ORAS OU Look the Chicken in the Eye [Mega Latias Semistalll]

So, this is my first RMT, and also one of my first Posts on the forums. The title might be a bit misleading, because the only Birdspamish aspect my team has, are 4 levitating/flying mons, but you will see. Well, i decided that Mega Latias was a Mon worth to build around, and i also decided to go for a semistallish route, simply because that is my favourite Playstyle and Mega Lati fits quite well on it.

/hourmute (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave/Reflect Type
- Roost

Mega Lati is the captain of the team, i decided to use defensive Boltbeam Mega Latias, with a standard spread and moveset. This Thing can take on a whole bunch of defensive and Offensive Threats, such as Rotom-W, Medicham, Keldeo, Manectric and in general just a whole lot of Mons that lack a STAB supereffective Attack. As always, Pursuiters, esp. TTar are a huge danger one has to play around, since this Latias Set does not really have a way to touch Ttar at all. Reflect Type is slashed, because it allows Lati to somewhat circumvent those Trappers, and also allows it to check mons like Excadrill way easier. I overall liked Thunder Wave more though, because i somewhat need the Speedcontrol on a bulky Build like mine.

Humanity (Talonflame)
Ability: Gale Wings
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Talonflame replaced Infernape after some testing, which was part of the inital Core. SpDef Talonflame backs up Latis Weakness to Fairies, especially the always threatening Clefable. I decided to use Stallbreaker Talon over Bulkup variants, because Taunt is pretty much needed to reliably beat clefable, even though a Twave on the switch can still ruin Tflames day, and because Will-o-Wisp is just a really nice asset, crippling stuff like Ttar on the Switch, so that Lati can actually straightup beat Support Variants, and can play 50-50's with Offensive Ones. Bulk Up is still an option over Willo, to make the Mega Sableye Matchup way easier and faster.

Modern Media (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Hippo was the third Member i chose, since it gives me an actual check for TTar, which was incredibly troublesome. I chose full defensive Investment, because i don't really need Hippo to check Manectric, since i already have Latias, and added a Clefable later on. I chose Toxic over Stone Edge, because it supports the semistallish/stallish Character of the Team way more, Hippo also is my rocker.

Kein Tanzverein (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Now, this might require some Description. First of all, Clef obviously is a very threatening and splashable Mon with little to no Opportunity Cost from using it. It gives me a defensive Wincon and a secondary Stallbreaker other than Tflame, and also beats Sableye, which means the lack of Bulkup on Talonflame isnt that important. This also gives me a Statusabsorber and a secondary check for keldeo other then Latias. I chose Thunder as my Filler, for 2 Reasons: One is Taunt Talonflame, which i am obviously a big fan of, and straightup beats Toxic Hippo. Thunder Clef is a nice Lure for that. Also, my Team was kinda weak to BD Azumarill, and i did not want Azu to get a free Setup.
0 SpA Clefable Thunder vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Talonflame Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 120-142 (32.9 - 39%)
0 SpA Clefable Thunderbolt vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 150-178 (41.2 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
This is the reason for my Choice of Thunder over Tbolt, if Azu tries to Setup on my Clef by scaring it out, Thunder into Acro has a decent chance to kill after rocks, while TBolt into Acro doesnt.

In the Eye (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 164 HP / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

As the fifth Member of my Team i chose AV Torn, since it checks Alakazam and most importantly Gengar, which was quite threatening to my Team. It also gives me some Speed, to deal with strong Balance-Breakers like Manaphy to some extent. Also the utility of Knock Off is nice, and Heat Wave was just the best choice as my fourth Move, because Ferro was somewhat annoying to deal with. I chose a really bulky Spread, because i just wanted it to be as bulky as it can be, while stile OHKO'ing Keldeo with Hurricane.

CC Denial (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind

Looking at the rest of my Team, i obviously needed a Defogger. I also needed a Check for Azumarill and to some extent Fairies in General, especially Diancie and Gardevoir aren't handled all to well by the other 5 Mons. If it wasnt for the need of a fairy check, another defogger would do Skarms Job much better, since defog Skarm is just mediocre by all means.

In general the Team has some nice Speed for a bulky Build, in Talonflame, Latias and Torn-T, which also allows it handle most Balancebreakers somewhat well. Obviously, Manaphy and Hoopa are still really annoying to face, and need to be played around. Kyurem is also a Threat, since i lack an ice resist, but Clefable can handle it. Overall, the team usually has 2 or more ways to check most of the common threats, which makes decision making very important. What i mean by that is, if my Opponent for example has a Kyurem-B and a Manectric, i am not going to use Clefable as my main Manectric Switchin, since that would put way too much pressure on it, to the point where Cube might be able to break my team. Instead the main Manectric check in that Matchup would be Latias, to relieve some pressure from Clef.

edit: After some final Testing i settled down on a final Version of the Team, the Changes suggested have really payed off for me.

