ORAS UU 30 Seconds to Mars - Balanced VoltTurn

30 Seconds to Mars - Balanced VoltTurn

Introduction
Hello! My name on showdown is Highways [Tier], i love Pokémon, but I got into competitive 2 years ago... So, I have decided to create a nice VoltTurn. Unfortunately, my English sucks, so sorry if I fail... Like everyone else, I love music, and especially 30 Seconds to Mars. So i create a team with my 6 favorite musics. Hope you enjoy!

Teambuiliding Process

Firstly, I chose one Pokémon that is "Underrated"... But it isn't. With a magnificent bulk and an impressive movepool, i choose him for my first slot. And no, i don't need a Swampert, thanks.

With a great Sp. Def, Florges is the UU's best Special Wall. It is very weak to Steel Types and Poison Types, fortunately, Seismitoad resist it. Also, Florges is a nice Cleric, that can cure Status and Life (Woaaaah! Surprising! ó_ò).

Forretress is the team's "frontier". It will finish the Defensive Core and Start the VoltTurn Core, magnificent, huh? Forretress is a great wall, and it have one only weakness... Fire, and one Ultra Resistance: Grass. The Seismitoad's opposite... Only Reuniclus and Roserade can touch that Defensive Core!

Beedrill Mega... A terrific and dangerous menace! It makes a good Core with Heliolisk and Forretress. The unique non-scarfed Pokémon that can outspeed it is Mega Aerodactyl. VoltTurn is amazing in UU, principally when your opponent has no Ground Type Pokémon. So, the stronger Pokémon who have U-Turn in UU is Mega Bee, the perfect choice!

Heliolisk finishes the VoltTurn core. That lizard is fast and powerful. With a max speed of 348, it can outspeed a good part of the UU Metagame, like Infernape without Vacuum Wave/Mach Punch, or Mienshao.

In my last slot, Hydreigon. Hydreigon is a nice Special Sweeper + Stall Breaker, and it perfectly match with my strategy: Put hazards, don't let my opponent remove them.

The Team
(Click on sets to see one surprise :O)
My dear Seismitoad... When you look at this Pokémon, you think: "Tsc... Underrated..." But no, he isn't. Seismitoad is the unique Water/Ground Pokémon that has access to Knock Off. So, it's a good choice to reitre Porygon2's Eviolite. Also, Seismitoad is a great rocker. It has no reliable recovery, but it can recover life in some free turns With Leftovers. Scald and Earth Power are some nice STABs, that can be used to kill Cobalion, or simply Burn an Pokémon.

Florges is a nice Sp. Wall. It can block any Special Attacker without a Super Effective or Psyshock, and do it's job: Heal my other Pokémon. Florges can Check other Dragon-Types, like Salamence, Hydreigon and Kingdra (who uses this). Florges is very important to cure Beedrill's Status, or just heal it. I think that aren't much things to say about that.

Forretress is an essential Wall. It can easily take a physical hit, and setup Spikes on it. Also, Forretress is the team's spinner, so, i need to take care, an missclick or a bad move can destruct my win chance. I can run to Hydra with Volt Switch, when a Mandibuzz or a Zapdos switch-in, so i can Taunt it and prevent a Defog or Roost, so i force them to switch, and take more 25% of damage. Volt Switch also helps me to run of Blastoise/Tentacruel on switch, in this case, i'll switch to Heliolisk, it can try to OHKO it with Thunderbolt. Gyro Ball is the crucial stab...
Mega Beedrill, the team's star. It has the most powerful U-Turn and Poison Jab off all Pokémon's Universe... Protect is essential to receive a monstrous speed... U-Turn gives me momentum and it is so awesome to use with Helio/Forry. Poison Jab can OHKO some Pokémon with neutral damage, such as Nape and Porygon-Z. Drill Run can catch Steel Types on switch, such as on-Mega Evolved Aggron and Cobalion. I use Jolly nature to speed tie with Mega Sceptile and other Mega Beedrill.

