Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So where's Mega Pikachu? </sarcasm>

In all seriousness, the only Double Mega candidates I feel that are "logical" are those Pokemon that are already a mixed stat mon.

So if a Mon has the potential for both sides of the damage spectrum, it is likely to get a double mega. Infernape can (and I sorta hope it does) have two megas as proven by the fact it is the single most versatile starter Pokemon ever created.
I think we should start edging on the side of caution, we're almost wishlisting (not quite yet, but I can see it devolving into it). Like as of now I think the only direction we can go is just listing the Pokemon who's stats could swing it in one direction or another.

Speaking of which, Raichu would be on the list. The very least Pikachu's popularity can do for its poor, overlooked evolution is let it have two Mega Evolutions.

I think we should start edging on the side of caution, we're almost wishlisting (not quite yet, but I can see it devolving into it). Like as of now I think the only direction we can go is just listing the Pokemon who's stats could swing it in one direction or another.

Speaking of which, Raichu would be on the list. The very least Pikachu's popularity can do for its poor, overlooked evolution is let it have two Mega Evolutions.
Actually, that isn't a bad idea. Maybe when I have the time, I'll go through the Pokemon without a Mega and compile a list of candidates for Megas and what their role might be.

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Makes game based on Chinese region.

Finds out that Chinese laws does not allow to sell the games.

No one else liked China.

To be fair... China is a very controversial country in Asia, including Japan.
There's a lot of political tension among Asian countries.
China is heavily disliked by Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese and Hongkongers, and even has issues in Indonesia.
It would be really stupid to make a region based on China.
Apparently (South) Koreans and Indonesians have a slightly favorable view of China. And I don't think current views are going to matter a lot in terms of how players perceive the region based on it - think of tourists going to China (3rd biggest destination in the world) - exploring a region based on the country is kinda like that. Would you think these tourists all have a highly positive view of the country? :P

imo it's not likely either way for GF to ever base a region on China, it's waaay too big and messy for a single handheld game to handle. That's why they only did the NYC for US.

Speaking of which, seems like no one has posted the Hawaiian theory for the Gen7 region yet? o.o In the Pokemon Direct trailer there were yellow fire engines as well as license plates with rainbows on them (both unique to the State of Hawaii) . The rainbow is a symbol of the state in general and is a recurrent theme during the last few days. These evidence seems almost irrefutable to me >.<

Which of course begs the question: will this game get a 7.8 from the IGN again due to "too much water"? An archipelagic region is definitely uncharted territory, idk how story progression would work. Sevii Islands 2.0?

EDIT: Seems like someone did post it before. I'd just like to say that, the license plates are so specific a detail, it would be really hard to convince anyone that the region is NOT based on Hawaii.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually, that isn't a bad idea. Maybe when I have the time, I'll go through the Pokemon without a Mega and compile a list of candidates for Megas and what their role might be.
Just a head's up, that would be a little too far on the edge of wishlisting for OI. But I could see the guys over at The Flying Press accepting (and helping to write) a well-written article about it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That would be too wishlist-y. I was just suggesting looking through all the fully evolved Pokemon, finding ones who were mixed attackers, and make a list out of that since those would be the most likely to have two Megas (each focusing on being Special or Physical).

EDIT: Shedinja'd

Apparently (South) Koreans and Indonesians have a slightly favorable view of China. And I don't think current views are going to matter a lot in terms of how players perceive the region based on it - think of tourists going to China (3rd biggest destination in the world) - exploring a region based on the country is kinda like that. Would you think these tourists all have a highly positive view of the country? :P

imo it's not likely either way for GF to ever base a region on China, it's waaay too big and messy for a single handheld game to handle. That's why they only did the NYC for US.

Speaking of which, seems like no one has posted the Hawaiian theory for the Gen7 region yet? o.o In the Pokemon Direct trailer there were yellow fire engines as well as license plates with rainbows on them (both unique to the State of Hawaii) . The rainbow is a symbol of the state in general and is a recurrent theme during the last few days. These evidence seems almost irrefutable to me >.<

Which of course begs the question: will this game get a 7.8 from the IGN again due to "too much water"? An archipelagic region is definitely uncharted territory, idk how story progression would work. Sevii Islands 2.0?
Hawaii was already brought up, but people are too hung up on the idea that we will be in a neighboring region of Kalos due to Zygarde not getting its story finished yet.

