[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

Ehh alright why not xD.

Golem(Rock head. Was supposed to be Sturdy but didn't notice in time ;;)(Explosion, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Earthquake)
Dragonite(Multiscale)(Dragon Dance, Aqua Tail, Dragon Claw, Earthquake)
Jolteon(Volt Absorb)(Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Volt Switch)
Chansey(Natural Cure)(Minimize, Softboiled, Toxic, Seismic Toss)
Gyarados(Moxie)(Dragon Dance, Outrage, Ice Fang, Crunch)
Gengar(Levitate)(Shadow Ball, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Dazzling Gleam)

I tried my best for this, but i think i should of researched more xD, any criticism helps xD (Im still glad i get the barrier dragonite <3)
A lot of your pokemon have ineffective coverage. Dragonite having aqua tail and earthquake doesn't accomplish much since they are both hitting rock and fire types. Something like extremespeed for priority or iron head to hit clefable would be better than aqua tail. Gyarados has no STAB, which really weakens its power. Waterfall is actually just as powerful as Outrage with STAB and doesn't lock you in and it is also unnecessary to have outrage when you already have ice fang to hit dragonite. Gengar probably didn't need both psychic and dazzling gleam, and something like sub or taunt could have been more useful. Minimize Chansey is not too effective since it can't touch gengar, and no guard machamp destroys it and it can't boost its special attack so other mons with rest can stall along with it. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
A lot of your pokemon have ineffective coverage. Dragonite having aqua tail and earthquake doesn't accomplish much since they are both hitting rock and fire types. Something like extremespeed for priority or iron head to hit clefable would be better than aqua tail. Gyarados has no STAB, which really weakens its power. Waterfall is actually just as powerful as Outrage with STAB and doesn't lock you in and it is also unnecessary to have outrage when you already have ice fang to hit dragonite. Gengar probably didn't need both psychic and dazzling gleam, and something like sub or taunt could have been more useful. Minimize Chansey is not too affective since it can't touch gengar and it can't boost its special attack so other mons with rest can stall along with it. Just my thoughts.
I was told HM's were bad so i tried to avoid them xD, the chansey was able to actually 1v6 some teams and other times just gets knocked out right away.... the issue i kept running into seemed to be Machamp, plus figuring out when to switch out :o
Thanks tho for the input~ ill remember to have my moves more spread out xD

Untitled.png

I just played two games for day 3 and I'm satisfied with my approximate score of somewhere in the 1730s. I've had a lot of fun participating in this tournament going 19-3 overall. I....I don't know why Starmie is in a master ball. My friend gave me his because I was running out of time breeding and I needed a battle-ready Starmie >->

Shoutout to the very first Pokemon to ever be programmed into the Pokemon games, my girl Rhydon. She wins the MVP award of the team. I got so hyped when she either cleaned a team after a Rock Polish, landed a Stone Edge through a Dragonite's Iron Head (she didn't miss with stone edge ONCE 0: ) or landed a Horn Drill to take out a fat wall or a No Guard Machamp thinking it was slick. Also shoutout to Articuno for helping me beat a Japanese player that was ranked 1760 by landing two almost consecutive Sheer Colds lmao

We were very weak to Gengars and Dragonites but we managed wherever we could. Snorlax can tank hits and rest off the burns while Starmie was my go-to revenge killer for that ghoul.

I would like to thank John Cena Machamp for 1v1ing a Slowbro with a combination of Toxic, confusion and Stone Edge and being the sole priority move user of the team. Without Bullet Punch and if my Starmie was dead, I couldn't do crap to weakened Gengars.

Lastly, shoutouts to the Queen of Kanto Classic. She got up hazards and was literally the only Pokemon I had that could take on Shell Smash Cloyster besides T-Wave Starmie lmao.

Good luck to you all! =D

Ehh alright why not xD.

