2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks Brock Obama said:
Yeah, and in those years I see United dominance under the legendary Sir Alex Ferguson who literally knocked Liverpool off of their perch in England as the team that has won the most league titles, that's the equivalent of Diego Simeone consistently winning enough La Liga titles to come even with Real Madrid or Barcelona. In fact at the end of Sir Alex's tenure he managed to consistently win with subpar teams and punch well above his weight, don't tell me that a midfield starring an aging Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs and the wonderful talents of Anderson deservedly should win the title as much as they did, those pricks pulled titles off where they had no business to during that time. I see Arsenal winning an undefeated league title. I see the rise of Manchester City and the slow slump of Liverpool who still managed to stay competitive with the richer clubs at the top with academy bred talent like Gerrard and smart spending. I see a lot more teams vying for the trophy during those years than I see in Spain.
As if any other Premier League Teams have / had better midfields then Scholes / Giggs.
Yes Arsenal won two titles ages ago, just like Valencia did. Both in the same years and both struggle to be a title contender in the last years and usually finished top 4. Yes Manchester City somewhat took the place of United after Fergie's departure, but any team not named Chelsea or Man City winning the PL in the next years will be an upset.
But of course it's true that the Premier League is much closer, due to the lack of world class teams. This doesn't change the fact that considering the quality of plays the spanish La Liga is obviously the best. The teams on top of the league are better and also the "medicore" teams like Athletic Club or Sevilla show in the Europa League that they miles ahead of the english equivalents. You might argue that the teams at the bottom of the league are better in England, but since they are not competing against each other no one can proof anything here.
I'm not saying the PL is boring, I'm just saying that it is nowhere near the best league of the world.

At the beginning of every season in England multiple teams are talked about as title contenders, not just the "Will it be Real or Barca?" articles in Spain that have now been utterly astonished by the fact that someone else is actually contending now. Hell, look at the Premier League now, last years champions who you mentioned were part of the reason the Prem is boring because they've won it several times are struggling, and a team that was nearly relegated is at the top of the table in February! A team in the bottom half in England will typically be more competitive than a team in the bottom half of La Liga because it's not nearly as tilted as it is in Spain, simple as that.
This is one year, if Leicester manages to win it in the end you can compare that to Stuttgart winning the Bundesliga in 06/07. An underdog winning due to heavily underperforming top teams. I doubt that they will be able to perform like this again and expect Chelsea and City to be dominant in the future. Ligue une title race was very close last year (much closer than the one in England btw), but is the excat opposite this year. One year is not enough close to be enough of a sample to show anything.
So which teams have been talked to win the PL this season? The FC "we always finish 4h" Arsenal? Tottenham "nowhere close to win the title since ages" Hotspurs? Louis van Gaal's super consistent Manchester United? The FC Liverpool, which showed already in 14/15 how they could compensate Suarez leaving without losing any quality? Leicester City?
No one really expected one of those teams to win the league. The only serious contenders were Manchester City and Chelsea. And they most likely will be the favourites next year. Probably City above everyone else because of Guardiola and maybe some Manchester United depending on which coach they can get.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
As if any other Premier League Teams have / had better midfields then Scholes / Giggs.
Yes Arsenal won two titles ages ago, just like Valencia did. Both in the same years and both struggle to be a title contender in the last years and usually finished top 4. Yes Manchester City somewhat took the place of United after Fergie's departure, but any team not named Chelsea or Man City winning the PL in the next years will be an upset.
But of course it's true that the Premier League is much closer, due to the lack of world class teams. This doesn't change the fact that considering the quality of plays the spanish La Liga is obviously the best. The teams on top of the league are better and also the "medicore" teams like Athletic Club or Sevilla show in the Europa League that they miles ahead of the english equivalents. You might argue that the teams at the bottom of the league are better in England, but since they are not competing against each other no one can proof anything here.
I'm not saying the PL is boring, I'm just saying that it is nowhere near the best league of the world.

