Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt they will be exclusive to the anime; I can believe Ash Greninja being anime-exclusive but not the Zygarde forms especially when 10% Zygarde was talked about as having increased speed.
... plus the idea of being shown a giant Zygarde Mech and not being allowed to use it is scary ;-;

I highly doubt they will be exclusive to the anime; I can believe Ash Greninja being anime-exclusive but not the Zygarde forms especially when 10% Zygarde was talked about as having increased speed.
... plus the idea of being shown a giant Zygarde Mech and not being allowed to use it is scary ;-;
How exactly do we think Zyguarde will fit in, i doubt moon and sun are purely based on Zyguarde.

How exactly do we think Zyguarde will fit in, i doubt moon and sun are purely based on Zyguarde.
Nobody suggested that SM would/should center around Zygarde...He's just saying that Zygarde should be featured to some extent, or at least have his formes accessible. Asking "how" at this point won't accomplish much, since we have 0 gameplay information.

Speaking of ZyGod, people have only made note that the hexagons in his chavimouth represent XY and SM. My little fanon is that the red and blue bits on his shoulder tentacles represent XY, the red and blue jewel tone hexagons in his chavimouth represent ORAS and the goldenrod/cerulean ones, as everyone else has theorized, represent SM.

For added fun, the white hexagon in the middle is a sign of purity, in reference to how, since ZyGod is Zygarde at 100%, he's the purest form of Zygarde (this is probably a bad comparison, but it's like how 100-proof liquor is pure alcohol)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Well we know that XY threw that comment about a Moondial/Lunardial which would imply some sort of connection between the new region and Kalos if the new region does have said Moondial. The assumption would be that Zygarde is also related to whatever new legendaries would be the presumed mascots of SM, which is furthered by the fact that the pattern on Zygarde Complete's chest features the Blue, Red, Orange and Purple colors of XY and SM respectively. If said legends get "Aura" abilities of some sort that would all but confirm this but I doubt we'd get that information anytime soon. If nothing else, Zygarde 50% implies that there would be another Zygarde 50% somewhere so it's possible that the other one is in this new region as well. Whether or not Zygarde Complete makes its debut here is anyone's guess but I think it's an entirely reasonable expectation that it does.

I wonder if they'll tie a Dragon (Zygarde) being the true source of megastone power like they did with Rayquaza in XY.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I wonder if they'll tie a Dragon (Zygarde) being the true source of megastone power like they did with Rayquaza in XY.
I don't think Rayquaza was the source of Mega Evolution, just the first one to Mega Evolve (so far). Mega Evolution more seems to be the result of the bond between people and the Infinity Energy.

Ok so now that the initial hype and excitement for SM has died down a bit I might as well put my thoughts across. I was one of the people who was very perplexed when Z was not announced last year and had gone down the gen 6.5 route when Magearna was revealed. But it seems GF must have made a decision between XY and ORAS to cancel Z, hence why the Thousand Arrows/Waves moves are programmed in and Floette-E exists in the game. But obviously as Codraroll has said before the amine was written and had to be shown, along with all the new Zygarde forms. To be honest GF could have handled it all better as we all got very confused for a while and some people were upset that Z was not coming and they had been misled. I never felt that way myself, in fact it's a welcome breath of fresh air that GF have finally decided to break the 3rd game cycle and mix things up. I think from now on nobody can reliably predict what GF are going to do.

The good thing with the third version not always being a option is that GF can't make a mediocre game and improve it later on (Cough* DP to Platinum* cough) and they will be expected by fans to get it right first time. For a brand that is now over 20 years old releasing top quality core games every time is what's needed for them to last the next 20. As for Zygarde I think the theory of him being the master legend for not only XY but also SM makes a lot of sense and would explain the loose ends with XY, as well as help people get used to there not being a third version. Besides the gen 2 model for a postgame has always been very popular and many people (myself included) would want that again.

