Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

I hear there's a version of this glitch in Pokemon Yellow, but I think the implementation is totally different, and from what I can tell, the Perfect DV stuff wouldn't work because you need specific Pokemon in boxes. Look around though, maybe there's a way to pull it off in Yellow that I'm not aware of.
Thanks. As a side note, .com says that it is impossible for wild Pokémon to have perfect DVs, so a Pokémon whose DVs were changed via this glitch might be flagged by Bank as a hack. Still, we have no idea about how the transfer will work, so this remains to be seen.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks. As a side note, .com says that it is impossible for wild Pokémon to have perfect DVs, so a Pokémon whose DVs were changed via this glitch might be flagged by Bank as a hack. Still, we have no idea about how the transfer will work, so this remains to be seen.
Thanks for bringing that up! I think its possible that they might pass considering how poor gamefreak's traditional hack checkers are (and in a way, you could argue that this is more of a glitch than a hack), but still: We have no idea how Sun and Moon transfers are going to work, so its hard to say if this glitch is going to be worth it in the long run I guess.

For now I'll keep using it though. Worst case scenario, Pokebank doesn't accept them, and I guess that'd just make getting Pokemon from RBY a not so feasible task for competitive teams!

First, make sure you have a Pokemon with a Special stat of 182 or 183. These correspond to index numbers of two Missingno formes that will both trigger item duplication and won't crash your game upon encounter (level-grinding a Pokemon at Cerulean Cave shouldn't be too much of an issue though, these Pokemon give lots of EXP). Same as with Red and Blue, you will want the item you want duplicated to be in slot #6.

Step 1. Start up Mew glitch as normal (walk up to trainer then hit Start at same time blah blah blah)
Step 2. Go battle a trainer you haven't fought yet
Step 3. Once that's done, fly to Cinnabar Island and go to Pokemon Mansion
Step 4. Go to where Ditto appears, then walk around until it does
Step 5. Switch in your Pokemon with 182 or 183 Special on Ditto as it Transforms, then defeat it
Step 6. When you go back to the route you first set up Mew glitch on, you will activate an encounter with Missingno and item #6 will be duplicated. 129 Fissure TMs Master Balls!
Thanks. So Red/Blue are still the best games if I want to duplicate items though, right?

Thanks for bringing that up! I think its possible that they might pass considering how poor gamefreak's traditional hack checkers are (and in a way, you could argue that this is more of a glitch than a hack), but still: We have no idea how Sun and Moon transfers are going to work, so its hard to say if this glitch is going to be worth it in the long run I guess.

For now I'll keep using it though. Worst case scenario, Pokebank doesn't accept them, and I guess that'd just make getting Pokemon from RBY a not so feasible task for competitive teams!
True - I would consider it a glitch rather than a hack since there is no external device involved, but things that are not normally available but obtainable via glitch (i.e. any move on any Pokémon via the Transform/Rage glitch) have previously been flagged. Some are speculating that a Mew from the Mew glitch may be flagged as well since it won't have the proper OT.

I don't know why loads of the guides get u to use the lvl17 slowpoke for mew glitch because last night I used the gym swimmer then was able to use the glitch for all the trainers on the way to bills house getting some good poke (can list them if I'm just reporting what people know already) including a second mew!
One question though, could I use the glitch on the gym leader or would the convo after the battle crash the game?

Wooooooooo

I got Yellow so the traditional Missingno. encounter techniques wouldn't work. Did the Mew Glitch once after encountering a Caterpie with 9 Special for a level 100 Ivysaur, gave it two calciums so its Special was in the range of 182-184, then did the Mew Glitch again after encountering a Ditto to get a stable Missingno. Now I've got a fucked up Hall of Fame and the 100+ Rare Candies!

Wooooooooo

I got Yellow so the traditional Missingno. encounter techniques wouldn't work. Did the Mew Glitch once after encountering a Caterpie with 9 Special for a level 100 Ivysaur, gave it two calciums so its Special was in the range of 182-184, then did the Mew Glitch again after encountering a Ditto to get a stable Missingno. Now I've got a fucked up Hall of Fame and the 100+ Rare Candies!
Don't forget you can not only duplicate your 6th item slot, but also the slot you swap with your 6th item slot while in-battle!

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I couldn't find a post on minimum attack stat experience, so I calculated it here: http://pastebin.com/HAQgXNVs

So I think to minimise the attack stat for confusion of any Pokémon that doesn't use physical attacks in RBY, you beat 231 Chansey (found in Cerulean Cave) and 660 Magikarp.

What are the Yellow-exclusive glitches?

Is there a working cloning glitch in either R/B or Y? I know the original games had the one where you power off the Game Boy during a link trade (similar to X/Y), but that is one glitch that I imagine isn't in the new release, with the new wireless trading and all.

Also, is there a glitch to maximize stat exp?

What are the Yellow-exclusive glitches?

Is there a working cloning glitch in either R/B or Y? I know the original games had the one where you power off the Game Boy during a link trade (similar to X/Y), but that is one glitch that I imagine isn't in the new release, with the new wireless trading and all.

