Project PU Sample Teams V2 [accepting submissions] [ORAS only]

Crutch

The lack of Monferno in these sample teams is disturbing, so let’s change that! Monferno fills so many useful roles on offensive natured teams that it’s hard not to use it. It checks dangerous mons like Mightyena and Pawniard, gives the team some priority and can act as a late game wincon. This is so splashable because it’s guaranteed to put in work each and every game and forces the opponent to play in very obvious ways so that they don’t lose to this. Ferno is so good some might call it a crutch...

Colbur Berry Grumpig was chosen as blanket check for many of the mons gaining popularity in PU such as Machoke, Roselia, Rotom-F, Monferno, and Mr.Mime. Taunt is great utility for slower-natured bulky teams you’ll often find on ladder and makes it hard for stall to function. This is just the standard set and not much explanation is really needed. This synergizes with Monferno which beats most dark types that would otherwise trouble pig. Pig also can take on opposing Monferno and Machoke which helps Boufflant and Golem, respectively.

SubWisp Rotom-F is really good against ladder and you’ll find that with a sub up you can sometimes just win or take down multiple mons and make it easy for Floatzel and Ferno to clean up. Self-explanatory really.

AV Boufflant is another one of those mons I use on bulky offense often, especially when I’m using Monferno! Checks pretty much every special attacker and traps psychics such as Grumpig, Mr. Mime and Kadabra so that Monferno can potentially sweep. This team lacks a solid water switch-in so use this wisely try to pursuit trap a Floatzel, Basculin or Simipour trying to get out. Facade is cool to switch into scalds without fearing burns.
Edit: Forgot that I mostly ran Facade to help with SubWisp Rotom-F as well

Golem is the best offensive rocker and is useful as an electric, flying, and normal resist. Also gives the team some priority which is always useful.

I chose Floatzel as the team’s scarfer because it can act as a water check if need be while still cleaning very effectively. Baton Pass gives you free momentum if your opponent tries to switch out which is always appreciated on offensive teams.

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Floatzel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Veil
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Baton Pass

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cat Food

So this team is built around the core of Nasty Plot Raichu and Scarf Chatot. Raichu is typically used to set up a nasty plot a break though Mons such as Audino, Roselia and the Numerous Rock and Steel types in the tier allowing Chatot to come in and clean. Roselia is used to help with the likes of Floatzel and Zebstrika as both threaten Raichu and Banded Aqua Jet threatens both Chatot as well. I opted out for Relicanth as i have Raichu on the team as a Volt Absorber and Relicanth cores better with Roselia overall, this also allows you to play 50 50's against Scarf Rotom in a pinch. Grumpig is here to help check the likes of Mr.Mime as with out it it would make this team pretty much get 6-0ed by it, it is also great for luring in Pawnaird as it is also another huge threat to the tea. Monferno in the last slot it aids in checking Pawnaird as well and it's dual STAB is incredible right now. as a final note Monferno is Jolly as it wants to always out speed Grumpig as U-turn puts pressure on it and also helps weaken it for Chatot.

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 168 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Monferno @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Mach Punch

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm not good with team names

This team features a great Rotom-f+Monferno voltturn core which allows the team to easily gain momentum to draw out and wear down a slew of mons such as vullaby, grumpig, stunfisk, solrock, etc. Arbok is a great holepuncher/wincon and really benefits from the previously mentioned core wearing down a ton of Arbok checks. Next on the team was Bouffalant as I realized I had a horrible weakness to psychic types namely Mr.Mime and kadabra, bouff also allows the team to have a much better matchup against fast electrics and grass mons in general. Golem was the teams much needed rocker, I decided to go with a sp def variant as this team really appreciates not only the longevity but also the additional bulk for checking thinks like chatot, dodrio, and rapidash. Politoed was the last mon as I had no dedicated answer to water types Banded Floatzel and Basculin being the main threats.