I just don't see the logic in another volcanic, tropical environment right after Hoenn.Volcanion might be another point for that argument but you don't need Hawaii for a place with a coastal setting. Why doesn't the mediterranean sea and countries that are part of its coast get consideration? Spain, Britain, Greece, and what do you know, France.

This might open up regional differences in Kalos pokemon too - perhaps different colored Binacle or Furfrou.

EDIT: By the way, Magearna and Volcanion both share designs that look influenced by the industrial revolution. Early innovators of the Steam engine were Spanish and British.

This might open up regional differences in Kalos pokemon too - perhaps different colored Binacle or Furfrou.
Vivillon proved different patterns of the same Pokemon are hella awesome and collectible. If they started doing different "region formes" of Pokemon like different color schemes of Pokemon born within the in-game region while retaining the "pattern" of the previous region for individuals born in that region, it'd be sweet. Like, if Arbok in SM had a different hood pattern to ORASXY, but ORASXY Arbok kept their hood pattern in SM, that'd be AWESOME.

To keep this from being all wishlist, I do have to wonder if we will be able to find a more... diverse environment of Pokemon distribution. Like, the Pokemon we encounter on routes are only those found in the defined paths by the Pokemon League while other mons (like the fully evolved who breed for the ecosystem to continue) are found beyond the borders of the routes.

...I'm making sense, right?

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Am gonna call Sun/Moon SM. Never used & when referring to previous games, won't now.
Doing a similar thing with SuMo. Those jokes got obnoxiously old after 15 seconds.

I would like to delve into speculation but wasn't given much to go on (especially new mons to fan art). I have to say that the concept art for the Pokemon Center and the hotel-like building are just beautiful. ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
btw small thing I noticed:

We can transfer Red/Blue Pokemon to Sun/Moon right?
If yes, shouldn't there be a problem with th data structure of the Pokemon? I mean there was a completly different IV System for example.
=> Gamefreak has motivation to change it due to problems if the data gets "simply imported"

Furthermore
Also we have a lot of people complaining about the IV Breeding System, not allowing them to use the ingame team for example
(and HM's but that's another topic)

small Conclusion: Golden Sun and Moon will change the IV/EV System.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

If yes, shouldn't there be a problem with th data structure of the Pokemon? I mean there was a completly different IV System for example.
=> Gamefreak has motivation to change it due to problems if the data gets "simply imported"

Furthermore
Also we have a lot of people complaining about the IV Breeding System, not allowing them to use the ingame team for example

Excuse me, but RBY does have IVs

it's far more likely the are just putting in a system to approximate the old gen 1/2 IV system into the closest match for the gen 3+ system IMO

so a mon gets the closest match in the modern system for the internal stats it had in the old one

i really don't see them dropping the current IV/EV system.

Furthermore

I haven't read any complaints about the IV system, and it's seriously incredibly easy to breed good IV'd Pokemon with the current system. They've been making it easier since the 3rd gen. The current system works pretty well. The logical conclusion is that there'll be a conversion process for 1st gen 'mons, not the other way around.

I haven't read any complaints about the IV system, and it's seriously incredibly easy to breed good IV'd Pokemon with the current system. They've been making it easier since the 3rd gen. The current system works pretty well. The logical conclusion is that there'll be a conversion process for 1st gen 'mons, not the other way around.
I agree. I don't see much problem in converting the IV and EV from the Gen I system to the current one.

Unrelated, one thing I wish Gen VII would add is a new Hidden Power mechanic adding Fairy and possibly Normal type.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I don't think that Gen I will be that great other than Fissure Machamp (I want one and can I request one that knows Mega Kick for coverage?) because it seems likely that they'll all have neutral natures due to the lack of natures in Gen I.

It's embarrassing, but I'm just going to say it. I don't know what's worse. That I'm the only guy that doesn't get the S&M jokes, or that I'm 20 and don't get the S&M jokes.

