Multi Gen Ubers Premier League IV - Replay Archive/Discussion

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
credit to me TrainerSplash for the art!

Welcome to the Replay Archive for the fourth rendition of the Ubers Premier League, the pinnacle of Ubers competition! Listed here for all of history are the records of the high-level matches we're sure to see, and these aforementioned matches provide a wonderful medium for players new and old alike to improve their battling through discussion and revision. The ultimate goal of this thread is to spark, hone and cultivate Ubers skills through intelligent debate about choices made, in both battle and teambuilding, by the two involved players. Given that UPL is the peak of Ubers tournaments, there's no doubt we'll have plenty of games to analyze, but before we get into that, a few ground rules must be laid down. This is a serious thread, and the posts within it should reflect that. In order to ensure the quality of discussion, please adhere to the three (3) (tres) (trois) (san) following, easy-to-understand rules:​

1. This is an analytical thread, not a shitposting thread
    The point of this is not to call out x for bringing y, or to practice your dank meme'ing skills. (That's what the PS! chat is for.) No, the point of this thread is, as I've paraphrased around four times now, to encourage debacle over choices made in matches. Because this thread will be a primary resource for players to get better at the tier, the rules will be strictly enforced by myself and the Ubers moderators. A large part of this thread's rather shaky history were too lax guidelines, so allow me to make this explicitly clear - there is a big red button that I'll elaborate on later, and I will not hesitate to push it should the need arise. We have a designated shittalking thread, so please by all means, use it to its fullest capacity. Take a few shots at me if you feel the need to, I can appreciate a good burn - just don't bring it to this thread.

2. This is a thread about the matches, not the tournament
    The sole focus of this thread is the replays, just the replays and nothing but the replays. For all other purposes, please refer to the aforementioned shittalking thread. Any posts not directly pertaining to the discussion of replays featured will be deleted, and make too many bad posts and you risk an infraction. For you John Oliver fans - don't be Janice in accounting. Nobody likes Janice in accounting.

3. THE BIG RED BUTTON
    This thread's history isn't the greatest. That's why, this year, I'm putting in an extra effort to uphold a quality representative of that of the games it features. However, should this thread spiral downwards too fast, Sweep and Fireburn will lock it before you can say "extremely effective moderating". This is your thread. Take care of it.
~~~

Alright, with all that stuff out of the way, please, by all means - let the discussion begin!​

Team Tags:
Glorious Genesects = GEN
Soul Dew Strongs = SDS
Grand Helix Fossils = HEL
really good reshirams = RGR
DaReal Drizzlers = DRZ
Defiant Durians = DUR

(INC) = Incomplete Match

ORAS Ubers

[RGR] Steve Angello vs Blim [GEN]
[RGR] Omfuga vs Arii~ [GEN]
[DRZ] old news vs Kingler12345 [DUR]
[DRZ] The Trap God vs Safes [DUR]
[SDS] Lord Outrage vs Pohjis [HEL]
[SDS] KratosMana vs ShadowQuinn [HEL]

XY Ubers

[RGR] Transcendent God Champion vs passion [GEN]
[DRZ] Hack vs Lacus Clyne [DUR]
[SDS] Thugly Duckling vs orch [HEL]

BW2 Ubers

[RGR] PROBLEMS vs March Fires [GEN]
[RGR] -Tsunami- vs soviet [GEN]
[DRZ] Evuelf vs atomicllamas [DUR]
[DRZ] Dominatio vs Kebabe [DUR]
[SDS] ZoroDark vs ogasian [HEL]
[SDS] TGMD vs ZoroarkForever [HEL]

DPP Ubers

[RGR] Alex Walls vs hyw [GEN]
[DRZ] Jirachee vs Tomahawk [DUR]
[SDS] boudouche vs 49 [HEL]

ADV Ubers

[RGR] innovamania vs Lutra [GEN]
[DRZ] Minority Suspect vs jrp [DUR]
[SDS] SoulWind vs Peli [HEL]

GSC Ubers

[RGR] Isa vs Bomber.[GEN]
[DRZ] BKC vs idiotfrommars [DUR]
[SDS] Conflict vs FLCL [HEL]

ORAS Ubers

XY Ubers

BW2 Ubers

DPP Ubers

ADV Ubers

GSC Ubers

Last edited by a moderator:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
Ehhhh.... sorry Haruno, this is a lot more convenient for me, so I'll keep it like this unless by some magical intervention, IRL allows me the breathing room to change it, or there's overwhelming support for it.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
Alright, all replays for week 1 have been implemented, as have the starting rosters for Week 2.