Monferno @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Coil

EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sorry if the team description was booty btw, the team went through quite a lot of changes and I just wanted to describe it in the order it was currently in instead of going through the complicated string of changes that made the team what it is now.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I'm not good with team names

This team features a great Rotom-f+Monferno voltturn core which allows the team to easily gain momentum to draw out and wear down a slew of mons such as vullaby, grumpig, stunfisk, solrock, etc. Arbok is a great holepuncher/wincon and really benefits from the previously mentioned core wearing down a ton of Arbok checks. Next on the team was Bouffalant as I realized I had a horrible weakness to psychic types namely Mr.Mime and kadabra, bouff also allows the team to have a much better matchup against fast electrics and grass mons in general. Golem was the teams much needed rocker, I decided to go with a sp def variant as this team really appreciates not only the longevity but also the additional bulk for checking thinks like chatot, dodrio, and rapidash. Politoed was the last mon as I had no dedicated answer to water types Banded Floatzel and Basculin being the main threats.

Monferno @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

Arbok @ Black Sludge
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Coil

EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Politoed @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sorry if the team description was booty btw, the team went through quite a lot of changes and I just wanted to describe it in the order it was currently in instead of going through the complicated string of changes that made the team what it is now.
nice team

get added

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sand Doge

I started with Hippopotas + Stoutland, the former being a good physical wall and stealth rocker, the latter being able to outspeed every pokemon in the tier thanks to sand rush.
Max SpD Roselia gives the team a good switch into the majority of the special attackers in the tier and provides Spikes.
I chose Cryogonal because is the best rapid spinner for this kind of offensive teams.
Altaria is the counter to opposing Monferno. The evs spread allows it to outspeed neutral nature 60 base speed pokemons. I chose roar for the 4th slot as it gives me the possibility to phaze away the opposing pokemons that want to set up after i go for a draco, and because roselia has spikes. Hippo has whirlwind for the same reason.
Finally, Monferno is the second good wincon. With sd, it represents a good late game cleaner, and can heavily damage ghosts like Misdreavus and Gourgeist for Stoutland

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Stoutland @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Crunch

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Cryogonal @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Recover

Altaria @ Life Orb
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Roar

Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

The Dirty Boys (and a girl)

I used ladder using the sample teams (Sand Doge and Crutch were the two I used, creds to the makers of those teams) but recently I decided that I was going to create a team of my own, mostly because I wanted to try out Audino. So far I've seen quite a bit of success, breaking the top 70 on the ladder.

Most of these sets are pretty standard. I did change a couple things, like the EVs on Swords Dance Pawniard, and I'm pretty sure most Scarf Rotoms are Timid. This team's only real weakness is Machoke. However, it's a damn huge weakness. There are no flying or Psychic moves to be found on any of these pokes, and four of them are weak to his STAB.

I'm frankly quite proud of this team (including the Audino set I created without a smogon guide, yay!) so I hope it serves new players well on the ladder. Enjoy PU!

Floatzel (M) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Baton Pass

Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Monferno (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Audino (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 105 Def / 150 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Pawniard (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Golem (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The Dirty Boys (and a girl)

I used ladder using the sample teams (Sand Doge and Crutch were the two I used, creds to the makers of those teams) but recently I decided that I was going to create a team of my own, mostly because I wanted to try out Audino. So far I've seen quite a bit of success, breaking the top 70 on the ladder.

Most of these sets are pretty standard. I did change a couple things, like the EVs on Swords Dance Pawniard, and I'm pretty sure most Scarf Rotoms are Timid. This team's only real weakness is Machoke. However, it's a damn huge weakness. There are no flying or Psychic moves to be found on any of these pokes, and four of them are weak to his STAB.

I'm frankly quite proud of this team (including the Audino set I created without a smogon guide, yay!) so I hope it serves new players well on the ladder. Enjoy PU!

Floatzel (M) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Baton Pass

Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Monferno (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Audino (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 105 Def / 150 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Pawniard (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Golem (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
So since nobody else has responded to this for a while I figured I'd respond to this. Basically, samples are supposed to be standard, basic teams that anybody can pick up and use to learn the tier. This has a lot of unusual and arguably outclassed EV spreads (the phys def on audino and reduced speed investment on golem mostly), some interesting sets you generally wouldn't pass to newer players (wish audino without protect?), and in general can't switch into some pretty important mons (most notably, Monferno and Machoke hit 4 members for SE damage and you have no fighting resists). You're welcome to submit something else, but this won't be added.
Sorry if I'm running into your area raiza but this kinda got ignored so yeah

I'd just like to say that your team is working wonders for me. I haven't played much since the Shoddy Battle days (Gen4 UU rain ftw!) but decided to hop in and pick a sample team here to try out Gen6 PU. Even with rusty mistakes abound and not knowing type advantages anymore, I'm something like 7-0 or 8-0 (I've lost count now) and astonished that I haven't yet lost.

