[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
I finally started playing the Comp today (My current record is 13-1 with a 1660+ rating, and to think that I haven't played Singles since B2W2 OU lol) but I'd like to know if anyone knows at what time (in GMT -5) the Comp ends? Just to see if I can organize my time to do my uni homework and see if I can finish my remaining matches later in the night.
Not sure about the ending time exactly in GMT -5 but I'm pretty sure the tournament ends in an hour and a half

I finally started playing the Comp today (My current record is 13-1 with a 1660+ rating, and to think that I haven't played Singles since B2W2 OU lol) but I'd like to know if anyone knows at what time (in GMT -5) the Comp ends? Just to see if I can organize my time to do my uni homework and see if I can finish my remaining matches later in the night.
87 minutes from this comment.

13-5 and as I expected, not making room for taunt and /or phaser was a huge mistake nearly all my losses on day 3 came from comic Clefs(one with quiver Dance Baton Pass moth and a sub, so I couldn't paralyze it). I thought Unaware Clef could get me through them, but I found out the hard way it still gets the Stored Power boost regardless(wtf). I also faced a team with all shinies with only 5 eggs hatched.

The Moth passer was super interesting too as the account had no PP UP's used and I swear he used Stored Power like 20 times (max is 16), Twice on my pressure Zapdos, so I don't know what the hell was going on there. Smart move for anyone who got hot out the gate and just quit playing on day 2.

So I had fun at the start, honestly, battles sort of became a chore after like the 10th one. If they do hold another 6v6 tour, they seriously need to consider knocking the timer down to 30 minutes as a lot of players started timer stalling when it was 100% clear they were going lose and a few even started time stall when it was a clear win in some cases.

It would also be preferred if they would ban OKHO moves, but I know it'll never happen. Plus based off what I've seen today, it's clear the pentagon rule is in dire need of a comeback for the next 6v6. I know it's not perfect, but at least clearly hacked mons weren't popping up when it was in play.

That's it, I hope GF give us a Johto Classic next time! :)
That would be great as a lot of the best stall breakers were introduced in gen 2, and Stored Power wouldn't = auto win, even on my own Unaware Clef (just frustration talking lol. I was duly warned that thing was borderline broken in this format, I just didn't listen).

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
13-5 and as I expected, not making room for taunt and /or phaser was a huge mistake nearly all my losses on day 3 came from comic Clefs(one with quiver Dance Baton Pass moth and a sub, so I couldn't paralyze it). I thought Unaware Clef could get me through them, but I found out the hard way it still gets the Stored Power boost regardless(wtf). I also faced a team with all shinies with only 5 eggs hatched.

The Moth passer was super interesting too as the account had no PP UP's used and I swear he used Stored Power like 20 times (max is 16), Twice on my pressure Zapdos, so I don't know what the hell was going on there. Smart move for anyone who got hot out the gate and just quit playing on day 2.

So I had fun at the start, honestly, battles sort of became a chore after like the 10th one. If they do hold another 6v6 tour, they seriously need to consider knocking the timer down to 30 minutes as a lot of players started timer stalling when it was 100% clear they were going lose and a few even started time stall when it was a clear win in some cases.

It would also be preferred if they would ban OKHO moves, but I know it'll never happen. Plus based off what I've seen today, it's clear the pentagon rule is in dire need of a comeback for the next 6v6. I know it's not perfect, but at least clearly hacked mons weren't popping up when it was in play.

That would be great as a lot of the best stall breakers were introduced in gen 2, and Stored Power wouldn't = auto win, even on my own Unaware Clef (just frustration talking lol. I was duly warned that thing was borderline broken in this format, I just didn't listen).
Just cause their records were a bit odd doesn't necessarily mean they cheated. I've barely played ORAS at all and haven't used any PP ups or hatched any eggs in it but I've got a few shinies on my team and everything is bred to be penta/hexaflawless. I just prepped everything in XY beforehand and moved the mons to ORAS after I finished. Although if those players did cheat, they'll probably have their scores removed anyway

Ending score| W: 20 -L: 10

Had a lot of fun. I had a hard team to play well with but I think I was doing very well for the most part. One match near the end was lost because I forgot about Sucker-Punch Golem. Was a stupid brain fart to cost me a game. Other loses were mostly my fault; either bad switching or not switching, don't think I faced a team I couldn't have beat. RNG hax seemed to slightly favor me with me getting a few freeze's, some pretty accurate Sleep Powder, and important flinches. However, opponents seemed to get a few more crits than I did, and I did get probably about an equal level of secondary effect statuses.

Biggest surprises were facing bulky Alakazam's and Arcanine. Beyond that most threats felt expected.

upload_2016-3-6_18-42-28.png

Very proud of bringing in Primeape. Never got the chance to use Vital Spirit though. His 'Final Gambit' really confused and set off balance a lot of top tier teams (particularily Dnites that DD, injured Clefables, or anything I felt like I needed to OHKO). But the best members had to be Jolteon (with Wish he always won against others Jolteons) and Aero. The matches I lost were lost mostly because of losing them early.

