Unpopular opinions

If you use Iron Defense on a Pokémon with 180 Base Def and Shell Armor, you are rather evil.
*cackles* Trent the Slowbro, Iron Defense, Calm Mind, Scald, Slack Off. I should build a proper team around him~

Oh, to keep from competitive talk too much,

I feel like too many Megas have Magic Bounce as their ability. I mean, it's cool and all, but damn. It is the most common Mega Ability.

And here I'm still having a blast remembering Alain hate of megaslowbro XD.

Yep it's not an unpopular opinion slowbro has one of the best designed Megas in a way it's so ridiculous it manages to be both cute and cool at the same time.

*cackles* Trent the Slowbro, Iron Defense, Calm Mind, Scald, Slack Off. I should build a proper team around him~

Oh, to keep from competitive talk too much,

I feel like too many Megas have Magic Bounce as their ability. I mean, it's cool and all, but damn. It is the most common Mega Ability.
I agree. Then there are the large amount with -ate abilities.

Aerialate and Refridgerate and Pixellate are the only ones, and even then only two Pokemon (lines) have each one. Megamence and Mega Pinsir, Amaura (line) and Mega Glalie, Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir respectively.
There's also Mega Altaria.
But yeah, I don't mind the -ate abilities because they're unique and new; and for something like that you should introduce a variety of Pokémon that get them so we can experience them. It just depends on how you do it.

There's also Mega Altaria.
But yeah, I don't mind the -ate abilities because they're unique and new; and for something like that you should introduce a variety of Pokémon that get them so we can experience them. It just depends on how you do it.
Ah, I did forget Mega Altaria. Whoops. But yeah, I just don't think they should make an -ate ability for every type. Just seems... excessive

Aerialate and Refridgerate and Pixellate are the only ones, and even then only two Pokemon (lines) have each one. Megamence and Mega Pinsir, Amaura (line) and Mega Glalie, Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir respectively.
I was counting them as a group.
5 Megas have some variant (Salamence, Pinsir, Glalie, Gardevoir, Altaria).
3 Megas have Magic Bounce (Sableye, Absol, Diancie)
That is what I meant.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Only 3 Mega Pokemon get Magic Bounce: Absol, Sableye, & Diancie. It's tied with Tough Claws (Charizard X, Aerodactyl, & Metagross).

So far I think they've done a good job keeping the Abilities varied. The problem is that not all Abilities are created equal, there are Abilities which are just flat out better than others. And so when you're making something called a MEGA Pokemon, I can imagine it being real easy to just slap on these really good Abilities and not a more situational one.

For example, how do you feel about the following Mega Pokemon and their Abilities:

Charizard X/Aerodactyl/Metagross (increases moves that make contact's Power by 33%)
Charizard Y w/ Drought (summons sunlight)
Gengar w/ Shadow Tag (prevents opponent from switching out)
Kangaskhan w/ Parental Bond (attacks with the same move twice, though second attack has half the Power)
Gyarados/Ampharos w/ Mold Breaker (ignores the opponent's Abilities when attacking)
Blaziken w/ Speed Boost (every turn increases Speed by +1 stage)
Mawile/Medicham w/ Huge Power/Pure Power (doubles Attack)
Aggron w/ Filter (reduces damage by Super Effective moves by 25%)
Absol/Sableye/Diancie w/ Magic Bounce (reflects back Status moves)
Lucario/Beedrill w/ Adaptability (increases STAB from 1.5x to 2x)
Camerupt w/ Sheer Force (exchanges a move's secondary effect for 30% more damage)

Man, these sound awesome, these are truly powerful Abilities and one can say some even make the Pokemon. So with that in mind, let's look at these:

Mewtwo X w/ Steadfast (raises Speed by +1 stage each time it Flinches)
Mewtwo Y w/ Insomnia (prevents Sleep)
Houndoom w/ Solar Power (in sunlight increases Special Attack by 50% but loses 1/8th of its max HP)
Manectric w/ Intimidate (lower's opponent's Attack stat by 1 stage entering battle)
Gallade w/ Inner Focus (prevents Flinching)
Audino w/ Healer (30% chance of healing ally's status condition each turn)

Err, not so great. They're situational at best though most of a time a non-factor. They might as well not have an Ability. Now they're still good Pokemon, but when you have other Mega Pokemon getting Abilities which power them up even further these poor fellows kind of lose some momentum. Like say they had these Abilities instead:

