ORAS OU Standard OU Team - need helps and suggestion

This team is mostly Hyper Offensive and full of sweepers that attempts to assault the opponent while providing a solid core, and lots of offensive coverage and plenty of Resistance . Any suggestions and tips to improve my team may help. I'm getting back to Pokemon Competitive battling so please give any tips and hints to improve it. This team will be used for Pokemon ORAS OU online competitive battling Singles format mostly.

Garchomp ( Lead )
Ability : Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
252 Speed/ 252 Attack/ 4 HP
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Swords Dance
Item: Focus Sash

Quick Summary: Garchomp is my main lead. Setups stealth rocks or swords dancing in case if magic bounce users switch. With focus sash, something will be done and it's guarantee to at least set up the rocks or attack the opponent. Both Dragon Claw and Earthquake hits a lot of Pokemon neutrally only to be walled by Skarmory and Togekiss. Jolly nature to outspeed most pokemon and attack eved to hit as hard once stealth rock is setup. It takes care of Electric, fire, rock, poison and steel types that give some of my team trouble and is an excellent lead thanks to its speed power and bulk.

Metagross ( Fast Physical Bulky Attacker)
Ability : Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
Meteor Mash
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Grass Knot
Item : Metagrossnite

Metagross is my fairy check as it comes in on Togekiss and other fairy pokemon to check them. It's also my mega pokemon design to also be fast and hit hard as possible. All the other moves are well around coverage and design to hit other pokemon that could possibly wall my team such as Mega Slowbro. This metagross is walled by Heatran and Aegislash and somewhat by electric pokemon but garchomp takes care of these threats as well as Hydreigon. Grass knot is for Mega Slowbro and Hippowdon and to hit physically defensive water and ground pokemon for lots of damage. Thunder punch is for skarmory and Water and Flying Types such as Mega Charizard Y and Gyarados. While Ice punch hits Dragons and Landorus T and Gliscor for super effective damage. Since Mega Metagross wants a lot of coverage I provide with it as much coverage as possible. Zen Headbutt is another good STAB but it sometimes misses and Talonflame and Sylveon will hit fighting types already hard while meteor mash should still do decent damage to other Fighting Types

Hydreigon ( Scarfed Special Attacker)
252 Speed/ 252 Special Attack/ 4 HP
Modest Nature
Ability: Levitate
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Dark Pulse
Item : Choice Scarf.

I needed someone to take on Bisharp and someone who has resistance to Sucker Punch and Shadow Ball therefore I chose Hydreigon. This set has both speed and power once more expect it's choice scarf and has trouble dealing with fairy pokemon but can still hit certain ones like Mega Diancie hard with earth power. Draco Meteor hits hard with a modest nature and the EV's are so Hydreigon can outspeed a lot of pokemon with Choice scarf while it hards as possible with Modest Nature like Latios, Terrakion, Garchomp etc. Fire Blast hit's Bisharp and other steel types like Scizor and Ferrothorn. Dark Pulse can still hit other steel types even if locked and takes care of any psychic switch ins that can be threatening like Mega Slowbro . Earth Power is extra coverage for Heatran , electric types like Raikou and a way to hit Mega Diancie. Lots of Coverage design to hit hard while having some decent bulk and resistant and immunities. Plenty of resistances , coverage and reasonable bulk.

Talonflame ( Priority dance attacker)
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
Flare Blitz
Brave Bird
Swords Dance
Natural Gift Grass
Items : Lechi Berry

Talonflame has priority and is the main reason why I choose it on my team. It takes out fighting and bug types that could give some of my team trouble and other fast glass cannons like Mega Alakazam and Weavile or Mega Sceptile. Outspeeds anything that doesn't have priority while having the option of Natural Gift. Im not so sure about Natural Gift but certain pokemon like Rotom W, and Heatran can give some of my pokemon trouble along with Talonflame but I was thinking that Natural Gift with Grass would be better to hit Rotom W and not leave it walled. This Talonflame again has Speed and power which the Ev's go into once more but if the opponent switches out I can setup a Swords dance and possibly sweep with good prediction. Even thou it uses an item I decide to run brave bird since acrobatics is less powerful and unreliable in case of holding the berry.

