ORAS UU Tell Me You Love Me ~ UU Hyper Offense

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there and welcome to my very first RMT (and post lol) on Smogon!

Most of you probably don't know me, even though some of you might remember me from the UnderUsed or WiFi chatroom on PS.
However, I've actually been around for quite some time now (lurking) and decided to start things off with a RMT.

I wanted to create a fast paced, hyper offensive team that would help me climb up to the mid-range of the ladder with a new alt, as quickly as possible. Using Balance on the lower ladder can be dangerous sometimes, because you never know what to expect from your opponent and his/her team, as well as being more susceptible to hax. So the best way to beat your opponents on low ladder is usually overwhelming them with offensive pressure. Unfortunately, I'm not the greatest builder when it comes to Hyper Offensive teams, so I needed some inspiration. About two weeks ago, I noticed that 3mv33 was doing very well with his Mega Banette HO on the OU ladder, and was pretty impressed by it.
And since Mega Banette is usable in UU too, I thought I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed.

The Team:

The star of the team. I <3 Prankster.

Obviously I wanted to use Mega Banette, which offers Spin-Block Support, alongside with hazard spam. I found Custap Lead Forretress to pair perfectly with Mega Banette.

To add speed and power to the team, I added Choice Scarf Moxie Salamence...

...and Belly Drum Slurpuff for sweeping potential, while also forming a nice fantasy core with Forretress. Both of them are deadly to many teams, especially with hazards up. They break each others checks and counters very reliably, paving the road for a sweep.

Next, to support the sweepers, I added Focus Sash Dugtrio. It traps Steel Types, who are annoying for Mence and Puff, adds priority in the form of Sucker Punch and, most importantly, has Memento to help Slurpuff set up.

Finally, I added Choice Specs Rotom-Mow to deal with Bulky Waters and to grab momentum with Volt Switch, as well as to cripple Bulky Set Up Sweepers and Walls with Trick.

The Team In-Depth:

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Gunk Shot/Taunt
- Destiny Bond

"Spin-Blocker, Prankster, Emergency Button"

Possibly caused by an awful childhood memory, Banette has evolved into a mischevious creature,
playing infamous pranks and seeking for vengeance on humanity...
On this team though, its thirst for revenge and skill as a mischief-maker are both highly appreciated. STAB Shadow Sneak, coming off from a Base 165 Attack Stat is nothing to laugh at, steadily chipping away its foe's health in combination with Will-O-Wisp. The latter is especially useful versus fast physical threats. The next slot is a toss-up between Gunk Shot and Taunt. While Taunt shuts down opposing Status moves such Defog, Hazards and SetUpMoves, Gunk Shot offers the oppurtunity to OHKO Fairy Types to support a Salamence sweep, without having to rely on hitting an Iron Tail. Unfortunately you don't get priority off Prankster the turn you Mega Evolve, which is the main reason I generally opt for Gunk Shot over Taunt. Last but not least is Destiny Bond, which is a great utility move, taking everything Banette can't beat with it. Be wary when using it, because your opponent may know about Banette's little trick and can play around it! The EV Spread is pretty straightforward: Maximum Atk Investment to hit as hard as possible, 16 Speed IVs to creep Florges and OHKO with Gunk Shot, while the rest is dumped in HP.

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin

"Hazard Setter, Minimalist, Suicide"

Unlike its relatives, this fellow actually turns out to be rather impatient and explosive by nature,
possibly provoked by the excessive consumption of a certain berry species...
Standard Custap Lead Forretress. Maximum Attack and Speed Investment combined with a Hasty Nature allow Forretress to do what this set does best: Spam hazards and Boom. I didn't feel the need to run Gyro Ball, because Banette can deal with most Suicide and Anti-Leads quite well, and I wanted to have the option to clear hazards from my side of the field, because I have a Sash user.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Claw

"Scarf, Moxie, GG."