Mewtwo X w/ Mold Breaker
Mewtwo Y w/ Levitate (unaffected by Ground-type moves)
Houndoom w/ Flame Body (opponent has 30% of getting Burn if they make contact)
Manetric w/ Speed Boost
Gallade w/ Moxie (increases Attack by +1 stage when it knocks out an opponent)
Audino w/ Regenerator (heals 33% of its max HP when switching out)

Now this is what you'd imagine a Mega Pokemon would be like. These Abilities are far less situational and even exemplify the good qualities of these Pokemon. However each Pokemon is their own and some can take a lesser Ability and make it great. For example No Guard is a double-edged sword but Mega Pidgeot loves it for 100% accurate Hurricanes without needing rain. Scrappy is useful though normally overlooked, but on Mega Lopunny who's both a Normal and Fighting type its a valuable Ability as combined its STABs hit everything for at least neutral damage. Blastoise, Heracross, and Sharpedo may have gotten move specific Abilities in Mega Launcher, Skill Link, and Strong Jaw but they were given the moves to properly use these Abilities to full effect.

I'm getting a bit side tracked so let me get to my point: I don't mind if several Mega Pokemon end up sharing the same powerful Abilities. They're Mega Pokemon, they're suppose to be the best that Pokemon has to offer, so I'd rather it have an Ability that furthers it then them choosing another Ability just because a few Mega Pokemon already have that Ability. But that said, if they can think up of a unique use for that Mega Pokemon with a certain Ability I'm all for it too, as long as it still makes me say that Pokemon is a Mega Pokemon.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Man, these sound awesome, these are truly powerful Abilities and one can say some even make the Pokemon. So with that in mind, let's look at these:

stuff
Manectric w/ Intimidate (lower's opponent's Attack stat by 1 stage entering battle)
more stuff

Err, not so great. They're situational at best though most of a time a non-factor. They might as well not have an Ability. Now they're still good Pokemon, but when you have other Mega Pokemon getting Abilities which power them up even further these poor fellows kind of lose some momentum.
Dude, are you serious? Intimate is pretty good on Mega Manectric since it lets it stomach priority and screw with offensive teams in tandem with Volt Switch. I doubt it'd even like to have Speed Boost since it's already so fast.

Only 3 Mega Pokemon get Magic Bounce: Absol, Sableye, & Diancie. It's tied with Tough Claws (Charizard X, Aerodactyl, & Metagross).

So far I think they've done a good job keeping the Abilities varied. The problem is that not all Abilities are created equal, there are Abilities which are just flat out better than others. And so when you're making something called a MEGA Pokemon, I can imagine it being real easy to just slap on these really good Abilities and not a more situational one.

For example, how do you feel about the following Mega Pokemon and their Abilities:

Charizard X/Aerodactyl/Metagross (increases moves that make contact's Power by 33%)
Kangaskhan w/ Parental Bond (attacks with the same move twice, though second attack has half the Power)
Gyarados/Ampharos w/ Mold Breaker (ignores the opponent's Abilities when attacking)
Camerupt w/ Sheer Force (exchanges a move's secondary effect for 30% more damage)

Houndoom w/ Solar Power (in sunlight increases Special Attack by 50% but loses 1/8th of its max HP)

Err, not so great. They're situational at best though most of a time a non-factor. They might as well not have an Ability. Now they're still good Pokemon, but when you have other Mega Pokemon getting Abilities which power them up even further these poor fellows kind of lose some momentum. Like say they had these Abilities instead:

Mewtwo X w/ Mold Breaker
Manetric w/ Speed Boost

Now this is what you'd imagine a Mega Pokemon would be like. These Abilities are far less situational and even exemplify the good qualities of these Pokemon. However each Pokemon is their own and some can take a lesser Ability and make it great. For example No Guard is a double-edged sword but Mega Pidgeot loves it for 100% accurate Hurricanes without needing rain. Scrappy is useful though normally overlooked, but on Mega Lopunny who's both a Normal and Fighting type its a valuable Ability as combined its STABs hit everything for at least neutral damage. Blastoise, Heracross, and Sharpedo may have gotten move specific Abilities in Mega Launcher, Skill Link, and Strong Jaw but they were given the moves to properly use these Abilities to full effect.

I'm getting a bit side tracked so let me get to my point: I don't mind if several Mega Pokemon end up sharing the same powerful Abilities. They're Mega Pokemon, they're suppose to be the best that Pokemon has to offer, so I'd rather it have an Ability that furthers it then them choosing another Ability just because a few Mega Pokemon already have that Ability. But that said, if they can think up of a unique use for that Mega Pokemon with a certain Ability I'm all for it too, as long as it still makes me say that Pokemon is a Mega Pokemon.
I understand your point, but there could be a bit more variety without giving them bad abilities. Especially as there are plenty of really good abilities. Imagine a Mega with Contrary or Competitive/Defiant. Or even Multiscale. And you could even try Analytic, which can take advantage of the fact a Mega can be slower than its base form, boosting the other stats even higher. There are some cool ideas that are currently untapped.