Also, is there a glitch to maximize stat exp?
Too complicated for me.

Requirements:

1) A Pokémon with 63 PP on the first move. This is possible with the PP underflow glitch. Get a low leveled Pokémon capable of learning Hyper Beam and Double Team and some healing items. Level 7 Chansey is good for this. It has great HP and low attack. You can get it at level 7 with the Ditto glitch with a Special of 40 or you could trade one from Generation II. Encounter a level 15 Tentacool, make sure Chansey is slower than the Tentacool, use Double Team six times then use Hyper Beam and hit, then hope that Tentacool uses Wrap the next turn and misses. This will cause Chansey to use Hyper Beam again, causing the underflow.

2) A Q, obtainable by evolving 4 4HY, a Yellow exclusive glitch Pokémon at level 6. Ditto glitch Special required: 192. You'll have to trade Q on to Red/Blue if you want to do it there.

3) A box that has never been filled before. This is important. On real hardware DA94, the end marker for a box will always be FF in box 1 if you've had 20 Pokémon. This matters because of the game 'getting' the FF before the one following the series of bytes you want to shift back.

4) Pokéflute, optional. Or you may be able to get poisoned to lower HP.

5) A good amount of Pokémon in box 2, I didn't count the minimum. Try 15.

6) Pokédollars. Get over 9998.

So let's say you want a flawless Mewtwo. Here are the steps.

Steps:

1) From an empty box 1 deposit the Chansey with move 1 having 63 PP, then 10 Pokémon, then Q in that order. The order is important.
2) Fill your party from another box or through catching Pokémon, switch to box 1 then go into the wild and encounter a Pokémon with a catch rate of 255 and catch it. It will be sent to the first position of box 1.
3) Deposit the Pokémon back in the other box, e.g. box 2, then switch to box 1.
4) Withdraw Q, then the first Pokémon, then the 10 Pokémon, withdrawing the last one every time. You will see no Cancel while you're doing this. To do this, you'll need to deposit Pokémon into another box due to the 6 Pokémon in party limit. When you've done this step, it will max out all IVs, and all 'EVs' except for HP.
5) Withdraw Chansey. Then heal it at a Pokémon Center. Examine the HP modulo 256, e.g. minus 512 if it has 683. This will be the index number of the Pokémon you want. In this video, my result was 171 so this gave me Aerodactyl; pretty lucky!, but you can reduce the value to whatever you want by playing the Poké Flute and getting hit in battle or theoretically through poison. For Mewtwo, the HP modulo 256 needs to be 131.

6) As you should have no box terminators now, you don't need to deposit the maximum amount of Pokémon you had:

Deposit your glitched Chansey after you've got a remaining HP value you want, followed by any 2 Pokémon and Q, the order is important.

7) Fill your party from another box or catch them, then switch to box 1 and capture a catch rate 255 Pokémon; that will be sent to the first position.

8) Deposit your Pokémon in another box, then switch to box 1 and withdraw Q, then the 1st Pokémon, then the 3rd Pokémon, then the 2nd Pokémon. The last two withdrawals will have shifted Chansey's bytes before DAA8 and written FF, FF to the HP EV. Since current HP byte 2 is located two bytes after the Pokémon 1 'recipient' byte, it gets moved into the Pokémon 1 recipient byte.

9) Take your 'Chansey' into the Daycare and receive it to get your reward, e.g. flawless Mewtwo.

So, they made it so that if you try to grab a gift pokemon (Eevee, Lapras) with a full party, said gift pokemon gets transferred to your box. Can someone tell me if this was the case in the cartridges, cuz I don't think you could grab a gift pokemon with a full party.

So, they made it so that if you try to grab a gift pokemon (Eevee, Lapras) with a full party, said gift pokemon gets transferred to your box. Can someone tell me if this was the case in the cartridges, cuz I don't think you could grab a gift pokemon with a full party.
Nope, that was the case. It was only in later games you couldn't get gift 'mon with a full party. ... it was a pretty stupid change.

On the other hand it should be pretty easy to create an arbitrary code execution set-up that sets dvs that respect the limitations. Assuming the limitations are known of course.

Last edited:
Literally an if (a0 && ... && a4) statement. That's as easy as it gets. At least, that was the way I thought of when you mentioned it, but I'm by no means a fully professional programmer. It would be pretty easy to nest something like that into the conversion routine that they need to write anyway, however. However, I could only see them doing this if it's something that is specifically written into the code that's blocking a perfet DV spread; otherwise, it's more than likely down to pure probability, and it wouldn't be the kind of thing they'd block. I don't know the source of this, but it could be that it's simply so unlikely to find a perfect pokémon in the wild, granted, less so than it is in modern games, that it could be considered impossible.

What trainers should I avoid battling as I play through the game in order to abuse future glitches? IIRC, the one trainer between Nugget Bridge and Bill's house and the one near the east entrance to the Celadon/Lavender Underground Path (though I believe there are others that you can use in place of the latter) were needed for the Mew glitch.
New page... anyone?