Figure I might as well post my battle box...
I had bred a pichu with HP Ice a while back on accident when trying to get better IVs for the Pikachu Cup, so I used that one for the competition. It actually tore through quite a few 'mons.

Decided to play a couple more battles...went 11-1 in the mid 1600's (the one loss could have been a win if I wasn't being haxed up the wazoo; constantly critted, my opponent's low accuracy moves landing each and every time, the turning point in order to take back control of the match where I needed my opponent's pokemon to stay asleep for the initial turn plus an additional turn denied as it woke up the very next turn, etc). Once I had that battle, I did one more (where I once again got haxed a lot, though I managed to pull out of it with some predictions...and the hax wasn't nearly as bad as my losing match)...and then stopped. Once you start getting haxed a lot, it pretty much continues for a while on that bad luck streak.

I really wanted to continue, cause again, I knew my team could go higher, but I didn't want more hax frustration or to run into OHKO teams. I lost a battle I should have won...yea, that was all for me. Like I said...once I start to have a bad day with getting critted back to back and haxed like crazy, it tends to continue for the rest of the day.

PS: I also went up against someone with shinies and only 9 hatched eggs (ironically, it was the one loss I got).

Last edited:
Just cause their records were a bit odd doesn't necessarily mean they cheated. I've barely played ORAS at all and haven't used any PP ups or hatched any eggs in it but I've got a few shinies on my team and everything is bred to be penta/hexaflawless. I just prepped everything in XY beforehand and moved the mons to ORAS after I finished. Although if those players did cheat, they'll probably have their scores removed anyway
I'm just bitter lol, but you never know. That's why I like the Penta rule as it leaves less of a question.
Even so, I made a critical mistake in taking Starmie over Gengar.

You know you f'ed up in team building when they lead with the Poke they know you have no solid answer for with no prior set up. I laddered the a personal best with my team as currently build on Showdown(about mid-50's), but honestly, a team with no true clef counter (other than hope she para flinches from Iron Head) was doomed from the start.

I'll still post iy as I loved building it outside of than one huge mistake.

Edit: And just looked trough my Global link account and I notice a lot of "User not found"s, so if I see that were that particular trainer used to be, and Game Freak posts that "Actions Taken toward Players Using Unauthorized Game Data" message again, I'll assume it's pretty much a confirmation.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this might have been a hack test to decide rather a similar ban on transferred Pokemon will exist in Sun and Moon.

PS: I also went up against someone with shinies and only 9 hatched eggs (ironically, it was the one loss I got).
Was the trainer from Alabama? If so, that's the one I faced.

Last edited:
Managed to do far, far better than I excepted! :)

It was my first proper competition where I actually tried, so I was aiming for 1600 (which at first seemed pretty huge). I managed to get high 1600s almost 1700. Only reason I didn't hit 1700 was because my second to last match was against this 1806 rated guy from Japan. I tried, but this is my first competition so he ended up owning me 4-0, lol.

I think my ratio was something like 21 wins:9 losses, maybe it was 22:8 but I honestly can't remember. Looking forward to seeing how I did in the rankings, at least in Australia. :)

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Welp I didn't play as much as I'd hoped for when this was announced but I got a decent score of 6-1 + some epic battles so I can't complain. Here's my team:

I went for a bulky offensive team. Snorlax was by far my MVP carrying games on its own while Alakazam was perfect at getting rid of those pesky Gengar, I'm also glad I decided to pickup a slightly bulkier spread for him since it allowed me to tank Dragonite's E-Speed with 3HP left from 100HP thus giving me the victory right there, also Encore managed to shut down Stallers like Clefable/Chansey/Zapdos. Slowbro's paralysis also proved to be extremely valuable while some people had no clue what to do against magneton although I never really had the chance to use the Rest/Talk combo with it *sigh* However the threat of Flash Cannon did keep enemy clefable's at bay (one of them going all way down to the OHKO surprisingly).
Finally Machamp didn't see that much use either, but Toxic helped me get past some annoying slowbros in the long run.

How does one find out if a match was a disconnect or not in Global Link? I had just one but it was a good battle that probably was going my way.

How does one find out if a match was a disconnect or not in Global Link? I had just one but it was a good battle that probably was going my way.
Did it say "Communication has interrupted with the other trainer"?

If so, they DC'ed. When ever I got the other message, the loss was counted on my end.

Thanks. They dc'd then I think. The global link is also saying the last battle I fought I lost (going by history) ... pretty sure I didn't. Maybe it needs to update? I keep a physical copy of my battles as they happen... I know I won. It only is telling me I fought 29 battles too.

When a hacker's Alakazam used Trick, I lost it. (I won too)
I met the guy with unnever aerodactyl too

Btw did this over yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got disconnected as well. It might just have been the end of the competition that booted you off.

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks. They dc'd then I think. The global link is also saying the last battle I fought I lost (going by history) ... pretty sure I didn't. Maybe it needs to update? I keep a physical copy of my battles as they happen... I know I won. It only is telling me I fought 29 battles too.
The Global Link takes a while to update the matches and scores check again later.