Some people say that pride comes before a fall. I think Salamence can relate to that.
Only difference: It is going to be your fall.
For being a Choice Scarf User, I find Salamence to be very reliable and versatile. It acts as Revenge Killer, Win Condition and Wallbreaker. Its ability to break opposing cores early-game, start sweeping in the middle of a battle or clean late-game makes it an excellent addition to the team. I chose EQ and Iron Tail for my coverage moves to hit Steel and Fairy Types respectively. Because the probability of sweeping with either of them is rather low, it is in your best interest to use those moves on the switch. The late-game Outrage Moxie sweep is very real on this team, trust me.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Frustration
- Belly Drum

"Cotton Candy, Smiley Face, Cold-Blooded Killer"

Countless lives have fallen to the rage of Slurpuff after tripping over the hazards layed down by its partner in crime, Forretress. The partners share an interesting trait, which is the excessive consumption of berries. The Sitrus Berry has an interesting effect on Slurpuff, making it feel all light and relieved for a moment, prior to realizing that the battle it had participated in already ended.
Standard Belly Drum Slurpuff. I went with enough speed to get the jump on Max Speed Base 70s without the Unburden boost, while also outspeeding Mega Pert under Rain, should the situation ever come up. Some Slurpuff run Aromatherapy over a 2nd coverage move, but I find Frustration more reliable, picking off Mons that aren't weak to Drain Punch and without relying on Play Rough to hit.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal
- Memento

"Trapper, Try-Hard, Trinity"

Rumor has it that at the sight of a Dugtrio, Pokémon become so obsessed with the question what Dugtrios feet look like,
that they become unable to retreat from the battlefield (Yes, it has feet. Didn't you play PMD? smh).
Instead of Choice Band or Life Orb I run Focus Sash Dugtrio, because I felt like I needed a back-up check for faster Mons, which is also the reason why I don't have Stone Edge but Reversal (200 Base Power Fighting Move when at 1 HP). Reversal OHKOs Mamoswine and deals decent damage to Umbreon, Blissey and Porygon2, as well as to faster Mons like Mega-Aerodactyl and Mega-Sceptile. 21 HP IVs allow Dugtrio to survive two Seismic Tosses from Blissey, while 0 IVs in Def and SpD combined with an Hasty Nature make Dugtrio as frail as possible. Sucker Punch for priority and Memento to help Slurpuff set up. Don't expect to much from Dugtrios damage output, sometimes it is better to go for Memento right away, especially when the Sash is broken by hazards. Still, Slurpuff appreciates any prior damage. Dugtrio also prevents physical fire types, like Entei and Darmanitan, locked into Flare Blitz or Sacred Fire, from utterly destroying the team, because you can't simply Will-O-Wisp them with Banette and Salamence does not enjoy switching in to these moves.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

"Pivot, Wallbreaker, Trickster"

Would you spill boiling water over a mowing machine? Yeah, I wouldn't either.
The last thing you want it to do, is to discharge, or worse, blow all the cut grass back at you (Seriously, don't Scald burn me).
Rotom-Mow fulfills multiple roles on this team, but its most important function is to deal with Bulky Water Types. Being the only Special Attacker on the team, I wanted Rotom-Mow to be as powerful as possible, to reliably break the bulkiest of Water and Ground Types. I opted for Thunderbolt over HP Ice, because its double STAB already has nice coverage and I don't feel like Hydreigon and Mega Ampharos are that troublesome. Also I don't always want to be forced out when using an Electric Type Attack. Volt Switch grabs momentum and pairs well with Dugtrios Arena Trap, while Trick cripples Walls and bulky SetUpSweepers like Florges.

Play Style:

This is Hyper Offense, so don't ask for Switch-Ins. Generally you lead Forretress and throw up them layers. Do your best to keep those on the field. Don't be afraid to double switch, this team wants to be played agressively. Eliminate and burn threats with Banette, break/cripple walls with Rotom-C and trap stuff with Dugtrio. Preferably sweep with Salamence or Slurpuff. Once you picked up how the team works, it doesn't really require much thinking, what makes it perfect for easy laddering.

Conclusion:

All in all, this is just a very fun team I've had no trouble with climbing the low-to-mid-ladder in no time. Even though it might seem like brainless Spike Stack HO (which it kind of is lol), it can actually perform quite well on the higher ladder, assuming you start thinking a little bit more long term than you did on low ladder ;) Breaking well-built defensive cores can be very difficult though, which is why I'd recommend to use this team for quick laddering purposes and fun sessions. Try it out!

