Other Metagames Mono-water (also kind of OU)

I always wanted to be a Gym leader, and a lot of my favorite pokemon are Water type so that's what I started off with. I've been tweaking the team for a while and some of the pokemon which made me want to use all Water types had to go, but the team is a lot stronger for it. While this is a monotype team, I have taken it into OU and won a few matches. I'm relatively new, and this is my first team with any real thought put in to it, so I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill is part of my main defensive trio. While it does miss the Huge Power attack boost, Sap Sipper lets me switch in to Grass moves which is pretty handy. Waterfall and Play Rough are its main STABs, Knock Off adds a little utility. Ice Punch is there to try to hit Grass types a little harder, but in practice I haven't gotten all that much use out of it.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

The second part of the immunity trio. Volt Absorb lets Lanturn get a little health back on the switch. Heal Bell gets rid of statuses which are a real problem for my stall-ier pokemon like Gastrodon and Slowbro. Thunder Wave and Scald let me set up statuses to help out my sweepers.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog
- Recover

EV spread gives it equal Special Defense and Defense. Water type moves aren't really much of a concern for me, so I chose Sticky Hold over Storm Drain so the Leftovers can't get knocked off. Scald and Earth Power for STABs. Clear Smog keeps other pokemon from getting too set up for my other pokemon to handle.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off
- Surf

Slowbro is my bulky special sweeper. Defensive EVs, Calm Mind, and Slack Off make it pretty good at not dying, and the boost to Special Attack makes it hit pretty hard. Flamethrower is on there for coverage - without it an enemy Ferrothorn will ruin my day 100% of the time.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Gyarados is pretty much my only real physical attacker. I like running the Gyaradosite so I can ditch the 4x weakness to Electric, but I'll often keep it as regular Gyarados for Grass neutrality. It really depends on what the opposing pokemon is and which of my main defensive trio are knocked out.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Recover

My fast special sweeper. Psychic for STAB, Ice Beam for coverage. Entry hazards, especially Toxic Spikes are a real pain, so Rapid Spin to get rid of those. And Recover lets it stay in a bit longer.

Well, thanks for reading all that! Let me know what you think.

Trichotomy

is a Tiering Contributoris a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
MPL Champion
I sort of agree with Sobi.

- Thunder Wave > Flamethrower or Calm Mind on Slowbro. You really can't run a Slowbro w/o Slack Off.
- Yes, Scald > Surf on Slowbro.
- CB > Lefties on Azu
- LO > Lefties, Hydro Pump > Recover on Starmie
- Air Balloon on Lanturn is unnecessary.
- Dump those SpA EVs on Lanturn into SpD, and take off the speed, as you don't need it.
- Substitute > Stone Edge and Intimidate > Moxie on Gyarados. Stone Edge hits... nothing and Substitute helps you soak up status. Also, Intimidate is a great ability and Moxie doesn't come into play much at all.
-
>
-
Swampert gives you Stealth Rock and it also phazes better than Gastrodon.

That's about it. Good luck with your team.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hey dude, cool team! Here are some suggestions to elaborate off of those 2.
The first thing I noticed is your lack of rocks. A nice water type core is Lanturn + Empoleon (you already have Gyarados for ground immunity) so I'd definitely change Empoleon > Gastrodon with the moveset rocks, scald, defog, and roar. Usually on water teams with lanturn, lanturn is a good enough electric immunity/wall so I'd also make Lanturn mixed defensive.
Second of all, offensive sap sipper azu isn't strong enough to do anything so I'd recommend the bulky sap sipper set (only good in monotype) with Scald, Encore, Toxic, and Perish Song. This set is really helpful to huge threats to your team like breloom, and serperior. Scald for the burn chance, toxic to cripple walls, and perish song to stop sweeps.
Next, like they said above, definitely use Scald>Surf on slowbro for the burn chance.
On Gyarados, there are actually two solid options instead of stone edge so I would go Subsitute/Taunt > Stone Edge because Taunt can prevent set-up and defogs and is also helpful. Sub lets you sub on a burn which is arguably more useful. Also I would change Crunch > Earthquake because although eq is helpful vs electric types, lanturn is usually enough and the extra stab is extremely helpful. Sub crunch gyara also completely destroys types like psychic and ghost which could get annoying.
And yeah, Life Orb and Hydro Pump>Recover to hit venusaur and all mons harder and to utilize strong STAB.

Other than that, good team!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)