SPL 7: UU Discussion Thread

Grats to Christo on his first victory in SPL. That was a rather refreshing match. I dont want to shadow his victory over bugzinator but it was kinda won on a choke in bugzinator's part. After aggressively using Escavalier on Mega Pert, Christo revealed that he had other means to reliably hit doublade with either knock off/eq or dark pulse and he showed sd afterwards. Going into entei and clicking sacred fire would have secured the win unless Christo had a lord sucker + knock off toxicroak (which looks kinda impossible). GGs to both parties again !!

I don't see how I could really go entei and sacred fire considering sucker punch/knock wasn't revealed yet, that's more of a 50/50 if anything. I switched Doublade out of Toxicroak fearing a dark pulse flinch which would have lost me the game, then when SD was revealed the plan was just to go Doublade, SD then iron head since I tank +4 Sucker (Wasn't expecting knock off there). There were a few possible ways to end that game, but the last set I was expecting was 252hp Knock croak so that's why I chose to Switch out then go back to Doublade instead.

Either way gg christo, grats on first win.

Last edited:
He revealed sd drain punch on virizion. Going into Entei has no downside to scout whether he has sucker or eq/knock off unless you are fearing a non gunk shot toxicroak. You can scout the the last move on toxicroak by sending the entei as you already outspeed it. If he was sucker punch toxicorak and gets the KO on entei; you can easily setup sd once and win the game by just clicking shadow sneak since aero was already in +2 shadow sneak range and as you said you would live +4 sucker

Last edited:
This is probably my favorite form of, what I like to call, Christo Balance yet. It just fits the new Zam meta so well. It also has a solution to T spike pressuring which was a strat that worked well against a lot of Christo's teams.

I went ape shit for some reason when I saw the alert that Christo posted in the SPL thread, and I cant say that I was dissappointed. Something about Christos team screamed sd knock Croak which became increasingly obvious throughout the game. Bugs was reading it as dark pulse but I wouldnt think Christo would go special on this build because his Zam was his special wall breaker. That might not make sense but if you play with Christo enough you notice patterns.

I will have to watch it again after class. Gg to both players.

Bugzinator definitely did not choke. The way i played my Toxicroak and just by looking at the team, it looks like a special variant. Going into Virizion on the scout was definitely the correct play. Knowing that, I knew i had to Swords Dance predicting the scout to have any chance at winning. Luckily it worked out and I ended out on top. Going Entei over Doublade to start was an alternative, but since I never revealed my fourth move, it was another 50-50 with a possible Sucker Punch. gg Bugzinator, super tight match and a great one to start my SPL debut!

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this game gave me throat cancer

but you know what? i'm actually glad about that

because at least if I have throat cancer, i can never choke as hard as bugzy did
Bugzinator definitely did not choke. The way i played my Toxicroak and just by looking at the team, it looks like a special variant. Going into Virizion on the scout was definitely the correct play. Knowing that, I knew i had to Swords Dance predicting the scout to have any chance at winning. Luckily it worked out and I ended out on top. Going Entei over Doublade to start was an alternative, but since I never revealed my fourth move, it was another 50-50 with a possible Sucker Punch. gg Bugzinator, super tight match and a great one to start my SPL debut!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I'm not going to be the dude who calls people out for posting despite not being in the tournament as I'm fine with any and every one sharing their opinions on the matches - that's to be encouraged if anything. However, if you are going to make a post solely to call out or insult the plays of someone without specifically justifying it or contributing anything of relevance to the thread, then you might as well not post -- you know who you are.

ps: just to avoid being off-topic myself, that was an interesting match n_n, grats on your first win christo and gl in the future haha

looking forward to the games this week, especially the hikari match as I think he will turn it on strong mid-late season as he does historically and also because he's one of the more diverse players in terms of teambuilding

tehy

Banned deucer.
if people here really need some kind of an explanation;

252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 91-108 (29.6 - 35.1%)

With Entei's extremespeed doing an additional 55%... even if it was special croak (which not even modest Specs OHKOes but let's say he crit), just go into virizion, click giga drain and die, then click espeed twice.

252+ Atk Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Aerodactyl: 59-69 (19.6 - 22.9%)
smogons local autistic clown strikes again
is it just me, or are you wrong every time you confront me...

smogon's most toxic user strikes again.

edit: quick tl;dr in case anyone really doesn't get it: all he had to do was click attacks until toxicroak was at like 50, which wasn't even difficult. then entei won.

Bugzinator definitely did not choke. The way i played my Toxicroak and just by looking at the team, it looks like a special variant. Going into Virizion on the scout was definitely the correct play.
I would argue staying in with Doublade and going for Iron Head was definitely the better play. You are risking a Dark Pulse flinch I guess, but he didn't even know for sure if you were the special variant. If you didn't flinch him, he wins with Sneak + Extreme Speed vs. Aerodactyl. Also, even if you did flinch him, he could have switched to Virizion and won anyway. And of course, if your Toxicroak ended up being physical like it ended up being, it was a free win. So yes, it was a choke.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
What I don't understand, is that after Virizion died to Toxicroak, why did bugzy not go into Entei? If that was sucker croak as standard let Entei die, and doublade still wins cause it tanks even boosted sucker easily and kills Croak with +2 Gyro or whatever. If that wasn't sucker, well then Entei revenged. That was a win-win play and he didn't take it.

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
not to take away from christo but not sdding on turn 15 was the chke so idk what yall are talking about

tehy

Banned deucer.
its max hp toxicroak you fucking mong stop posting
252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 91-108 (24.5 - 29.1%)

252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxicroak: 87-104 (23.5 - 28.1%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 187-221 (50.5 - 59.7%)

'but drain punch' if christo was the god set dark pulse + drain punch then you say GG and move on.

pretty much he needed to get low rolls all 3 times, and also not have Life Orb, and also be able to switch moves against Virizion, and also OHKO Doublade which, by the way:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Toxicroak Dark Pulse vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 248-294 (77.7 - 92.1%)

he probably couldn't even do in the worst-case most ridiculous scenario

edit: well rocks weren't up...call it a choke anyhow though

Last edited:
I would argue staying in with Doublade and going for Iron Head was definitely the better play. You are risking a Dark Pulse flinch I guess, but he didn't even know for sure if you were the special variant. If you didn't flinch him, he wins with Sneak + Extreme Speed vs. Aerodactyl. Also, even if you did flinch him, he could have switched to Virizion and won anyway. And of course, if your Toxicroak ended up being physical like it ended up being, it was a free win. So yes, it was a choke.
If he flinched with croak then it put me in aero eq range and the aero set wasn't revealed either (it could have roosted on sneak then won the game with eq + ace). yeah I should have just iron headed and risked a possible pulse flinch, but knock off wasn't on my mind at all, and playing the way I did won the game vs any other set.

Honestly more annoyed that the leicester city names lost than I am about choking (bigs are out anyway so who even cares).

Last edited:
this last page gave me cancer lol

gg christo, wp
i was missing your buildings, or as DaSpoofy said, "Christo balance"
imo the best balance builds ORAS UU have
keep up the good work

SPL first weeks were very good but im excited for the next games

scald is a competitive and balanced move that reward skills and make games enjoyable to watch

besides that early game, gg hogg! gz on your first victory!
draco miss may hurt a bit but it was all around a fine game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)