Love the Floatzel (was a mainstay on my old rain team) - I think most people expect physical, so I get some good kills there. Golem apparently is a common lead so there's not much to say there. Bouffalant's Sap Sipper is great at catching people off guard, especially on sun teams. Haven't had a good chance to really use the fridge to its Substitute strengths, but obviously fantastic coverage for picking off weakened Pokemon. Haven't really used Grumpig much either, but a fantastic special sponge.

And Monferno? Love him. Absolute monster. Swords Dance as they switch out on him and off he goes.

PureUgly:

Purugly @ Silk Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Return
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 128 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock

Grumpig @ Colbur berry
EVs: 84 HP / 200 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 242 HP / 252 Def / 14 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Spikes

Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

If the name of this team is not clear enough, I think that by looking at both Relicanth and Purugly you'll understand the title of this team. These were two Pokemon that I decided to be the base of the team generally. Purugly as an annoying Fake Out/Knock Off spammer and Relicanth setting up rocks and scaring off birds with its powerful STAB Head Smash. I understand that the two of them are decimated by Machoke. That's why I decided to add Colbur berry Grum and Brave Bird Vullaby to the mix. Even with a base Speed of 112, Purugly still fears Pokemon that may be potentially faster than it and that deal heavy damage like Floatzel and Zebstrika. This is the reason why I added Roselia to the team, Roselia is able to take on both Floatzel and Zebstrika, (Since Floatzel can run various sets I decided to add some bulk in its defense stat in case you're faced with banded Floatzel) and create pressure setting up spikes making the opponent switch into Pokemon that either Relicanth (Vullaby, Swanna, Armaldo) and Purugly (Cryogonal) can take or just switch in to Purugly while your opponent defogs to absorb the delicious +2 boost by Defiant in the attack stat.

Since this was one of my first few teams in PU, playing a lot with it has granted me the opportunity of spotting some of its weaknesses like
Rotom-F. Even tho this team has Monferno, while Rotom-F is around, the team should be played around smartly, not getting either Grumpig or Monferno too weakened.

BAN(d)Mr. Meme

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Surf
- Hurricane

As I previously discussed in the Cores thread Gourgeist-Super and Camerupt share good synergy with each other. As Gourgeist tanks things like incoming Earthquakes and heavy hitting physical moves from Pokemon like Machoke, CB Floatzel, or Stoutland and then deal status, hit them with a powerful Foul Play,
leech their health away, and potentially recover the lost health back with Synthesis. While Camerupt can take on Pokemon like Roselia, Cryogonal, or other Pokemon that can hit Gourgeist with a great amount of damage. I chose Stoutland because of its capabilities of creating massive havoc for unprepared teams and break their walls, or even potentially clean late game. Mr. Mime can be a great scarfer with its spammable STAB Fairy/Psychic moves, I also chose it over other scarfers because of its ability Soundproof. Without Gourgeist the team can be pretty weak to scarf users like Chatot that likes to spam its STAB Boomburst and create holes in the opponent's team. Switching into the correct time can cause great momentum to your advantage as Chatot is forced to switch and you can proceed to spam your attacks. Healing Wish benefits Pokemon like Stoutland if weakened at battle to help them clean up the match. Since Stoutland is naturally slower than Pokemon like Floatzel, I added Zebstrika. Zebstrika can also break through Pokemon that tend to be used for physical defense like Lumineon, or Prinplup. Finally, Swanna is used for defog support since this team does not appreciate hazards like Sticky Webs, SR, Spikes, etc. It can help against Pokemon like Monferno although a physically defensive Swanna could take it much better.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Gears in Motion

Internal Clockwork (Klang) @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Fresh Pine (Quilladin) @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis

