ORAS OU OU Team - The Alpha Squat - By Platina Kirin

OU Team - The Alpha Squat - By Platina Kirin

This Team has passed the Quality Check State

Introduction:

I love ou and thus I also love making teams for ou. My general method is by picking a Pokémon that is scoring high for each stat. However lately with the developments in the meta game and my absence from battling as much as I used to, my team-building has become a bit outdated. That's why I decided to post this team on the Rate My Team forum to hopefully become a better team-builder and so I am able to enjoy ou again. \( ^-^ )/

Team-building Process:

First I wanted a Pokémon that is fast and that can pivot. This is when Tornadus-Therian came to the team. I love the ability <Regenerator> as I love Pokémon that can sustain themselves. secondly I wanted a special wall and an answer to the common Talonflame. This is when Heatran came to the team. To immediately gain a wall-breaker, I gave Heatran Toxic and Taunt. Of course every team needs a Pokémon to stop set-up sweepers. This is when Clefable came to the team. With it's ability <Unaware> and great bulk it can survive quite long and stops the sweepers with Moonblast. The Calm Mind set also allows Clefable to become dangerous herself. Then I needed a physical wall and a Stealth Rock-setter. This is how Garchomp came to the team. With its ability <Rough Skin> and a Rocky Helmet it can cripple Physical sweepers. Lastly my team needed some sweepers and attackers. Both physically and specially. This is how both Weavile and Alakazam-Mega came to the team. Both have great offenses and speed. Weavile directly takes care of common threats such as Landorus-Therian, Garchomp & other dragon types as well as Psychic types. Alakazam is imune to hazards on the first turn and it can stop set-up sweepers as well as hit hard. My team lacked a hazards setter which any team needs. This is when Starmie joined the team. Since I had to replace one Pokémon I have chosen to replace Weavile as it's primary role as attacker can be fulfilled by my other Pokémon. Since my team was pretty weak to the common Pokémon Talonflame. This when I have decided to replace Garchomp with Tyranitar. As Tyranitar is still pretty bulky and can also set-up Stealth Rock as well as shuffle.

The Team:

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off
Tornadus-Therian is my Regenerator-Pivot. The ev's are fairly standard, as are the moves. U-turn to abuse Regenerator, Knock Off for utility, Heat Wave to smack Steel-types who would otherwise wall it and Hurricane for stab.This Pokémon fulfills the role of pivot, knock off-assist and special attacker. Its Basically a blanket check for special attackers, who it loves to annoy.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Earth Power
Heatran is bulky and is meant to deal with Talonflame as well as stall breaking. The ev's are to ensure special bulk and out-speed certain threats. It is helped in this by its great ability, nice bulk, and diverse move-pool. Heatran is very unpredictable, so the opponent rarely knows just what set I am running. Fire+Ground is pretty good coverage, while Taunt+Toxic destroys stall. Toxic also allows Heatran to beat even bulky Talonflame. Heatran is my Stall breaker. Magma Storm and Toxic can wear down any wall and Taunt can even be used to stop Pokémon from setting up.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
Clefable is my Calm Mind Fairy. Magic Guard is very useful as it saves Clefable from being knocked out from Status-ailments like Toxic. The ev's and Nature allow Clefable to live quite long. Thunder Wave help Clefable and the team by crippling Opponents. Calm Mind and Moonblast can make Clefable very dangerous when used correctly. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to dish more hits and ultimately set up more Calm Minds.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail
Tyranitar is the replacement for Garchomp. Tyranitar is my mixed wall and my stealth rock setter. The ev's are meant to ensure overall bulk. Tyranitar can also check Talonflame when Heatran is knocked out as well as shuffle opponents. Sand Stream boosts Tyranitar's bulk and helps stall break. Sand Stream might seem crippling at first glance, however Heatran & Clefable are immune to it. Starmie and Tornadus-Therian have a form of recovery and a non-mega'd Alakazam also doesn't take damage. Ice Beam is to hit common threats such as Garchomp, other Dragons and Landorus-Therian hard, it might not one-hit-KO since it is not invested in special attack but it can certainly cripple them on switch-in.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
Starmie is the replacement for Weavile. The Ev's are to ensure longevity and max speed. Reflect Type helps Starmie survive agaisnt Ferothorn and Venusaur by becoming immune to Leech Seed and Sleep Powder. It also helps vs Bisharp and other Pokémon that would hit it for super effective damage. Scald is a nice STAB as well as burn chance. Recover helps longevity and Rapid Spin is to get rid of pesky Hazards.

