The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Flacco is the AFC's Eli manning

except worse and more overpaid
We knew immediately after the first contract that it was either a three year contract or a nine year contract.

As mediocre as Flacco is, I suppose the unknown is far more scary. Since the cap hit is increasing by so much each year $20 million might be merely 10% of the cap by 2020 though, so it's not the worst deal in the world.

Roddy White is no longer a Falcon and I'm sad
Never like to see a great player go out with a whimper, but 43 catches and 500 yards is what you want out of a #3 or #4 receiver, not one with a huge cap hit and on the decline. Hell even the equally washed up Colston had a better season and would have had half the cap hit in 2016.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arian Foster bites the dust. Man all the vets are dropping like flies.

Also the Joe Flacco contract makes me happy because it just means the Ravens will be stuck with him for that much longer. Unfortunately the Ravens don't really have a choice because he's better than any draft prospect or free agent option, and they have to address the huge cap hit for this season.

Last edited:
Also, since the Ravens took the first shot, I'd like to point out that last year Kirk Cousins beat Joe Flacco's career highs in yards, yards per attempt, touchdowns, touchdown/int percentage, and completion percentage in his first full season as a starter. But hey, muh Super Bowl MVP :^)

Still is a Super Bowl MVP

nb4 "defense carried him" and "receivers bailed him out"
While its true that Joe Flacco bet on himself and was able to parlay his 2012 performance into a contract that made him the league's highest paid player,

its also true that in the 3 years since then hes had 1 winning season, 1 playoff win, 1 ACL tear and the 2nd lowest TD:INT ratio in the league behind only Geno Smith.

That hardly justifies him becoming the leagues the highest paid player again.

Hes not even a top 10 QB anymore

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also, since the Ravens took the first shot, I'd like to point out that last year Kirk Cousins beat Joe Flacco's career highs in yards, yards per attempt, touchdowns, touchdown/int percentage, and completion percentage in his first full season as a starter. But hey, muh Super Bowl MVP :^)
Joe may have looked like crap the last few years, but I don't see Matt Ryan's Superbowl MVP!!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah man fuck Matty Choke. Joe wouldn't squander having an all-world talent to throw to in Julio Jones
The best receivers he's had are past his prime Anquan Boldin, forever a #2 Torrey Smith and a geriatric Steve Smith. Matt Ryan has had prime Julio, late-prime Roddy and top 3 of all time. Maybe we'll end up with Treadwell this year, who knows?

On that note, who's excited for draft? As a Ravens fan, assuming Tunsil and a qb are locks to go before us, here's my board.

DeForest Buckner
Joey Boss
Jalen Ramsey
Myles Jack

Would be stoked with any of those four!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The best receivers he's had are past his prime Anquan Boldin, forever a #2 Torrey Smith and a geriatric Steve Smith.
You're underselling these guys a bit to pump up Flacco. I don't blame you obviously, but you don't really believe Anquan Boldin was 'past his prime' and Steve Smith was 'geriatric', do you? Those two clearly still had plenty to offer and showed it by quickly becoming the #1 WRs on their team by a mile. I agree with you on Torrey Smith though, he's definitely no more than a #2 guy.

Stallion

Tree Young
You're underselling these guys a bit to pump up Flacco. I don't blame you obviously, but you don't really believe Anquan Boldin was 'past his prime' and Steve Smith was 'geriatric', do you? Those two clearly still had plenty to offer and showed it by quickly becoming the #1 WRs on their team by a mile. I agree with you on Torrey Smith though, he's definitely no more than a #2 guy.
Anquan was easily past his prime. Now, maybe it has a little bit to do with Flacco not being a Kurt Warner level QB, but the guy was regularly putting up 1000 yard seasons pre Baltimore, and couldn't even reach that threshhold here. I feel like people overrate how good Boldin was for us because they remember his beastly playoff run.

Similarly for SSS, it's not like he's a useless receiver at the moment (quite the opposite), but despite the fact that he's had a HoF career, at this point of it, there's no way he's a #1 on most competent teams. At best he's a number 2 on a really good team, and that was pre injury.

At the end of the day, Flacco has had sweet fuck all in terms of receiving options in his career, when you consider what other teams have to work with. You're a Steelers fan who is spoilt with the Big Ben/Brown/Bryant trio so you wouldn't understand how frustrating it is as a fan.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At the end of the day Flacco has been competent and hasn't been in the business of losing us games. Worth it to lock that up when there's no easy way to upgrade externally.

