(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

You would have had it easier in a trade forum or on the freaking GTS dude.
It's now too late for that as I finally encountered and caught the little bastard.
Also, I wanted to get a female one in a Luxury Ball to make breeding less of a hassle (even if I traded for one, I would still breed it as it is what I do). Luckily, I managed to do just that so breeding will be a little bit easier.

Speaking of characters with horrible voices, see that character of the day who was friends with Meloetta and had a flying Golurk. What was his name again? Oh yeah, Ridley. His voice was just... so... dull... Watching that was actually painful.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
You know what's more annoying than fishing for Feebas in RSE? Trying to get the stubborn hipster in Dewford to change the trendy phrase after the 1st guaranteed reset if you're not having luck with finding Feebas. I started restoring a save state and counting how many times he keeps rejecting my new phrase; it's well over 150 rejects now.

"But personally, I think "(Insert random phrase here)" is what's real in cool."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wait, it can be rejected? I never knew that. (Probably because I don't consider Feebas or Milotic a good enough Pokemon to justify all that effort, Dex completion notwithstanding of course.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You know what's more annoying than fishing for Feebas in RSE? Trying to get the stubborn hipster in Dewford to change the trendy phrase after the 1st guaranteed reset if you're not having luck with finding Feebas. I started restoring a save state and counting how many times he keeps rejecting my new phrase; it's well over 150 rejects now.

"But personally, I think "(Insert random phrase here)" is what's real in cool."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
You're probably thankful in ORAS they made it so that Feebas were 100% catch in two specific spots. ;)

"This isn't even my final form!"

Seriously though, we don't need Pokemon to turn into Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball? More like ripping off Digimon? "Oh, that thing can evolve three times?! Okay, that's it, Charizard: Giga Evolve!!!" New Screw Death Battle!
Then again, it's not like they didn't have it coming, making Digimon so OP on purpose...

Pfft, Pokemon copying Dragon Ball? That was so 3 gens ago.

Porygon-Z. So will they keep the dash or drop it? Porygonzite doesn't sound bad, though that's not how you pronounce Porygon-Z's name.
It'd probably be Porygonite.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Wait, it can be rejected? I never knew that. (Probably because I don't consider Feebas or Milotic a good enough Pokemon to justify all that effort, Dex completion notwithstanding of course.)
The 1st time you try and change the trendy phrase manually, it's guaranteed to change on the 1st try with no problems. But if you try changing it on your own from that point forward, the game can reject the phrase and keep the current one (and it can be damn stubborn about it too).

You're probably thankful in ORAS they made it so that Feebas were 100% catch in two specific spots. ;)
Well, I actually kinda liked the RSE Feebas gimmick at first since it mirrors irl fishing a little bit more than the other rod-based Pokemon, (used to keep my secret base on R 119 for that reason. Good times), but yes the guaranteed Feebas spots in ORAS were very much welcomed. lol

In paired versions, the opposite box legend is treated as if it doesn't exist. I mean, it'd probably be boring if every third version was like Emerald's, but it just doesn't feel right to have one of the pair excluded.

In paired versions, the opposite box legend is treated as if it doesn't exist. I mean, it'd probably be boring if every third version was like Emerald's, but it just doesn't feel right to have one of the pair excluded.
Notably Ho-Oh, even though it appeared in the first episode of the anime.

Reactions: JES
Ho-Oh and Lugia are available in Gold and Silver as well as their remakes, just in different order (box mascot first after Team Rocket's defeat, the other in the post game).
Oh, I thought we were talking anime. I should of understood that, but my mind went to, "Movie ignores other legendary for game."

Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This is especially annoying for the RS/ORAS and XY.

RS/ORAS: Even if you didn't know about the other Legendary, it seems odd there just so happens to be another team who have their own theme which is opposite of that of the main villains. It almost feels like they themselves should be after a Legendary Pokemon of their theme. Not only that, we have the Red Orb and Blue Orb with one of them in the story being used to Primal Revert the mascot Legendary you gotta wonder what about the other one. It just feels there's a half missing (not helped in the remakes when the Granite Cave mural is split in half to only feature the mascot Legendary).

XY: While nothing really hints of their being another Legendary, it's more Lysandre's plan seems make a leap in logic. Lysandre's plan is to make Team Flare immortal and kill everyone else, two things which Xerneas and Yveltal clearly represent half of. Yet Lysandre only catches one of them but is still able to do both. Now I can come up with some excuses why, but to me the plan was clearly created with both Legendaries in mind so it feels like the plan is missing part of its power source.