Rotom-W ( Defensive Pivot)

252 HP/ 126 Defense/ 128 Special Defense
Bold Nature
Ability :Levitate
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-o-wisp/Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Item : Leftovers

This is my only defensive pokemon in the team. Rotom W can Volt Switch into another pokemon if the opponent decides to switch in and takes physical damage like a champ while having some ev's in it's special defense. This Rotom W takes out Heatran, bulky grounds, and takes Brave Bird from Talonflame very well while hitting back with Hydro Pump. Will O wisp is to burn the opponents pokemon if they have a physical attacker or just to cause status and hidden power ice is a way for Rotom to Hit Grass and Dragons to not leave it completely wall by them. Once again it's a defensive rotom that pivots with Volt Switch and burns the opponent but it has trouble with special walls and bulky grass types. This Rotom is designed to burn opponents and weaken them with Water and Electric attacks while having great offensive power and defensive. Even with No eved it still should be able to dent some damage or at least leave a burn on an opponent

Sylveon ( Special Bulky Attacker)
Ability : Pixilate
Modest Nature
252 HP/ 252 Special Attack/ 4 Speed
Hyper Voice
Psyshock
Hidden Power Fire/Ground
Shadow Ball or Wish.
Item: Life Orb or Choice Specs

Last but not least Sylveon, it can switch into Outrages and dragon attacks that two of my pokemon are weak to without taking any damage and can hit hard back once again. Slyveon is the closest thing to a special wall in my team but it will be a specially bulky sweeper. With Choice Specs Pilixate Hyper Voice it does a lot of damage to anything that doesn't resist it while bypassing any substitute users. Coverage once again to not leave it easily walled. Psyshock is for Blissey and Chansey and Poison Types while Hidden Power fire or ground is for most steels types but Im still not sure which one to go with as its hard to decide. Shadow ball for a chance to fight against Mega Metagross and Jirachi or I can go for wish instead to restore health for other pokemon.

I hope my team looks good and if you have any suggestions to improve it please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi! I've some tips for you.
I'M SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, I HOPE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND ME.
It's your first rmt I guess, then nice team.
But it needs some changes.

When you build a team you have to choose a pokemon ( Es Mmetagross and build around it)
MMegatagross is a fantastic pokemon it is strong, fast and bulky; but have some weakeness, status and steel type over all. So you need a partner who helps its.

I don't really like your MMetagross set because grass knot isn't really useful if you have good partners. You could try Bullet Punch over it. A STAB priority is fantastic.
Hammer Arm hits steel types hard, but Ice Punch is useful against Garchomp and Landorus-T.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm / Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Now you need a pokemon who helps agaist, burn and steel types. Heatran is the best in this role. A mix of power and bulkiness.

Heatran @ Leftovers <- Hydreigon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt / Roar
- Stealth Rock

SpD Heatran is one of the best pokemon of OU, it's really hard to defeat, set the SR, hits Skarmory and Ferrothorn and spam Toxic. In your team I prefer Roar over Taunt because you aren't afraid from the 1 vs 1 with Clefable so Roar helps against many threast ( MCharizard X, MAltaria )
With Heatran you solve the problema of burn and steel types, but now ground types and Paralyisis are dangerous.
Rotom-W is a great partner, it helps against ground types, but Moldbreaker Excadrill and SD + Lum Berry Garchomp. But your set don't work well. You could try the defensive pivot.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers <- Your Rotom
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

It's really boring, spam burn, defeats many threats and it's a fantastic pivot with a "recovery" move.
Garchomp is a great partner for MMetagross who appreciate multy SR setters. But you could try a more defensive set, because Mmetagross love that its enemies are weakened.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet <- FS Garchomp
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

It helps you against many threats and thanks Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin is very dangerous for Physical Sweepers. The strategy is easy set the SR and spam Dragon Tail, Earthquake is the main STAB and Fireblast is for Ferrothorn and Scizor. It's your answer to Bisharp, a very dangerous threats in OU.
Metagross loves work with strong wallbreaker it defeats some of its counter. I think that Manaphy its a great idea. After a Tail Glow you can spam Scald and often write GG too.
Manaphy defeats lot of physical wall for Metagross, such Quagsire and Hippowodon, but over all MSableye.
With it you don't need Sylveon.

Manaphy @ Leftovers <- Sylveon
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Finally you need a pokemon flying type pokemon. Choice Scarf users are really common in OU and Earthquake too. MB Excadrill locked in Earthquake hits really hard all your team. Talonflame is a fantastic pokemon but its worst enemy are the Stealth Rock and you don't need a Defogger or a Spinner. So Staraptor over Talonflame is a good option. It's weak to SR too but only x2. Staraptor is a great wallbreaker such Talonflame and a good revenge killer. It defeats Keldeo and MLopunny.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf <- Talonflame
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

The new role
Garchomp: Tank, SR setter, Phazer
Rotom-W: Physical wall, Pivot
Heatran: Special wall, SR setter, Phazer
Staraptor: Revenge killer, Sweeper
Manaphy: Wallbreaker
Metagross: Star of team and sweeper.

The last tip. Leader isn't a role. You have to choose it time by time, after seeing the enemies team.

I'm hope that I help you.
I'm happy to answer you if you have some questions.

Last edited:
Hi! I've some tips for you.
I'M SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, I HOPE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND ME.
It's your first rmt I guess, then nice team.
But it needs some changes.