This is one year, if Leicester manages to win it in the end you can compare that to Stuttgart winning the Bundesliga in 06/07. An underdog winning due to heavily underperforming top teams. I doubt that they will be able to perform like this again and expect Chelsea and City to be dominant in the future. Ligue une title race was very close last year (much closer than the one in England btw), but is the excat opposite this year. One year is not enough close to be enough of a sample to show anything.
So which teams have been talked to win the PL this season? The FC "we always finish 4h" Arsenal? Tottenham "nowhere close to win the title since ages" Hotspurs? Louis van Gaal's super consistent Manchester United? The FC Liverpool, which showed already in 14/15 how they could compensate Suarez leaving without losing any quality? Leicester City?
No one really expected one of those teams to win the league. The only serious contenders were Manchester City and Chelsea. And they most likely will be the favourites next year. Probably City above everyone else because of Guardiola and maybe some Manchester United depending on which coach they can get.
Why do you even bother ffs, everyone knows that the BPL is the most entertaining, not the best (and not being the best is actually a major contributor to that) and those that don't are better left ignored.

Why do you even bother ffs, everyone knows that the BPL is the most entertaining, not the best (and not being the best is actually a major contributor to that) and those that don't are better left ignored.
We are all mediocre in our league, its so entertaining

The tactical innovations have always come from mainland Europe so PL teams have always been behind. But the average PL team is much stronger than the average team from other leagues right now. We can speculate why PL teams do badly in European competition. One reason could be the lack of a winter break. Another reason could be the fact that the PL don't reschedule league matches in order to give their teams an extra day of rest and preparation for the upcoming European match. In my opinion the biggest reason is simply that money talks and the PL is by far the most cash-rich league which means teams that compete in it will prioritise it over all other competitions. We see this in the approach of PL teams when it comes to the Europa league, it's just a joke the kind of second string teams clubs put out. In the CL the effect is less obvious but I think we have seen down the years that PL managers even prioritise the PL over the CL like Wenger playing Sanogo against Bayern or Rodgers playing a second string against Real Madrid. Pellegrini has never rested Aguero for a PL match that is scheduled close to a CL match, he always rests him in the CL match, it's unbelievable. When the rewards from the PL are so much higher than every other competition, it becomes a problem of priorities. On the other hand, a team like PSG or Bayern can focus all of their effort on the CL. They buy their domestic rivals' best players and the culmination of their season is testing themselves in European competition.

IMO the PL is a victim of its own success. Its fair and even distribution of prize money means Bournemouth is richer than Ajax and when you look at the squads of midtable and even relegation teams in the PL, they look very strong. Stoke signing Shaqiri is probably the biggest sign yet that the PL has become something like a super league where even small teams can afford to attract star names. Newcastle outspending the Bundesliga shows how warped the football landscape has become. The success of the PL has kind of devalued European competition, so much so that top European clubs are talking about forming their own super league in order to create balance (and obviously make more money for themselves). This gap will only get bigger in future and PL teams will become more and more like a super league unless they can successfully redesign the CL. Because of the popularity of the PL, whether its teams do well in European competition matters less and less to the clubs with each passing year.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
La Liga doesn't have a winter break and iirc it's only the french league. Also Rodgers doesn't start his best eleven against Real because he doesn't care, but because he knows he has no chance to win anyways. And giving players a break is something every top team does.
You just can't deny that the level of plays in the PL is lower than in Spain and Germany. After watching Bayern-Dortmund "top matches" like City vs United are giving you eye cancer and look more like Hamburg vs Bremen.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
I can by looking at the whole picture and not at the top 10 clubs in world football, but the whole league. Koln vs Mainz or Liverpool vs Southampton? If I want to watch good football, I'll watch the latter, and that's the 9th vs 7th in each respective league.

Yeah the top 4/3 clubs in Germany and Spain are better than the best English clubs. But that quality rapidly declines throughout the rest of the league.

The epl snatches up players from these supposed weaker teams in other leagues all the time. The quality of these lower teams in the foreign leagues is a lot higher than people want to admit

Wolfsburg finally win a match after failing to do so in their last seven, and their first in 2016. Meanwhile Bayern Munich almost have no center backs, rip Badstuber

Will never understand why LvG got rid of Welbeck and Hernandez.

Anyway, I am still enjoying tonight. What a difference Sturridge and Coutinho made although Villa were absolutely dire; even Kolo Toure scored against them. I can't even compare the awfulness of this side against Derby (when they first came up) and Sunderland (the season they finished with 11 points)

Will never understand why LvG got rid of Welbeck and Hernandez.

Anyway, I am still enjoying tonight. What a difference Sturridge and Coutinho made although Villa were absolutely dire; even Kolo Toure scored against them. I can't even compare the awfulness of this side against Derby (when they first came up) and Sunderland (the season they finished with 11 points)
Well Hernandez scores goals and we all know how much Van Gaal hates that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)