Also, there are two cases that you said that I need to comment on:
1) In the case of Medicham and Blaziken, they normally have those abilities, so that doesn't really count for their Megas anymore than someone would count Technician on Mega Scizor.
2) In the case of the Mega Mewtwo, they were possibly trying less to make the obviously powerful Megas too powerful, similar to how many Legends have Pressure as their ability: they are still very, very powerful without an ability. Though those abilities are really weird choices and your ideas make more sense, especially Mold Breaker Mewtwo-X...which is what I use in Hackmons due to Sturdy Shedinja and WonderBalloon Mega Manetric...odd...

Mewtwo X w/ Mold Breaker
Manetric w/ Speed Boost

What? What's wrong with Manectric having intimidate?? I completely agree with Karx; Speed Boost is completely pointless - it's literally built to be a glass cannon that comes in and out, so I don't think you could actually give a more perfect ability to it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Alright, alright, so I was wrong about Intimidate (my thought that, after seeing Mega Manectric's Defense being at 80, while the Attack decrease would help it would only maybe keep it alive for an additional turn at most. Gave it Speed Boost since it's all about Speed, though I suppose 135 Speed does make it pointless (I was thinking Lightning Rod originally, it has it as a normal Ability)).

Actually, I think there should be someway for a Pokemon to retain its normal Ability after it Mega Evolves. Heck, there are a few Pokemon who lose access to an Ability their pre-evolution had, maybe find a way for them to have it too (WITH EXCEPTIONS. No Vital Spirit Slaking... hey does anyone think they should give Vigoroth an alternate evolution where it keeps its vivacity?).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Congratulations, you just found a way to make Mega Salamence even more ridiculously overpowered
You know my opinion on that. Do something that'll possibly break the metagame as we know it forcing players to adjust to a rapidly shifting change? Sure! That should be worth a few laughs, at least until the major threats are banned.

I remember sometime back I was yelled at for suggesting a Pokemon to get a certain move because it'll "break the metagame" but can't remember what it was. I want to say Slack Off Snorlax, maybe?

Mega Houndoom is shafted because it relies on good Sun Support of which there isn't many. It would have been AMAZING in Gen V, but without permasun it's kinda eh. There's really no good Pokemon that can summon sun in Doubles either - the only format where it could really abuse it. On the other hand, my friend and I had fun with a Multi-battle team revolving around Mega Charizard Y and Mega Houndoom. The Fire Blast from Mega Houndoom was ridiculous.

I dislike the competitive implications of confusion, paralysis, sleep, and freeze. Effectively any RNG effect that can have a massive impact. I feel that they should rework the statuses to avoid the heavy implication of missing a turn due to these statuses. (I'd rather it just be debuffs)

This isn't unpopular in a numbers sense but it is a very polarizing opinion.

However, I am perfectly okay with poor accuracy moves, OH-KO moves, and critical RNG based affairs.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky has some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen. Now don't get me wrong; I'm not criticizing the story here - a lot of people loved it and were touched by it and I can definitely see why. But oh dear was the dialogue a complete mess; it couldn't possibly talk down to and patronize the player more. Every little bit of slightly vague dialogue is immediately elaborated upon and dissected in great detail and your partner Pokémon seems to feel the need to restate the goddamn obvious at least three times even between completely different scenes. I realize it's intended for a slightly younger audience but kids are really not as stupid as to need this level of patronization.

Cerberax

Dancing through life
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want Mega Evolution to stay in Gen 6 and not be present in Gen 7. It's getting old and they need to keep on adding new Megas and complicating things even MORE just to keep it interesting - I say leave it in this generation. Also, I think Primal Reversion and Mega Rayquaza are the worst things that came out of Gen 6 - they're so gimmicky and so ridiculously overpowered, even by Mega Evolution standards. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority with the first one, dunno about the second.

Maybe Pokemon themselves are just that fucking stupid that they feel the need to explain things in horribly great details and repeat everything until they finally comprehend it.
That's just a thing I came to expect out of Japanese games. Yahtzee said it best with the phrase: "Nothing is said once when it can be said seven times"
They do it weirdly too. Some really obvious things get repeated for about 5 minutes when you got it the first line in, then very important plot lines, characterisation or weird battle mechanics get no mention at all.

The Japanese are weird.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)