Golem(Rock head. Was supposed to be Sturdy but didn't notice in time ;;)(Explosion, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Earthquake)
Dragonite(Multiscale)(Dragon Dance, Aqua Tail, Dragon Claw, Earthquake)
Jolteon(Volt Absorb)(Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Volt Switch)
Chansey(Natural Cure)(Minimize, Softboiled, Toxic, Seismic Toss)
Gyarados(Moxie)(Dragon Dance, Outrage, Ice Fang, Crunch)
Gengar(Levitate)(Shadow Ball, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Dazzling Gleam)

I tried my best for this, but i think i should of researched more xD, any criticism helps xD (Im still glad i get the barrier dragonite <3)
Another thing I should add is you probably needed something to deal with Snorlax (who can run wild with no fighting moves around, even if it's a non-boosting Lax) and a Poke to sap up physical hits for Chansey.

I personally would have looked into intimidate on Gyra and a more defensive set/nature while giving him T-wave, Roar (for annoying boosting Clefs) + 2 attacking moves, but he functions poorly as a wall in this meta due to his lack of a recovery move and no lefties, so maybe something more conventional like Slowbro or Arcanine in another slot to allow you to keep offensive Gyra while still having a emergency switch in for physical attackers.

I was told HM's were bad so i tried to avoid them xD, the chansey was able to actually 1v6 some teams and other times just gets knocked out right away.... the issue i kept running into seemed to be Machamp, plus figuring out when to switch out :o
Thanks tho for the input~ ill remember to have my moves more spread out xD
Most HMs are horrible, but some of the best ones for competitive use are Water type (Surf and Waterfall).

The ones to stay away from are rock smash and strength. I cringe when ever I see these moves used in a competitive battle>_<.

Another thing I should add is you probably needed something to deal with Snorlax (who can run wild with no fighting moves around, even if it's a non-boosting Lax) and a Poke to sap up physical hits for Chansey.

I personally would have looked into intimidate on Gyra and a more defensive set/nature while giving him T-wave, Roar (for annoying boosting Clefs) + 2 attacking moves, but he functions poorly as a wall in this meta due to his lack of a recovery move and no lefties, so maybe something more conventional like Slowbro or Arcanine in another slot to allow you to keep offensive Gyra while still having a emergency switch in for physical attackers.

Most HMs are horrible, but some of the best ones for competitive use are Water type (Surf and Waterfall).

The ones to stay away from are rock smash and strength. I cringe when ever I see these moves used in a competitive battle>_<.
Ive just been waiting out snorlax with seismic toss and toxic lol, it would help if i had a fighting xD. One thing i cant seem to figure out was two things, the machamp being able to tank a crit psychic from yellow hp and remain in yellow hp (plus being able to one shot my jolteon with Bullet Punch), but a english zapdos having static :o i thought that was a japan event pokemon lol

Done for me, was aiming for low 1600s (first tournament and am not a battler...) and got there, so fairly satisfied :-) though it pales in comparison to all of you xD

Was a load of fun and I really enjoyed playing with all the old and oh so nostalgic Mons :-D

Competition Update and Other Stuff!
So first, I'm now at 11-4, which I think is pretty good for my first competition. It's about 1570 or 1580. Tons of people in the Junior League are using Charizard and Blastoise along with Venusaur, even though they aren't very good. After a stealth rock, I can KO Charizard with basically every move. And Dragonite is insane! I would have won one of the battles if my Golem's Stone Edge didn't miss FOUR TIMES IN A ROW!!!
Leading Golem is 9 times out of 10 what I do, because you get a guaranteed SR or Explosion.

Ive just been waiting out snorlax with seismic toss and toxic lol, it would help if i had a fighting xD. One thing i cant seem to figure out was two things, the machamp being able to tank a crit psychic from yellow hp and remain in yellow hp (plus being able to one shot my jolteon with Bullet Punch), but a english zapdos having static :o i thought that was a japan event pokemon lol
As much as I hate to think it, the Zapdos was probably a hack. You'll know if see that trainer's rankings removed. As annoying as it is, this why the pentagon rule exists because with transfer, it's just too easy to hack what you want and send it to Gen 6.

As far as the Machamp, that thing's surprisingly bulky, so I assume it was EV'ed for max health and you got min damage on the crit (which only has a 25% chance to score a KO). The only other thing I can think of is to check the IVs on Gengar. I noticed my Altaria wasn't scoring the KOs it was supposed to, even after getting a D-Dance up, and turns out she only had a 7 Attack IV. I've become borderline OCD about IVs ever since.