When you build a team you have to choose a pokemon ( Es Mmetagross and build around it)
MMegatagross is a fantastic pokemon it is strong, fast and bulky; but have some weakeness, status and steel type over all. So you need a partner who helps its.

I don't really like your MMetagross set because grass knot isn't really useful if you have good partners. You could try Bullet Punch over it. A STAB priority is fantastic.
Hammer Arm hits steel types hard, but Ice Punch is useful against Garchomp and Landorus-T.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm / Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Now you need a pokemon who helps agaist, burn and steel types. Heatran is the best in this role. A mix of power and bulkiness.

Heatran @ Leftovers <- Hydreigon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt / Roar
- Stealth Rock

SpD Heatran is one of the best pokemon of OU, it's really hard to defeat, set the SR, hits Skarmory and Ferrothorn and spam Toxic. In your team I prefer Roar over Taunt because you aren't afraid from the 1 vs 1 with Clefable so Roar helps against many threast ( MCharizard X, MAltaria )
With Heatran you solve the problema of burn and steel types, but now ground types and Paralyisis are dangerous.
Rotom-W is a great partner, it helps against ground types, but Moldbreaker Excadrill and SD + Lum Berry Garchomp. But your set don't work well. You could try the defensive pivot.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

It's really boring, spam burn, defeats many threats and it's a fantastic pivot with a "recovery" move.
Garchomp is a great partner for MMetagross who appreciate multy SR setters. But you could try a more defensive set, because Mmetagross love that its enemies are weakened.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

It helps you against many threats and thanks Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin is very dangerous for Physical Sweepers. The strategy is easy set the SR and spam Dragon Tail, Earthquake is the main STAB and Fireblast is for Ferrothorn and Scizor. It's your answer to Bisharp, a very dangerous threats in OU.
Metagross loves work with strong wallbreaker it defeats some of its counter. I think that Manaphy its a great idea. After a Tail Glow you can spam Scald and often write GG too.
Manaphy defeats lot of physical wall for Metagross, such Quagsire and Hippowodon, but over all MSableye.
With it you don't need Sylveon.

Manaphy @ Leftovers <- Sylveon
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Finally you need a pokemon flying type pokemon. Choice Scarf users are really common in OU and Earthquake too. MB Excadrill locked in Earthquake hits really hard all your team. Talonflame is a fantastic pokemon but its worst enemy are the Stealth Rock and you don't need a Defogger or a Spinner. So Staraptor over Talonflame is a good option. It's weak to SR too but only x2. Staraptor is a great wallbreaker such Talonflame and a good revenge killer. It defeats Keldeo and MLopunny.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf <- Talonflame
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

The new role
Garchomp: Tank, SR setter, Phazer
Rotom-W: Physical wall, Pivot
Heatran: Special wall, SR setter, Phazer
Staraptor: Revenge killer, Sweeper
Manaphy: Wallbreaker
Metagross: Star of team and sweeper.

The last tip. Leader isn't a role. You have to choose it time by time, after seeing the enemies team.

I'm hope that I help you.
I'm happy to answer you if you have some questions.
Staraptor is a Pokemon that only works best when paired with another Flying-type like Talonflame or Mega Pinsir. Outside of weakening Flying checks for its Flying-type teammates, Staraptor is outclassed in every way by other wallbreakers.

Staraptor is a Pokemon that only works best when paired with another Flying-type like Talonflame or Mega Pinsir. Outside of weakening Flying checks for its Flying-type teammates, Staraptor is outclassed in every way by other wallbreakers.
I know it. I think to it because it completes the volturn, but maybe Tornadus-T work well in this team. What do you think about it?

I know it. I think to it because it completes the volturn, but maybe Tornadus-T work well in this team. What do you think about it?
I personally just think that adopting a standard moveset on Mega Gross (Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm, Grass Knot), max defense Rotom-W and using TankChomp is all that the team really needs. The only thing that could be problematic is a +1 Zard X, but all of the mons on the team can prevent it from setting up, so it should not be an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion mans :)
Any other advice will be appreciated.
The Manaphy, Heatran, and Rotom are good ideas thanks man.
Tornadus T I will mostly likely add then.
The only reason I ran the grass knot on metagross is because Mega Slowbro is a big problem.
Both Garchomp, Mega Metagross (without grass knot or thunderpunch), and Talonflame/Straptor from what I seen won't be able to break it thru enough.
Since Mega Slowbro can slack off and his DEFENSES are MONSTROUS.
If Rotom W is gone, I will almost have nothing to counter/check Mega Slowbro. And I personally thou Hydreigon was a good answer.
A lot of pokemon are scared of STAB dark pulse and a STAB draco meteor.
So personally why I wanted to have it on the team in the first place.
I don't how common Mega Slowbro is on Wifi Battles but half the team will have trouble with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)