The name thread (where you do not necessarily have to give your name)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
wouldn't wish the name keith on anybody. p much unanimously considered a terrible name, and for good reason—it sounds retarded.

that's not to say i feel uncomfortable with my name, like it doesn't fit me or something, and I don't go by a different name, but if by some miracle i find a girl willing to make a family with me, there's sure as hell not gonna be any Keith Juniors

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tyler's pretty cool I guess though I feel like most Tyler's aren't quite my personality type

Also my middle initial is Y and I don't think I've met anyone else with Y as a middle initial so that's pretty unique I suppose

Obvious from my name, but I do like my name. It sounds nice. Although as some have pointed out, it's kind of a "grandma name". I also like my last name, but people have the tendency to mispronounce it because of an extra E just before the end.

Helen also means shining light in Greek. When we study history in my school and we do something with Greece one person is always like "It's Helen of Troy!" which I don't mind, I just find it funny.

I love how short both my first and last names are, 8 letters total. My name is Kody its a common name spelled weird, and I haven't met anyone irl with the same name yet.

My name is Luke and I think it's a pretty cool name. But as you can probably guess, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Nothing unusual there, SW is pretty awesome. And it just so happens that Star Wars came out when my dad was growing up. Is it also a coincidence that my dad's favorite character was Darth Vader and that 23 years after the original movie came out, I was born and given the name of Luke(The name of the protagonist for you uncultured people who still haven't seen Star Wars)? My dad denies it every time I bring it up but I KNOW that I was named after Star Wars. And yes, the "Luke, I am your father" jokes have gotten old.

And yes, the "Luke, I am your father" jokes have gotten old.
not to mention the quote is actually "no, I am your father." as a fellow luke this always killed me growing up

in Greek tradition, you're always named at your baptism, after your paternal grandfather/grandmother. the name is given to the priest by your godfather, and then that's your name. my grandfather's grandfather was named Loukillianos (translates roughly to Lucille), so that's the name my grandpa was supposed to get. As the story in my family goes, my grandfather's godfather showed up to the baptism piss drunk and couldn't say a name with that many syllables, so he fucked up and said some undecipherable stuff starting with the "luke" syllable. The priest made do and my grandpa was named Loukianos instead. So, keeping with tradition, that name was passed to me instead of the original

fun stuff

greeks are weird

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
My name is Molly (omg smog girl confirmed), and I've always liked my name. It works for both little girls and old ladies, so it'll always fit no matter my age. But then, this song came out:
Holy shit you have no idea how many times a day I hear about this song. The "Omg Molly I can't seem to find you", "Are you named after the drug", etc., jokes get really old and annoying. Otherwise I have no problem with it.

I've also heard a lot of "omg i have a dog named Molly!" and considering my dad had a dog named Molly growing up, I might be named after it.

Try figure it out :^)

But yeah my name is pretty common, in India anyway, I should know this because I live in England and go to India quite a lot. Quite happy with my name, nice n easy.

Jeong

Banned deucer.
My my real name personally do not like but neither dislike. I think common where I am while somewhat rare. My name is Kilian. Many people used to say "Killian" with an "L" more and that makes it worse (?)
I'm not sure if there are stories about my name ... What little is that it is of Irish origin and thus called a monk who was bishop shortly after. I think the meaning of my name is not seen, or something.

EV

Banned deucer.
I have two first names so it's quite common that someone calls me by my last name. It happens most often when people see the order reversed (last, first) on medical or official documents, but it has even happened in stuff like work-related emails where the order of my names is pretty cut and dry.

I like my name though. My first name has many different spelling variations and I consider the one I got the coolest. Also when I meet someone else with my spelling there always that "oh yours is spelled the right way" moment. It does sound like a few other names tho so people are always guessing wrong if they didn't catch it the first time. "Jared? Eric? Darren?"

Lina

Out of the Woods
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My real name is a common European name for girls (Lina) which is often mis-spelled to Linda, Leena, Leana, Liana, Lena and Liena. Last name is easier to spell and a common English surname. Don't have a middle name, Mum kinda deemed it unessasary. I like my name, as it's mostly unique where I live (other than the receptionist I met in high school XD). There's also a girl at my gymnastics club with the name Selina and I do tend to get confused if people are calling for her a lot, because it sounds so similar to mine.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
my name is kristofer (greek spelling) but everyone at my school calls me Kris, and earlier in January, people started calling me Kris Jenner just because my unassigned nickname is spelled the same way

oh and my last initial is J too so now people just assume my last name is Jenner when i dont write out my entire last name

help me

My name is Stephen (pronounced like Steven) and I like it, except for the fact that people always want to spell it with a V. Also, I have notice here lately that more people have asked me how I pronounce it, I guess I can thank Stephen Curry for that.