Now I'm currently playing with something with suspect ones, but more on that later as I don't want to jinx it.

Done for me, was aiming for low 1600s (first tournament and am not a battler...) and got there, so fairly satisfied :-) though it pales in comparison to all of you xD

Was a load of fun and I really enjoyed playing with all the old and oh so nostalgic Mons :-D
Ditto (no pun intended)! I'm more of a casual competitive player (as much of an oxymoron as that sounds XD ), so I was perfectly happy going 8-0 on my first day and landing in the 1600's.
It was fun; I was up against most people who knew what they were doing (with the exception of maybe two), nobody ragequit and flipped their WiFi switch, and no OHKO moves were used by my opponents.

Part of me really wants to continue on this last day because I feel I can climb higher with my team, but I'm in the Masters division; I know I'll start to match up against a lot of OHKO users, and that's no fun.

To each their own, but when I was team testing on PS, I did try out a team with a Sheer Cold Articuno...I used the move only as a "panic" button, and it still felt cheap. To me, OHKOing feels cheap to use (and a hollow victory if I win), and cheap to play against. If they had banned OHKO moves, I definitely would have played all three days.

I've found my solution to Shell Smash Cloy. Anything slower than it before the Shell Smash can get a really nice hit on it after its defenses go down. Then you clean it up with priority due to its weakened defenses. Or anything fast that has a SE special type move on it. Got in another five battles, I'm 12 : 3 now and am feeling pretty good. I probably wont have time to complete the thirty battles but I'll try to shoot for a 1700s rating. (right now I'm upper-mid 1600s I think)

Whats a good Elo ranking?

I've found my solution to Shell Smash Cloy. Anything slower than it before the Shell Smash can get a really nice hit on it after its defenses go down. Then you clean it up with priority due to its weakened defenses. Or anything fast that has a SE special type move on it. Got in another five battles, I'm 12 : 3 now and am feeling pretty good. I probably wont have time to complete the thirty battles but I'll try to shoot for a 1700s rating. (right now I'm upper-mid 1600s I think)

Whats a good Elo ranking?
That's great except sometimes they choose to attack!

But anyway, I'm 13-3 so far with only 1 cheap loss. Doubt I'll be able to finish since I started my matches on Saturday.

Last edited:
So I rarely post here, but it was a very fun competition.
Ended up 20-10, slightly disappointed because of few unlucky loss but fair match for the most part.

My team:

Zapdos with double Team put the work, stalling PP making useless some very dangerous treat playing with Hax. Toxic + Pressure make me won a lot of matches, especially when I had no option to counter curselax and magic guard stalling Fairy.

Surprised to have seen so few slowbro, considering how useful and good it was, but high ladder tend to have it in their team.

Machamp is a champ, Poison jab wasn't that good for what it was designed to do(3 hit to actually kill clefa), but dynamic punch and stone edge were really OP and unsafe for most poke. And mine was a bit specialy defensive with rest.

Alakazam and his speed was really useful, he was my only mon with no recovery, so i put him to get rid of annoying poke

Snorlax, was tanking anything special, sleep talking, body slamming everything.

Clefable, was a support poke, stealth Roc, Heal bell, was pretty useful especially with rest on machamp, and ice beam to sometime deal some damage.

The repartition of Pokemon was slightly surprising.

A lot of arcanine, but I found this Pokemon not very optimal when you have the Core Slowbro-snorlax-Clefa, i had Zero problem with it.
A lot of dragonite and gyrados with the classic Dragon dance, that slowbro handled most of the time.
Not that much clefa, but I really did not like faced them especially when you have to figure out their ability and quickly.
Venusaur was problematic with sleep and all his recovery move.

Sets seen:

Gimmick set less frequent around 1600 1700.
I have seen Belly drum/Flame charge magmar.(Thanks unaware)
Baton Pass Acid armor into magneton put me in a lots of trouble.
A high ranked Japanese with body slam... and facade on his snorlax, took me off guard and he became a slow sweeper when I paralyzed it... lol.
Double team clefable and rest... I actually wanted to do this because minimize is highly anticipated but Double team is something else if you aren't ready.