Anyone want to get the ball rolling? I for one found PTR vs SoulWind extremely entertaining, and was surprised at just how thoroughly PTR read SoulWind, especially considering PTR has been (ab)using that team since last UPL.

Week 2: Evuelf v. TGMD

This is a pretty interesting match imo. Evuelf brings hyper offense with an interesting twist- Arceus-Grass is definitely a rare sight on hyper offensive teams. It works well here though- it patches up a lot of weaknesses. It gives Evuelf another Groudon check (Rp don is, after all, pretty threatening to most offensive teams) and a solid Ogre / Palkia switchin. TGMD brings a pretty standard hyper offensive team- the only semi-uncommon mon is Rocky Helmet Deo-s. Turn 1 is pretty important, as evuelf manages to deny hazards, which is actually pretty huge. I think the Deo-A for Deo-S trade definitely favored evuelf, as he still can set up sr with dialga. Not being punished by hazards is really nice. On turn 3 TGMD reveals Fightceus, which actually has a great matchup versus Evuelf's team. It checks the majority of Evuelf's team and also can help with the potential Ekiller. TGMD paras the ogre, which is nice but not huge. I think judgment was the better play there, as tgmd has no hazards to weaken ogre's water spout, so any chip damage is nice. Turn 4, for me, is a really strange play. TGMD elects to stay in on Ogre and weaken it with judgment. Evuelf makes the safe play and does a HUGE chunk with surf. I honestly dont know why TGMD stayed in- evuelf could ice beam or water spout but fightceus was a huge threat, and with it pretty much dead evuelf's genesect is free to clean up the rest of TGMD's team.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
Week 2 has been fully updated, and the midseason section has been removed. Friendly reminder to please tag me in your victory/defeat posts along with the replay of the game, makes my job a bit easier ;]

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
Week 4's fully updated for all currently completed matches. I've been a bit late updating the thread these last two weeks, sorry - IRL is starting to get a bit busy, so I'll generally only be able to update around weekends now, but don't worry, I'm not doing a Steelskitty on you.

On that note - this replay thread has lasted longer than both of its previous renditions, hurray :] It'd be nice if someone started actually commenting on the replays, though. n-n

Blim versus Evuelf.

I think this match is really interesting because it highlights how integral the hazards game is to the BW2 metagame - often matches are won by winning the hazard war, an aspect of the game which has since faded away with the advent of XY/ORAS and the introduction of defog. As seen in this game, Evuelf lacks any method of hazard removal, while Blim has a Forretress / Tyranitar hazard removal core, the latter of the core serving to remove ghost type pokemon for the former to spin more effectively. Thus, the crux of the match lay in Evuelf's ability to stop Blim's hazard removal and Blim's ability to remove the hazards on his side of the field (the only way in which that Evuelf could really threaten and damage Blim's team, seeing as Blim's defense core walled Evuelf's). What ultimately won the game, was the fact that CB Tyranitar was in fact, a more defensive set, lacking a lot of attack investment (actually my bad b/c i gave the set to blim expecting evuelf to utilise sub gira-o/ghosty/lati); in conjunction with hazard damage and a good combination of sleep talk rolls, this meant that Tyranitar was unable to fulfill its role, allowing Evuelf to keep hazards up and phase Blim's team into oblivion, as Blim lacked another method to threaten Gira-O effectively.

Either way, i think this match really goes to show how dangerous spike-stack was in BW2, and the absolutely massive role it played in the BW2 meta (i.e. the best one).

