The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
it took literally all season but my prediction the panthers would be EXPOSED finally came to pass.

E X P O S E D
X
P
O
S
E
D

game sucked tho 0/10 would not watch the highlights.

Woot Broncos! Honestly even though I was rooting for them, I thought the Panthers were going to flatten them, but the Broncos' defense definitely delivered. /happy, Ware and Miller for co Super Bowl MVPs. Manning even did his part by not messing up horribly and letting them carry him.

Ayy my boy Peyton retiring as a 2X champ, 4X AFC champ, and 5X NFL MVP and a Super Bowl MVP with Indy. Not his prettiest game but all the Manning haters can fuck off now. You'll see him in Canton in 2021

Also for what it's worth, I like Coldplay, thought they ruined the show with shitty Bruno Mars and Beyonce (they got like 3 songs in and none of it their generally better older ones) and that Metalica would've probably been a more logical choice given the whole Bay Area setting. So overall disappointed it wasn't better.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
Ive been saying all week that the broncos would win by like 10 points. I knew wade phillips would make an unstoppable game plan if he had 2 weeks and that much talent. plus the panthers offense, while good, was overrated by a lot of reliable advanced metrics, so this was an easy prediction

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah that was fuckin rough. Denver's offense coulda stayed at the hotel and they woulda still won. GGs to Denver though. Carolina's defense played well too, but jesus Denver's pressure was unreal. Cam also needs to learn to get rid of the ball faster.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Can we talk about how incredible Wade Phillips is? Shitty HC but an incredible DC. I remember the havoc his Texans teams wreaked, and his Broncos this year were even more savage. I've gotta admit, I underestimated this defense completely (even after owning them in fantasy). League leading? Obviously. Now I'd go as far as saying it's a top 5 d in the last 30 years (along with the legion of boom Seahawks, 85 bears, 00 Ravens and possibly the 01 Bucs - didn't see enough of the non Bears late 80s/early 90s teams to make a good call on them).

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...d-2015-16-season.3537091/page-30#post-6452778

me and some hero knew in september that denvers defense was one of the 5 greatest defenses of all time after like 3 games like get on our level please. next time look at the yards per play given up and the coverage statistics available online after the first few weeks, you too can figure out just how incredible a defense is before they even play games.

my broncos super bowl bet from september came through so thats cool

funny enough i thought carolina was going to win because i figured peyton would throw 2 pick sixes and honestly he came close to throwing intereceptions near his own 30 to norman (twice) not to mention the one to ealy and the fumble...im glad denver won but it wouldve been so disappointing to see a defense as incredible as theirs lose because of their incompetent qbs

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It blows my mind that Wade Phillips has flown under the radar this long as a DC. He's consistently had a top 5 defense as DC for years. I guess people just focus on his failed HC gig.

Also I didn't realize this until last night when I checked, but the Panthers had the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. They played the AFC North and NFC West divisions, as well as playing within the terrible NFC South division. Now they did play extraordinarily well in the playoffs so they are obviously a good team, but perhaps the 15-1 record was more a product of schedule than being the legitimate best team in the league?

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Oh yeah pretty sure Marshawn Lynch retired during the 4th quarter of the superbowl last night
IMG_20160208_073456.jpg

Also I didn't realize this until last night when I checked, but the Panthers had the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. They played the AFC North and NFC West divisions, as well as playing within the terrible NFC South division. Now they did play extraordinarily well in the playoffs so they are obviously a good team, but perhaps the 15-1 record was more a product of schedule than being the legitimate best team in the league?
In short, most definitely yes.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-panthers-are-the-worst-team-to-ever-start-11-0/

Pythagorean wins is another good way to measure how many wins a team "should" have, though it is less effective in fringe cases. The panthers outperformed that by ~3 wins, which is pretty significant but not entirely damning.

17-2 is an elite record, no doubt about it, but of the likely dozen or so teams that have finished 17-2 or better it is likely that the Panthers end up as the "luckiest" or "worst" or whatever you want to call it. Still, they were one of the only great teams in the NFL this year, and in my opinion the only great team past December. They are still more on par with the 2013 or 2014 Seahawks than the 2007 Patriots or 85 Bears that there were at least some allusions to in the broadcast, though even that might be too lofty.

Obviously it is way too early to predict (as if that would stop us) but assuming they keep most of the same core in place a regression of a couple wins from "elite" 15-1 to "great" 12-4 should be expected for them and any similar team that drastically outperforms their expected win total.

Side note: Denver also outperformed their Pyth wins by an almost as impressive 2.3 wins, as did Min (1.2) and Ind (2.0). Seattle actually underperformed theirs by 1.8 wins. This method was within 1 win of almost every other team in the NFL, per football outsiders.

Can we talk about how incredible Wade Phillips is? Shitty HC but an incredible DC. I remember the havoc his Texans teams wreaked, and his Broncos this year were even more savage. I've gotta admit, I underestimated this defense completely (even after owning them in fantasy). League leading? Obviously. Now I'd go as far as saying it's a top 5 d in the last 30 years (along with the legion of boom Seahawks, 85 bears, 00 Ravens and possibly the 01 Bucs - didn't see enough of the non Bears late 80s/early 90s teams to make a good call on them).
Honestly he wasn't even a bad head coach he coached 8 full seasons and in those 8 the team he coached made the playoffs 5 times he just wasn't a good playoff coach but yea he's an incredible DC

what did McCoy just get in2 lol

Last edited by a moderator:

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Is Denver going to retain that defense? Who are their free agents?

Yo also how often are GMs up on the stage celebrating I never actually noticed that before until Elway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)