The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ya agreed. Madoka's pretty spectacular as far as anime goes.

Speaking of Madoka, do any of you like any of the madoka clones at all? I personally liked WIXOSS a lot (although IK for a fact that a lot of people will beg to differ on that one) and thought that Day Break Illusion was ok albeit nothing spectacular.

Ya agreed. Madoka's pretty spectacular as far as anime goes.

Speaking of Madoka, do any of you like any of the madoka clones at all? I personally liked WIXOSS a lot (although IK for a fact that a lot of people will beg to differ on that one) and thought that Day Break Illusion was ok albeit nothing spectacular.
A lot of people I know liked YuYuYu. Check it out if you haven't.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
agreeing that dimension w is amazing. That car chase in the OP is badass and it has the action scenes down. Eps 4 and 5 were cool, although I still think eps 1 to 3 are the better.
=================================================
Watched ep 5 of Grimgar last night. There is so much character development without really advancing the plot much, but honestly I'm really happy that they are going down that route and not really deviating from it. The characters are all thoroughly likeable, and I am able to connect with and empathise with them a lot due to the metric tonne of character development that is happening in every single episode. This is not something that coherent anime is usully capable of doing due to it trying to keep the plot marching onward at a steady pace, making the character development take most of the 12-episode run (usually around 8-10 eps) to reach the levels that Grimgar had by episode 4 (see: Hibike! Euphonium (around ep 9/12 iirc), Madoka (around ep 9/12 iirc), Anohana (around ep 7/11 iirc) etc.), and with ep 5 now out and having the biggest amount of development of the MC and Yume's already-strong relationship out of all eps while massively deepening all chars' personalities (with the exceptions of Shirou and Mary, the latter if which we've just mey and have effectively been promised development for in the next ep by the "next time" sequence), the fact that a different, more tortoise-paced and chatacter-oriented approach is being taken while still being somewhat coherent is a really nice break from most stuff.

Honestly if you don't like Gringar it may be 'cause you're going into it with the wrong mindset. I've found that if I watch it in bed I get the most enjoyment out of it due to it ensuring in relaxed all the way through and am able to retain an appropriate mindset. I watched ep 1 on the desktop in my study and honestly I wasn't fully in the correct mindset when watching it. I actually re-watched ep 1 in bed before watching ep 2 and I was in a much more appropriate mindset, which bolstered my enjoyment of it greatly. Give watching in bed a shot; you may be pleasantly surprised (or not; maybe I'm just weird, but give it a shot anyway as it can't hurt to try).
================================================
On another note i was unable to find Ajin ep 4 when looking yesterday and realised that it hadn't been subbed since it was released on friday. Aparently its subbed on netflix, bit im too broke to buy a subscription for that rn, which means there is a big hole 'cause it is one of the better shows this season despite being ugly AF
==================================================
Bubuki Buranki is really cool and is finally starting to make some sense. Its surprisingly pretty considering that its CGI, and Beat your Heart (the op) has grown on me since first hearing it, when I legit loathed it lol. Its now one of my favorite op themes of the season. The chars are also cool, particularly Kogane due to her past.

I'm... not sold on dimension W quite yet? I actually really liked episode 5 (probably my favorite of the series so far) but it was definitely super complicated and the show did a really bad job of explaining things, tbh. it wasn't very clean, either: the weird reporter/rapist dude has confusing motives, the entire conflict with the dam is poorly shown, the murder of the guy operating the dam is sort of out of left field, etc

episode 5 also suddenly shows Numbers as having these weird magical capabilities more or less out of nowhere. the show itself isn't really grounded in science but it could at least do a way better job of foreshadowing the power behind Dimension W in general, given how seriously it takes itself (this was also one of my major problems with Shinsekai Yori and Cantus, for the record)

so far Mira is the only good character in the show and there's been around one gratuitous fanservice scene per episode involving her, which is irritating. Kyouma had a lot of potential but i feel i've been watching five episodes of foreplay involving his background - and really, we haven't learned much more about him since episode 1. I don't remember the names of any other characters and they're not very good anyway

I dunno, last week I decided I was going to stick with this one until episode 6 but now I can't decide if I'm going to drop it right away or watch until the end

In other news I picked up Hunter X Hunter last week and am 36 episodes in (Gon vs Hisoka just finished up). I'm also rewatching Madoka, so there's that too

Martin

The end of episode five seems to be foreshadowing that we're gonna start finding out more about Kyouma soon, and the series seems to have repeatedly acknowledged that he is completely shrouded in mystery (to paraphrase Mira, "I still know nothing about him. Why does he hate coils, and why would someone who hates them so much do work that involves working with coils?") to the point of me having a hunch that it is really important to the plot that we don't know. It can't be long until we find out what's being hidden, and I will watch contently until its ready to reveal it. It is doinng the action well enough to keep my interest, and Mira is a really good character in general which further keeps said interest.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hourou Musuko is good if you want something serious given the subject matter of the show, and is pretty awesome that it addresses the LGBT community as something other than a taboo fetish as is usual in the medium.I haven't seen ASS CLASS though, I heard it's alright so I might check it out one day.