As for the whole transfer from gen 1 debate (which was the best surprise from the direct imo) it really could go two ways. It would not be hard to convert the 0-15 DV into the 0-31 IV system and the natures/genders/abilities can be random. But personally I really don't want this to happen. This is their best opportunity since gen 2 to 3 change the flawed IV system. I get IVs (and DVs) were made to make each Pokemon unique, but I'm pretty certain that GF never wanted that if my timid Latios does not have 31 IV speed (or 30 with hp fire) them its useless and should be scrapped. Pokemon is at the end of the day a kids game and where you are supposed to bond with your team as you get all the badges and beat the elite four + Champion. It REALLY sucks when all of them (bar legendaries which you spent 5 hours resetting) are useless when you try to play competitive after postgame. A system where each Pokemon had its own base IVs, but you could increase or decrease them via expensive but constantly obtainable items (e.g Protein, Zinc etc, but with a reset to default IVs option) would be perfect but I'll stop here to not go too far into wishlisting.

Anyway I'm looking forward to gen 7, hopefully we will get more Megas (with focus on gen 2 and 5/6) and more of whatever Ash-Greninga is (+50 BST plus ability to hold items once per team?). A Poison cover legendary and a Dark gym would be welcomed too! (Along with a moon exclusive poison/dark M-Umbreon with shadow tag cause I'm evil :-P)

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Anyway, I've not really been keeping up with discussion here (maybe I'll start :U). This post is totally spam rn though, so I will say that it's almost certain that Kalos will be travelled to in this game. Train station already there, too many loose ends etc. etc. you've heard it all before, but it's p much a certainty.

As for a discussion which has probably died out at this point, the new bird Pokémon shown in the direct is like a million times better than every Gen VI Pokémon besides Amaura and Aurorus.

...it seems GF must have made a decision between XY and ORAS to cancel Z, hence why the Thousand Arrows/Waves moves are...
"Cancel Z"
It's been made apparent that Z was never planned. When people cracked the code on the pentagon symbol it was discovered that six game titles would add a pentagon to the stats of Pokemon caught in those games. With the release of SM, we can probably safely guess that Z was never one of those six games.

And even then, they've said in interviews that they started drafting Gen6 in 2010, so it's more than likely that GameFreak had their transition to Gen7 and Zygarde's potential involvement mapped out before they even announced XY.

Last edited:
"Cancel Z"
It's been made apparent that Z was never planned. When people cracked the code on the pentagon symbol it was discovered that six game titles would add a pentagon to the stats of Pokemon caught in those games. With the release of SM, we can probably safely guess that Z was never one of those six games.
Not necessarily. A press release has stated, IIRC, that Sun/Moon cannot trade directly with XYORAS - in the same way Black/White can't trade directly with Diamond/Pearl; they're a new gen. I think it's more safe to say that the pentagon symbol codes were put in as a worst-case-scenario thing if they had to change plans at the last minute.

Are we really so starved for information that we're arguing whether this counts as a new generation or not?

Well there will be new Pokemon, and it will have some kind of connection to previous games. That's all we can really be sure of.

This is savage Game Freak. You give us 4 images in the nintendo direct and now we're on each other's throats over whether Zygarde is going to be in the game or not. Release a trailer before someone gets stabbed in the name of the moon.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Are we really so starved for information that we're arguing whether this counts as a new generation or not?

Well there will be new Pokemon, and it will have some kind of connection to previous games. That's all we can really be sure of.

This is savage Game Freak. You give us 4 images in the nintendo direct and now we're on each other's throats over whether Zygarde is going to be in the game or not. Release a trailer before someone gets stabbed in the name of the moon.
Here's what I have to say about what you said here and what people are arguing about.