I lost a match because I didn't PP max all my moves... so I have to think about it next time, but it's infuriating, when they are Max PP and very certainly injected.

I did few match on PS, and replicated this team because I was comfortable with it, could had a much better score but ok for a first tournament.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I somehow finished all my matches.

I went 25-5, probably ended around 1750ish. Almost broke 1800, but I unfortunately ran into some bad luck. I guess I shouldn't complain though, I had 3 Pokemon with OHKO moves lol.

I'll post more about it when I feel better.

I'm currently out right now, and when I get home I'll have about 2 hours until closing time. So basically speed matches all the way

Alright day 3! "Used sleep stress at Japanese player. Japanese player need to sleep. Japanese used Rage Quit"

Done with third day, and got a 26-4 with my games. I don't remember the rating, but maybe +1740. This one was time stalling, seriously, like every team I battled was a japanese team, they used OHKO moves from Lapras, Dugtrio, Articuno and Snorlax. But that wasn't the problem. The major issue were the Clefables. Too much Cosmic power! But I got it with time stalling...urgh. I lost to some variants of Slowbro and Clefable using substitute and to venomoth team. There was one Japanese the used 4 pokemons with OHKO moves….curse on him xD

Here is my team:
Kanto classic team.jpg

I knew at the beggining of this meta, Stalling and machamp were going to be big threats. So what was the best stall breaker? Guts Machamp! It worked super well, I wanted to see ppls faces when they WoW'ed my Machamp and then sweep the entire team. But for that I needed a Speed control. Slowbro was the guy. I decided to use Own Tempo on it so I could safe switch against a Machamp and spread Thunder Wave. Clefable was my healer and rock setter (pretty common). I decided to run Snorlax with max SpDef to eat Jolteon and Zapdos attacks, Crunch was needed because of Gengar and Alakazan.
The big shine of my team, Exeggutor. Man It detroyed a lot. With Speed Ev to bypass ninetales under sun and the 28 Spe Clef, I stalled a lot with it. Since there wasn't Sleep Clause I abused it, avoiding many OHKO moves and putting pressure with Leech Seed. I wanted it just for Slowbro and Vaporeon Counters but it shown to be the MVP of many battles. I don't remember the exactly EV of it, but it is Bulky offense, enough to destroy Bold Venusaur after rocks and still eat a sludge bomb (if it wasn't full offense, of course).

And the top usage percentage (from my battles and the 3 days) including my team (31 teams):

1° Dragonite 64,5%
2° Slowbro & Clefable 42,0%
3° Alakazan & Snorlax 38,9%
4° Nidoking 35,5%
5° Jolteon 32,2%
6° Arcanine, Gengar & Machamp 19,6%
7° Aerodactyl, Lapras & Gyarados 16,1%

That's it, I hope GF give us a Johto Classic next time! :)

HOLY CRAP! I just won a battle against someone from Japan with a 1600+ rating... with TWO of my Pokemon getting frozen!!! O.O

So turns out a few of the disconnects i had became wins o-o, i checked my final record and had 15-15, not the best but not the worst i guess xD but back at 1500. Was a pleasant surprise, but im so glad i got a video recorded of my chansey and her clutch win with toxic <3

Congrats to your son! He could very well have made it to top 10! 0:
That 1 loss today was tough for him. He faced 3 opponents with a 1700+ ranking and lost to 1. It was a tough loss also. Him and his opponent down to their last Pokémon and his opponnet held on with like 3-5 HP. So close

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Does anyone know when the results will be available and when we'll get the Barrier Dragonite entry codes?

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I finally started playing the Comp today (My current record is 13-1 with a 1660+ rating, and to think that I haven't played Singles since B2W2 OU lol) but I'd like to know if anyone knows at what time (in GMT -5) the Comp ends? Just to see if I can organize my time to do my uni homework and see if I can finish my remaining matches later in the night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)