Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay yeah. Probably not a sequel and just more of a complete X&Y game.
The specific "20th anniversary game" thing, at least for me, signals that this is going to be a special game. I'm thinking Yellow version special. I mean more fan service than this generation has already been special.

The specific "20th anniversary game" thing, at least for me, signals that this is going to be a special game. I'm thinking Yellow version special. I mean more fan service than this generation has already been special.
I think this is a slight possibility as well. Kind of a mess on Gamefreak's part - what was the point of the power plant in X&Y? Zygarde's story? Volcanion? If it is Z, why call it the 20th anniversary game when a RBY remake would be more sensible for such a title?

And release a game when most of the mythical events will be over…

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Black and White 2 actually had really solid sales in terms of DS games. They sold about 7.97 million units in total, despite being sold towards the end of the DS's life cycle. They have around the same sales numbers as Pokemon Platinum, which sold 7.69 million: it only sold slightly better than Platinum did. Despite this, it sold much less than BW1 and especially Diamond and Pearl, which sold 15.58 million (Black and White) and 18.23 million (Diamond and Pearl). It also sold less units than HeartGold and SoulSilver, which sold about 12.72 million units. XY and ORAS individually both have sold more units than BW2 have. BW2's sales were good, but they weren't much better in sales than director's cut games like Emerald/Platinum.

Pokemon Z would be a nice swansong for the 3DS considering the handheld has almost run its course, it would be good I guess. I'll remain silent on it until Nintendo says any official stuff about Pokemon Z soon enough in March/April/May. I'm expecting more of a third version here considering we have two paired versions and remakes, and the information about Zygarde that strongly points to a solitary Pokemon Z version. To be quite honest, I'm actually expecting a Pokemon Z this year considering that this is two years after ORAS was released, and every generation from 3 onwards has about a one year's gap between at least one pair of games (there was a year's gap between RS and FRLG, one between DP and Platinum, one between BW and BW2), so I'm thinking Z will come out as a grand finale to this gen. I'm sure this gen in general is playing huge honors to the Pokemon franchise as a whole, considering X and Y honor Kanto greatly and such. Oh and we're seeing Volcanion in a movie this year so...

On another note, I also do not trust the sentiments about a new console (NX) coming this year, let alone seeing a Zelda launch title on it. We've already heard about an upcoming Zelda game for some time now for the Wii U, and according to some reports its trailers say it's only on Wii U. Furthermore, if we were to see the NX this year or so, I'm sure Nintendo would be actively talking about it by now. They've chosen to remain silent about it, and they refuse to say anything regarding the mass rumors going on about it. They've only said that it's in development, and Nintendo has always started developing their consoles about two or three years after they release a console (the Wii started being conceived immediately after the GameCube hit the shelves). Plus I'm sure it still needs some time to get the software developed for it, because if Nintendo doesn't want to fall into the same pitfall that they did with the 3DS and Wii U, their launch lineup of games needs to be rock solid.

Plus even if they claim it's a Nintendo employee, we can't even trust that. We don't know if that employee in question was being honest or not, as he could have been lying either due to not really knowing what the higher-ups are up to, or purposely concealing the truth in lies in case they were asked about it due to the information regarding NX development possibly being considered confidential information. This is honestly possible considering that Nintendo has chosen to remain silent about the NX, and it's highly likely that at least some details regarding the console in question are confidential info.

Bottom line is, until Nintendo says anything, I think we should take all the sources at hand with a grain of salt regarding Pokemon Z or anything Nintendo has in mind for the future. I really will remain skeptical about all of this until Nintendo makes any official announcements regarding the details. Nothing is impossible, but I don't think anything is trustworthy until Nintendo makes any big announcements either at E3 (unlikely) or a Nintendo Direct.

If it is Z, why call it the 20th anniversary game when a RBY remake would be more sensible for such a title?
You can call Z or anything in the main series that releases this year the 20th anniversary game, because it is released on the year of the anniversary. That's all it has to mean, deducing anything else is just (admittedly understandable) wishful thinking.

