Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Personally, I'd rather get rid of Flying Gem Acrobatics since Flying Gem isn't even a real (obtainable) item in Gen 6. Either do away with Acrobatics sets or give Acrobatics mons no item (or at least an easily consumed one like Sitrus Berry) to take advantage of the move's damage boost, no more of the "sets you can't even use in the actual game" thing.
A few years back Zarel said "random battle doesn't give a fuck about legality" with regards to technically illegal sets like Sucker Punch + Shell Smash Huntail (PtHGSS tutor / BW Clamperl level up); I assume the same reasoning is still held today

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A few years back Zarel said "random battle doesn't give a fuck about legality" with regards to technically illegal sets like Sucker Punch + Shell Smash Huntail (PtHGSS tutor / BW Clamperl level up); I assume the same reasoning is still held today
sucker+smash Huntail is totally legal in PU and on the on-site analysis and all that jazz, I'm fairly certain it's legal unless just about everybody hasn't noticed or has assumed it's been legal for the past several months where offensive Huntail has been relevant.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
sucker+smash Huntail is totally legal in PU and on the on-site analysis and all that jazz, I'm fairly certain it's legal unless just about everybody hasn't noticed or has assumed it's been legal for the past several months where offensive Huntail has been relevant.
it got Sucker Punch by level up only in ORAS; it was illegal for all of BW and XY

Reactions: MZ

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Well then why not just throw totally fictional items and moves on everything? Don't make me slippery slope this shiz. There's a substantial difference between giving mons a "technically illegal" combination of individually viable moves and giving them stuff that doesn't even exist. Not that I care per se, but it kinda rubs me the wrong way. Just a little.

Although giving Acrobatics mons no item is not actually so dissimilar from giving Balloon to Rotom-S. Heh.

Well then why not just throw totally fictional items and moves on everything? Don't make me slippery slope this shiz. There's a substantial difference between giving mons a "technically illegal" combination of individually viable moves and giving them stuff that doesn't even exist. Not that I care per se, but it kinda rubs me the wrong way. Just a little.

Although giving Acrobatics mons no item is not actually so dissimilar from giving Balloon to Rotom-S. Heh.
Gems do exist, I don't know who told you they don't. They're just unreleased, like Volcanion.

Back on xbox live on xbox 360 in halo 3 - There was an area designated for uploading awesome moments that you recorded in game to, so that people viewing your profile had the option to see you in action, like your best moments. I think this concept was really cool and since we can save replays as an option from battles, I think it would be awesome if we could upload a few battles to our PSS profiles, so people could see our best/funniest/coolest battles that we choose to represent ourselves with.

There should be an option where u can bookmark people, like ur friends, and an option on the side where u can view them and see if thier online, similiar to facebook, but kidified to make it easier.

Could the damage calculator be added as a tab onto showdown? Kinda like how the battle spectating is now in its own tab, maybe something like that but it displays the damage calc instead of a room/spectatable battles? (It would also be nice if the calc also automatically imported all your teams into it :p)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Gems do exist, I don't know who told you they don't. They're just unreleased, like Volcanion.
Like ye ol' Lightningrod Zapdos or Shadow Tag Chandelure, I know that. I don't recall those ever showing up in randbats though.

V----- Fair enough if true.

I hope this is the right place.

Can we please STOP with the air balloon Rotom-S on Random Battles?

It was cute and funny when Showdown was first starting out, there were lots of other crappy randbat sets, and no one took rand bats seriously--and yes, we still shouldn't--but Randbats is the most frequently played ladder, with sets that are increasingly more competent, and often an intro to competitive play for beginning players.

The majority of Pokemon have useful sets, and are to be considered carefully in their use; but every time I get a Rotom-S it just deflates the enjoyment of playing. When everything else has competent sets, 1 joke one isn't funny, it's just distracting and takes away from the experience.
Completely agree with this and I've tried to remove it in the past but Zarel does not allow me. He is stubborn. I suggest posting in here and getting enough support to persuade him.

I dont know how easy it would be, but would it be possible to add something in 'watch battle' to be able to filter by ranking? I can never watch a decent battle whatsoever.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have a few suggestions I think would improve the users' PS! experience:

• Being able to check what rooms have autoconfirmed chat on.
This would help users who lack knowledge on the autoconfirmed system, as well as assist them in finding out what rooms are and/or aren't autoconfirmed.
The command could simply be titled:

/ac or !ac

Would look like:
- Just an idea of how'd it look in my eyes. It may look different if / when it is implemented.

• The up key's function to be removed.
The up key's function allows you to re-type whatever you typed beforehand. It sounds useful on paper, if you'd need to repeat yourself, correct? However, it's an easy way for spammers to spam quicker and far more effectively, as they don't have to use Ctrl + V; instead, they just tap one key.

