Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
yeah, my point sort of falls flat when u consider the common dissonance between in-game and anime logic (i.e. volcanion and magiana might be bffs in movie but have nothing to do with each other in game)

K, so here's my master conspiracy theory. It's so outrageous you all owe me 10$ if I'm right. K, so Magiana is a 7th gen Legendary, and the 7th region is based off of Britain, and it's got a Steampunk theme. I mean, Britain was the first nation to be affected by the Industrial Revolution, so it'd make sense. Then, more and more man made pokemon are being created. So, a team of people are attempting to revert the world back to what it once was, or we might get a Gen 3-esque plot and have 2 evil teams, each fighting each other. One wants to use Magiana to make the whole world mechanical, and the other team wants to destroy Magiana and use the power from it's core looking thing to revert the world. Again, I doubt this is even remotely right.

As with most people right now, I'm totally lost; both with Gamefreak's marketing strategies, the plans for future games, etc.

That being said, I'm very excited for more news on this. It seems interesting.

First and foremost allow me say that I agree with all the people that think this is another ohmankecleonearlyintheanime kinda thing

but it also is indicative of a trend that has more to do with pokemon as a whole than just pokemon Z (although it will affect Z pretty hard)

so with that in mind I'll go on a bit of a tanget:

As we all know this year is pokemon's 20th anniversary and we're getting all sort of spin-offs announced but no main game in sight, and this is pretty weird when you think about it, I mean it's been months since Zygarde's forms were announced and considering the timing of the anniversary (the 27 this month) the reveal of a 3rd version would have been just perfect

instead we gotten no news about it, not even a hint

Why? from a marketing perspective it makes no sense, it's a big anniversary so release a new version, a bunch of spin-offs and call it a day year; it would have been logical kept the fans and investors happy and it even would have been easy, I mean sure you have to include some new content but is largely the same game just reuse some assests like always, and is not as it wasn't in the cards before since you made sure to announce new forms for one legendary so why not go ahead and release pokemon Z for the anniversary gamefreak?

what's going on here?

Well to try to answear that let's try taking at a bigger picture:

Is not news the Wii U has been performing badly and as many here might know nintendo has announced it's entering the smartphone market and making a new platform, now yes nintendo is not gamefreak but they're pretty dang close what with gamefreak being a 2nd party developer and that

now you might know were I'm going with this, bluh pokemongotakeover bluh zversioncancelled bluh gloomanddoom bluhbluh
and while I am saying that I'm not just saying that

let's see exactly why gamefreak might have postponed if not outright abandoned pokemon Z for pokemon Go:

for quite a while nintendo was reluctant to enter the mobile market
http://andriasang.com/comy5c/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/12/4422020/why-nintendo-wont-make-smartphone-games
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/121025qa/03.html
as for why it was reluctant, well I'm not going to go into it here, but just google "atari 83" and then "current state of the mobile market" and you'll get and idea of why nintendo didn't want to go mobile

the fact that nintendo changed its mind tells us things must be pretty dire for it to do so and commit one of it's biggest franchises to it
and it is a commitment make no mistake

how do we know this? well nintendo first mobile "game" will be Miimotto, something that investors are not to happy about (nor is the press but who cares about them really?), now putting an underwhelming franchise as its first game is a calculated risk
http://www.serkantoto.com/2015/11/04/nintendo-shock/
but it does put more pressure on its next game to be a hit

what's nintendo's next mobile game?