Alakazam (M) @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
Alakazam is my special attacker. The ev's are to ensure maximum damage and speed. Like Weavile, it is fairly frail but great in power. A well-timed Encore can stop walls from healing and to stop a set-up sweeper from sweeping this team by locking it in it's set-up move and knocking the Pokémon out before it can sweep.

Problems this team has that need to be fixed:
- 1 extra Pokémon that can heal itself. (This is just to ensure the survivability of my team in longer matches. Done
- A Pokémon with defog or rapid spin. (This one is very important.) Done
- Dealing with swords-dance Talonflame after Heatran is knocked out. Done
- Lacking a Pokémon scoring high in hp. (This is not too important if the rest of my team is able to function properly.) Not Necessary.

Changes made to this team compared to the original version:
- Heatran <move> Protect to Earth Power
- Heatran <move> Lava Plume to Magma Storm
- Heatran Ev's and Nature to Timid and 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Weavile (Physical Attacker) to Starmie (Scald Support)
- Garchomp (Physical Wall + Stealth Rock Phazing) to Tyranitar (Mixed Wall + Stealth Rock Phazing)
- Heatran <Item> Leftovers to Air Balloon

Importable:
Code:
Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Alakazam (M) @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Thanks in advance by helping me make this team great.

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello Platina Kirin,
Nice Team you has here,It is really a solid team.

First of all,I noticed that you lack an Hazard remover and a counter for Keldeo;So i would suggest you to use Starmie>Weavile,Starmie is a great spinner, also provides Recover, useful not to lose longevity;The set that would suggest using is:Scald / Reflect Type / Recover / Rapid spin,Reflect type is a useful move to deal with Ferrothorn, Bisharp, Mega Venusaur, Charizard Y better.Other valid options are: Thunder Wave and Psyschock.
The following spread is: 248 HP / 8 Spa / 252 Spe with a Timid nature.

At this point,Now that we have an Hazard remover, you have to adjust your set and the spread of Clefable;I think WishPass set is not that useful in your Team,besides, your pokemon are struggling against stalling teams,so i'd suggest you to use CM Clefable>WishPass Clefable,Cm Clefable provides a good Win Condition,Also is an Amazing Stallbreaker thanks to Magic guard.The following set is: Calm Mind / MoonBlast / Soft-boiled /Thunder wave,Thunder wave helps clefable to deal with Heatran,Tornadus-Therian,Weavile,Charizard Y/X,Mega Metagross,Mega Lopunny,Mega Alakazam,Mega Altaria.the following spread is: 248 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature;84 Spd allows Clefable to take 3HKO by Thunderbolt from Mega Manectric and Thundurus,and Psychic from Mega Alakazam;Instead 172 Def allows Clefable to take 3HKO by Icicle Crash from Weavile,Psyschock from Latios,Return from Jolly Mega Lopunny.Other valid options are:Flametrower,useful to deal with Scizor,Ferrothorn,Bisharp,Mega Metagross better.

Finally,I'd suggest you to use Offensive StallBreaker Heatran> SpD Heatran,Offensive Heatran helps your Team to deal bulky Teams,with Magma Storm+Toxic, can trap stuff such as Chansey,Clefable,Talonflame,which is very useful.The following Set is:Magma Storm / Earth Power / Taunt / Toxic. The following spread is: 252 Spa / 4 spD / 252 Spe. Another valid option is:Power Herb+Solar beam,Which is really useful to worn down bulky water as Suicune,Manaphy,Rotom-w,Keldeo.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave / Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type /Psyschock / Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers /Power herb
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Earth Power/Solar Beam

Hope i've helped. ^^

Last edited:
Hello Platina Kirin,
Nice Team you has here,It is really a solid team.

