Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

One thing I like is how they still incorporated "Damn you muscle memory" in this. We're all used to X being the button to open menus since Gen 4 and the nice little programmers mapped the X button to Start for us so we have a second way to access the menu. Now if only they allowed touch screen use during battle THEN we'd get to an impressive level.

Remind me: If you do the Old Man Glitch and get a Pokemon over level 100, can they eventually "roll over" to below level 100? Like, say I get a level 245 Bulbasaur or Squirtle. Are they condemned to forever be level 245 basic Pokemon?

Holding L and R and then pressing Y changes the VC screen from greyscale to retro greenscale. It's brighter, but also garish. I think Yellow is different because it's a GB Color game. Holding select on game startup displays a console border!

Remind me: If you do the Old Man Glitch and get a Pokemon over level 100, can they eventually "roll over" to below level 100? Like, say I get a level 245 Bulbasaur or Squirtle. Are they condemned to forever be level 245 basic Pokemon?
Receiving ANY natural experience rolls them to level 100. You can just keep Rare Candying them. Something like maybe 20 Rare Candies gets them to a usable level

Wondering, how are you guys going to manage keeping all the TMs available? With only 1x all of them and limited inventory space it will be a pain in the butt, I guess. I don't think I'm going to bother cloning all of them via the Missingno glitch, that'd take ages..

Hmm, I was thinking of resetting each time for multiple legendary copies. I wonder how nature would be determined upon moon/sun transfer but then it's too early to know right.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Hmm, I was thinking of resetting each time for multiple legendary copies. I wonder how nature would be determined upon moon/sun transfer but then it's too early to know right.
Unless S/M brings some mechanic changes to the series, I imagine natures will be random upon transfer. The entire structure of a Pokemon from Gen I has to be reconstructed from the ground up with a hex PID/personality value, and I imagine the nature will be pulled from it's newfound technical DNA

Of course, we won't know until S/M come around, but that's the most likely case

Unless S/M brings some mechanic changes to the series, I imagine natures will be random upon transfer. The entire structure of a Pokemon from Gen I has to be reconstructed from the ground up with a hex PID/personality value, and I imagine the nature will be pulled from it's newfound technical DNA

Of course, we won't know until S/M come around, but that's the most likely case
Yeah I'm kind of excited to just keep on resetting legends and transferring each of them.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone been able to trade a Cut mon into the game so you can keep the SS Anne there and Surf to the truck later? I'm assuming there is absolutely nothing there since these seem to be direct ports of the original games, I'm just curious is all lol.

Anyone at the Elite 4 yet?
What color is Jynx's face?
Jynx was originally black. It was changed to purple after a the first appearance in a U.S. showing because it appeared to reference blackface which relates back to racism and slavery in America. But in actuality it was just referencing Ganguro culture (which is effectively Japanese whiteface), and Americans think everything is about them.

Has anyone been able to trade a Cut mon into the game so you can keep the SS Anne there and Surf to the truck later? I'm assuming there is absolutely nothing there since these seem to be direct ports of the original games, I'm just curious is all lol.
There's a glitch to get back on the S.S. Anne after it's left.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There's a glitch to get back on the S.S. Anne after it's left.
If I recall don't you just get knocked out? I think the easiest way to do it is just go directly to the captain's room, beat your rival, then go back to the Pokemon Center and deposit all but a weak Pokemon, go back to the Captain and get the HM for Cut, and then battle a trainer aboard the ship and get a black out/white out. You'll be teleported back to the Pokemon Center and the SS Anne won't leave. Then you can go back later and use Surf to look under that truck for Mew which is totally there, I heard so from a sibling of a friend of my cousin.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Just got Yellow, and the GAWD DAMN NOSTALGIA KICKS IN.

Wondering, how are you guys going to manage keeping all the TMs available? With only 1x all of them and limited inventory space it will be a pain in the butt, I guess. I don't think I'm going to bother cloning all of them via the Missingno glitch, that'd take ages..

Yo, the PC is there for a reason brah. If you see a space man, you park it man!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just beat Yellow. I'm not sure if these games are easier than I thought they were, or if I just really sucked when I was 4. I even tried to challenge myself by keeping Pikachu on my team as opposed to picking up a far-superior Jolteon in Celadon City, but by the time I got to Assdick Blue, my highest was level 45 (Vaporeon) compared to Assdick's Blue's Jolteon at level 65, and I still didn't really struggle at all. Granted, I was heavily exploiting the Leech Seed + Toxic glitch during the Elite Four, so my Full Restore usage was pretty low.

Final team:

Pikachu (Pikashoo) lv43
-Thunderbolt
-Skull Bash
-Flash
-Thunder

Nidoqueen (Boobymon) lv43
-Blizzard
-Thunderbolt
-Body Slam
-Earthquake

Venusaur (Weed) lv41
-Body Slam
-Toxic
-Leech Seed
-Mega Drain

Charizard (Geico) lv43
-Cut
-Slash
-Fire Blast
-Fly

Vaporeon (Wasser) lv45
-Surf
-Bite
-Aurora Beam
-Ice Beam

Snorlax (Lay-Z) lv40
-Body Slam
-Strength
-Surf
-Selfdestruct

Now, uhh... Time to go catch Mewtwo? I guess the more fulfilling postgames of every game following this one have kinda spoiled me, but there's not a whole lot to do now. Time to go clone me a boatload of Fissure TMs through Missingno glitch so I can get a bunch of Fissure Machamps in Pokemon Sun.

Does the Missingno. glitch work in Red and Blue? If so, for the purpose of abusing the buff of old Pokemon, wouldn't Red and Blue not be THE games to purchase over Yellow since you can clone TMs and teach it to each Pokemon that would benefit from it?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does the Missingno. glitch work in Red and Blue? If so, for the purpose of abusing the buff of old Pokemon, wouldn't Red and Blue not be THE games to purchase over Yellow since you can clone TMs and teach it to each Pokemon that would benefit from it?
Missingno glitch works in Yellow; you can still do it through the Mew glitch & Cable Club escape glitch. Item duplication is possible in Yellow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)