Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is set in the Mega timeline or in the good one?
Anyways...how could you forget the Starly line? I mean its not as great as Talonflame but its no pre-Mega Pidgeot, Unfezant, Noctowl, or Swellow.
Staraptor was a better in-game than Talonflame.Talonflame needs HA,Staraptor doesn't.
Maybe a good defensive 1st route bird pokemon for once?
Unless this guy gets a pre evo you will get only 2

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That red-and-black thing which looks vaguely like a face?

No, that's a house. Black wall (or a wall in the shade), red slanted roof, yellow light streaming through the windows. The white stuff at the bottom could be sand or snow.

And right now I'm completely baffled that there apparently is no Pokémon Z. It makes no sense to me. The next games are due December, it seems, which would have left plenty of time for Z to have been released in Oct/Nov 2015. Heck, BW2 was released a little over a year after BW, in October 2012, and XY was revealed in January 2013. That was three months between the release of a game and the announcement of the next, and I remember being slightly abuzz about a new generation so shortly after the previous games. We were all expecting Gen V RSE remakes to be announced when they gave us XY instead.

This time, though... just, what?!? X and Y serve as an excellent foundation for a hypothetical Z game. Z would literally be XY copied over, with a few new locations added, a few new Megas and Formes of some legendary Pokémon (which, mind you, were already revealed), and a few other new bells and whistles. The game was right there, almost finished already due to the existence of XY. XY also left plenty of mysteries, underused locations and story tidbits for Z to expand on. Making Z would have been so easy (comparatively speaking), and there was plenty of time to release it after ORAS but before SM. Why on Earth would they NOT make Z? The new Anime series is named XY&Z, goshdarnit! They even called Movie 19 "Pokémon the Movie XY&Z" for a while.

I used to have theories about Z being delayed, but now it seems it was scrapped entirely. As to why, I have no idea any more. I thought Z was delayed to shorten the post-Z waiting time for Gen VII, which would be on a new console (and the delaying of the NX was what pushed Gen VII back). The alternate hypothesis was that Game Freak would try to squeeze in another generation for the 3DS, chopping Z out of the schedule so the games wouldn't be released too close to another (since then they would compete for attention and drag each others' sales numbers down), but it seems it will be more than two full years between ORAS and SM - plenty of time for Z in between.

Try as I might, I simply can't make sense of the absence of Z. It was as if it was planned to be released (the name of the Anime series, the Zygarde formes, AZ' Floette as an event 'mon, the loose ends in XY), then scrapped at the last minute. There was plenty of time to make it (they got ORAS out in a year after XY, and that required a whole region to be built from scratch). There was plenty of time to release it. The fans were expecting it. Kids would have bought it because Pokémon.

The only fact I can see changing this, in hindsight, is that Game Freak evidently has two teams of developers, one making new games (DP, BW, XY) and the other making follow-ups (Platinum, BW2). Team 1 could have made XY, then went on to work on SM, while team 2 started with ORAS after BW2 was done. This means no people to make Z. However, the studio evidently managed to have three game releases in a generation in Gen III and IV, so that doesn't change much either.

No... just no. No Z makes no sense.
To me, this heavily implies that Sun and Moon is a Gen 2 style game with a return to Kalos. There is still a lot of story to be told regarding Zygarde, and it doesn't make sense that Pokemon would just drop that. They're hyping this game with phrases like "It all comes together" so I highly doubt they would do absolutely nothing to wrap up that story. I saw people comparing Zygarde to ultimate dragon, but there's a fundamental difference: the ultimate dragon was just lore. We actually have the Zygarde forms, it has moves in the games, its something way more concrete and fleshed out. I can't see them abandoning that story when they're clearly investing in it. The only other way I can see them wrapping up that story is with a short XY event which is guess possible...

For those not familiar with the theory, there is some evidence that SuMo will relate to Kalos:
  • XY were the first games of this new mega universe, and in them you get the Kanto starters. This relates them to Kanto
  • There's a sundial in XY and someone says something about a lunardial in another region
  • Kalos has unfinished business
  • Other points but I can't find where I read it

The crystals Yveltal pointed out look like revives, honestly. Same shape and, for Sun, color.
Oh gods. That means the new mechanic will be we can fully revive one Pokémon per battle.

Either that, or it allows Pokémon to evolve beyond Stage 2.

Just kidding?

I have a couple quick thoughts.

-I hope this new generation continues and wraps up Zygarde's story. It would be a nifty way to add to the world building. Connecting the Pokémon world beyond generations is always a good thing.

-This is just SUPER far off speculation, but if these new games get a sequel/followup, they'd be on the future NX. which would be another first for the series. Continuing a generation on a new system. Opens up tons of possibilities.

I mean i know the US site says it is a "new era" of Pokemon but i opened the page in Italian and the first thing i read is:

for who doesn't know generazione is generation in italian so yeah might be an error or something since all the other languages i know use "era" (which is a perfectly legitimate italian term lol) but yeah i dont think there is any reason to think these games will be still of the sixth gen.