Vesuvious (Camerupt) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Protect

Uzumaki (Grumpig) (M) @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

Flash (Raichu) (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Fake Out
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sail (Floatzel) (F) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Return
The team is built around Klang, a really underrated sweeper at the moment and it works very well on semi stall. Roselia is a perfect partner as it can help to deal with Bulky Water-types also helps to get check Golem. I added Camerupt to resist Fire-type attacks for the team as well as add Stealth Rocks. It can aid against Rotom-Frost in case it lands a Trick against Klang. Grumpig helps against Ice and Psychic-types as well as being an offensive check to Fighting-types. Colbur is so it can also beat Arbok and not get Pursuit trapped as easily. Raichu is nice for a revenge killer that works well offensively against Flying and Water-types. HP Ice can hit Gabite. Fake Out can be used over Tbolt to beat WP Golem's Study since it is a major threat to the team. I felt like I needed something offensively for Fire-types so I went with Choice Banded Floatzel, mainly Choice Band because the team lacked anything physical outside Klang.

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Gears in Motion

Internal Clockwork (Klang) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gracia (Roselia) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Toxic Spikes
- Sleep Powder

Vesuvious (Camerupt) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Protect

Uzumaki (Grumpig) (M) @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

Flash (Raichu) (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Fake Out
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sail (Floatzel) (F) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Return
The team is built around Klang, a really underrated sweeper at the moment and it works very well on semi stall. Roselia is a perfect partner as it can help to deal with Bulky Water-types as well as lay Toxic Spikes which helps to get residual damage during Klang's slow set up process. I added Camerupt to resist Fire-type attacks for the team as well as add Stealth Rocks. It can aid against Rotom-Frost in case it lands a Trick against Klang. Grumpig helps against Ice and Psychic-types as well as being an offensive check to Fighting-types. Colbur is so it can also beat Arbok and not get Pursuit trapped as easilly. Raichu is nice for a revenge killer that works well offensively against Flying and Water-types. HP Ice can hit Gabite. Fake Out can be used over Tbolt to beat WP Golem's Study since it is a major threat to the team. I felt like I needed something offensively for Fire-types so I went with Choice Banded Floatzel, mainly Choice Band because the team lacked anything physical outside Klang.
I'd go Quilladin > Roselia on this team as while you have answers to Golem, you lack a switchin to it as Earthquake 2HKOes everything on this team.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Frost and Flight

Regice @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane

Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Focus Blast

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb

So I've been trying to get back into PU lately, and this is my latest team, built around Rock Polish Regice, a very deadly and somewhat underrated sweeper at the moment, with it's bulk to set up and amazing power and coverage to demolish unprepared teams. I paired Swanna up with him to Defog Stealth Rocks away and to have a good check to Fire types and a soft check to Machoke, and it can wallbreak pretty efficiently with it's great dual STABs, which a lot of teams are unprepared for these days. Monferno provides a good offensive presence and also adds another check to Grass-types. Swords Dance is an option over U-Turn to have another win condition and wallbreaker, but I like U-Turn for pivoting out of bad situations. Scarf Mr. Mime adds a nice late-game cleaner and revenge killer, and a check to Chatots as well, and Healing Wish is amazing to bring one of the teammates back to life. I added a defensive backbone of Stunfisk and Gourgeist-XL to check a lot of threats in the metagame, including Normal-types and Golem on Gourgeist's side, and Monferno and Flying-types on Stunfisk's end. Stunfisk is also our Stealth Rocker here. Overall this is a very solid bulky offense / balanced team, and I hope you all like it! n_n

Fall To Light

Hey guys, im gonna share my "infamous" HJAD balance team today because after being knocked out of PU Seasonal, i quickly realised that i wouldn't be using it anymore, and that it was well past its sell-by date as a tour-game winning team. iirc i went 7-1 this pu seasonal with this team, and was my main fallback should i be lacking inspiration to build or just needed a solid team which could win at a moments notice. It works extremely effectively on the ladder due to the nature of how its built, hence why im presenting it here to the sample teams, since even though im done with, others may need something to use.

