ORAS Ubers Klefki + PDon Hazard Stack

This is my first RMT that I've done here on smogon, so just sit back and enjoy. While this is nothing special, this team so far has reached 1429 with a 19-1 wl, and I felt that I needed this rate.

Now onto the teambuilding section and how I came up with this team.

I started off with Klefki as the first mon. Nice spikes setter with Prankster that can also spread annoying status around. Also is a nice check to Xerneas and other fairies. Then I thought about a partner to Klefki that can reliably set up rocks.

I next decided to add Primal Groudon to the team. It reliably sets up rocks, as you guys all know by now. It has a nice typing to check steel types and also another fairy check. In particular, GeoXern, as Klefki alone is usually not enough to bring this behemoth of a sweeper down. From there, I decided to make the rest of the team sweepers in some way.

I decided to go with Latios next, as it provides an important role for the team as a check to the Primals. It also fits well with the rest of the team as Klefki and Primal Groudon can set hazards up for it to get certain KOs that it would not get otherwise and PDon even takes on the steel types that Latios can't beat.

After Latios, I decided to go with something that could really clean well late-game, and it is a mon that we all know and either love or hate. Yep, GeoXern is here to fill the spot, and with reason. It is a very reliable sweeper when its checks are worn down or eliminated.

Now we have the mega of the team here. I realized that while Primal Groudon is amazing at checking certain physical threats, it can be pressured to check these threats, especially if I need it to check a potential GeoXern later in the match. Mega Salamence takes most of that pressure off of Primal Groudon and also comes as the only physical sweeper for the team.

And to round off the team, Darkrai just makes sense. It makes for a great anti lead with Dark Void and a blazing speed. On top of this, Darkrai has nice Special Attack to actually hurt things, and it can often sweep unprepared teams, and even against teams where Darkrai is easily checked, it can still do work if played correctly.

And that was how I built the team and how it came to be. Now let's move onto the nitty-gritty of things and what you guys want: the actual sets.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
Klefki is a nice check to alot of threats in Ubers. It can check fairies, dragons, psychics, and even dark types. Spikes is what makes Klefki so useful to this team, providing it with hazard support and weakening checks to the team's sweepers that way. Thunder Wave is a nice move to throw around when you're certain that PDon is not switching into Klefki and you're up against a fast mon. Toxic is more of a utility move against walls and PDon. Play Rough simply prevents Klefki from being taunt bait.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar
Primal Groudon adds an additional fairy check alongside Klefki. Specifically, GeoXern is checked by a combo of Klefki and Primal Groudon. In addition to GeoXern and other fairies, Primal Groudon can check steel types and even Primal Kyogre if it switches in after Primordial Sea takes effect. Stealth Rocks helps with the theme of the team, which is hazard stacking, and rocks alongside spikes allow the team to get chip damage on checks to the team's sweepers. Precipice Blades is a nice and powerful STAB move that can dent most things. Lava Plume helps to fish for burns, as well as getting STAB and being boosted under Desolate Land. Roar is mainly to phaze any sweepers that try to sweep my team that PDon can check, especially GeoXern.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
Latios serves a very important role as a check to both Primals. However, Latios is also amazing at being a wallbreaker, especially on this team. Calm Mind helps Latios to wallbreak even better, as Latios is a nuke after +1 SpA in addition to Soul Dew. However, Calm Mind is only used when predicting a switch and I know that Latios can definitely KO the mon that's about to switch-in or if Latios can damage a mon enough to where they'll be crippled for the rest of a match. Draco Meteor is nice dragon stab, with a very high base power that really puts a hurting on mons if they try to take it. Of course, fairies are immune to Draco Meteor, which sucks. Also -2 from Draco does not help either. Psyshock is the other stab of this set, being the more spammable of the stabs. It mainly hits special walls that could otherwise tango with Latios and stop it from doing much. However, Psyshocks also has immunities in dark types, so Latios has to be careful with either of its stabs. Roost is so that Latios can recover any HP it lost if its low on a predicted switch.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
Xerneas is my go-to late game cleaner, and for good reason. It has nice power and Fairy Aura to back its damage up on its stab. Geomancy is what allows xerneas to be the amazing late game cleaner that it is, giving it a +2 boost to SpA, SpD, and Speed. Moonblast is STAB + boosted by Fairy Aura, so its going to sting most mons very hard, whether they resist it or not. However, a few mons can take its Moonblasts well. That is where its coverage comes in. Thunder mainly hits Ho-oh, allowing it to KO Ho-oh at +2 after rocks. Similarly, Focus Blast is to hit most steels and smack them around incase Primal Groudon does not stick around long enough to dispatch of them for Xerneas, although it relies on hitting a 70% accurate move, which could mean the difference between a late game sweep with Xern and a early stop.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
Mega Salamence takes up the mega slot, and fills in as the physical sweeper of the team. However, Mega Salamence can do more then just sweep. It can check most other physical sweepers, which relieves PDon and helps PDon conserve its HP to check other important threats. Dragon Dance is obvious, to help Mega Salamence sweep, giving it +1 to Attack and Speed. Roost recovers Mega Salamence's HP while losing its flying type, which could potentially play mind games and help you take less damage from a stone edge or something. Double-Edge is powerful STAB for Mega Salamence that is also boosted by Aerilate, and this is what gives a majority of Mega Salamence's power. Earthquake is even more coverage for steels in the event that PDon could not stick around to weaken them.