On a slightly lesser note, though BW includes both Legendaries they do swaps something which to me doesn't feel right one way around. Depending what version to pick, N and the player character get assigned with being a hero of "Truths" and hero of "Ideals". To me it makes sense for N to be "Ideals" since he's the one trying to change the world to what he thinks is right meanwhile the player is "Truths" as you're suppose to represent that Team Plasma's philosophy is flawed. But if you got White version than N is "Truths" and the payer is "Ideals"... which makes no sense. If N is "Truths" then wouldn't that mean his and Team Plasma's philosophy is right and its the "Ideals" player protecting a false perception of the world? Worse yet, they're always giving or relating Reshiram (the dragon of "Turths") to N in other media like the manga, anime, and merchandise.

This is especially annoying for the RS/ORAS and XY.

RS/ORAS: Even if you didn't know about the other Legendary, it seems odd there just so happens to be another team who have their own theme which is opposite of that of the main villains. It almost feels like they themselves should be after a Legendary Pokemon of their theme. Not only that, we have the Red Orb and Blue Orb with one of them in the story being used to Primal Revert the mascot Legendary you gotta wonder what about the other one. It just feels there's a half missing (not helped in the remakes when the Granite Cave mural is split in half to only feature the mascot Legendary).

XY: While nothing really hints of their being another Legendary, it's more Lysandre's plan seems make a leap in logic. Lysandre's plan is to make Team Flare immortal and kill everyone else, two things which Xerneas and Yveltal clearly represent half of. Yet Lysandre only catches one of them but is still able to do both. Now I can come up with some excuses why, but to me the plan was clearly created with both Legendaries in mind so it feels like the plan is missing part of its power source.

On a slightly lesser note, though BW includes both Legendaries they do swaps something which to me doesn't feel right one way around. Depending what version to pick, N and the player character get assigned with being a hero of "Truths" and hero of "Ideals". To me it makes sense for N to be "Ideals" since he's the one trying to change the world to what he thinks is right meanwhile the player is "Truths" as you're suppose to represent that Team Plasma's philosophy is flawed. But if you got White version than N is "Truths" and the payer is "Ideals"... which makes no sense. If N is "Truths" then wouldn't that mean his and Team Plasma's philosophy is right and its the "Ideals" player protecting a false perception of the world? Worse yet, they're always giving or relating Reshiram (the dragon of "Turths") to N in other media like the manga, anime, and merchandise.
My big problem with R/S and ORAS is that there's no allusion to the other legend despite there being a clear and direct relation between them. With some of the other pairs there's an inferred relation or similarities, but it's not always outright affirmed and embraced by the lore (Ho-oh and Lugia don't really have any world relation to each other), but with Groudon and Kyogre, every piece of media outright states "nearly destroyed the world fighting the other before going into slumber", and the fact that the game goes out of its way to hand you both orbs only raises the further question of "Why do we have Kyogre's Orb if Kyogre's not in the story?" for Ruby and vice versa.

For BW, I THINK what they were going for was that even the Truth vs Ideals thing isn't clear cut. From the White version perspective, N's "Truth" is that some people do indeed mistreat Pokemon (hell, his adoptive father is living proof of that), while the player's "Ideals" is that the majority of people who this should be judged for are good. And if it makes you feel any better, I think Advenrutes and a few of the JP only Manga do side Reshiram with the "Player" character. I don't think Reshiram matching with N is so much a philosophy thing as a consequence of merchandising, because Zekrom had the more popular design in NA, so if he goes with the player, Reshiram goes with N. Or maybe it's the opposite, with N and Reshiram both being popular in Japan and thus being grouped together.

The thing about "Truths" is that no-one's really denying what N and Team Plasma are saying about the mistreatment of Pokémon is incorrect. Many protagonists and allies actually agree with him on that front - what they don't agree with is their solution. I think what they were trying to go for at least in concept is the idea of two essentially good factions hitting on the same idea but going about it completely different ways which fits in well with the theme of truths and ideals opposing each other.

I recently came back to Pokemon after a 6 month hiatus and it still pisses me off that regardless of your message and what other people have set as their message, you still can't ever get a battle with randoms online anymore. And those battles you do get are such utter trash because half the time you're fighting an in-game team of legends. It just makes me not want to play when i have the time to anymore because I can't do what I want to do; have a fun and decently competitive battle on cart.