Pokemon Go

but is not just that

I know I'm kinda linking everything and the kitchen sink here but if you're gonna read just one article read this next one, it's really short (shorter that this post even)
http://www.serkantoto.com/2015/12/07/nintendo-niantic-japan-mobile/
read that last part? yeah nintendo is betting pretty heavily in this AR games thing

which is why they need for pokemon Go to be a hit

by this point I'm pretty certain that this lack of news on pokemon Z is because gamefreak is diverting most of its resources into making Go a hit

and this is without me going into the whole Google collaboration

or how marketing to "casuals" is way more profitabile that targeting the hardcore (it really is just ask Cave)

or nintendo's "hopes for nintendo profitability" thing

or the superbowl ad

so in conclussion (btw we totally need a detective pikachu emoticon, that and the psyduck one)

• Nintendo is in financial stress
  • Pokemon Go is being bet on pretty heavily on
  • Few to no news on a third version of a main game

My final view on the situation is; gamefreak is focusing on developing pokemon Go and any potential thid version is being delayed/cancelled

doom and gloom

bluh bluh

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The problem with your theory is that GF is not developing GO at all, a separate company is. TPCi might be holding back on marketing for some reason (possibly related to GO but more likely for a 20th Anniversary reveal), but I seriously doubt the game's development is on hold because of GO.

This franchise prints money, they have no real reason to delay Z outside of a 20th Anniversary bombshell for max hype.

Niantic is collaborating with gamefreak and like I said game is kinda pretty important for the future of the company so yeah pretty sure gamefreak is involved heavily in it too

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Correction: They are collaborating with TPCi and Nintendo. There's a huge difference.

Game Freak does the game development of the main series games and (I assume) has direct control of their content, while TPCi handles pretty much everything else like marketing, spin-offs, and merchandise stuff.

Well there's also the fact that Junichi Masuda is working on it so (and here is the perfect spot for that psyduck emoticon)

not exactly a light project like say pokemon ranger

Well mate time will tell

cause if it's not that either pokemon Z will be announced on the 27 or gamefreak is being runned by a rogue zoroark

"what's our strategy for the next fiscal quarter sir?" "ziaaaaaark"

Reactions: JES

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I agree that there is definitely something wrong with either GF or Nintendo.
I agree that the marketing makes no sense.

I saw Ken Sugimori tweeting that he was under huges stress.

But lets hope Pokemon Go will save the day.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What's with the Shiny Mega Gardevoir, Gengar, and I'm assuming that Alakazam too (Alakazam needs a better Shiny)? And yes, Ash-Greninja isn't a Mega... which is why its posed with other Mega Pokemon. No confusion can come from that.

Also, Bulbapedia is saying its a Mythical (Event) Pokemon. Did they jump to a conclusion or is this confirmed?
Yep, the translators have gotten a hold of the scans and confirmed that Magiana is indeed a Mythical Pokemon.

Translation below

The 2016 Pokémon movie!

Premieres Saturday July 16th

Volcanion and the Ingenious Magiana

This is Magiana, who has been revealed together with the movie title! Let us take a closer look at the mysteries concerning it!

A Pokémon that absolutely no one has actually seen before: Its name is "Magiana" (マギアナ)

Here is a world exclusive presentation of absolutely all data we currently have on "Magiana"! This mysterious Pokémon is the first ever in a certain field!

Magiana
Magiana possesses a metallic body. The truth is that it's an artificial Pokémon built by human hand!
Species: Artificial Pokémon
Height: 1.0m
Weight: 80.5kg

We'll shed lights on the movie's story as well!!!
As Satoshi and his friends continue their journey, Volcanion drops down from the sky in front of them. Volcanion's object is to recover Magiana, who has been abducted by the "Azoth Kingdom", a city of super-machinery. However, Volcanion and Satoshi have become linked together by a strange chain. Will the two of them manage to work together and save Magiana?

A thorough analysis from the Corocoro editorial staff
1) It's a new mythical Pokémon
This is a Pokémon that hasn't been discovered in the video game world yet. How to obtain it is unknown as well!

2) What is the secret to its ingenuities!?
Magiana was born by human hand 500 years ago. Its body is filled with mechanisms!?

3) How is it related to Volcanion?
Is the greatest of the mysteries to Magiana only known to Volcanion, the one that chases after it!?

The manga starts already next issue!!
The manga preview in this issue packs a punch as well!! Check it out on page 276!!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
can we just talk about HOW CUTE THE FANART ALREADY IS
like LOOK AT IT
I'm almost surprised that Yilx isn't all over this yet. Oh well, knowing him, he will be.

