ORAS OU Monotype? no, I must take it a step further.

Intro.
I'm AkashSky, and I recently have been getting into pokemon. The first pokemon game I ever played was Crystal, so I was ecstatic back when Soul Silver and Heart Gold were released. My favorite pokemon color is gold, so I decided to make a team of mono-gold pokemon. My results were not too great, and you can see a first draft of my team here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/golden-shiny-team.3560010/#post-6594088.

As a read more about pokemon strategy, I found Hyper Offense very appealing. Not having to predict too much and controlling the momentum of the game sounded like a great way to play! Unfortunately, I couldn't make pure Hyper Offense, so I decided to make an Offense focused team instead of hyper offense.

Team Building Process:
I literally kept as many pokemon as I could from my old team and remade their sets to be more offensive. This meant that I had the following pokemon:

Next, I decided that I needed a suicide lead, since none of these pokemon were fit for the job.

After, I decided that I needed another special attacker, since I am currently physical heavy.

In Depth

Nickname: Zolota
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 Atk / 60 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Skill Swap Taunt
- Explosion

This is my dedicated suicide lead. I always lead with azelf no matter what the matchup. I really don't care what pokemon my opponent sends against azelf. What I try to do is get up stealth rocks and then use either explosion or flamethrower. I use flamethrower over fire blast because of accuracy issues, and I prefer flamethrowers consistency. I've noticed that I often get the short end of the stick if my opponent gets a kill on my azelf in exchange for stealth rocks. For this reason, I choose to run taunt over Skill Swap and play more patiently vs Magic Bounce teams, and wait for an opening to get stealth rocks up.

Nickname: Gold
Lucario @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Now, before you go bashing this lucario and claiming it to be unviable in OU, please note lucario's low 90 base speed. 90 base speed simply isn't enough to compete as an attacker in the OU environment, where offensive pokemon typically have 100 or more base speed. As a result, why not simply invest in bulk to survive some non-stab attacks better, (like a clefairy's flame thrower). Normally I am reluctant to do so on any offensivly geared pokemon, because going first is always more important than surviving. However, when a pokemon has a priority move, that priority move artificially inflates its speed. If lucario was able to get off a close combat and still be alive, the extremespeed is damage is essentially added on to the opponent for free, often leading to KO's. The Shuca Berry makes it so that Lucario can actually check pokemon like Tyranitar and Excadrill, as they fail to OTK lucario with earthquake.

Nickname: Sonum
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

I use azumarill as a quasi special tank. Assault vest adds significantly to azumaril's bulk, allowing it to survive many thunderbolt's that would otherwise kill it. For example, vs a Raikou, I could use play rough/water fall, tank a thunderbolt, and then use aqua jet's priority to finish the kill or add on additional damage. Assault vest nearly ensures that Azumaril will live long enough to get the last laugh with aqua jet. Some downsides are a lack of power, but Azumarill has great coverage to get alot of super effective hits on opposing pokemon. The largest weakness of this set by far is its weakness to status, but the same could be said about any offensive set.

Nickname: Oro
Arcanine (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4HP /252 Atk / 252Def
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun

Arcanine is my pseudo physical wall. I use to run max speed along with a life orb on arcanine, until a mega-lopunny came along and destroyed my entire team. I find fake-out extremely obnoxious so I put on a rocky helmet to my arcanine. Whenever my opponent leads with a lopunny, I always switch to arcanine giving it an intimidate and some damage in return for the fake-out. However, I do prioritize attacking instead of walling, so I have given it 3 attacking moves and don't use will-o-MISS. I usually don't like switching this into an attack, unless I know its going to be a physical contact move. However, against mega-lopunny, this guy is kinda a necessity.

Nickname: Konjiki
Latias @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 7 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Latias is my revenge Killer/Wall Destroyer. I equipped her with a choice scarf because I noticed that I always lost to dragon dancers that had some form of recovery like roost, (Mega Charizard, Altaria), So I decided to use a choice scarf Latias with max speed and special attack to have some counterplay to that. I do know that Latios outclasses Latias due to his power, but Healing Wish on Latias does have some uses in revitalizing my psuedo walls if they are worn down too much. This is also the only method I have to heal azumaril on my team. Trick is RARELY used, simply because it is so risky. However, against defensive teams, I have to use it or else I will lose. As a result, I always try to use a double swap to confirm that my opponent will switch into something (while trying to hide my choice scarf) before using trick if I deam it necessary. Also, latias acts like a nice late game cleaner since anything that doesn't resist draco meteor takes quite a bit of damage from it. 7 Attack IV's are ran because it is physically impossible to have a timid shiny latias with less than 7 attack IVs. Don't believe me? Try to find a SID/TID combination using RNG reporter on hgss. Also, Latios isn't GOLD like Latias :).