Heliolisk, a perfect Electric-Type... With Thunderbolt and Volt Switch, it can make a caos in HO teams without a Ground Type. Volt Switch complete the VoltTurn core. Grass Knot can easy KO Swampert and Seismitoad, and Hyper Voice is a powerful neutral STAB, that can hit hard Ground Types. Dry Skin is a nice ability, it can enter in CroCune or Vaporeon without Ice Beam, and dance on it. It's a realy nice Pokémon.

Stallbreaker Hydreigon is a cancer, that is so epic... i can block Mandibuzz and Zapdos to Defog, and this is a magical function, because i can force them to switch! Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor are the two STAB Moves that can cover the rest of the team. Taunt is a nice Stallbreak Move, and with Roost, it become more annoying.

Threatlist Ranks

S Rank
: SD = bg ez hahaha.
: Curse = bg ez hahaha².
: Annoying... I hate this thing, I really hate this.
: I can't give a setup to this shit and it sweeps me...
: The only secure switch to this in UU is Porygon2 and Blissey (Queen Only).

A Rank

: Only Forry can tank it.
: I can scout it with Seismitoad > Hydra > Mega Bee, but this is dangerous.
: Run Hydra, just run Hydra... Taunt it. Next, run Mega Bee, and play with it.
: No OHKO Attack, Pursuit on Mega Bee and Helio... The only way is run Forry and force my opponent to switch.
: Hard to beat if Mega Bee is gone.

B Rank and others:

: Toxicroak can setup on SD, but i can OHKO/2HKO it with Earth Power.
: Rain Teams are dangerous, but this is enough.
: Stall is anoying, but Hydreigon can Taunt all the Pokémon.

Replays

Highways UU vs. Sakulus

Highways UU vs. TheseAreMyAlts

Rubster14 vs. Highways UU

Highways UU vs. Kravin465

Memo92 vs. Highways UU

Highways UU vs. Capt. McWilly

Import

CloserToTheEdge (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Knock Off

City of Angels (Florges) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

This is War (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

The Kill (Beedrill) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Do or Die (Heliolisk) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Up in the Air (Hydreigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there Mr. Highways nice team you got here!
  • First off, with most of your S rank threats being setup sweepers, I feel like Whimsicott > Florges is an amazing replacement. While it does make you even more Nido weak, you now have a way around Snorlax, Feraligatr, and Lucario as Whimsicott can just Encore them into their setup moves, Sableye as Whimsicott is faster and has a high chance to OHKO it with Moonblast after Stealth Rock damage or Encore it into one of its non-threatening moves, which can force it out. Running Whimsicott does make you a bit weaker to status, but I truly feel that Whimsicott betters the team by taking on a lot of threats this team has troubles with.
  • Stallbreaker Hydreigon may appreciate the passive recovery of Leftovers, but I suggest running Life Orb > Leftovers as this gives Hydreigon a ton of power and makes your matchup against Psychic-types a bit easier as Dark Pulse becomes really powerful. While Leftovers gives recovery, Hydreigon already has access to Roost and it appreciates being able to boost its STAB moves more.
Other than that, the team looks really solid. You have ways to play around a lot of your threatlist (Drill Run on Mega Beedrill for the Nidos for example) and the team appreciates the momentum that Beedrill and Heliolisk give. Hope I helped! n_n

EDIT: Forgot to add the set
Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

Last edited:
Thank you NV !
Whimsicott: I'll test another thing: Whimsi > Hydra and Blissey > Florges
Blissey
will have the same function, cleric, but with certain easily, because it can give me more HP... Whimsicott learns Taunt, so i'll swap Taunt for U-Turn... They are some tests that i can try...

Up in the Air (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- Taunt

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heya, Mr. Highways! This is a nice balance team you've got going. I've got a few changes that could give you an easier time using this team.

Firstly, to address your above post, I would not add both Whimsicott and Blissey to this team. Also, Getting rid of Florges on this team would mean that your team would have no way to deal with Sableye. Whimsicott may be able to cover that roll, but doesn't do as much for your team as Florges. Florges offers Wish support and Aromatherapy, and the main set up sweepers you would want to add Whimsicott for are able to play around it (SD Lucario's Extreme Speed goes before Encore, and Whimsicott isn't enough for Snorlax). You'll want a more direct way in playing around such threats.