First of all,I noticed that you lack an Hazard remover and a counter for Keldeo;So i would suggest you to use Starmie>Weavile,Starmie is a great spinner, also provides Recover, useful not to lose longevity;The set that would suggest using is:Scald / Reflect Type / Recover / Rapid spin,Reflect type is a useful move to deal with Ferrothorn, Bisharp, Mega Venusaur, Charizard Y better.Other valid options are: Thunder Wave and Psyschock.
The following spread is: 248 HP / 8 Spa / 252 Spe with a Timid nature.

At this point,Now that we have an Hazard remover, you have to adjust your set and the spread of Clefable;I think WishPass set is not that useful in your Team,besides, your pokemon are struggling against stalling teams,so i'd suggest you to use CM Clefable>WishPass Clefable,Cm Clefable provides a good Win Condition,Also is an Amazing Stallbreaker thanks to Magic guard.The following set is: Calm Mind / MoonBlast / Soft-boiled /Thunder wave,Thunder wave helps clefable to deal with Heatran,Tornadus-Therian,Weavile,Charizard Y/X,Mega Metagross,Mega Lopunny,Mega Alakazam,Mega Altaria.the following spread is: 248 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature;84 Spd allows Clefable to take 3HKO by Thunderbolt from Mega Manectric and Thundurus,and Psychic from Mega Alakazam;Instead 172 Def allows Clefable to take 3HKO by Icicle Crash from Weavile,Psyschock from Latios,Return from Jolly Mega Lopunny.Other valid options are:Flametrower,useful to deal with Scizor,Ferrothorn,Bisharp,Mega Metagross better.

Finally,I'd suggest you to use Offensive StallBreaker Heatran> SpD Heatran,Offensive Heatran helps your Team to deal bulky Teams,with Magma Storm+Toxic, can trap stuff such as Chansey,Clefable,Talonflame,which is very useful.The following Set is:Magma Storm / Earth Power / Taunt / Toxic. The following spread is: 252 Spa / 4 spD / 252 Spe. Another valid option is:Power Herb+Solar beam,Which is really useful to worn down bulky water as Suicune,Manaphy,Rotom-w,Keldeo.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave / Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type /Psyschock / Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers /Power herb
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Earth Power/Solar Beam

Hope i've helped. ^^
You sure have helped. The only question I have is: would that Clefable not make my team weaker to set-up sweepers, since it will lose unaware? My team needs an Unaware user as to not lose to Manaphy.
I will take the new Heatran and Starmie over Weavile on my team already.
EDIT: Nevermind I saw that your set has Unaware too, my bad. I will take your new Clefable too. Thanks a lot. :)
DOUBLE EDIT: Sadly Clefable's Soft-Boiled is incompatible with Unaware. However, I'll still use it.

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For Set-up sweepers you have Taunt Heatran and Encore Mega Alakazam, you can easily block Clefable opponents, Volcarona, Talonflame ,Charizard X and others..

For Set-up sweepers you have Taunt Heatran and Encore Mega Alakazam, you can easily block Clefable opponents, Volcarona, Talonflame ,Charizard X and others..
Thank you for your help. I took you Clefable in, I gave it Magic Guard since Unaware is incompatible with Soft-Boiled. Heatran & Alakazam should be enough to deal with Set-Up sweepers.

Last edited:
Hello there, Platina Kirin!

First of all, your team looks pretty stellar! You've made some good choices. I was trying to come up with a good way to check Swords Dance Talonflame if Heatran bites the dust. As it stands, you already have some good checks with Garchomp's Stealth Rock support and some Scald support from Starmie when in a pinch. But if you are looking for a secondary answer to Talonflame, I would recommend replacing Garchomp with a modified Support Tyranitar. This set would be able to utilize Stealth Rock like Garchomp, which could pair nicely with either Dragon Tail or Roar to phaze out opponents.I recommend Roar as it isn't walled by Fairy-types, but Dragon Tail is good if you want some damage along with the phaze. STAB Stone Edge will gaurantee a OHKO on Talonflame while Tyranitar can tank most of the hits that Talonflame can dish out even after a Swords Dance boost. The last slot really depends on what you feel would benefit the team most. Ice Punch helps against threats like Gliscor or Landorus-T, provide Tyranitar with coverage, and help out Pokemon like Tornadus-T, who appreciate checks to Zapdos and Thundurus. Iron Tail checks against Fairy-types, which spell trouble for Tyranitar, and serve as addition Fairy coverage for the team if Heatran is KOed. STAB- Pursuit, while not providing covarge, could help against Latias and Latios. There are a lot of options and any of them could work well. While Tyranitar's Sand Stream might look like a bad idea because none of your Pokemon directly benefit from it, it has great synergy with the Stallbreaker core you have got going on the team in general, providing some nice residual damage. With two Magic Guard users, a steel type, and two Pokemon with very reliable recovery options in Recover and Regenerator, I think your team won't really mind having Sandstorm running, either. Unforntuately, Tyrantiar suffers from weak defensive typing in comparison to Garchomp, so this set is more of an offensive answer to the problem. Because of this, I recommend Leftovers instead of the standard Smooth Rock to keep Tyranitar healthy. This will also keep Sandstorm from running too long.