When i built this team, i really wanted to build around bu milk drink gogoat. Previously i thought it was an extremely underrated pokemon, huge special defense, physdef + phys attack boosting move and reliable recovery meant that i thought, even if it wasn't sweeping games outright, i could use it as a very reliable pivot switch into waters, grasses, or anything really which cant break its huge special defense (specifically kadabra, and other weak mons). When i had this mon in the teambuilder i remember thinking about some of my favourite teams of the past in PU, and one thing they all had in common was an abudance of settup sweepers backed up by a solid defensive core. So i tried to replicate that with this team, have several bulky settup mons which would outlast the opponent, and therefore sweep given time for the other team to be worn down. With this in mind, i added a SubCM Grumpig to the team. Gogoat is easily broken by Fire-Types (stuff like ninetales, simisear) and Ice-Types alike (rotom-f mainly), so i thought the addition of a grumpig would be useful. Its ability to settup on these types of mons is huge boon to the team, and gives us a great method of breaking stall teams due to the power of power psychic-fighting coverage. I added Klang in the 3rd spot for its ability to be an impressive flying / normal switchin that could also potentially clean in the late game. My team can often outlast the likes of stunfisk, with the previous 2 mons easily using it as settup fodder, only really fearing a toxic coming their way. Klang i think has finally consolidated itself as a decent flying / normal type check in PU, because restalk combined with a settup move means it seldom loses momentum. Beware though, if you have to switch out with this thing still asleep after a rest, you will lose tonnes of momentum trying to wake it up. If you've resorted to that, its almost exclusively a pivot switch into normal / flying types, just beware about mons that can settup on mono-steel coverage. I added Arbok as a 4th settup sweeper, but mainly as an offensive check to Machoke and Roselia. At the time i built this team, both of these mons were hugely popular, and therefore i used arbok as a result to make sure they wouldnt get huge amounts of momentum, even though machoke at times is still really hard to deal with considering it just knocks off / dpunches and switches out. I added swanna because i really didnt have immediate power, i also didnt have a way of beating hazards stack teams, so swanna offered me a way of doing 2 utilitys in one mon. Its also a mon i can really abuse in dealing with machoke, since people often lack switches to this thing thanks to the power of flying / water coverage. Finally, i added myself a physically defensive gabite. i really needed a check to all physical attackers, stuff like monferno, pawniard and rapidash were all causing huge issues at this last stage, so i ended up opting with gabite. whats nice about gabite is that it can beat its defog checks thanks to toxic + roar, so that you can have rocks up almost all the time should it be neccesary. I like the utility of physically defensive gabite, its a good switchin for electrics which would otherwise rack up huge damage in conjunction with spikes.

Some other options for this team is running Scarf Swanna > Life Orb Breaker Swanna. I realised revenge killing at one point was an issue to this team, so out of no real other options, i changed swanna to scarf with defog, tailwind, scald and hurricane. its still something im testing to this day, but i reckon the old version with life orb breaker is still superior.

Finally some threats include common balance breakers, np mime, sd ursaring, sd pawniard. its also semi-weak to rotom-f, it requires some good reads to really beat it. pawniard is annoying, and specifically physical floatzel which i lack an out an out switchin for. how i beat that is by pivoting in and out of klang / gogoat, and trying to whittle it down with hazards.

Gabite @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Toxic

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Klang @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gogoat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Arbok @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

hope u guys enjoy :>

STANDARD BORING OL' CRUSTLE SPIKES HO
Crustle @ Custap Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor / Stone Edge

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Facade
- Crunch

Monferno @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Mach Punch

Electrode @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

Floatzel @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
Team is as standard as it gets but was lacking and uses Crustle fairly well (went 19-1 on the ladder if you care). Built around breaking stuff with Stoutland and cleaning with Electrode/Floatzel, uses well Monferno's ability to weaken Stunfisk and Water-types and Stoutland's tendency to lure in bulky grounds. Ice Punch Floatzel also has nice synergy with Electrode. You can replace Ice Beam if you want to but it works fine in my opinion and i like the better hit on Tangela, Quilladin, Leafeon, etc.

Good Team

Crustle @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Gabite @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

So here's a pretty solid balance team built around SS Crustle and a strong wallbreaker in Specs Politoed. Specs Politoed basically pressures bulky Ground-types a ton as well as bulky Grass-types, which are some of Crustle's most common checks. Toxic Gabite is really nice for wearing down Gourgeist-XL and limiting it's switchins. The bulky core is Gourgeist-XL (mainly to check Machoke) along with Vullaby, which can be somewhat hard to break. The team is pretty weak to Regice though, so try and do your best of weakening it with Gabite if it tries to switch in or sace Crustle's Sturdy to OHKO it. gl.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
DOUBLE POST:

Monferno Offense

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish
- Focus Blast

Dusknoir @ Life Orb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch

Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Synthesis
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Sunny Day

This team is pretty fun, and can be variable if you fine tune it to fit your preferences (more on this at the end of the description).

