Art for Instagram!

Threw

cohiba
Smogon has a new official Instagram page! https://www.instagram.com/smogonuniversity/

This page, led by Zodiax and Recreant, will distinguish itself from Smogon’s various other social media by largely emphasizing you, the community’s phenomenal artists. All of our posts will come straight from Smeargle’s, and on top of that, we’d like to take the opportunity to help out individual artists with their own pages on DeviantArt, Tumblr, Instagram itself, or whatever other site you use to share your personal art.

Contributing to this budding page is extremely easy: all you have to do is post your art in this thread along with the username you would like us to credit when we post it and whatever social media that username belongs to.

This is important and bears bolding: unlike Facebook and Youtube, Instagram is not seeking brand new contributions. If you want to make a completely new piece of art purely for Instagram, please feel free to and we’ll be honored to use it, but by no means are you expected to produce something entirely new just for this page. The point of this thread is more to catalogue art and creators together, significantly easing the posting process on both ends; therefore, it’s perfectly acceptable to post a piece of art here that you used for another project such as a Flying Press article, a competition, or some tier-specific venture.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • While Instagram isn’t strictly 1:1 aspect ratios anymore, an at least roughly square picture is very much preferred to one with something like a 16:9 aspect ratio, as these tend to make the feed look messy. Vertically oriented art is great, though!
  • Variety is a big deal, both in art style and content, so we will most likely not be using art in the order it’s submitted. Please don’t be offended, then, if your art is skipped over – it’s not because we think it’s of lower quality, but because we want to diversify our posts, and we may very well come back to and use it later.
  • Writing a brief explanation of the context of your art (something like, “I made this for a Flying Press article about why Jynx is the best Groudon counter”) is helpful, since it’ll make captioning the post on Instagram much, much easier; however, don't overthink this part, as it's far from vital.
  • Based on how much feedback this gets, we might eventually cap contributions at one piece per week or so. That said, there aren't any strict guidelines at this point as to when anyone can post their art, so feel free to drop something in here whenever you feel inclined to do so.
One last important point: while you need not be an approved artist to post art in this thread and contribute to Instagram, the standards of talent that apply to Facebook apply here as well, so no turkey hands, please. On the other hand, don't be shy! There are really no drawbacks to posting your art in here, so if you know you're a good artist, you have nothing to worry about as far as quality goes. In short, if it's related to Pokemon, it's fit for this thread.

Here’s an example of what a post should look like:

I just randomly sketched this while thinking about how dope Specs Whimsi is.

DA: BestSmogonUser
Tumblr: BestestSmogonUser

Take this rare opportunity to help Smogon help you!

Last edited:

Threw

cohiba
For everyone's sake, I'll go ahead and post this here just to clear it up, since I know it's clear as mud in the OP - if this were to get astronomically more popular, I might have to put some more concrete guidelines in place; however, at this point, if you're dropping art in here something like twice a week, that's totally fine with me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)