K, so if you follow Digibro you know he's been putting out these lame videos where he points out all the crappy tropes of a generic harem anime. Well, uh, in THIS part he gets to the point. It's a really good watch and sums up the phenomenon that is A-1 better than I ever did.

Martin

Posting to say Boku Dake ga Inai Machi's credit sequence is one of the most beautiful things on television. Love the music too.

Also ep 6 was really good. Kinda sucks that I succumbed to my urges and spoiled up to chapter 37 of the manga for myself (its not completely true to it but I still think they've done the best they can with the 22-min length limit). The cliffhanger for ep 6 was spectacularly executed as well (so I don't spoil it if you've not watched yet, the most I'll say is that it is one of the few things I think it's done better than the manga so far) and looked really good.

Last edited:
haven't watched the new Erased yet, spent the last 3 days or so rewatching Madoka

my god does that show get so much better the second time through - not that it's not a fantastic show for new watchers, obviously, but there's just so much you miss going in to it blind

gonna take a day or two to recuperate and then rewatch Rebellion before resuming HxH

Martin

I found this and its a really cool analysis of the park scene from episode 2 of Boku Dake. Watching this has changed the way that I think about ERASED from a kinda unfaithful adaptation of the manga to a different take on the same story, and it just makes me appreciate how much thought the director has put into the series and has made my opinion of the show, which was aready that of adoration, even higher.

Edit: holy crap I've just noticed that ERASED has climbed to #7 on MAL. I checked literally yesterday and it said #20, so its nice to see it continue to climb.

Last edited:
Konosuba episode 5 was pretty much the best thing this season

on the other hand, Kouya, Schwarzesmarken, and Luck & Logic have all been disappointments

Martin

Agreeing with Fishin' that Schwarzesmarken has gotten ess interesting the further into the season its gotten.

Erased continues as AoTS and has a really well-executed cliffhanger at the end of ep 5 (its been really conistent with cliffhangers in general) while just being one of the best things I have ever watched on TV as a whole, Grimgar and Ajin are still both spectacular, Phantom World is one of the most deceptively entertaining things I've watched in a long time and Konosuba wins the award for most surprising hit.

What's going on with Dagashi Kashi? Are fansubs delayed or something? Because it wasn't even on the sites I use and they usually get fansubbed nearly instantly.

Anyways, to make this a post a bit more meaningful, I'd thought I'd rank most shows of the season (excluding sequels, shorts and Osomatsu-san (the only leftover I'm watching; cause I'm like the only person on this thread who hasn't dropped it)):

1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (Watching this show requires patience but my god is it worth it)
2. Dimension W (Has engaging action scenes and cute girls; What more could I ask for?; Well more importantly it does what Gangsta tried to do but a lot better)
3. KonoSuba (Dumb but really funny; Wish it had better animation though)
4. Active Raid (Trashy as fuck but also extremely fun to watch at the same time)
5. Erased (Still really good thus far, but some things put me off (episode 5 for instance wasn't as well executed as the rest))
6. Dagashi Kashi (As a SoL title it does pretty damn good; However some episodes are not as strong as others, but no real "bad" episodes yet)
7. Grimgar (Slow compared to most shows of this type, but a solid experience nevertheless)
8. Pandora in the Crimson Shell (Pretty much being dwelling on slice of life antics for the past 3 episodes; But looks like it'll get serious soon (On the lines of Punch Line serious (where it's still stupid) but still))
9. Shoujo-tachi (I'm probably the only one here who still likes this show)
10. Bubuki Buranki (Surprised no one's made a "Boo Boo Keys" joke about this show yet; Also there's a creature named Entei in this show and I can't stop thinking about mons when its name comes up)
11. HaruChika (Basically a worse Beautiful Bones; A show which I only gave as high of rating as I gave it because of the female lead, take that away, and well.........)

As for the shorts, my thoughts Sekkou Boys is like my thoughts on KonoSuba but surprisingly has a lot better animation than some of the mainstream shows this season, Ojisan is sweet but for the past few episodes it's gotten a bit formulaic, and Ooya-san is pretty meh. (I'm also watching JK Meshi but fuck that show seriously) The season 2's of Shirayuki-hime and GATE are also doing pretty well. (Marathoning AssClass right now so I can get to the second season of that)

Edit: Oh, forgot Koyomimonogatari. See, the problem with this series is that the short time frame takes away most of the potential intrigue the stories involved might have. Some of these short stories are stronger than others, but as a whole, I'd put it on the same level as Tsukimonogatari. Also I don't know what to think of Galko-chan. (Keep debating with myself if I should give it a 7 or 6)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)