Last edited:
I don't think that Gen I will be that great other than Fissure Machamp (I want one and can I request one that Mega Kick for coverage?) because it seems likely that they'll all have neutral natures due to the lack of natures in Gen I.

It's embarrassing, but I'm just going to say it. I don't know what's worse. That I'm the only guy that doesn't get the S&M jokes, or that I'm 20 and don't get the S&M jokes.
You don't want to get the jokes, I promise.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

This is how I figured they do it:

1. It'll have the same name.
2. It'll have the same moves.
3. Do what they did in Gen II for the Special Stat and deciding gender (that way if they release the Gen II games with connectivity to Pokemon Bank they could follow these steps except skip this one)
4. Afterwards they could just proportionate the differences between the Gen I & II's DVs and Gen III+'s IV values and round it. So say a Gen I (or II) Pokemon had a stat spread of 12/15/9/7/7/11 (remember in Gen I and II there was only one "Special" stat that, in Gen II, was used for both the Special Attack and Special Defense. Obviously when transferred over they'll just split it into Special Attack and Special Defense with both having the same value). Add one to each value and then divide each by 16 (remember, 0 counts as a value) and you'll get 0.8125/1/0.625/0.5/0.5/0.75. Now multiply those numbers by 32 and than subtract 1 from their value and you should get their "correct" IVs from Gen III onwards: 25/31/19/15/15/23. Now there is problems with this system, the values won't ever be even numbers and Hidden Power will always be Dark-type unless they redo it (which honestly they should, it was a neat gimmick at the time but Hidden Power really needs to be separated from the IV system). but hey, at least this way you can get a mon with a max 31 and in the end I think we can all agree that's the important thing here.
5. Set EVs to zero (there's Super Training and Vitamins. IVs were the only big problem honesty).
6. Then once all that's done Ability and Nature could be randomly generated (though it would be nice if they let us choose them).

I don't think that Gen I will be that great other than Fissure Machamp (I want one and can I request one that Mega Kick for coverage?) because it seems likely that they'll all have neutral natures due to the lack of natures in Gen I.
On this note, I fully expect the natures and abilities of transferred pokémon to be random. What I want to know, is how the seed will be for the random selection will be selected; theoretically, as long as the nature and ability will ultimately not determined according to DV's, which actually is a possibility I suppose, then it might be possible that cloned pokémon would have different natures upon transfer. If this is the case, then cloning the pokémon might be one of the best ways to get the desired nature on transfer. The PC clone glitch does work in Gen I, right? Not just in Gen II?

As someone who has experimented a lot with glitching in gen 1 games, I can confirm that you can clone Pokemon in gen 1 (although it risks having the box data corrupted/inaccessible if you don't know what you're doing). Or you could just have the system execute arbitrary code to get perfect IV'd mons.

There are 16 possible IV values in the old system and 32 in the new, so double the value and randomly add 1 (%50 chance) seems like best and simplest solution. So

0 becomes 0 or 1
1 becomes 2 or 3
2 becomes 4 or 5...
...15 becomes 30 or 31

I agree. I don't see much problem in converting the IV and EV from the Gen I system to the current one.

Unrelated, one thing I wish Gen VII would add is a new Hidden Power mechanic adding Fairy and possibly Normal type.
If they added Fairy or Normal type Hidden Powers, it would fuck over currently existing Pokemon that literally rely on Hidden Power (ALL Electric types) by changing the IV spreads that determines what Hidden Power a Pokemon gets, thus changing the Hidden Powers of existing Pokemon from something useful and needed (Ice or Fire) to something worthless (Dragon or Dark)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
If they added Fairy or Normal type Hidden Powers, it would fuck over currently existing Pokemon that literally rely on Hidden Power (ALL Electric types) by changing the IV spreads that determines what Hidden Power a Pokemon gets, thus changing the Hidden Powers of existing Pokemon from something useful and needed (Ice or Fire) to something worthless (Dragon or Dark)
Or, you know, have a way for us to choose what Hidden Power type we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)