Mr. Mime setting up a Future Sight will do one of two things: 1) bring in fat Psychic types, which you can then Pursuit trap with Dusknoir. Bringing in Grumpig for example will weaken it significantly, at which point you've removed your opponent's defensive answer to Rotom-F and Monferno.

Or 2), it'll bring in Dark types to absorb the Future Sight - if you predict this, you can easily Dazzling Gleam on the switch, or even just switch to Monferno and threaten them out as you gain initiative to Swords Dance. Bringing in Dark types like this relieves a lot of the pressure from Dusknoir; in return for keeping Dusknoir alive, Dusknoir will pressure the hell out of Grumpig, Stunfisk, and Altaria for Monferno with its Ghost STAB/Pursuit, Earthquake, and Ice Punch, respectively (it also has enough Speed for base 50s like Metang, as well as a LO number in HP with that spread). Pursuit + Sneak is also hugely important for hitting Ninjask here, which can be a threat if Golem is down and Leafeon isn't healthy enough to Sunny Day + Knock Off.

Golem stops Volt Switch, sets up SR, and often just threatens other teams by itself early-game, but if Golem is fainted early on, the team has two other forms of priority in addition to Golem's own Sucker Punch to take on faster threats like Zebstrika and Rotom-F (i.e. Dusknoir's Shadow Sneak and Monferno's Mach Punch).

Leafeon does several things on this team: it's your primary Ground resist, Floatzel check (has Yache for that), can reset weather vs Sand and Rain teams thanks to Yache and Sunny Day, cleans up late game with the Speed gained from Chlorophyll, and weakens Vullaby for Dusknoir and Monferno by bringing it in and removing its Eviolite via Knock Off. Toxic is an option over Sunny Day to weaken stuff like Gourgeist-Super and Vullaby further, but having a late game cleaner that's faster than any Scarfer (and Ninjask) is actually pretty reliable, even if the set looks weird. Sunny Day boosting Synthesis's recovery and powering up Monferno's Flare Blitz to the point +2 Flare Blitz can OHKO Stunfisk after Rocks are great bonuses too. Other Grass-types work well in that last slot, so long as they resist Ground, but I think Yache Leafeon is best here.

Optionally, you can change your Scarfer to throw off opponents: change Rotom-F to SubWisp and Mime to Scarf in that case, so if you want to use this Sample more than once against the same opponent, change it up a little between rounds. If you find the way in which Future Sight lures in certain Pokemon to be unreliable, Nasty Plot sets that bluff a Choice set or even Specs sets are quite usable here, alternatively.

Scarf Dodrio Balance

Leafeon @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace / Double-Edge
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Frustration
- Brave Bird

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Protect / Toxic
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 16 Def / 208 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Protect
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I wanted to build a balance team that addressed a large portion of the meta's most prominent threats, so I ended up with this configuration as a result.

Leafeon functions as the team's primary Ground resist, secondary switchin to physical Water-types like Floatzel if Lumineon is down, Stallbreaker (especially if you use Lum over LO to get an extra hit on Geist-XL), a Monferno lure (+2 LO AA OHKOes any variant of Monferno, save for the rare physically defensive variant), and is used to break down Stealth Rockers like Stunfisk and Golem for Dodrio's sake.

I have a core of Golem + Lumineon + Grumpig handling threats central to the meta such as Adamant SD Monferno, Rotom-F, Dodrio, Stoutland, Floatzel, RP Regice, etc., with a faster offensive Colbur Grumpig using its Speed and item to help its teammates by hitting Machoke, Pawniard, and Adamant Arbok too.

12 Spe EVs allow Lumineon to outspeed Pawniard to burn it with Scald, and offensive Roselia by 1 point; this lets it U-Turn on offensive Roselia into Sap Sipper Zeb in order to take those predictable Leaf Storms / Giga Drains if necessary. Protect and Toxic should both be present on this team, so you can choose where to place each move (both easily fit on Golem and Lumineon). If you use Protect on Lumineon, it's also awesome for avoiding Golem's Explosion (albeit WP Sucker Punch is more common than Custap Explosion currently), while easing prediction against Rotom-F and other Scarfers like Simisage / Simipour.