Speaking of Pokémon Z, I'm starting to wonder what the heck is up. It's almost as if Game Freak cancelled it and forgot to tell the marketing people. I mean, this is the timeline of Z-related incidents, with dates added for a potential Z release:
  • November 2014 - ORAS released
  • Summer 2015 - Z revealed to be a thing.
  • September 2015 - Zygarde Cell revealed.
  • October 2015 - Zygarde's formes revealed. More info given. The Anime starts a new arc named XY&Z.
  • November 2015 - Z released.
  • February 2016 - signs of a new generation begin to show with the reveal of the first seventh generation Pokémon, Magiana.
Pokémon Z would have fit like a glove in the timeline of events we have already seen. The boxart mascot is revealed, the Anime has entered an arc (presumably) named after the game, Pokémon XY&Z the Movie is announced, and Magiana seems to be an indication of the next game already. There should have been a Z game somewhere in there, but no, we got nothing. I'm starting to wonder how they'll even promote Z at all, when the time comes. They seem to have released all the promotional material already. It's no good thing to only have old news to show when you promote your product.

Once again, my theory goes that Z was intended to be released last autumn, and probably finished production in line with the schedule, but unforeseen events pushed it back. By the time that decision was made, the marketing campaign was already written, Anime episodes readily produced and some materiel released. With little time to adapt to the reality that ORAS would have a shelf life much longer than intended, the promotional stuff for Z was distributed according to the original plan, the Anime episodes aired and the movies promoted, but without any reference to the game itself. The tease of Zygarde would be enough to keep the fans interested, and the deluge of spin-off-games released in the mean time could make them busy enough not to leave the franchise entirely for the lack of core series games. With the reveal of Magiana, the Internet is once again abuzz with Pokémon discussions, without the need to announce any core series games.

As for what those unforeseen events could be, my money is on the next console - on which Gen VII would be released - being delayed. There was talks of Nintendo revealing the NX at E3 2015, but that never came to be and there's still no trace of it in sight. With the console delayed, Gen VII was delayed, leaving a huge gap between games if Z was to be released according to the original schedule. Instead of taking that gap post Z, Nintendo decided to postpone Z for some time, meaning the extended waiting period is split between post-ORAS and post-Z. After all, it's better to release three games 18 months between, than releasing the second 12 months after the first and the third 24 months after that again.

And, once again again, let me remind you that no core series Pokémon game has been revealed in CoroCoro since Platinum. That's, what, eight years ago now? As such, we shouldn't necessarily expect the game to be announced when CoroCoro leaks. Rather, the leaking of CoroCoro "forces" Nintendo to reveal stuff via its official channels ahead of the leak, then CoroCoro can bring additional details. Flipping that sentence around, we should really only expect CoroCoro to reveal additional details only, as a rule of thumb. The "big stuff" related to games will be revealed via other channels. If no such "big stuff" is revealed ahead of CoroCoro's leak, we shouldn't expect CoroCoro to bring anything useful either.

Then again, they're early on the ball in regards to movie news, which means we'll ocassionally see stuff like this. New Pokémon, new formes, stuff that isn't in the games yet. But no game reveals, that's not their job any more.

Damn I wish my laptop was working, I'd get my tablet out and join in on all of this:

I was explaining the Z thing to a friend who only plays casually yesterday, but I don't think I explained it very well. The whole experience is like walking up a flight of stairs and expecting there to be another step at the top, and missing it entirely as your foot sinks through the floor, only it keeps happening. *comic sans* Or as though the release itself has already happened but been surgically removed from our memories, and all we're left with is the byproducts. I don't mind the wait, but things like the XY&Z anime, or the Zygarde formes (which are releasing in the next TCG set btw), or hell, even the existence of Zygarde, (Z is much more obvious than Grey was last gen) it's either some weird taunt/untried hyping strategy or Codraroll is right and something massively delayed the game after the ball was set in motion. Weird as hell.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
To break off from the Z schedule discussion for a bit, what about how the movie synopsis mentions a place called the Azoth kingdom?