What's with some Pokémon sizes? I mean, I learned that Nidoqueen and Clefable are the exact same height (4' 3''/1.3 m). While I knew that Nidoqueen and Nidoking aren't as tall as you would think, but Clefable being that tall? I always imagined it at about 2' (.6m) or so.

What's with some Pokémon sizes? I mean, I learned that Nidoqueen and Clefable are the exact same height (4' 3''/1.3 m). While I knew that Nidoqueen and Nidoking aren't as tall as you would think, but Clefable being that tall? I always imagined it at about 2' (.6m) or so.
And here I thought we already established that sizes in the Pokedex are ridiculous. not to mention most other things in them.

I recently came back to Pokemon after a 6 month hiatus and it still pisses me off that regardless of your message and what other people have set as their message, you still can't ever get a battle with randoms online anymore. And those battles you do get are such utter trash because half the time you're fighting an in-game team of legends. It just makes me not want to play when i have the time to anymore because I can't do what I want to do; have a fun and decently competitive battle on cart.
Well, have you ever tried Battle Spot, then? It's not the same at all, of course, because of the Bring 6, Pick 3/4/6 mechanic, but especially the ranked matches might be what you're interested in

Well, have you ever tried Battle Spot, then? It's not the same at all, of course, because of the Bring 6, Pick 3/4/6 mechanic, but especially the ranked matches might be what you're interested in
Unfortunately, my Pokemon are built for Smogon 6v6 Singles or similar formats :P I mean, sure, I could make a ranked team, and I have in the past, but I'm super rusty with teambuilding as it is xD

...then again, if you wanna help me, I have a whole spreadsheet of my collection you can use to help me teambuild :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Look through XY/ORAS's Pokedex size chart, you'd be surprised at the sizes of some Pokemon. I think GF may want to redo the sizes (and maybe weight?) of Pokemon.

Darth Manaphy , the problem with battle spot is that a lot of things that got banned for good reason exist there. Higher ladder battle spot teams are essentially Mkang/MSalamence/MGengar and a team of checks for the rest of the threats.

Unfortunately, my Pokemon are built for Smogon 6v6 Singles or similar formats :P I mean, sure, I could make a ranked team, and I have in the past, but I'm super rusty with teambuilding as it is xD

...then again, if you wanna help me, I have a whole spreadsheet of my collection you can use to help me teambuild :P
Sometimes you can get some quite decent players without using battle spot. Using Shoutouts does occasionally work, and anyone who's remotely competent will most likely battle you a few times/ask to be on you Friends list.

Darth Manaphy , the problem with battle spot is that a lot of things that got banned for good reason exist there. Higher ladder battle spot teams are essentially Mkang/MSalamence/MGengar and a team of checks for the rest of the threats.

Sometimes you can get some quite decent players without using battle spot. Using Shoutouts does occasionally work, and anyone who's remotely competent will most likely battle you a few times/ask to be on you Friends list.
As one of the people that spam MSalamence on Singles, ohhh I know about it. I just prefer to think of it as a...different kind of Metagame...

Doesn't the current Battle Spot rules follow the current VGC rules? If so... it's pretty much Mega Rayquaza + one cover legendary and the rest try to cover for them.

This sums up a problem I've had with Pokémon since Generation IV: no easy way to have decent 6v6 Singles matches against random players. I remember hearing about the Battle Spot feature in Generation V and I got excited. Then I finally got the game and it was 3v3 and item clause.
While the PSS is better, it can be a long time before I can get a single challenge and often I encounter trainers who aren't very good (the number of people who don't use ANY items other than Mega Stones amazes me) and also disproves a myth that some people believe that competitive players are less original than casual ones (the number of trainers who used Greninja with Torrent/Charizard/Lucario/Blaziken/cover legend/wild card when X and Y where the only Generation VI games was very large).
We really need a random battle feature where we can pick from the basic rules given to us and battle those with compatible rulesets.

This is also why I got into VGC, mostly so I could play on Battle Spot. Then VGC '16 happened, but that's another story.

Doesn't the current Battle Spot rules follow the current VGC rules? If so... it's pretty much Mega Rayquaza + one cover legendary and the rest try to cover for them.
Only place on Battle Spot that uses VGC '16 rules is the Special section, meaning you still can't use cover legends on regular singles, doubles, etc.
Also, from what I can tell, VGC '16 revolves more around Primal Groudon and Xerneas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 11)