Manning set to retire on Monday btw

Anquan was easily past his prime. Now, maybe it has a little bit to do with Flacco not being a Kurt Warner level QB, but the guy was regularly putting up 1000 yard seasons pre Baltimore, and couldn't even reach that threshhold here. I feel like people overrate how good Boldin was for us because they remember his beastly playoff run.
Anquan Boldin had two 1000 yard seasons in 2013-2014 after he left Baltimore, cmon bruh. I understand he's no Julio but 2013 was his best season since 2006. It's almost like... nah

At the end of the day Flacco has been competent and hasn't been in the business of losing us games. Worth it to lock that up when there's no easy way to upgrade externally.
You see, in my opinion that sets a team up to be good in only one way, defensively. Every team wants to be last year's Patriots or Panthers, top 5-10 in both offense and defense. Some teams like the Broncos can live with a mediocre offense as long as they had an elite defense. The Ravens had one, and they might get to that level again, but until then I don't see Joe carrying games even if they upgrade his skill positions to give him the chance to.

Meanwhile guys like Osweiler and Cousins (who I was originally talking about until someone ad hominem'd Matty Ice ^:) ) I feel have at least the potential to elevate to the next tier of quarterbacks, especially when you consider who will be gone three years from now. Yeah, there's no easy way to replace Joe, but with a top pick this year they'd have been in a good position to do it and had two good backup excuses (cap hit + he's hurt) if they wanted to go that direction, but I can't fault them for sticking with him. I just disagree!

Also thank gawd Peyton is gone, I was really worried he'd try to stick around for a year on the Rams or something.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
At the end of the day, Flacco has had sweet fuck all in terms of receiving options in his career, when you consider what other teams have to work with. You're a Steelers fan who is spoilt with the Big Ben/Brown/Bryant trio so you wouldn't understand how frustrating it is as a fan.
Flacco may not have had elite top 3 WRs in his career but it's also a bit extreme to say he's had "sweet fuck all" as well. Boldin's failure to reach 1,000 yards was more because the offense as a whole was not terribly productive, not due to him regressing. He wasn't just a beast in the playoffs, he was a beast in the regular season too. And he's always been a fantastic chain moving WR, he's just been saddled with mediocre QBs since Warner retired so he hasn't been able to reach full potential. Just look at Larry Fitzgerald.

Also don't forget that when Flacco came in the Ravens had one of the best receiving backs of that time named Ray Rice, who was a great checkdown for Joe and I suppose the reason he earned the nickname Captain Checkdown. Sure it's not a WR, but it's still a very reliable receiving option.

SSS could still be a #1 option on many teams right now, even at his age. He's got the passion and leadership for it, and he's still in excellent shape. The fact is that Joe Flacco absolutely thrives with that type of WR, which is why Ozzie has actively sought those types out (Boldin first and then Smith).

I think what you're missing is that Joe Flacco's perceived lack of receiving options is intentional, because that's how the GM and Coach have planned it out. They could very easily have gone out and grabbed a top 3 talent at some point, but they didn't because it wouldn't fit their style and it may not even be a good match with Flacco. And obviously it was a good plan, because the Ravens have a Lombardi under their belt and several playoff wins since Flacco arrived.

To your comment about Big Ben/Brown/Bryant, that's only very recent. When Big Ben was drafted and started playing in 2004, Pittsburgh had what, Heath Miller and Hines Ward? Hines Ward was basically SSS with less intensity. And after Ward retired Pittsburgh was relying on the likes of Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders to be their #1s until Brown had his breakout. So yeah, I'm also not as "spoilt" as you think.

The Eagles are finalizing deals to send Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell to the Dolphins and DeMarco Murray to the Titans.

So basically, this is the Eagles purging themselves from the Chip Kelly GM era (except for Bradford). The Eagles managing to pull all of this off considering the terrible years those three players had and the bloated contracts that Murray and Maxwell have is surprising.

Don't look now, but Tennessee got some offensive weapons...

Mariota
Murray
Wright
DGB
Walker

Details of the Murray trade are still unknown, but if the Titans get to keep their #1 overall pick, they're almost assuredly going Tunsil to patch up a terrible o-line and keep Mariota upright and open holes for Murray.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
It doesn't surprise me as the Dolphins brass has made no secret over the last couple years that they are willing to overpay for talent. The Eagles are making out like bandits being able to offload these guys and their contracts so they'll have the cap space to start from scratch. They're probably going to need another RB though for when Mathews breaks in Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)