The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If I had to describe perfection in one word, that word would be ERASED. I'm not even going to pretend that I've not watched all episodes four times now (barring ep 5, which I watched for the first time fifteen minutes ago due to my week up until then being hellishly packed) in an attempt to find something wrong with it (without sucess), and ep 5 was just as amazing as the rest of it has been. The characters are realistic and likeable, the soundtrack is amazing, the story is engaging and well-written, it looks really good... the list of characteristics goes on. It is everything that you could want from a supernatural / dark / psychological / seinen / any-other-genres-or-subgenres-it-may-fall-under anime and among some of the best television I think I have ever watched (and no that is not hyperbole). All of the praise it has recieved is well deserved, and it has rightfully skyrocketed to the top of my favourite television list :)

It sucks that I can't find the manga in stores, because I really want to read it but don't want to cheapscate it online.

If you guys want another opinion on Erased, I'll share mine.

Like, I think I only got a handle on the show after this last episode, but basically, it ham-fists the dramatic climax moments while being good at the in-between storytelling episodes. By the time episodes 2 & 3 came along and wowed me I didn't know why they were such a step up from the first episode (which I didn't like), and now episodes 4 & 5 made me cool down on the show again. A lot. When the show turns up the edge factor is when it gets me out of it.

A few examples of what I mean: (I don't want to ruin the show for you if y'all really enjoy it so read on if you're fine with that)
  1. The moment Satoru runs into his mother's death scene in episode 1 is really rushed and a lot of things are confusing, like why the neighbor would even consider the mother's son to be suspicious, or how the police spontaneously showed up en masse. You know. Those things. It's actually kind of a typical problem with these shows that are in a realistic setting and then completely fail to convey realism. Even worse knowing that it wasn't like that in the source material but A-1 wanted to cram the death scene in the first episode just so they could have a good hook.
  2. When Satoru enters the classroom on March 3rd at the very end of the 4th episode and the show goes all glum face just because Kayo didn't show up. Like, it would've been okay if the show had played off of Satoru's paranoia (because otherwise there are a gazillion other reasons why she didn't show up), but the way the whole world warps and turns dramatic meant one of two things: Kayo's death surely happened (which took me for a loop because no one actually knows it happened yet) or it's a really bad "oh but actually he was worried for nothing" cliffhanger. At least it wasn't a really bad cliffhanger because that would have been way worse.
  3. Ohhh nooooo the mittens scene. There had to have been a more subtle way to unveil Kayo's dismembered body. Seriously.
  4. Like, the whole scene where pizza girl punches the store owner. There were a few other ridiculous things before that (like the story of the dad who got divorced because he stole a chocolate bar), but the whole rage scene is really awkward. Store owner dude didn't come off as a bad guy - it makes sense that he would cooperate with the police. Actually, it does make sense that a 17 year old girl would get mad that her employer was basically going to sell her out to the police, but damn was that rough for no reason.
So yeah, that's my perspective. Friendly reminder that I did like most of everything else. Erased is a pretty exciting show overall but the dramatic parts are kind of a big flaw. C'est la vie, I guess.

sitting here extremely upset that active raid has a 5.99 on MAL
It's not a mainstream show for MAL so I kind of get it? It's one of those cases where MAL scores mean nothing, because the show is a really enjoyable seasonal thing to pass the time, not a canonical masterpiece that needs the anime community's recognition. "It's their loss."

Last edited:
Those are some pretty weak criticisms, though I'll agree episode 5 wasn't stellar.
Well, I brought the examples so you know where I'm coming from. The actual criticism would be "I think they keep hiccuping at the dramatic parts". Like, that there's some lack of understanding of how to execute those scenes. YMMV?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I mean, if I walked into a scene where someone was murdered, and another individual had blood on their hands, I probably would've had the same knee-jerk reaction as the women. And iirc, she never truly accused Satoru of the murder, she simply told the police what she saw as she walked in. If anything, Satoru made himself look guilty by freaking out and fleeing from the police (though his reaction was understandable).

The backstory of Katagirl's father was pretty dumb though.

Also, I have a simple yes/no question for those following the manga. Is Satoru's "Revival" ability ever explained later on? Or does it solely exist for the sake of a plot device?

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Man, Dagashi Kashi never fails to make me chuckle. Just watched today's ep and it continues to be very enjoyable.

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
I'm a bit worried about Erased getting super rushed on the second half: so far they adapted 15 manga chapters within 5 episodes, but the manga will have 44 chapters. The anime will be a standard season afaik, aka 12 episodes. So huhhh I don't know really, around 3 chapters per episode is not ideal, the final arc will be most likely rushed.

Also, I have a simple yes/no question for those following the manga. Is Satoru's "Revival" ability ever explained later on? Or does it solely exist for the sake of a plot device?
Nope. There's still one last chapter to come out next month, so maybe there will be an explanation, but I'm almost sure it won't.
I could be wrong 'cause I read the raws without paying a lot of attention, though. But I'm pretty sure nobody said anything relevant about it.

i'm a little dissatisfied by the ending of toradora but overall i really enjoyed the show, glad i watched it

discussion point: if you had to rank avatar: the last airbender on your anime list, where would it fall? i personally can't think of a single anime i'd place above ATLA
Fucking smogon got me into toradora and I absolutely loved it. And the ending kinda was disappointing yeah.

Martin

Hey I was just playing Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone earlier and remembered how much I enjoyed most of the Inazuma Eleven anime (making me pick it up where I left off when I started re-watching it around six months ago, and it made me kinda interested to know something. Are there any anime that you like now for reasons other than nostalgia that you know you shouldn't like for whatever reason? This can be because you should be too old for it or for any other reason, I'm just kinda interested to know if any of you have anime like that because I should have really grown out of the IE anime around two or three years ago yet I still find it thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

Last edited:

Martin

I've just found the OP that's gonna be used in Selector Destructed WIXOSS and damn its a good song

I've gotta give Kanon Wakeshima props, as the openings to this series are all extremely good.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Digimon Tamers is still my all time favourite anime, it holds up incredibly.

Digimon Adventure is still damn good too, although restrained by tight budget.

What i'm saying is watch both of them.

You can skip 02 though.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I mean, I keep throwing out manga for people to read itt, dunno how people manage to miss this...

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
o i didnt even see your last post

but one isn't enough

like a Taiwanese prostitute i need more than one to fill me up

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I still enjoy watching Yugioh! Abridged Series, even though Little Kuriboh screwed up and Yugioh sounds like he went through puberty.
Little Kuriboh had some serious(?) health problems that slightly affected his voice. If you watch the in-character Let's Play of FNAF2, you can tell Kaiba sounds different.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
nah ive just pretty much caught up to where it is right now, and since ive been binge reading it (200 chapters in about a day and a half,,,,) now i need something that can fill the void

speaking of manga / manhwa, what are you guys' favorite completed / ongoing series right now?

For Completed, my favorites that I've read had to have been Tokyo Ghoul (thought it ended a bit too swiftly tho), Shaman King (got kinda messy around the end tho) and Nozoki Ana (really really good for a ecchi / romance / drama manga).

Ongoing I'd say that ToG, Shokugeki no Soma, and Prison School have all been my favorites thus far, although ReLife and Nanatsu no Taizai are pretty good as well

currently i'm keeping up with one punch man (both versions), prison school, chihayafuru, shokugeki, toriko, attack on titan, bleach, and one piece

shokugeki is probably my favorite of the above although toriko is getting really dark nowadays and is interesting again

as for completed manga my favorites are bakuman and eyeshield 21

I watched the Project A-ko movies recently...to think there are still some hidden treasures in the past that need to be discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)