While normally this isn't anything noteworthy (movie locations are always made up and then thrown away), Azoth is also mentioned in ORAS, in magma/aqua's secret base:

"The Project AZOTH... A stands for the beginning, Z stands for the end—that's what I think, but I don't know what O, T, and H stand for."

PROJECT AZOTH File No. 1:
The goal of Project AZOTH is to return the world—return everything—to the beginning. In order to further the project, we must proceed with research on Groudon's Primal Reversion/Kyogre's Primal Reversion. Primal Reversion is a potential of Pokémon Evolution, a potential different from Mega Evolution. Mega Evolution is made possible by the energy of people and Pokémon. Primal Reversion is made possible by natural energy. In Primal Reversion, Groudon/Kyogre absorbs natural energy into its body, thereby increasing its power dramatically. Both states significantly enhance Pokémon's power: the difference lies in the source of the required energy.

PROJECT AZOTH File No. 2:
We intend to analyze the power of the ultimate weapon used in Kalos 3,000 years ago and work on the development of a drill weapon utilizing the technology. The Seafloor Cavern is sealed by the power of a Legendary Pokémon. The only way to gain access to the cavern is to break the seal with power that exceeds that of the Pokémon. According to the report from the Petalburg recon team, Devon Corporation holds the secret of the technology of the ultimate weapon. We will dedicate all our resources to obtain this technology.
How does this tie in with XY and ORAS? Does Z let you visit Azoth? Is it next to Kalos or something? Is it where AZ is from, and why his team was 2/3 "ancient protector" pokemon (including yet another man-made pokemon in Golurk)? Is this where the superweapon was developed? Is magiana tied into the superweapon? How does Zygarde fit into all this? Why do the regi's face symbols sorta look like O, T, and H?

So many questions. Let's hope GF doesn't drop the ball on this as they usually do.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My theory on its English name: Sterabbit. Or Stabbit. I would personally like Stabbit. Either way though, I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. What I sort of determined, based off BW etc, everything else, is that Z has until May to be announced for October release or else it ain't happening. I don't remember how I formed this, but I think I based it around the previous games and their timelines. I just remember pretty recently I was hoping for gen 7 more than Z and this is a good sign. We might not even get Z in gen 6. We could get Z, as the first gen 7 game, set in a nearby country to XY. And that could be all for gen 7. Anything is possible. Remember Pokemon B2 and W2? Nobody thought that'd ever happen. All bets are off here, nothing is impossible. :')

Serious though, I really hope we get a bunch of new Pokemon. Nothing in Pokemon excites me more than a whole new generation. That might be because I was heavily involved in Gen 5, but still. EXCITING.

Reactions: JES
To break off from the Z schedule discussion for a bit, what about how the movie synopsis mentions a place called the Azoth kingdom?

While normally this isn't anything noteworthy (movie locations are always made up and then thrown away), Azoth is also mentioned in ORAS, in magma/aqua's secret base:

How does this tie in with XY and ORAS? Does Z let you visit Azoth? Is it next to Kalos or something? Is it where AZ is from, and why his team was 2/3 "ancient protector" pokemon (including yet another man-made pokemon in Golurk)? Is this where the superweapon was developed? Is magiana tied into the superweapon? How does Zygarde fit into all this? Why do the regi's face symbols sorta look like O, T, and H?

So many questions. Let's hope GF doesn't drop the ball on this as they usually do.
I'm glad someone brought up AZOTH. Check out this incredible theory picture I found on /v/... gotta say, the bit about the Regis had me in awe. If this is actually something they're tying together, then wow. (Warning: large screenshot)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I'm glad someone brought up AZOTH. Check out this incredible theory picture I found on /v/... gotta say, the bit about the Regis had me in awe. If this is actually something they're tying together, then wow. (Warning: large screenshot)

haha yeah I was in that thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)