You could put it forward separately and say "game freak should have produced an RBY remake instead of an XY sequel, because of the anniversary" but that's a whole other topic and one that you'd have to really argue for. (IMO releasing RBY on virtual console the same year makes it a bad idea.)

Nobody seems to remember that ZyGod has a rainbow tucked away in his chest/mouth/cavity. Hie has a rainbow chavimouth. There are already connections to be made.

Assuming Pokemon Niji is real.
That makes me think. Rainbow could be a legitimate title. Norse mythology has been present in XY with the legends and whatnot, and I remember there being a few things about rainbows in said myths(Rainbow Bridge anyone?).

If "Rainbow" was actually going to be the title of the game, it would have been spelled as "レインボー", rather than 虹, or "Niji". The fact that the game is refered to as Niji, and not Rainbow in katakana, is somewhat indicitive that Rainbow will not be the end title, because 虹 describes an actual rainbow, and Japanese is structured so that a game named Rainbow would spelled the title out in katakana, rather than hiragana or kanji, as it has been for past games.

The game could still relate to rainbows, even if it is a codename. This might be borderline wishlisting/speculation but has anyone thought the possibility that Zygarde has access to another world (Like Giratina maybe?) via a rainbow bridge, adding a larger depth to the Norse inspiration for the legendaries of Gen 6. ZyGod does have a rainbow on it, which could be a connection to something that will happen in Z/X2Y2's plot.
I still think there's a possibility we could have two sequels like B2W2.

For those unfamiliar with the rainbow bridge, here is a Wikipeida article on it.

Codenames usually do mean something which is why they're used. Sonic 4's "Mr. Needlemouse" was a reference to one of the names for the titular character when still in the prototype stages; alluding to the fact they were going back to their roots. Doctor Who (2005)'s original codename "Torchwood" was... uh... an anagram. And then later they made a plot out of it.

Codenames usually do mean something which is why they're used. Sonic 4's "Mr. Needlemouse" was a reference to one of the names for the titular character when still in the prototype stages; alluding to the fact they were going back to their roots. Doctor Who (2005)'s original codename "Torchwood" was... uh... an anagram. And then later they made a plot out of it.
Don't forget the TV show.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is a Pokemon Direct this Friday. Let's hope it's the announcement of Z/Rainbow/Whatever.

7 am for America: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/702463086330949632
4 pm for Europe: https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/702462995595706368
Excellent news :D

BTW if for any reason The Pokemon Direct doesn't have info on what Pokemon Rainbow is... I will stoop to my lowest avatar change possible... A ROBOPON AVATAR! Yeah, can't get more low quality Pokemon clone than that!

There is a Pokemon Direct this Friday. Let's hope it's the announcement of Z/Rainbow/Whatever.

This may seem weird as Saturday the 27th is the 20th annivesary. But this this is easily explained by the fact that at this specific time the 20th anniversary starts in Japan.

Edit: It will only last for 5 minutes. Seems a bit short to me.
Personally, I think "rainbow" will be a Gen1 remake of RBY+G, hence the name: A 3DS port of the first gen with pretty much everything in it from those games.
(Is this the right place to post this?)

I am pretty sure they're gonna make a Sinnoh remake in gen 7 but as for now I have a good feeling this new game is gonna have both regions Kanto and Kalos.

I wouldn't be TOO concerned about the length. (*said, uhh, someone else's mom about another user*) 10 minutes would mean several things, or in-depth coverage (which never really happens with Pokemon). The XY Trailers were less than 5 minutes, and our ORAS announcement was literally a white screen with the box arts on it. Not to say the direct can't be super disappointing, like every other highly anticipated Pokemon news in the last N months, but the length specifically isn't something to worry about.

EDIT: instead, why not worry about all the pointless wishlisting you're gonna see all over the internet in the next three days :|

I wouldn't be TOO concerned about the length. (*said, uhh, someone else's mom about another user*) 10 minutes would mean several things, or in-depth coverage (which never really happens with Pokemon). The XY Trailers were less than 5 minutes, and our ORAS announcement was literally a white screen with the box arts on it. Not to say the direct can't be super disappointing, like every other highly anticipated Pokemon news in the last N months, but the length specifically isn't something to worry about.