Ace emerald's scenario is what i really expect since this will be probably be based on England (there is also the Greenwich observatory there which might be related to the Moon and Sun or whatever). Pretty excited

Just read the news on Serebii while researching a moveset for a competitively viable Pokémon I received on Wonder Trade. The news creates mixed feelings for me, because I would have liked to travel through Kalos one more time (with the new Zygarde forms of course), so I'm very disappointed, and yet I'm also excited that we're definitely receiving new Pokémon, and likely a new region to explore, but this likely means that there will be no Battle Frontier (and I'm afraid they might not even make the new Zygarde forms playable).
I'd like to stay around, chat and read, but wouldn't you know it, I've come down with a cold, and feel dizzy and weak as a result! I'll just have to play catch up when I feel better (and more importantly, am not contagious! The only reason I'm here is because my parents have gone to the market!).

My guess is that this is also why they've been so silent for the past half year!

P.S. Reminder to self: when you get better, I have posts to catch up on as far as Monday.

I mean i know the US site says it is a "new era" of Pokemon but i opened the page in Italian and the first thing i read is:

for who doesn't know generazione is generation in italian so yeah might be an error or something since all the other languages i know use "era" (which is a perfectly legitimate italian term lol) but yeah i dont think there is any reason to think these games will be still of the sixth gen.

Ace emerald's scenario is what i really expect since this will be probably be based on England (there is also the Greenwich observatory there which might be related to the Moon and Sun or whatever). Pretty excited
Well, "nuova" means "new", so...

Plus, it's beyond obvious it's a new generation.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
To me, this heavily implies that Sun and Moon is a Gen 2 style game with a return to Kalos. There is still a lot of story to be told regarding Zygarde, and it doesn't make sense that Pokemon would just drop that. They're hyping this game with phrases like "It all comes together" so I highly doubt they would do absolutely nothing to wrap up that story. I saw people comparing Zygarde to ultimate dragon, but there's a fundamental difference: the ultimate dragon was just lore. We actually have the Zygarde forms, it has moves in the games, its something way more concrete and fleshed out. I can't see them abandoning that story when they're clearly investing in it. The only other way I can see them wrapping up that story is with a short XY event which is guess possible...

For those not familiar with the theory, there is some evidence that SuMo will relate to Kalos:
  • XY were the first games of this new mega universe, and in them you get the Kanto starters. This relates them to Kanto
  • There's a sundial in XY and someone says something about a lunardial in another region
This is my guess as well. It's a new gen, with a new region and new pokemon and everything, but it's right next door to kalos and you go there later in the game (like with johto) to deal with the zygarde stuff.

It's already been confirmed to be Gen 7

Adding to this, remember what the great addition to the game was when Gold & Silver debuted? Night & day! Lugia and Ho-Oh were both represented primarily in the night and day.

Plus, a "continuation-new generation" is what Johto was to Kanto. A lot of Johto Pokemon were originally designed along the original 151.

The story wasn't meaty, like Kanto's.

AND, you have a train & power plant in Kalos.

I really want to know what the engine is like. It feels wrong to assume that it is to XY as Bw was to HGSS, but who knows. Maybe it's the exact same but with new assets (and hopefully a better colour palette on the Pokémon models).

I know region talk is basically wishlisting, but I'm cool with pretty much anything (though obviously a Kalos revisit is preferred). Personally, a UK + surroundings themed region means a shot at having my country be pokemonified, which I obviously approve of, but if it's just GB or England ((or anywhere else really)) then it's still a net positive for me since I won't have to spit teeth over people using the term ""British Isles"" during discussion. Lots of positives either way IMO.

It is a little bit of a concern that the few SM things we saw in the video were clearly only taken shortly after the conceptual stage. I hope it was filmed ages ago, because the idea that they only started two or so months ago scares the shit outta me.

It is a little bit of a concern that the few SM things we saw in the video were clearly only taken shortly after the conceptual stage. I hope it was filmed ages ago, because the idea that they only started two or so months ago scares the shit outta me.
I would imagine they were, because building a new generation is the kind of thing that would likely partially explain the waiting time, and then they held off until today to get maximum bang for the buck. By the way, it's still the 26th here in the West, so I was kinda surprised it was today.

Anyway, let's talk consoles. Mid-generation console-hopping is bad business, so: do they feel the 3DS has the lifespan to fit two entire generations (remember, we need a third version/sequels/remakes), or has the NX been delayed for some reason?

Also, there's the suggestion that this region will pull a Johto and give us access to Kalos following the completion of the new region. That would be very cool, provided they don't botch the level curve like they did in the Johto games.

I believe this new region will introduce only a few new pokemon like Kalos did. I'm guessing somewhere between 50 and 70.
In addition, it will likely contain Kalos in the game much like Gold and Silver included Kanto. I think we all forgot about the hint drops in X and Y about another region, like the berries in the guide and the hiker. Let's not forget data mining showed X/Y and ORAS are compatible with two more games, meaning moon and sun were planned all along as the unconventional sequels we were told x and y were going to get that would not be like previous sequels (as in not like a Z or X/Y2).

Call it gen 6.5 or gen 7, I think it was planned from the start to extend and grow Kalos into a fuller region or simply use it as a supplement to something else.

Reactions: JES
So you guys remember how XY's japanese logos hinted at Mega evolution before anyone knew what it was?
View attachment 57741
They put the MEvo symbol in the logo over the hard "-n" kana.
the Japamese S&M logos are doing the same thing...sort of
View attachment 57742 View attachment 57743
Crystals...no wait, they're gems...in space.
Also, the Pokéball has a little comet tail.
Moon version is holding a revive because it knows how badly is going to lose against THE SUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)