UU Analysis Discussion Thread

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heavy Slam and Iron Head might use a mention on defensive Bronzong since they 2HKO Calm Mind Florges and don't get PP stalled by SubRoost Kyurem respectively.

Sucker Punch could be slashed on Nasty Plot Mega Houndoom since it makes revenge killing more difficult, particularly from Life Orb Alakazam.

The analyses of Pursuit users Escavalier and Mega Aerodactyl could mention Alakazam as an key target of Pursuit.

The Azelf all-out attacking lead set (SR and 3 attacks) with Life Orb could use a mention. It often runs Dazzling Gleam to catch Sableye that hope to prevent rocks with Taunt.

could i write up a stealth rock azelf set w/ life orb? been using it on a team i made, and it's really solid. set is stealth rock / psychic / fire blast / dazzling gleam. been getting into uu, shoutout nv, and think it should be on the analysis! i noticed it's in oo, but i do feel it deserves a main set. n_n

talked to some people in the uu room also, and they said here is probably the right place to discuss it. also warzoid did bring it up in the post above, i'd be willing to write it if he would not~

could i write a choice specs tangrowth set? it's seen a lot of usage in UU lately and its a really good set if you've yet to use it. there isn't even a mention of choice specs in the analysis with saddens me and diminishes my happiness.

offensive lure tentacruel is one to consider as well possibly

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
could i write a choice specs tangrowth set? it's seen a lot of usage in UU lately and its a really good set if you've yet to use it. there isn't even a mention of choice specs in the analysis with saddens me and diminishes my happiness.

offensive lure tentacruel is deserving of one too as it's very anti-metagame at the moment, if this isn't the right place to discuss it then i apologize.
I agree specs Tangrowth is very good ATM, it is a nice mix of Shaymin and Roserade but provides Regenerator which is nice for a wallbreaker since it is usually forced to switch out after using a Leaf Storm.

Lure Tenta I am less sure about though.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Double posting but does it really matter?

Currently Mega Swampert is better than standard Swampert so shouldn't that mean that Rain Sweeper should be the first set?

Also could there be an expansion on Mega Swampert's Rain Sweeper team options? It could be touched more upon than just: cleric, rain partners, defog. Chesnaught and Roserade for example can provide Spikes for Swampert and sort of deal with bulky water-types while also enjoying the removal of Fire-types. Pokemon that stop Suicune like Heliolisk and CM Reuniclus.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Just flat out saying that rain sweeper mega pert sets are better than regular swampert is a pretty naive thing to say. They are completely different mons in terms of what they provide for teams so I would probably say no for making RD pert the first set.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Reg pert is more splashable and more common so no it shouldn't be changed. They do different things but rain pert typically only fits on certain offenses that eschew other viable mega options like Aero / Bee / Scep and with Gyara having not long been in the tier, could actually be argued to have become worse lately whereas standard rocker is standard and does what it always did well.

Azelf set mentioned at the top of the page is good and viable and should be on its analysis. Specs Tangrowth is meh, I'd rather use Shaymin in 90% of cases.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Even though I have no real power over this, I want to bring up the possibility of removing Mega Banette's analysis. It is frankly a very high risk, low reward Pokemon that has such a minimal effect on the battle for its cost of a Mega slot, let alone a teamslot in general. Considering UU is a tier with so many Megas available for use, Mega Banette has a high opportunity cost with very little incentive to be used. It's a very risky Pokemon to use because it's both frail and slow, and when you consider Prankster does not activate on the turn it evolves, Mega Banette is frankly really easy to kill off. Its only niche is Prankster Destiny Bond, but in a tier with so many good Megas, I don't think I'd ever want to use a Mega for the sole purpose of getting a kill. Mega Banette is frankly extremely unrewarding, as all it does in most games is spread burns or paralysis (or Taunt) and then use Prankster D-Bond, which is also extremely risky as it's easy to play around with switches and status. Spreading Will-O-Wisp and Taunt with priority is done much better by Sableye, who has reliable recovery and a Psychic immunity to take on Alakazam and Reuniclus, which is frankly pretty important. It also is far more reliable since it has Prankster right off the bat and has STAB Knock Off or Foul Play to use for disruption (or Snarl too). Mega Banette has an abysmal movepool to use its high Attack with and its STABs and priority are all weak as hell, and it's also really easy to deal with against the meta since Krookodile and Hydreigon are both common, while stuff like Entei or Infernape make spreading burns harder. By using Mega Banette you are holding yourself back by denying yourself the right to use one of UU's many great megas such as Aerodactyl, Beedrill, Blastoise, or Houndoom to name a few (and infinitely more). Mega Banette is just very unrewarding as a Mega and as a Pokemon in general, and I don't think it deserves an analysis.