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
The final member of the team, and a fearful one at that. Darkrai is a really nice anti lead against a majority of the meta. Dark Void defines almost the entire reason that its such a great anti lead. It can put a otherwise great check to the team out of commission. Dark Pulse is STAB that Darkrai can freely spam with little trouble, as it gets chip damage on switch-ins to Darkrai. Nasty Plot is nice when Darkrai is ready to sweep or just simply to wallbreak after something has been put to sleep or on a predicted switch out. Sludge Bomb is to hit fairy types that try to take Darkrai's STAB Dark Pulse.

Threats to the team:

Arceus-Ground- This mon can very easily sweep my team with little trouble, having SE STAB against my main mon to take care of sweepers. While Darkrai can put a stop to an Arceus-Ground sweep with Dark Void if it needs to, it is not a complete stop, as Arceus-Ground can just wake up and attempt a sweep later if it wants to.

Mega Diancie- Primal Groudon is my only check to this mon, as Klefki can't paralyze it due to Magic Bounce, and this mon can be a nuisance for my team without PDon. Primal Groudon can at best take one Earth Power from it, but Primal Groudon is easily worn down by hazards, so eventually if Primal Groudon is able to be worn down enough, then Mega Diancie can simply break through Primal Groudon and sweep the rest of my team. In this case, I could possibly swap out Play Rough on Klefki for Flash Cannon and then simply make Klefki Calm instead of Careful, as Klefki can take a Earth Power.

Deoxys-Attack- Deo-A can be slightly problematic until I am able to scout its entire moveset, as Deo-A can carry something to hit every one of my mons hard. Its not unbeatable, however it can be a hassle to get around its coverage, especially since nothing outspeeds Deo-A. It just requires alot of playing around. Klefki seems to be the most reliable answer to Deo-A, but if HP Fire, then my next bet is Mega Salamence. If it has both Ice and HP Fire, then the only way to beat Deoxys-A is by sacrificing Klefki to T wave Deo-A so that something on my team can revenge kill it or making predictions. Obviously, this can be a bit of a challenge though as smart players will simply switch Deo-A out for another time or they can counter predict you even.

And that's it for my team. Give me any feedback on this team that you think is necessary.

Importable:
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb

Proposed changes:
Klefki: Play Rough > Flash Cannon
Latios: Calm Mind > Defog

Last edited:
Great Team! tbh I think you could do just fine without changing a thing but if I was to change anything it would be these things:

• Defog over CM on latios: your team has no hazard control and both of your defensive mons are weak to spikes. The problem is that CM latios can deal with the primals with ease, which is why you have it. Additionally, people might assume that your latios is Defog when it is really CM and not set up spikes because of that.
  • Flash Cannon on Klefki: as you said, Diancie is a big problem for this team. Play rough does't hit much considering you can deal with sableye using groudon.
other than that keep climbing up the ladder, good luck!

Okay, I will definitely change out Play Rough for Flash Cannon on Klefki, as it helps my team deal with Mega Diancie a little better. As for whether I should change out Calm Mind on Latios for Defog, I'll let you guys decide on that.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Hey 5FMP, this is a decent starting team, but it has many weaknesses that really need fixing to allow it to function effectively, I noticed you pointed out SD Groundceus and Dianice-Mega as threats to your team.

In all honestly, I feel like Darkrai & Latios need to be replaced and taking a more Bulky offensive your team could benefit from for it to function much more effectively higher up the ladder. Apart from the mentioned threats above, A well played E killer is also a threat to your team just as much as Groundceus/Diancie. Ho-oh also gives your team a rough time, Ho-oh can come in for free on Groudon & klefki, Salamence can't really risk the burn chance (your set is extremely punished by it).