Yes we are starved for information. Reveal the new bird in a way that's more than a few dev pics! If anything can be called Gen 6.5, it's ORAS. The new megas were effectively new Pokemon from a competitive standpoint. (If Gen 7 is less than 50 Pokemon then I'll probably take this back.) Zygrade will be in this game... along with the other 721 known Pokemon. (722 if you count the new bird.) What we're arguing about is if Zygrade is important to the plot of these games. :P (My guess is that it keeps balance not only between the X and Y Legends, but also the Sun and Moon ones.) The only confirmed connection to previous games is transferring Pokemon, but there's probably more than that. (I believe the theory that Sun and Moon will be to X and Y like Gold and Silver were to Red and Blue.) And it's too late about the throat cutting. I'm a slave at a salt mine because I said that the sun was too bright (Worth it) and others have been burned in other poorly drawn comics for praising the moon. Thanks Game Freak! (I probably deserve to be banned for bringing up those comics again...)

Reactions: JES
Now that the new versions have been announced, I can't put it off anymore: I have to go around, and catch the various legendaries that Hoopa has mischievously deposited. I'll probably just finish training the Pokémon I've been leveling up in either the Sun or Moon version, unless Game Freak does the stupid thing, and gets rid of the EXP Power (in which case that would be a waste of time and precious EXP).

I'm not going to lie, I am definitely disappointed that there isn't going to be an improved third version(s), especially given the lackluster post game of XY, and the mysteries that have never been taken to their conclusion:
Who was the ghost girl, and if we're not "the one", who is, and what happened to her?
Something needs to be done with that Cave of Emptiness!
Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows is still waiting to be used legitimately.
That train station must lead to somewhere, so where?

I don't want another pair of half-baked games, so if they are going to go down the route of skipping the third and improved version from now on, they'd better go all out from now on.
At the very least, if they include new Zygarde forms (I want my Squishy! And I shall name him Squishy, and he shall be my Squishy, and he will CRUSH ALL COMPETITION!!!) and the Battle Frontier (they have to make it up to the fans for teasing us just coming too soon), then as far as I'm concerned, all will be right with the world.

I'd also still like them to pull a G/S (not the ball!!!), and be able to address those in the post game by being able to revisit Kalos.

Oh, and they'd better not get rid of Amie or Super Training (that, or they'd better improve/replace them)!

As exciting as being able to transfer Pokémon from the RBGY reissues might be (still don't have the time or money though), they are going to have to do way better than that!

And I can't help but think of the symbols reminding me of Lugia (the moon, ahead of which Lugia comes swooping down), and Ho-Oh (which I believe has been said to be related to the sun in some ways). I'm hoping that maybe there will be a connection, and that not only does this hint at being able to visit Kalos again, much like Gen II did to add more post game content, but that they'll not only make the dou catchable in the post game, but also make it possible to catch them with their hidden abilities with 3+ 31 IVs.

And while they're at it, they should also make it possible to be able to catch the three original legendaries. The event in XY doesn't, that doesn't count. Being able to catch only one of a legendary trio! Hah! What a joke!

Edit: And finally, they should make it possible to catch both Xerneas and Yvetal, for those of us not made of money (not everyone can afford to get both version!), or lucky enough to get one via Wonder Trade (I love my Timid 6x 31 IV Xerneas). That, or they could just release Bacon Bird and Blue Bambi worldwide (which I guess is probably more likely, and satisfactory, so long as they don't run out of cards at the local game store!)

This is very possible, I think.
I was thinking about the Sundial in Anistar city too.
It's kind of linked to Mega Evolution, alike how Zygarde is linked to Mega evolution too.
Moondial could be another thing that links to Mega evolution... or maybe another kinda of mechanic.
And this just occured to me: what if the Moondial is linked to Magearna somehow, just as Diancie looks quite a bit like the Sundial (and might be related, though this have never been confirmed).

What worries me is all the non-fixed glitches they said they'll keep in.
Screw TMs, Mews will be as cheap as regular catches soon.