I think there are a few others who could have their analyses removed as well. Chatot, Cinccino, and Jolteon all have analyses but are pretty irrelevant in the UU metagame and I don't see why I'd ever use them. i brought up Mega Banette in particular though because I know for one thing that Banette definitely doesn't deserve an analysis.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
fwiw, I agree with revamping and even removing some (read: a lot of) analysis. expect an update from the QC team on the situation soon

Threw

cohiba
So I'm a bit late to the party, but I came here to mention the 3 attacks LO lead Azelf set only to see unfix had already done so, so that's good. It's a very good set, one that's much, much better than the SR/Flame/Taunt/Explosion set imo, since that one is kinda outclassed by lead Aero (Explosion is nice but sooooo predictable and easy to stop). Even though it gets an aside in the "Other Options" section, it's a super influential set, so I think it's deserves a lot more attention and should definitely be added, whoever writes it.

So I was doing some good ol' lurking in the analyses and found a few removals to be in place.
  • In Chesnaught's analysis it mentions Trevenant as a c&c in Grass-types and both Defensive sets it's obviously not viable at all in the metagame and probably won't be in the time to come and I believe it's discouraged to mention unranked Pokemon correct?
  • Hoopa is mentioned in Aerodactyl's under the Hone Claws and Suicide Lead set and it's the general consensus it's bad from what I've heard, but eh
  • Trevenant is mentioned in Suicide Azelf's analysis as a spinblocker.
  • I believe in Froslass's analysis Spiritomb should be replaced with Sableye in it's Team Option and please remove mention of Cincinno in it's c&c's
  • Oh and Dragalge is mispelled in it's Choice Specs set. "power drop is negligible, although the ability to hit Chesnaught without dropping Draaglge's Special"
I also believe Feraligatr's SD set should be make the first set since it's better at SD'ing these days especially with Gyarados being the new go-to Dragon Dancer and generally better at it. I don't see why Florges' Defensive Support set is 252 / 252 Bold when the mixed spread is the most common one right now and arguably better at wishpassing, but pretty subjective. Finally, I believe Sucker Punch deserves a mention in Houndoom's analysis as it lets it snipe Alakazam and pick off weakened faster threats, but that's subjective as well

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I feel like it may be a good idea to discuss the set order on Zoroark's analysis.

Currently, the set order is Choice Specs > Swords Dance > Nasty Plot > Mixed Attacker. It seems rather hard to justify using mixed attacker Zoroark at all when Hydreigon exists as Hydreigon completely outclasses Zoroark at that role (Zoroark doesn't even 2HKO Blissey with Low Kick; hell, Knock Off does more damage to Blissey while it has its item and it still doesn't get the 2HKO). I guess Illusion counts as a niche over Hydreigon, but you only get to take advantage of it once per match (given that you don't play it in ways that make it painfully obvious that you just sent out Zoroark,) and after you've used that, you just have a bad Hydreigon that misses out on lots of OHKOs/2HKOs due to the comparatively low Base Power of its moves. If you want to take advantage of Illusion, you can use Choice Specs because that can possibly use Trick to cripple something threatening to a teammate, and it's at least not totally piss-weak like mixed attacker Zoroark is.

Speaking of Specs Zoroark: as far as I remember, Jirachi and Celebi were UU when the analysis was written, and the ability to play a "surprise, muthafucka" card on them was quite valuable (I think PK Gaming made a comment along these lines on the analysis thread). There are still a few things you can do this with (Cresselia, Reuniclus) but these Pokemon aren't really at the same level as Jirachi was (iirc, Jirachi was S-rank when it was UU.) It seems like Specs Zoroark's surprise factor is a little less valuable in a Jirachi-less, Celebi-less metagame, and I personally think the ability to use the surprise factor of Illusion to set up a sweep is currently more valuable by miles. I am personally biased towards SD so I will recuse myself from making a judgment on which set-up set should come first, but I think it's a little hard to justify Specs being the first set in a meta without Jirachi or Celebi.

There are several issues with the Snorlax analysis:

It mentions Specs Hydreigon, which is a bad set. Mixed Life Orb is a better wallbreaker, as it can switch moves. It also mentions Celebi and Jirachi, both of which have left UU.

I can edit it, but what Pokémon should I mention in place of Celebi and Jirachi?

The new Venusaur UU analysis says it resists Bullet Punch in the first paragraph. How did that get past QC. xD

tdp edit: people make mistakes, no need to be snarky. either way, ty, fixed this

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)