Really enjoying the game so far. The music is so nostalgic, the sprites to horrible they're great, the game is really charming.

I see why all you genwunners say it's the best. It's not the best, but it certainly isn't horrible. I for some reason can't run though, I either forgot to find running shoes or you just can't in this which I find super weird.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I figured out last night that my future brother in-law bought and downloaded Blue on his 3DS, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to chat about Pokemon and do some classic trading/battling between Red & Blue.

Playing through Gen I always brings up memories of my 5 year old self playing through Red (despite barely being able to read) and chatting with friends about Pokemon during the big Pokemon craze of 1999, but having my first Gen I link battle/trade in 15 years really hit me with a flood of memories of battling with my kindergarten friends before we all moved and went our separate ways in second grade (2001). Haven't seen any of those guys & gals since, and I've no clue where they are today, but I can still picture their faces and their personalities, and can remember everyone gathering in a circle watching us exchange attacks between our Game Boy Colors. The feeling is really indescribable.

Anyway, I'm rambling about feeling old again. Guess my point is, for those of you with the games who played them back in the day, go do some link battles and trades with people. This is the first time since the late 90s -early 2000s that it's actually plausible to find someone else playing the games on a system that supports multiplayer (aka, no emulators), and the feeling it invokes can't compare to simply replaying the games for the billionth time, or playing Gen I on Pokemon Showdown.

Edit: I also remember I have the old Red/Blue strategy guide stashed somewhere. Gotta dig that thing back out for kicks if I can remember where it got stored.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been thinking about whether or not I should buy one of these, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not really motivated to do so. Even though Red was my first exposure to Pokémon, I barely have any memories of it since I was so young when I got it. I can't remember the exact timescale, just that it was after the Game Boy Color was released but before Gold and Silver came out. I was born in '94, so I was like 4 or 5 maybe?

All of my nostalgia is for Gold (and, to a lesser extent, Sapphire) since I can actually remember playing them and dumping hundreds of hours into my files.

I've been thinking about whether or not I should buy one of these, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not really motivated to do so. Even though Red was my first exposure to Pokémon, I barely have any memories of it since I was so young when I got it. I can't remember the exact timescale, just that it was after the Game Boy Color was released but before Gold and Silver came out. I was born in '94, so I was like 4 or 5 maybe?

All of my nostalgia is for Gold (and, to a lesser extent, Sapphire) since I can actually remember playing them and dumping hundreds of hours into my files.
Not going to tell you what you should spend your money on, but I didn't buy them for nostalgia. I bought them because they're legitimately fun games. Like, I played Battletoads when I was a kid but I wouldn't buy that now. I've enjoyed every pokemon game thus far (obviously the formula doesn't wear on me). These games are flawed, but evidently they did a lot of things right since they sparked a 20 year legacy.

Anyway, I'm playing Red without seeking glitches or trying to get all three starters. It's been a good experience so far. I think I'll use glitches in Blue & Yellow.

Found this for red/blue trainers
So, basically, the only trainers that I should avoid battling for useful glitch-abuse purposes are ones whose Pokémon correspond to Mew (or, to a lesser extent, version-exclusives, starters, fossils, or Hitmons) or Missingno. if in Yellow, along with 1 "Fly-able" trainer?

So, basically, the only trainers that I should avoid battling for useful glitch-abuse purposes are ones whose Pokémon correspond to Mew (or, to a lesser extent, version-exclusives, starters, fossils, or Hitmons) or Missingno. if in Yellow, along with 1 "Fly-able" trainer?
Well, that chart is for red and blue. There are some trainer changes in yellow (especially gym leaders). However, you could also use wild ditto to control which pokemon you fight.

Activate glitch, go to any trainer and lose (to keep trainer for more uses of glitch), go searching for ditto. If ditto, switch in pokemon with correct special. Ditto transforms, finish or escape from battle. Finish glitch.

The pokemon you get is the remainder of special stat / 256

The difference between sites like Smogon, Serebii, and Bulbapedia, and sites like the ones Codraroll described, is that the former sites prefer to maintain a reputable level of information and discussion. That, at least, is my take on why Smogon doesn't allow speculation or theorymoning outside of specific avenues, and I have no problem with that.

I can only speak for myself, but that's one of the biggest reasons that I'm here. Fanfiction and creepypastas and theorymoning are little more than the pictures of fan made pokémon that have been churned out since Pokémon's inception; they might be interesting to look at, but they don't have a place in threads like this, where spreading false information only causes confusion.

I am quite surprised by Pokémon.com's own RBY strategy guide.
It's... surprisingly good.
Wow. That's amazing. And it only has one semi-error:
Official Pokémon Website said:
The Steel- and Dark-type Pokémon that would eventually resist Psychic-type attacks don't exist, and Bug- and Ghost-type attacks are weak.
They forgot that Ghost-type attacks do nothing to Psychic-types. Unless they changed it in the VC release. Someone use Lick on a Psychic-type, we need to know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)