The Team in Action:

3mv33 recently featured my team in a UU Live, check it out!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-329055200
Close game I had whith the edited version of the team.

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Gunk Shot
- Destiny Bond

Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Outrage

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Frustration
- Belly Drum

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Memento
- Reversal

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

if u find typos, u can keep em

Last edited:
Hey! Nice HO, very solid team.
>>>
:
Your team has some problems with Physical Walls, if you lost your Rotom-C, all the team will be at risk and you lose your win condition, so run a Mixed Salamence, it can OHKO Doublade and OHKO Forry after rocks. Also, you can run Iron Tail over Roost and Moxie over Intimidate if you see a opportunity to sweep.
>>>
:
The Choice Scarf set can outspeed Mega Bee and Mega Aerodacty, and doesn't increases the power of Florges' Moonblast.

Also, run these sprites, please ><'

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 40 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Roost / Iron Tail

Shadow Sneak > Shadow Claw
and Sash > LO
this is a fact.
LO do more damage, but with Sash you will be sure to beat Alakazam, speed tie is very boring
Shadow Sneak is a priority move very important... No way.

esche

Thank you for the rates Mr.Highways and Sobi! (:

Mr.Highways:

I did test with the changes you suggested:

I liked how Salamence was now able to stay healthy throughout the match, while threatening physical and special walls with a mixed set. However, even though LO Mence does give me a more reliable answer to physical walls and checking Fighting Types and Physical Fire Types more reliably, I really missed the sweeping potential with Moxie. Solely relying on Slurpuff to sweep was hard sometimes. I need to test a little bit more before I draw a conclusion.

For Rotom-C, I am not sure how I like Choice Scarf on it. The additional speed is definitely nice with changing Mence to LO, but it's just ridicolously weak.
Honestly, I am considering to replace Rotom-C completely. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the advice on the sprites (:

Sobi:

I didn't test with your changes yet but I'd still like to share a few thoughts about your suggestions.
Even with Life Orb, Dugtrio doesn't get the chance to OHKO all the Mons it is supposed to trap. Here a few calcs I did:

With LO:
1) 252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 250-296 (77.3 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
2) 252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 289-343 (79.6 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge Recovery
3) 252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 382-452 (126 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4) 252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 346-408 (95.3 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
5) 252 Atk Life Orb Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 343-406 (92.4 - 109.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
^ I guess this is somewhat relevant to prevent Empoleon from using Defog, but most Empoleon run Shuca Berry nowadays anyway.

Without LO:
1) 252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 192-228 (59.2 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
2) 252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 224-266 (62 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
3) 252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 294-348 (97 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
4) 252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 266-314 (73.2 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
5) 252 Atk Dugtrio Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 350-414 (94 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
^ Funnily enough, non-LO Reversal has a higher chance to OHKO than LO Earthquake.

While it does get the chance to OHKO standard offensive Nidoqueen, I feel like Focus Sash is mandatory on Dugtrio on this team. Being able to trap a Mon, take a hit from the Revenge Killer and to use Memento is immensly helpful for Slurpuff. Without Sash I would pretty much have to decide on Team Preview wether I want to trap a Mon OR use Memento. Additionally, Dugtrio is very susceptible to Priority what makes Sash even better + Sash beats Alakazam 100% of the time without having to rely on a speed tie. However these are just calcs. It might turn out completely different when I try it out.

On the subject of changing Shadow Sneak to Shadow Claw, I dont think that is the right thing to do. While it sure is powerful, Gunk Shot does more damage on a neutral hit + it has a really nice chance to poison. Also, Shadow Sneak OHKOs Alakazam, which is very relevant now. I'll keep Sneak over Claw for now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions for a replacement of Rotom-C? I'm thinking Heliolisk could be a good fit, providing the team with a more reliable Water (Scald) switch-in.

Last edited:

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sup. Frankly I disagree with using Mega Banette period but whatever. I doubt me recommending to change that would compel you to actually make the change.