Last edited:
Blim's Giratina was specially defensive for specs Kyogre, while Evuelf had a rest talk gira-o with heavy speed investment - was never gonna work unless blim liked to die to specs ogre. :P

I think that was showed in me versus ZoroDark tho, where he had just slightly more speed in his Kyogre than my Giratina (despite the fact that i love speed and had a tonne already lol)

Last edited:
Blim's Giratina was specially defensive for specs Kyogre, while Euvelf had a rest talk gira-o with heavy speed investment - was never gonna work unless blim liked to die to specs ogre. :P

I think that was showed in me versus ZoroDark tho, where he had just slightly more speed in his Kyogre than my Giratina (despite the fact that i love speed and had a tonne already lol)
tl;dr when spike-stacking and using a defensive team, make sure to have a REALLY fast phazer!

Last edited:
I guess I will make your life easier Krauersaut when you come back to update the thread. I will at least commentate one of my games after I have ended my run in weekend tour playoffs. Sorry for the messy post.

Week 5 remaining games:

ORAS: [DRZ] The Trap God vs Safes [DUR] -> INC
ORAS: [SDS] Lord Outrage vs Pohjis [HEL] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-337328362
XY: [RGR] Transcendent God Champion vs passion [GEN] -> INC
XY: [SDS] Mysterious M vs Orch [HEL] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-337414889
DPP: [RGR] Alex Walls vs hyw [GEN] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ubers-135544
DPP: [DRZ] Jirachee vs Tomahawk [DUR] -> INC
DPP: [SDS] boudouche vs 49 [HEL] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ubers-134884
ADV: [RGR] innovamania vs Lutra [GEN] -> INC
GSC: [DRZ] BKC vs idiotfrommars [DUR] -> INC
GSC: [SDS] Conflict vs FLCL [HEL] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ubers-135592

Playoffs:

ORAS: [DRZ] Dominatio vs Steve Angello [RGR] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-340720930
ORAS: [DRZ] The Trap God vs Omfuga [RGR] -> log because replays were down
XY: [DRZ] Hack vs PROBLEMS [RGR] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-138032
BW2: [DRZ] Evuelf vs -Tsunami- [RGR] -> log because replays were down
BW2: [DRZ] WreckDra vs polop [RGR] -> log because replays were down or find it here
DPP: [DRZ] Jirachee vs Alex Walls [RGR] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ubers-137464
ADV: [DRZ] Minority Suspect vs Transcendent God Champion [RGR] -> log because replays were down
GSC: [DRZ] BKC vs Isa [RGR] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ubers-138387

Tiebreaker:

ORAS: [DRZ] Hack vs Omfuga [RGR] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-140015
BW2: [DRZ] Evuelf vs Problems [RGR] -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ubers-140023
GSC: [DRZ] BKC vs Isa [RGR] -> INC -> replacement game between Isa and Fireburn

It has been almost a month and during that time Krauersaut has stopped playing this game. But I still felt commentating this one specific game before this thread will be locked. In this match I felt I played really well and probably was my best performance this UPL. This match I am talking about is my week two game against the one and only, Blim.

About teambuilding process: Blim used a more bulkier team with Porygon-2 in his week one match against Kingler12345. From the games I saw him playing he was nearly always using more bulkier stuff that included a support Arceus form, a physically defensive Lugia, an Yveltal and a mega-Gengar with perish song that deals with opposing stall. The team I ended up using was made with Gunner Rohan and with the help of Magermilchpuur. I wanted to to use dual fairy mega-Diancie and Xerneas core to beat any possible mega-Sableye stall or Yveltal bulky offense or balance team. Me and my teambuilding crew chose to use rocks Diancie to pressure defoggers and block Xerneas to punish any Klefki team. Primal-Groudon was added to the team to check mainly geomancy Xerneas and with the paradance set it did well versus bulkier teams and with thunder wave it slowed down Xerneas. The team was weak to offense or hyper offense so Ekiller-Arceus was added to the team. Gunner Rohan chose to add a defensive Yveltal to check big physical threats like opposing Ekiller, Primal-Groudon, Ground-Arceus and mega-Salamence. I don't remember how the last team member was chosen but the team lacked speed control and this 'mon also had a really good match up versus hyper offense. Deoxys-Attack was chosen to be the sixth member of the team.

The team was made to deal with stall that also had a decent match up versus hyper offense or bulky offense. Ho-oh balance, team he used week one, might have been problematic but I doubt it.