Zebstrika helps complete that balance core by taking on Grass-types that would otherwise man-handle Golem + Lumineon (think Roselia, Jumpluff, etc.), checking Floatzel, and forming a momentum core with Lumineon's slower U-Turn with its faster Volt Switch that, in turn, allows you to pivot into Leafeon more easily for a sweep.

Scarf Dodrio cleans and is faster than the majority of the meta, just save for things like Agility Kingler, Scarf Modest Floatzel, and Scarf Simis. It functions as a secondary Sleep Absorb thanks to Early Bird (the first being Sap Sipper Zeb for Sleep Powders), and its Knock Off is useful for breaking down Eviolite users while its Pursuit is helpful for getting chip damage on other Grumpig and Roselia (and even weaker Pokemon like Kadabra and Cryogonal when your opponent is aware Dodrio is Scarfed). Lumineon's Defog is important for allowing Dodrio to come in multiple times, especially because Brave Bird recoil + SR damage can add up over time.

Finally, I slashed Protect for Golem to help with predicting which attacks Stoutland and Rotom-F will be using (Superpower or Frustration, and Electric STABs or Blizzard, respectively), and for extra turns of recovery via Leftovers. If you use Protect on Lumineon, you should use Toxic on Golem for hitting Grass-types like Gourgeist-XL, Gogoat, and Leafeon on the switch once SR has been set up. Golem's spread is unique, and 32 Atk EVs OHKO Pawniard 100% of the time with Earthquake, 16 EVs in Def + Impish give it a jump point in Defense (and that extra defense from Impish lets Golem avoid the 2HKO from Pawniard's Iron Head), 4 Speed outruns other neutral-natured, uninvested base 45s, while the rest of its EVs maximize HP and SpDef. Enjoy!

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Athletic
026.png
426.png
457.png
291.png
444.png
326.png

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Drifblim @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 36 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Knock Off

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog
- Toxic

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Dig

Gabite @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Dragon Claw

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Built this squad around Raichu since it's got the unique ability to punish Golem, Stunfisk, Spdef dino, etc that other elecs can't do as well. Drifblim capitalizes on breaking to sweep teams and it's a cool mon in general with sucker being underrated. Lumineon provides the Defog support the rest of the team needs and a slow pivot which can take on waters and golem, all the perfect role compression here. Ninjask is the offensive revenge killer and secondary cleaner that helps chip most of Blimp's targets and get stuff in with a faster turn. Then Gabite and Grumpig round out the defensive core by providing rocks and checks to random physical things, Ice-types, Fire-types, etc. Doesn't switch into everything but has the offensive pressure to take on most stuff. If you read this far than speed for Stoutland on Grumpig is a fine option as well.

Last edited:
A trip to the zoo

508.png
326.png
391.png
523.png
394.png
338.png

lil jimmy (Monferno) (F) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

sun screen (Solrock) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rock Slide

andalusian (Zebstrika) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

big ol' doggo (Stoutland) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

skeek (Grumpig) @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

noot noot (Prinplup) @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Toxic

So it's been a while since I've made a team with my bae SD Monferno, so I said, why not make today the day? SD Monferno hates fat psychic types like Grumpig, and Pursuit Stoutland aids in their weakening, as well as the weakening of practically everything else in the tier for SD Monferno to come in later on and sweep. At this point, I realized that I had no switch-in to either Monferno or Machoke, so I decided to use Prinplup to get up rocks and act as a secondary check to Monferno should Grumping fail. Grumpig helps against the aforementioned Fighting-types, while also dealing fairly well with Solrock, which Monferno and Stoutland do not like. Zebstrika adds some speed to this team, and can be used as a last-ditch effort to weaken Ursaring for Monferno to KO it afterwards. Finally, we have Defensive Solrock, a great blanket check to various physical threats to this team.

This team has worked well for me so far, and it doesn't seem to be going down anytime soon. Thanks to Teddeh for helping me out a bit with this team!
[/hide]

Attachments

Last edited:
Might want a normal resist > vibrava, solrock in particular if you want one that can handle golem pretty easily still

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)