The name thread (where you do not necessarily have to give your name)

How do you feel about your own real-life name? Do you like it? Is it too weird? Is it too basic? Any funny name stories to share, perhaps name change stories, or naming stories? This is pretty much a thread for your nombres and nombres only, but you don't necessarily have to say your name if you want to post. Just talk about it.

For example, my name is quite weird (I use a pseudonym here) to the point where everybody, and I mean everybody I have ever met, has mispronounced it on the first try. It's not that I'm a foreigner, since I'm pretty sure only about 3 people in the world share my first name (and nobody shares my whole one). Sometimes I like it, and sometimes (when I correct people and then they forget again) they hate it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It should be fairly evident that I like my last name. Granted, most people spell it wrong, even with the flawed (but still common) mantra about i before e. And on the forums it will be Fielder a lot.

I barely remember that I have a first name. Sometimes I think about it and it feels weird, like it's not mine. It's fairly fitting in meaning, and I like Irish stuff, but whereas I largely chose my last name, I didn't choose my first name, and that's probably where the difference comes from.

My IRL name, Philip, has always been a cool name to have. Like for starters urban dictionary says I have a big dick- no other name would say something like that. Also 2 famous kings, Philip II of Macedonia and Philip II of Spain, were p cool dudes and shared the different spelling of Philip (it's usually spelled Phillip) with me :^]
For those of you who don't know, Philip II of Macedonia was the first ever person to actually conquer Greece and was the father of Alexander the Great, and Philip II of Spain married Bloody Mary like a real nigga

I love my name but it's hard for english speakers to say it as it is a Arabic name so it has that hard H sound. So ever since I was in elementary school I had to "simplify it'.

ح <---ur a real pal

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like my name tbh. There is always the awkward moment where someone would ask me what my name is and i'd tell them and then they'll be confused and I have to say it again like 3 times at least. Worst case scenario is, and this is if all else fails, I'll tell them it's like Badger but without the g (so just bader). A lot of people, especially those who read my name first instead of me telling them, would pronounce it like vader, which is wrong, so that's another awkward moment where I'll have to correct them as well.

Lately I've been just letting them pronounce it like that tho lmao, cuz too many people have started pronouncing my name like that to the point where it doesn't matter/I don't care anymore (besides its kinda cool tbh).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like my name tbh. There is always the awkward moment where someone would ask me what my name is and i'd tell them and then they'll be confused and I have to say it again like 3 times at least. Worst case scenario is, and this is if all else fails, I'll tell them it's like Badger but without the g (so just bader). A lot of people, especially those who read my name first instead of me telling them, would pronounce it like vader, which is wrong, so that's another awkward moment where I'll have to correct them as well.

Lately I've been just letting them pronounce it like that tho lmao, cuz too many people have started pronouncing my name like that to the point where it doesn't matter/I don't care anymore (besides its kinda cool tbh).
So "bayder" is badder, but "badder" is better, right?

"How do you pronounce your name?"

"That's a unique name"

*silence while I continue scanning their groceries*

My name is Aryan and I am a cashier. It's an Iranian name, and it's been around millennia longer than Nazi Germany, but I don't always have the energy to explain the origins of my name to every single person.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Titus is a cool name, but one that lends itself easily to mockery. Despite that I am proud to share my name with a p shit roman emperor and maybe some biblical figure, a cousin of a apostle or something.

My other names are Lieuwe and Schuurmans. One very Frisian and one very Dutch name.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've never been a huge fan of my name, which is Sam. But I take great solace in the fact that at least I wasn't named Keith.

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
sir if you are talking about titus flavius vespasianus sabinus then you are sorely mistaken as vespasian was the greatest emperor of all time

i'm indifferent about my name tbh
"shane" doesn't lend itself well to like signatures and neither does my last name, too many points to make it look cool
and gdi every time someone calls me shane dawson i wanna nutpunch them
but there was that cowboy movie is guess

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
Well he may have conquered the jews but he was emperor for only 2 years, thats an embarassment

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My irl name, Matt, shows just how much of a Jesus freak my mother is. Matthew comes from a Hebrew word meaning "Gift of God," which my mom apparently thought I was -_-

(My dad had no say in this, btw. If he did, my name would be Charles.)

It's a decent enough name, though, so I try to forget what it means the majority of the time.

My name is David. I have a couple stories with my name. My first name was chosen to be David because my brother was obsessed with "David the Gnome" - a cartoon that was on in the late 80s/early 90s (You may have remembered it by the "I'm going to slap your shit" meme). Meanwhile, my middle name "Andrew" was literally chosen by my father so my initials could potentially stand for "Digital-to-Analog Converter". I am super serious about all of that.

My name is my name. I never thought about it or not. It's rather standard. It's my last name that people have problems with and eh...long story short, the "c"s are pronounced like "s"es not like "k"s and ESPECIALLY not like "ch"s... It honestly isn't that bad, but it does usually involve at least one conversation.

fx

moon tourism
everyone with these cool ass names and im sitting here like damn my names basic as fuck. does anyone else despise parents who try to give their child some uber 'unique' name and it ends up being really terrible so now yhe kid has to live with it for the rest of their life (unless they change it ofc) like jeez some people naming their kids after god damn POKEMON

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My name is disgustingly common in my country, so damn common that there were 4 Antonella's in a class of 25 people... And one wasn't even me. But! In general, people of PS/Smogon think is nice and somewhat unique, though they pronounce it wrong most of the time, though it doesn't bother me at all (it's Italian, for the record)

The "LL" is just one L (see: bella in Italian, or Isabella) and the first "A" is pronounced in a really different way to what most PS people think, who usually say it as "ant"; but yeah, not really

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
My name is quite uncommon everywhere I think, Barrett, pronouced Bear_Ret, literally translates to "As strong as a bear". Quite fitting considering I am 6'5 and similarly my initials are either B.S for my first and last name or B.L.I.S for my whole name... that's all really... and yes I do like my name as it is unique and not boring like John (Sorry Johns) or Alex (Sorry Alexs)...

My name is Bailey and I am a male so I get a lot of "I know a lot of girl Baileys" or the worst, "My dog's name is Bailey" :'( I've also never met another male Bailey so if you're out there let's get through this struggle together lol. I'm not really sure why my parents named me this, I think it's because they thought it was unique.

My girlfriend's name is Jordan so we always joke about switching our names due to the fact that Jordan is primarily a male name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)