Also, my initials are SSS which is pretty cool I guess.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
one of my colleagues in the lab knew me exclusively by my surname for over six months until she had to introduce me to her partner and couldn't figure out my first name

my girlfriend almost pretty much exclusively calls me by variations on my surname, as do pretty much all my friends and colleagues. it's gotten to the point where it feels a bit weird to hear my name, which i'll leave as an exercise to the reader to figure out

My name is Caleb. It's pretty easy to pronounce, but almost everyone I've ever met has spelled it starting with a K and not a C. I guess they do that because it's a pretty uncommon name, so most people aren't sure how it's spelled. Another thing is my mom and dad named all of their kids after names in the Bible.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I'm the only Mathew with one t I've ever met. My Mom grew up in Quebec and there it is Mathieu so I think there was some confusion with the spelling or something. Pretty common name otherwise so it gets pretty annoying.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Patrick

I got this name because of my Irish ancestry (Irish on my mom's side, German on my dad's side) and I pretty much unequivocally hated it growing up. It was too easy to be called "Patrick Star" just based on my name alone, to the point where I got very close to having people call me by my incredibly cliche middle name (John,) until I realized it wouldn't fucking help when they found out my first name. Luckily, these "jokes" that weren't even funny the first time stopped eventually, namely when I changed schools because my mental breakdowns became so frequent and so severe that the school I was attending became unable to accommodate. Even now, when I don't get these kinds of jokes anymore, I still have such a bad history with my name that I want to change it and am pretty much only held back by the fact that my mom would see it as an attack because she's narcissistic enough to view disagreeing with any decision she makes (regardless of how minor or how irrelevant it actually is to parenting) as an attack.

My last name is even worse. I'm not posting it here, but nobody can spell it and nobody can pronounce it. I've numerous times had to correct people on the spelling of my last name just because they spelled it wrong and didn't see that yes, I did schedule an appointment, you just spelled my fucking name wrong when you searched to see if I had scheduled something. My last name is something I still wish to change, and I don't even give a shit that it would anger my parents. I'm just sick of having to correct people when they misspell or mispronounce my last name and having to spell it out for them every time I say what my last name is.

my name is ben linde. idc about the ancestry of it b.c frankly i'm of the impression that names in and of themselves have very little 'real' value, b.c i can just say "yo fuckface" and get the attention of the dude i need to speak with. still, it sets a pretty nice cadence, and is one of those names that just rolls off the tongue nicely, so i can dig that. to illustrate, back in high school my student id got misprinted with the last name of my homeroom teacher as my first name, so i was officially heaney benlinde to my school for my sophmore year.

My irl name, Matt, shows just how much of a Jesus freak my mother is. Matthew comes from a Hebrew word meaning "Gift of God," which my mom apparently thought I was -_-

(My dad had no say in this, btw. If he did, my name would be Charles.)

It's a decent enough name, though, so I try to forget what it means the majority of the time.
My name's Matteo, which is the Italian version of Matthew and holds the same meaning. However, neither of my parents are very religious, they just liked the name. It's a common name here in Italy and pretty much no one associates it heavily with religion. Overall, I am happy with my name.

My surname, instead, is very uncommon where I live, originating from southern Italy while I live in the far north. A lot of people mispronounce it: it begins with N and surnames starting with N are rare, so it's often mistaken for a M.

my irl name has kinda crossed over to the forums since all of my friends and most of the NU community knows me as Evan. I actually rly like my name, it's different enough to where there won't usually be 3 or 4 Evans around at the same time, but its common enough to where people know how it's pronounced / spelled etc. also +1 to my mom b/c apparently my dad wanted to name me keith and she wasn't having it.

I picked it, so it's a safe bet to say I like it :)

I hated my birth name and it had a lot of horrible memories and associations for me, and since I was little I'd wanted to legally change it. I'd been going by Alice for years online and felt it fit me a lot more better (I thought of myself as Alice, I got my mail addressed to Alice, etc.) so I finally took the plunge to tell people around me and change. I rarely encounter my birth name anymore and I'm a lot happier about that. It made sense on some level that I should choose my own name, one that would really represent both who I was and the person I tried to be, that caught aspects of my personality I didn't really feel were obvious, and spend time looking for the right name, so I floated between names before that.

I like having a name that is not that common for my generation but is still common enough to be easily intelligible and not ambiguous. My old name was a nightmare, I answered to about ten different things because nobody could pronounce or spell it, and my own father couldn't spell it. Worse, all the possible diminutive variants were awkward or didn't suit me, so nobody used them. I don't want children, but I would never give my child a complicated first name without a simple diminutive or middle name to fall back on.

For the record I changed all three names of mine for various reasons, I was pretty pleased to get rid of my family name too and literally nobody in my family was surprised I wanted to. Except maybe the parts that already disowned me (my middle name was partially to honour them as well and I hated it because it was a Super Elderly Person name so I saw no reason to keep it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)