Importable, in case anyone is interested:
/hourmute (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog

Humanity (Talonflame)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Roost
- Bulk Up

Kein Tanzverein (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 44 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave

Modern Media (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 212 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

CC Denial (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Toxic

Huge Shoutouts to the Raters who helped me improve my Team, i really appreciated it :)

Last edited:
Yeah i kinda forgot to mention that, Weavile really was a big Threat to the Team, esp. with the danger of Flinches, I'll definitely try your tweaked Spreads, they seem very reasonable to me. Thx for your Advice :)

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi :] Nice team here and nice Latias too. Mega Latias is one of the most underrated mega slots even if she's useful too. I've some random and stupid fix for you since your team is already effective :]

Azumarill is often used with 84 evs in speed that means 157 speed in order to outspeed Clefable and Sylveon. You've got Thunder that 2hkos Azumarill, so I think your Clefable needs at least 12 evs in speed. It will help you against Azumarill and also against Sylveon and other Clefables. Also, even if Thunder is good, I think Thunderbolt is kinda better or you'll have to Hope to not miss when it's important to hit. Nice idea anyway.

Tornadus-T is a Stealth Rock weak pokémon so you absolutely need to have odd HPs. This will give you another entry on Stealth Rocks! So run 168 evs in Hp :] Another thing is that half of your set is physical and since Tornadus-T will only have to tank stuff (mostly) I'm suggesting you to change your Timid nature into an Hasty Nature.

The most common Hippowdon in this metagame is Mixed Wall Hippowdon because it tanks hard physical stuff but also counters Manectric, Raikou etc etc. For you, a safe Switch In on these things that is not Pursuitable is not bad at all. This Hippowdon will also help you to keep high the momentum of the team, stopping Volturn Cores and setting Stealth Rocks on locked stuff. So, in the end, i'm gonna suggest you to change your Hippowdon spread and to run Stone Edge in order to Hit Pinsir and Talonflame that could be dangerous for your team.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 120 Def / 144 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Hope I helped :]

I am personally not to fond of Hasty AV Tornadus, simply because Knock off and U-Turn are mostly used for the utility anyways, and i don't want to take unnecessary damage from random Psyshocks on Alakazam. You are definitely right about the HP EV's tho. Running Speed on Clef might definitely be worth it, i will probably try that. As far as Hippo is concerned, i do agree that Mixed Hippo for the most Part is the best Set around, but i really don't need 112 SpDef, since i have 2 solid Electric Checks anyways, i will definitely try the spread False suggested tho. And yeah Stone Edge is one of the few Moves i kinda change all the time, since its better for Pinsir and Tflame, as you already said, while toxic isn't the best way to beat those.

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
This is a solid balanced build built around Bolt-Beam Latias. After analyzing the build, I can see you added a Hippowdon+Clefable defensive core to pair up with Latias. It covers threats such as Bisharp, Charizard X, and Sableye. Great decision of adding Tornadus-T to mitigate the Gengar and Alakazam weakness. However, I'm not too fond of the triple status. The reason is because in order win competitive games with balanced teams, spreading the best status on a Pokemon is essential. For example, since Bolt-Beam Mega Latias is a pretty common set, you bait in Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, Bisharp,Tyranitar, and Chansey. Wouldn't it be better to get a burn or poison on those Pokemon, instead of a paralysis? I think Latias would be the better Defogger for this team, simply because you said it yourself, Defog Skarmory is pretty mediocre on this team. Furthermore, with Talonflame and Tornadus Therian on your team, it's super important to get rid of Stealth Rocks on your side of the field as soon as possible. Defog Skarmory is just flat out vulnerable to fast Taunters such as Talonflame, Heatran, and Tornadus.

Next thing I'd do is to tweak Clefable's spread to 252 HP / 204 Def / 44 SpD / 8 Spe Calm Nature. With 204 Defense, you are never 2HKOed by Weavile's Icicle Crash. 8 Speed EVs lets you outspeed the standard Choice Band Azumarill set with 84 Speed EVs. On top of that, 44 SpD with a Calm Nature still allows you to survive 2 Life Orb Thunderbolts from Thundurus-I, 2 Moonblasts from Mega Diancie, and Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt.

252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 44+ SpD Clefable: 172-204 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 44+ SpD Clefable: 144-171 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 44+ SpD Clefable: 175-208 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I like Snow's ideas of giving Tornadus-T 168 HP EVs for an odd HP stat and giving Hippowdon Stone Edge>Toxic for Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.

Last suggestion will be Specially Defensive Jirachi>Skarmory(if you implement the Defog Mega Latias change) Jirachi is a nice fairy resist that isn't even 2HKOed by Mega Diancie's Earth Power. Furthermore, it can take anything Gardevoir wants to throw at it, has reliable recovery, and a great defensive pivot.

EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 44 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-Turn / Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Last edited:
Defog Mega Lati and Edge Hippo seem worth it to me, for now, i changed that, but i still kept Skarmory. Reason being, Rachi would make me way to weak to Stuff like Gyarados, and would also add to my weakness to Weavile. Hippo would also be my only real Check for Stuff like Landorus (alongside Lati), which i don't like either. But with Defog Lati, i obviously don't need Defog on Skarmory anymore, and Spikes are kinda pointless with defog. Thats why i decided to go for Toxic on Skarm, to hit bulky Waters, esp. Rotom-W and also Talonflame on the Switch. Toxic Skarm basically hits the same stuff toxic Hippo would hit, while Edge on Hippo gives me a safer way to deal with Pinsir.
So yeah the changes I implemented and will try out are:
Tweaked Latis Spread and added Defog > Twave
Bulk Up > Will-O on Talon
Tweaked Clefs Spread to the one BreloommyHomie suggested
Tweaked Hippos Spread and Edge > Toxic
Tweaked Torns Spread
Tweaked Skarms Spread and Toxic > Defog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)