I played Red on emulator recently with the clear intent of abusing just about anything I could, and it's very easy to do. You can even generate glitchmon which will turn into Lugia in Gen II.
I'm more worried if it is possible to transfer glitch Pokémon, just for lolz. If Wonder Trade is in SM (and I hope it is, if only because it is a good, fun way to get rid of breedjects, rather than just releasing them), I'll have avoid using it, for fear of some idiots deciding that WTing them will be a funny prank. Wonder Trade Wednesday will be dead and buried to me if that happens.

The Horsea statue is also in front of a blue-ish building, with posters of all Water-types (Spheal, Staryu, Chinchou). Water gym maybe? I see no gym icon. Maybe another aquarium then?
It actually reminds me a little of the front of a hotel that my family and I have stayed in when we visit our cousins, so I'm wondering if it is a water-themed hotel? It'd be pretty cool if all the different hotels had different themes or mascots, just like how the hotel we used to stay at had these pair of swans for their mascot.

Last edited:

So we were wondering a few pages back about what Red was doing there - I'm just thinking though; considering we have precedent for clothing in XY, and this is a 20th anniversary title... maybe they're going to let you buy costumes of previous protagonists?

It's maybe a bit too much of a speculation with barely any information but I don't think it's baseless.

So we were wondering a few pages back about what Red was doing there - I'm just thinking though; considering we have precedent for clothing in XY, and this is a 20th anniversary title... maybe they're going to let you buy costumes of previous protagonists?

It's maybe a bit too much of a speculation with barely any information but I don't think it's baseless.
It'd be about time. I've been wanting to buy the clothing from the previous generations ever since it became a thing, and wondered why they didn't do so.

Another possibility is that this what our character is seeing in a small cutscene and Red is somehow involved in this story.

It could also be that the image of Red is a placeholder for the player character on the concept art. The building may have been drawn up before designs for the main characters were finished. Though, I would love if they brought back trainer customization, with more options.
brightobject said:
have we talked about the small woodpecker pokemon shown briefly during the trailer yet? If we haven't...
I think we may have talked about it briefly on Friday. I love the design; I feel like we've really needed a woodpecker. As for typing, who knows. Maybe they could branch off from the norm again like they did with Talonflame and make it a different type.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
have we talked about the small woodpecker pokemon shown briefly during the trailer yet? If we haven't...

looks like standard region normal flying line to me
Those are some nice sketches. It's amazing what dedicated fan artists with a wire frame and a pic with a bad angle can do.

The new bird looks like a type of woodpecker that's common where I live (US East Cost, Wooded area) that I thought was called a Flicker, but is actually a Red-bellied Woodpecker. (A Goggle image search corrected me... Why do I keep posting embarrassing things?)

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Apparently, the belly is on its skull... and makes me want to pet it.
Northern Flicker

I have not seen this bird before, but it looks like it would be a good Grass Type or Shiny coloration for new bird.

Seeing another woodpecker that isn't a Flicker in the "Woodpecker Flicker" Google Image search made me realize it's probably not based off of a Flicker. (I'm disappointed about that.) Judging by the hair, the new bird is based off of a Pileated Woodpecker.

Pileated Woodpecker

I thought the new bird's hair was to look cool until I saw that it was based off of a real bird's cool hair.

I'm quoting this post from Page 45 to link to more fan art of the new bird.
Man people can be really fast with new pokemon art.

Credit to ImNotSteven on GAF with speculative art on the new bird poke.
On an unrelated note, all these bird pic remind me that no squirrels came by my bird feeder this winter... not even Stubby. I like Stubby. :)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Can somebody verify the source? Is that a legit Twitter channel?

You see, there will be a lot of fakery abound in the coming weeks/months. LOTS of people pretending to have "inside information". The fact that "Pokémon Niju" turned out to be legit will probably only encourage people to fake info for attention. We'll try to keep this thread as clean as possible when it comes to unofficial leaks, and delete things we find suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)