So the changes I am going to suggest is Giratina-origin > Latios for defog support, SD recover Groundceus > Darkrai, Bulkier refresh salamence > Standard Dragon dance, finally Aromtherapy > Focus Blast on Xerneas

Giratina-origin > Latios

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
EVs: 248 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Defog

Latios can't really provide the constant defog support that this team needs, Nor do you have a single SD arceus check on your team, it also helps patch up the weakness to Groundceus and somewhat Ho-oh Physically defensive giratina-origin can phaze out the setup sweepers and physical attackers that seem to threaten your current build with dragon tail, it is also immune to ExtremeSpeed and other priority users such as mega kangaskhan, awell as providing a soft check to deoxys-A (something you mentioned that is hard for you to play around) Salamence really benefits with the defog support, giratina is able to defog multiple times throughout a game due to its increased natural bulk. Giratina can also anti lead vs hazard setters such as deoxys-speed.

SD Recover Groundceus > Darkrai

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover

This is a really cool set right now, It gives your team much more offensive coverage, a fundamental check to Diancie-mega, the biggest problem to your current build since it lacks flash cannon klefki Recover helps reserve it for later in the games where it can pull off a sweep, usally when all of it's main checks are weakened (giratina-o, bulky DD mence)

Bulky DD Refresh mence > Standard Dragon dance

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Refresh

Evs are standard, enough speed to creep max speed base 90s. your previous salamence team doesnt really fit bulky offensive builds and serves mainly as a win condition nor did it have the physical bulk to check notable physical threats to your team (E killer/Groundceus), this gives you a secondary check to most physical offense pokemon to avoid wearing down giratina-o. Salamence can now actually come in on Ho-oh and absorb any status for the team thanks to refresh. the extra bulk allows you to get in more dragon dances and allow it to setup much more reliability.

Aromatherapy geomancy Xerneas

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Aromatherapy

Focus blast isnt really needed coverage now, aromatherapy gives the team much more support, freeing it of status, the only thing focus blast really hits is primal groudon, which is covered pretty easily by the other team members.

optional: an alternative spread of 200 Def / 252 spa / 56 speed can be ran on xerneas giving it more general physical bulk and to live hits such as a +1 salamence return, unboosted double edge, 75% chance to live a +2 Adamant LO E speed from Arceus after rocks.

With the above changes, this also allows klefki to keep Play rough, which helps to take on Giratina/Yveltal/M-sab/Darkrai. Anyways I hope you take these changes into consideration and good luck with the ubers ladder!

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel like the weird double-fairy and lack of an Arceus is easily fixed by just replacing Xerneas with Extreme Killer Arceus. With Latios + Darkrai this team has enough firepower on the special side already while Klefki does the whole Dark + Lati check fine. Since you gain priority with EKiller you're better at forcing Deo-A out, and can revenge opposing EKiller, Arc Ground, and Darkrai. Klefki is a pretty solid Darkrai check, although you'll likely have to fodder something to sleep. Since Xerneas can now be revenged with Arceus, Roar becomes even less useful on Primal Groudon. I think you should replace it with Dragon Tail which trashes Lati switch-ins and lets you chip away at Gira-O and Mega Mence switch-ins for EKiller. If you really find Mega Diancie that much of a threat you can just run Flash Cannon, this team has enough physical checks to Xerneas.

I suppose if you still don't feel solid enough against EKiller you can do SD Arceus-Ghost instead of EKiller, but you open yourself up to Darkrai much more and lose power in the priority department. Focus Blast Darkrai actually makes some sense on this team as it can OHKO Tyranitar for Latios and Mega Mence while being able to blast through Mega Diancie (it hits a few other things too). You can also consider Refresh or Facade on Mega Salamence if you want another Pokemon that switches into Sacred Fire, or something that sponges status in general. The reality is that running a somewhat passive Pokemon like Klefki on such a build is naturally going to let certain Pokemon in virtually for free like RP / SD P Don and Arceus-Ground.

Summary:
- Change Xerneas to Extreme Killer Arceus
- Change Roar to Dragon Tail on Primal Groudon
- Consider Flash Cannon over Play Rough on Klefki (don't forget to change to a Calm nature)
- Consider Focus Blast over Sludge Bomb on Darkrai
- Consider Refresh or Facade over Earthquake on Mega Salamence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)