Nickname: Aurum
Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Pidgeot got a nice +10 base speed buff in XY, putting him at 101 base speed, which is actually extremely significant since he outspeeds the myriad of base 100 pokemon. This makes mega-evolving Pidgeot significantly easier that it would have otherwise been. I use Mega Pidgeot because of its high special attack, and I wanted another special attacker to balance out my teams offense. No guard works wonders, offering 100% accurate hurricanes, (which is pretty dam powerful when considering its STAB). I also like the normal typing, as it lets me switch into the occasional gengar when I know they will use shadow ball.

Why I made this Post:
I recently peaked with this team at 1489 rating. I want to improve both this team and my play in order to break into the 1500 zone. Here is proof of my peak since I hear that people are always super suspicious of ladder rank.
http://imgur.com/7GUzbRh

I have since broken into the 1500 zone using the above pokemon! Proof: http://imgur.com/u8E7vUj

The main game changer was trick on Latias. It really destroys defensive pokemon and turns the tide of a battle.

What I want from this post:
1) I want advice on how to improve this team, even at the cost of breaking the mono-color theme. This is so that I can improve my play and progress higher on the ladder.
2) I want advice on how to improve this team, while preserving the mono-color theme. (Any pokemon with a pixel of gold on them is allowed on the team). This is so that I can still have a nice cool mono-gold team for casual play.

**Also, in the advice given for how to improve the team while maintaining mono-gold, I would prefer that no event moves are suggested, because I actually want to make the team in real life using RNG abuse in DPPt, HGSS**

-Thanks for reading my team

Akash Sky

Importable
Arcanine (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Lucario @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 196 Atk / 60 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Skill Swap
- Explosion

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Last edited:
Reactions: EV
Hi. This is a somewhat good team, but here are some of my own suggestions.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail

This Lucario, in my opinion, is one that I would personally recommend. You did mention that Lucario is quite slow, which is white I invested max EVs in Speed, as well as kept Extreme Speed for late knock-outs. Iron Tail is there for Fairy Types [such as Clefable] and Close Combat is there to deal with Tyranitar. You might even want to give it a Jolly Nature, to increase Speed.

As for your Latias, I'd run Offensive Support w/ Life Orb since Latias has access to a plethora of moves. Choice Scarf isn't essential as it already has good base speed.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

In this set, Defog helps against Stealth Rock users, that can damage Pidgeot and Arcanine. Pretty much everything is the same. Again, I have put 252 Speed, so that it can outspeed Pokemon like Keldeo.

Using Arcanine as a wall seems a bit doubtful, due to its poor defence and special defence. I'd replace it with Heatran and use it as an Offensive Stallbreaker, or Specially Defensive.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

or

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Finally, for Azumarill, I'd use a Choice Band set, since it allows Azu to deal more damage with its hard-hitting moves such as Waterfall (and its ability).

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

tl;dr - L/O Lucario w/ Max Speed
L/O Latias w/ Max Speed & Support.
Heatran>Arcanine
Choice Band Azu

Hope I helped!! :D
Sounds like some solid advice, but what is the optimal way to use heatran? I've never played a heatran before so I don't know what the best way to play it is. Removing the choice scarf on latias makes it so that dragon dancers sweep my team if they come in on a pokemon that can't do much damage to them like arcanine. They get a dragon dance boost, I swap, but have nothing to outspeed, and proceed to wreck my team. I can't even leave arcanine in to get some damage because they can just roost and proceed to boost till +6. So if I choose to remove a scarf for a life orb, I need some other check to dragon dancers.

As for the lucario, I am open to trying out a life orb set, but it is still outsped, and OHKO'd by most offensive attackers, whereas with the shuca berry, lucario actually beats pokemon like excadrill one v one. To top it off, iron tail's 25% miss chance is something that is garenteed to lose me games. I would rather use a more consistent coverage move, like ice punch.

As for choice band, can you explain what choice band azumaril can do that assault vest azumaril cannot? (I currently use assault vest to quasi check contrary serperiors, as the first leaf storm fails to OHKO, since most people think serperior is a great check to azumaril). Another thing to note is that I'd need to predict heavily with it as long as there are walls on my opponents team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)