• Try this set on duggy: sludge wave / eq / stone edge / sucker punch. You know what your team appreciates a shit load? Whimsicott gone. Opens doors for every single one of your mons. This set would need a life orb and 52 spa investment to ensure the ohko on it after one round of stealth rocks.

• I'd make Salamence dd. Typically, mence and slurpuff share similar checks and counters so it's generally appreciated by either one that the other is capable of wearing down each other's checks and counters. The set would go a little something like dd / outrage / fire blast / iron tail. F-blast and eq share p much the same targets except fire blast beats slurpuff's answers a lot better which is the only reason i'm recommending it over eq. Rest of the shit is pretty self explanatory. Could run lum to have an easier set up opportunity vs entei.

• Pls run scarf rotom. Getting the jump on +1 gyara, aero and others is far too useful a benefit to neglect.

• Look into running doublade > banette. You still retain the priority you need to handle zam, and still retain the spin blocker. However, this adds far more defensive utility for your team. You get a much better answer to aero and fairies with this. Two types of mons you were pretty incredibly weak to.

Edit: just realised this... make whimsicott max / max bc the added bulk doesnt change anything.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I don't love you :]

But yeah I have seen you floating around the chat rooms in PS for awhile.

Silently Watching

Anyways this is a very well presented and well rounded HO RMT. It is most certainly better than the piles of ass I call RMTs. There are only a couple of kinks in this team really.

-Looking through other people's criticisms, I must say there's a lot of people referring to what Ghost STAB you should be using. I must say that I'm on the side of the Shadow Claw. Priority is indeed useful, don't get me wrong. But even with a monstrous attack stat like Mega Bannete's, Shadow Sneak doesn't pull the weight it needs to. If you demand priority, run Sucker Punch.

Also I highly advise using Taunt over Gunk Shot on Banette. Yes, the poison coverage may be handy, but the rest of your team takes care of fairies relatively well, and grass types aren't an issue with Salamence around. Taunt allows you to cripple stall Pokemon, forcing them to switch out or succumb to your unrelenting offensive pressure.

I hope you consider what I said and good luck

esche

Thank you for the rates Cyndequil. and Lilligant for OU ! (:

Cyndequil:

I have been testing with your changes and I must say that they really put in some work.

Dugtrio) Loosing Memento and Sash on Dugtrio wasn't half as bad as I expected it to turn out and Sludge Wave does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Salamence) Another change you suggested was changing ScarfMence to DDMence. It really pairs well with Dugtrios newgained ability to reliably trap and OHKO Whimsicott and gets lot of set up oppurtunities even without Memento. I used the exact set you suggested with Moxie + Lum and Steel/Fire Coverage. Nice!

Rotom) Ultimately, with the changes you made, keeping the Scarf on Rotom-C was the right thing to do and the speed it provides is very much appreciated.

Banette) The only thing I didn't change (you saw this one coming) was Doublade>Banette. It is the mascott of the team and I don't think it is unusable in UU at all.
I did test with Doublade and I see the merits it has over Banette, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to replace Banette. Prankster love <3.

All in all, your suggestions were very helpful, so thanks a lot! (:

Lilligant for OU:

At first I was suspicous about the changes you made to Mega-Banette, but after actually playing with them alongside the changes Cyndequil. made, I took a liking to them. While sometimes I did miss the priority Shadow Sneak offered, Shadow Claw + Taunt fairs way better vs defensively oriented teams and support Pokemon. One thing I have noticed when testing out Claw + Taunt is that you want to Mega Evolve Banette as soon as possible to get the Prankster Taunt option. Also, with the replacement of Shadow Sneak and the change from Sash to LO on Dugtrio, I changed Rapid Spin on Forretress to Gyro Ball to deal with opposing leads better.

Didn't expect to actually change the Banette set but it turned out to work pretty well! Thank you for the advice! (:

Oh yeah, also thanks to Sobi , who suggested two of the changes I ultimately made before. I guess I shouldn't have discounted them before testing with them!

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball

Salamence @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Iron Tail
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Frustration
- Belly Drum

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge
- Sludge Wave

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)