Anyways, on to the rate!

• Aside from having Knock Off, Seismitoad is outclassed by Swampert in every way for this team. Swampert has more overall bulk (makes a better Entei and Toxicroak check), more attack, and most importantly, access to a phazing move in Roar. With both Stealth Rock and Spikes on your team, having Roar will be really helpful in wearing down your opponents. Not only that, but you'll appreciate being able to force out annoying mons like Cresselia and +1 Feraligatr, which you mentioned really pester your team. With the very little Seismitoad has to offer for your team, I would recommend replacing it with defensive Swampert.

• Florges doesn't need to have max Special Defense. In fact, every standard Florges set runs heavy Physical Defense investment to better withstand physical hits. I would suggest changing your spread to one of 252 HP, 232 Def, and 24 SpD with a Calm Nature.

• As you stated in your threat list, SD Lucario and Curse Snorlax simply destroy your team. Your team also lacks a win condition, which is just unfortunate to say the least. Therefore, I would suggest replacing Hydreigon with SD Cobalion. This change gives you a well-needed win condition, and gives you really solid answers to SD Lucario and standard Curse Snorlax. You can revenge kill the former, and switch into + threaten the latter. With Aromatherapy from Florges, you can heal off any Paralysis you may get from switching in on a Body Slam as well. Note that you lose a solid switch-in to Chandelure in the process, so I would compensate for it by running Stone Edge. This would also help with some other threats, such as Zapdos, which also looks really troubling to your team, and also Feraligatr (Cobalion could tank a +1 Waterfall if Healthy and then hit it back).

• The team is still weak to the Nidos. I think a change that would probably be worth making is replacing Grass Knot with Surf on Heliolisk. Water-Ground types may become more annoying, but at least those aren't major threats and you could wear them down with hazards + chip damage. In exchange, you get an attack that guarantees a 1HKO on Nidoking after SR damage, and deals a good blow to Nidoqueen as well.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Options to consider:

- Shuca Berry > Leftovers on Cobalion may be able to help with Nidos and ground types in general. Nidoqueen is a common switch in to Cobalion, so if Cobalion is healthy, you could SD on the switch in, use Iron Head and live an Earth Power, and then kill it off. Of course, this comes at the cost of passive recovery though.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Cobalion: 250-294 (77.1 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Nidoqueen: 229-270 (62.5 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

- CM Florges > Wish/Protect could give you another great win condition. It's good to note that a healthy Calm CM Florges could use CM on the switch in to Nido, CM again on the Sludge Wave, and then go from there to eventually win against it. However, this comes at a bigger cost of not being able to wish up your team mates, so it's something to put a good amount of thought into and experiment with.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. +1 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 166-198 (46.1 - 55%) -- 7.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. +2 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 125-148 (34.7 - 41.1%) -- 48.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I hope you consider using my suggestions, and good luck with the team :)!

Last edited:

CobalionCouncil

cc aka the Dutch guy
Yo Mr. Highway,

Love the team man! It's looking great. I myself love seeing Seismitoad (one of my favorite mons) being used in UU. I also love the fact that you're using Volt Turn. But I do see a few things that I would personally change:

- Heliolisk is a cool mon. But I think Choice Specs > Life Orb would be a bit better. I think that a Volt Switch from this guy can actually break necks! Also, Thunderbolt really punishes Suicune now.

252 SpA Choice Specs Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 344-408 (85.3 - 101.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

- Hydreigon hits like a truck. Nobody really likes takes a Draco (except a Fairy of course) and having Taunt and Roost is really cool. However I do feel like Life Orb > Leftovers. With the added power, Hydreigon can really nuke teams. Also, Roost can be used to recover your HP a bit.

Do or Die (Heliolisk) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

Up in the Air (Hydreigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Taunt

I really do love your team, so the best of luck :]

Coba out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)