EDIT: instead, why not worry about all the pointless wishlisting you're gonna see all over the internet in the next three days :|
The "seems short" comment was more pointed towards more time = more details. There must be some big announcement otherwise the Direct would be pointless. I just hope it won't be presented in the same way as the ORAS announcement was and more like X, as that trailer actually got me really hyped for the game. Getting my hopes up isn't really a good thing to do, especially looking back at the past few months, but hopefully we will not be dissapointed.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

This may seem weird as Saturday the 27th is the 20th annivesary. But this this is easily explained by the fact that at this specific time the 20th anniversary starts in Japan.

5 Minutes is barely enough time to play a trailer and say Happy Birthday... (Also I finish work at 4 on a Friday so this is going to suck).

I swear if all they do is a really basic trailer like they did for ORAS and then let the Internet go into meltdown I won't be best pleased...

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Excellent news :D

BTW if for any reason The Pokemon Direct doesn't have info on what Pokemon Rainbow is... I will stoop to my lowest avatar change possible... A ROBOPON AVATAR! Yeah, can't get more low quality Pokemon clone than that!
Especially when Robopons manga was so f*cked up lol.

5 Minutes is barely enough time to play a trailer and say Happy Birthday... (Also I finish work at 4 on a Friday so this is going to suck).

I swear if all they do is a really basic trailer like they did for ORAS and then let the Internet go into meltdown I won't be best pleased...
I will be in the middle of a lecture at university, so timewise it is not the best possibility for me either.

I will be in a middle of a pointless group meeting then, but I do have some high hopes for this. It's not going to be Pokemon GO (they already have a conference thingy planned for that in March if I recall correctly). I feel it might be the next main series game. And here are my reasons why:

1.) Singular International Reveal - Both X&Y and ORAS were revealed at the same time around the world. All other things we were hyping were either Japan only (Coro-Coro) or non-Pokemon specific (other Nintendo Directs)

2.) We haven't had a Pokemon Direct in a while - I feel that these are being saved for the main series games

3.) A quick teaser is all we really need or so so 5 minutes is probably enough.

So, yeah, let's get aboard the hype train

1.) Singular International Reveal - Both X&Y and ORAS were revealed at the same time around the world. All other things we were hyping were either Japan only (Coro-Coro) or non-Pokemon specific (other Nintendo Directs)
So, yeah, let's get aboard the hype train
Ohoho I hadn't spotted that! Now that is interesting. Gonna raise my hypometer to a solid 6.5.

EDIT: I just noticed how some people actually go to the trouble of spelling Pokemon with the accent, up to and including on the thread title. Unrelated, but kudos :V Even if I could remember the shortcut, I probably wouldn't make the effort.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, this is interesting. And if I remember correctly, a short Direct like this was also how XY and ORAS were released back in their days. As I've said several times in this thread already, Platinum was the last core series Pokémon game to be revealed in CoroCoro, and Pokémon has gone way more international since then. It makes sense that a new game would be revealed worldwide, and also that the reveal would be advertised worldwide in advance. This certainly fits the pattern.

As for what we could get in terms of game footage... I'm willing to guess "Z confirmed" and basically nothing more. A logo. In-game footage of the new Zygarde formes. Maybe a shot of some new location. Cut to boxart, cut to release date, end video.

Thing is... for third versions, there usually isn't that much new to show. A few Pokémon formes, a few new locations, usually a couple new characters... but all in all there is very little of substance, so the stuff revealed beforehand has to be carefully dosed out. Unless they want to reveal everything ahead of time, they have to reveal stuff rarely, and little at a time. At this stage, confirming that there is a game is basically all they can do. Then in a month or two, they drop a couple new Megas, or new character artwork, or pictures of new or changed locations. All in all, we won't know much about the game until, say, a month before release. Meanwhile, Internet buzz and speculation will do the job of a marketing campaign, without them having to release anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)