Damage Calculator Comparisons:
Tyranitar Vs Talonflame
0 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 120 HP/ 0 Def Talonflame: 736-868 (255-265.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Vird vs 248 HP/ 80+ Def Tyranitar: 133-157 (33-38.5%) -- 8.2% change to 3HKO after Leftovers.

Garchomp/Tyranitar Defense Comparison: 4x Weakness
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 546-645 (130.9-154.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choic Spec Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 80+ Def Tyranitar: 648-763 (160.7 - 190.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Garchomp/Tyranitar Defense Comparison: 2x Weakness
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP/ 180 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 218-260 (54 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP/ 0 SpD Garchomp: 450-530 (107.3-126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Of course, changing to this set will sacrifice STAB Earthquake and Dragon Tail that Garchomp has, and Tyranitar, as I alluded to before, is not as good of a physical wall type-wise. Additionally, as I said above, Stealth Rock and the many status moves you have at your disposal can eliminate Talonflame in case Heatran isn't sufficient at its job. However, if you're looking for a more direct responce, I think this set will work well.

Tyranitar (M/F) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch/ Iron Tail/ Pursuit
- Roar/Dragon Tail

Hope this helps.

Twixtry

Bentley coupe riding with stars
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey, nice team you have there.

The first thing I noticed is that you are very weak to Azumarill and Manaphy and, like you said yourself, you need a second check to talonflame.
Because of this I would use M-Manectric > M-Alakazam. M-Manectric still fulfills Alakazams role of a fast special attacker, while also checking the above-mentioned threats. It also forms a fast volt-turn core with Tornadus-T

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

First all thanks you both. I think I will replace Garchomp with Tyranitar.
For now I feel like I should keep M-Alakazam. Tyranitar would already be my second check to Talonflame and M-Alakazam can lock Manaphy into using tail glow and 2hko with Psychic (Meaning it ko's before Manaphy can attack again & even if Manaphy can M-Alakazam still has a second Encore.) Alakazam also helps vs Gengar which might become a problem if I replace it, Gengar often carries Focus Blast which can do massive damage to Heatran as well as Tyranitar and with Sludge Bomb it can take on Clefable while Shadow Ball means trouble to Starmie.
Thanks for the suggestion, I might decide to replace M-Alakazam with M-Manectric later on but for now I will keep M-Alakazam.

First all thanks you both. I think I will replace Garchomp with Tyranitar.
For now I feel like I should keep M-Alakazam. Tyranitar would already be my second check to Talonflame and M-Alakazam can lock Manaphy into using tail glow and 2hko with Psychic (Meaning it ko's before Manaphy can attack again & even if Manaphy can M-Alakazam still has a second Encore.) Alakazam also helps vs Gengar which might become a problem if I replace it, Gengar often carries Focus Blast which can do massive damage to Heatran as well as Tyranitar and with Sludge Bomb it can take on Clefable while Shadow Ball means trouble to Starmie.
Thanks for the suggestion, I might decide to replace M-Alakazam with M-Manectric later on but for now I will keep M-Alakazam.
You're very welcome. This is actually the first time I've ever made suggestions for a team, so I'm glad it worked out. Let me know how Tyranitar fares. Also, I was going to go back and edit Ice Punch to Ice Beam, because I realized that the special attack would work better against physical walls like Lando-T and Gliscor, but it seems like you caught that mistake on your own. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)