About the hyped match: This match was played during my military service but I was really lucky to play this during the time the doctor sent me home for a week to rest. We played on Friday and at the time I remember us, my team Grand Helix Fossils, being down 1-0. We were both 1-0 after week one and this was one of the ORAS ubers matches that was hyped in the community. I was really happy to play Blim in one of the biggest stages of ubers and a player who has done so well in the past in ubers tournaments and is a popular member in the community. He was the fan favourite but I didn't accept to lose without a good fight. And this game was good in my opinion.

In the actual game he brought exactly what I and my teambuilding crew thought he would bring: stall. It was pretty obvious that he would lead with Sableye so I got a free mega with my Diancie. Turn two it was also obvious that he wouldn't sack his main, my possible Arceus-Ekiller check so it was free rocks. I am not sure why he toxiced turn three but it clearly worked for me. Turn five I was sure that he would save his Chansey and not let it die to toxic so I Earth Powered just in case he went to his Primal-Groudon. He showed Arceus-Ground to be his hazard control and turn six was probably the biggest decider of the game. I made a really aggresive play and stayed in to Moonblast his Groundceus. It was a two-hit-KO from that range and he decided to defog instead of killing me. He had to switch out to his fairy resist. I wasn't real enough to rocks or Earth Powered on the switch but you don't need to make the flashy and unnecessary plays to win.

I had to switch out to my defensive Yveltal on turn eight. From the team preview you would think it is an offensive Yveltal so he switched his dark check in. Luckily I was the infamous U-Turn Yveltal to gain momentum so that was a free Diancie for me since I was certain that Tyranitar was his rocker. That was either free rocks or damage but I chose rocks to pressure his team. I went back to Yveltal on the Stone Edge but that didn't do much at all since I had the charti berry. I could freely Foul Played which I did and then the next turn I could U-Turn whatever he would bring in. I was keeping my rocks regardless of his switch-in. He went to Sableye so I went to Diancie on the Sableye. I Earth Powered turn 14 to catch his Primal-Groudon but he went to Lugia, I think for sack fodder since Diamond Storm and Moonblasted killed for sure after rocks. Luckily for him it worked for him and he could have stalled me out from my Diamond Storms. He chose to switch to Prima-Groudon turn 16 but from 66% he died to Moonblast followed up with Earth Power. First kill of the game turn 17.

He brought in Chansey after that to stall my Diamond Storm PP's. After one turn I switched out to Primal-Groudon to Swords Dance and get my kill. He made a nice play toxicing my best 'mon in the metagame since he was full with Chansey. He hoped that I would Precipice Blades turn 21 but I wasn't that life and I Rock Slided his Lugia for the second kill of the game. The next turn he brought in Arceus-Ground to revenge kill me. Yveltal was a free switch-in but I wanted to be safe and attack with Primal-Groudon just in case he tried to be sneaky and predict my Yveltal switch to recover with his Primal-Groudon check. I brought in my Deoxys-Attack that had no switch-ins and he decided to bring in his Tyranitar turn 23 on the Ice Beam. I think he could have pivoted to Sableye on the fighting type move but he was probably scared that I would predict that and Ice Beam and get rid of his main Arceus check. Turn 25 he made a really solid play recovering on the obvious Diancie switch-in but from here the game was heavily in my favour and in the end of the day Block Xerneas would have won the game. He ended up forfeiting turn 32 to not waste our time on the obvious outcome.

Blim said after the game that match-up was 50-50 and I agree with him. I made some risky plays that happened to work. The match was overall pretty good in my opinion and I enjoyed playing it. We played later in Ubers Winter Seasonal round seven but those games don't belong in this thread. I am sad that you, Blim, left the game again since we were getting to know each other. I hope to see you again someday and I am not the only one who misses you.

---

This match was the game I enjoyed the most. Week one I used the sample hyper offense and during game three I was really sick and I don't remember much from that game. Week four was a disaster for me (and to my team) and analysing the game few months later I can say that I played really poorly and I could have avoided the outcome of the game. My opponent deserved to win that week even though going 5-0 would have been really nice. I ended up going 4-1 after beating Lord Outrage in a good match even though I got a lot of hate after that match.

Nothing more I have to say. Also thank you to Level 56 helping with the team and especially with the EV's and IV's. I won't give the last version of the team but here is the team I used with simple moves and stats.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)