• The ability to manually turn off your highlights without clearing them.
This is something PS! needs, as sometimes you can dread getting highlight notifications. You'd have to go into your settings and such just to turn it off, but it'd be so much more simple to have a command and/or a checkbox in PS!'s option menu.
The command could be titled:

/hl off or /highlight off

If there were a checkbox, it'd look like:

• The ability to change your name's color.
I know, I know, this has been suggested nearly a million times already. However, it'd be better than you'd think. You'd have a little color wheel containing a wide assortment of colors, and the user can choose whichever color they feel. Their account must be autoconfirmed to change their name color and they can only change the color of 2 names every hour. This would be useful for people who have a really cool name but have a terrible color for it. I personally like my color, but I'd like mine to be blue instead. It'd fit the name, Exodus Latios.

If you were able to select / change a color, it'd look like:

Anyways, these were a few suggestions.

Attachments

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I have a few suggestions I think would improve the users' PS! experience:

• Being able to check what rooms have autoconfirmed chat on.
This would help users who lack knowledge on the autoconfirmed system, as well as assist them in finding out what rooms are and/or aren't autoconfirmed.
The command could simply be titled:

/ac or !ac

Would look like:
- Just an idea of how'd it look in my eyes. It may look different if / when it is implemented.
Type /modchat in the room you want to speak in to see if the room is set to autoconfirmed or not. It should also say in the roomintro.

• The up key's function to be removed.
The up key's function allows you to re-type whatever you typed beforehand. It sounds useful on paper, if you'd need to repeat yourself, correct? However, it's an easy way for spammers to spam quicker and far more effectively, as they don't have to use Ctrl + V; instead, they just tap one key.
this is used so that people can get previous messages they said before and say them again easily if they're in a conversation and something said before needs to be said again.

• The ability to manually turn off your highlights without clearing them.
This is something PS! needs, as sometimes you can dread getting highlight notifications. You'd have to go into your settings and such just to turn it off, but it'd be so much more simple to have a command and/or a checkbox in PS!'s option menu.
The command could be titled:

/hl off or /highlight off

If there were a checkbox, it'd look like:

This is a pretty good suggestion. For now, just uncheck "Highlight when your name is said in chat" and delete all highlights, but save the highlights in another place while they're deleted.

• The ability to change your name's color.
I know, I know, this has been suggested nearly a million times already. However, it'd be better than you'd think. You'd have a little color wheel containing a wide assortment of colors, and the user can choose whichever color they feel. Their account must be autoconfirmed to change their name color and they can only change the color of 2 names every hour. This would be useful for people who have a really cool name but have a terrible color for it. I personally like my color, but I'd like mine to be blue instead. It'd fit the name, Exodus Latios.

If you were able to select / change a color, it'd look like:

Anyways, these were a few suggestions.
No. This is purposely not added, as it would allow users to easily impersonate staff and other important users, which isn't good.

How about having an option to list your PS usernames on your Smogon profile? There's an option for your real name, so it doesn't seem like it's too much of a stretch to ask for.

Practical uses include tournament match-up convenience and just letting people know what name you frequent on. This is only useful for people with Smogon usernames that don't match their PS usernames, but nonetheless not too much to ask for, right? Or is the effort > worth?

Could you put the Play-Pause-button in a replay-window out of the battle.window? That would be awesome in terms of presenting on video-platforms because there is no distracting button in the middle of the screen :D

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Tbh with the above suggestion I think it's easier for staff to just type out the command. I can understand it being a bit frustrating when it comes to moderating on mobile but unless there is another active staff in that room then there's no need to change it now. Also, the screenshots you provided only show "Warn" when there are other commands which room staff and global staff use. Using a button would be a bit unnecessary due to the range of commands.

The ladder used to decay every day. Now it doesn't seem to decay at all.

My suggestion is that it decays every week with 1-2%. Decay is there to avoid inactive players. Decaying every day made no sense, but now the ladder is full with players who get a high rank and then stop playing to remain their position, and alts who aren't being used anymore.

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
If I use a contact move on a Goodra (just an example) and my speed does NOT decrease (I also don't have Clear Body or anything similar) then Gooey should be removed from "Possible Abilities" my foe sees. Just a thought.

Another one.

When you hover your mouse over your current active Pokemon, only passive stats are shown, it should show the active stats too. Stats after calculation of boosts and Burn and Sticky web and Huge Power and Chlorophyll, etc rather than just showing 2xAttack and 0.67xSpeed, etc.

It'd be cooler if the text was color coded too, like green for increased stats, red for decreased and black for neutral. That's just aesthetic though and completely unnecessary but thought I'd put it here.

And is there a quick damage calculator? I know there is a detailed one and I'm sure there a quick one but I'm missing it. It should be added in battles. This is completely unnecessary too but.. yeah

And lastly, when hovering over opponent's pokemon sprite, I still think other min-max stats other than speed should be visible.

Thanks guys

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Either no hazards on Random Battles, or every team having at least one means to remove them. It's just unbalanced.
The Immortal already gave an answer to that.

It's Random Battle. If you want fully competitive teams, play Battle Factory. Random Battle can't be fair because it is just that, random. Battle Factory, however, does create fair and balanced teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)