I had a hard team to play well with but I think I was doing very well for the most part. One match near the end was lost because I forgot about Sucker-Punch Golem. Was a stupid brain fart to cost me a game.
Um, I think that might have been me as I recognise that team. Was using my OT Marill game as working out which of Golem's moves to select in my French game caused a bit of a translation issue for me.

Didn't get many battles in as I was still finalising my two teams today but those I had I enjoyed. Ended up with 3 wins & 1 loss on my English OT Marill game and my French OT Konowa3 game.

Edit: Forgot to ask if there were any improvements I could have made. Still new at teambuilding so comments are appreciated.

Attachments

Um, I think that might have been me as I recognise that team. Was using my OT Marill game as working out which of Golem's moves to select in my French game caused a bit of a translation issue for me.
Would have been neat if it was, I know I must have faced at least one Smogonite, but the team I faced had Snorlax, Alakazam, Gyrados, Nidoking, Machamp, as well as the Golem.

I'd say it'd be hard to nit-pick that team really without knowing the EV spreads. Otherwise its a pretty solid team with most of the key threats dealt with. Looks like SlowBro could have bothered you though.

And as far as I recall if the tournament ends your battle still commences. This means that theoretically someone can still be battling right now.

I pulled through in the end, up to 18-5 about 1700 rating. I hope I'll make top 100 in the Junior League, but not sure

Would have been neat if it was, I know I must have faced at least one Smogonite, but the team I faced had Snorlax, Alakazam, Gyrados, Nidoking, Machamp, as well as the Golem.

I'd say it'd be hard to nit-pick that team really without knowing the EV spreads. Otherwise its a pretty solid team with most of the key threats dealt with. Looks like SlowBro could have bothered you though.
Yeah, would be great to know if I faced another Smogonite.

With the EV spreads I just used the ones from the Kanto Classic article (many thanks to the writers). Strangely enough Rest/Talk Snorlax was the most problematic (had trouble predicting switching Machamp in), then Venusaur and finally Slowbro.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Had to finish prematurely last night (lol) as I needed to get some sleep before going to work today (I read somewhere that 4 hours is enough...). I was having a lot of fun, contrary to my reactions in the PS chat when I lost, and would have loved to keep playing to see how far I could get. I really liked my team too because a) it was winning, and b) it was basically a team of my gen 1 favourites and kinda felt like an in-game team to some extent. I'll be back to post the full thing later but in short I was using 3 RestTalk users; Articuno, Magneton and Seaking, and Golem, Clefable and Starmie. I hated seeing Venusaur, but Articuno was able to beat them all. I had 1 legitimate loss to someone running a really clever stall team with Substitute Chansey and Own Tempo Slowbro, and 2 losses to terrible hax (a Gengar hitting all its Hypnosis's and spamming Hex behind a sub (took out half my team, which wouldn't have happened if Rock Blast hit 3 times or more lol), and a Dragonite critting my Starmie on the switch when all I needed to do was T wave it to win), so instead of scratching 1700 I think I'll be in the 1640's with 12-3. I'll be back later to post my full team but for now zzzzzzzz

My Alpha Sapphire game has like 4 eggs hatched and no PP ups etc used because I do all of that on my Y cart (and I have several legit, competitive shinies too). He probably did the same thing. No explanation for the many uses of Stored Power other than a miscount. Something like that would 100% be detected by the legality checker.

edit: said Seaking twice, I had bulky Starmie...

Last edited:
Had to finish prematurely last night (lol) as I needed to get some sleep before going to work today (I read somewhere that 4 hours is enough...). I was having a lot of fun, contrary to my reactions in the PS chat when I lost, and would have loved to keep playing to see how far I could get. I really liked my team too because a) it was winning, and b) it was basically a team of my gen 1 favourites and kinda felt like an in-game team to some extent. I'll be back to post the full thing later but in short I was using 3 RestTalk users; Articuno, Magneton and Seaking, and Golem, Clefable and Seaking. I hated seeing Venusaur, but Articuno was able to beat them all. I had 1 legitimate loss to someone running a really clever stall team with Substitute Chansey and Own Tempo Slowbro, and 2 losses to terrible hax (a Gengar hitting all its Hypnosis's and spamming Hex behind a sub (took out half my team), and a Dragonite critting my Starmie on the switch when all I needed to do was T wave it to win), so instead of scratching 1700 I think I'll be in the 1640's with 12-3. I'll be back later to post my full team but for now zzzzzzzz

My Alpha Sapphire game has like 4 eggs hatched and no PP ups etc used because I do all of that on my Y cart (and I have several legit, competitive shinies too). He probably did the same thing. No explanation for the many uses of Stored Power other than a miscount. Something like that would 100% be detected by the legality checker.
Yeah, I really wish I had saved it now that I think about it.

I notice he started time stalling on the last few turns after spamming it and he stopped using it, so I assumed that was it because my Zapdos managed to take two of them with Pressure which takes away 4 PP I believe, then his turns got fast again and he took out two more of my mons with it.

I'm ashamed to say, I DC'd when he KO'ed my Clef because Machamp was sleep and he was timer stalling anyway.

Edit: Also even if they did do a lot of prep in X&Y, I still don't know why anyone wouldn't want to breed on the battle resort since it's much better.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)