OU Smogon Premier League: GSC OU Discussion

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Smogon Premier League

Season Schedule
Rosters

The Smogon Premier League is one of the biggest stages of competition on this website and a good opportunity to showcase quality matches of metagames that do not get alot of exposure otherwise. Every past generation will have 5 matches each week that we can discuss here. I will update this thread with the matchups and the replays/logs of every week. This thread should be a place for constructive discussion about things like team choices, matchups, plays but also tendencies in the metagame and so on. Trashtalking players is not allowed. Players commenting on their teams or on certain key turns and answering questions is encouraged.​

coming soon

Who will not use Snorlax first? :pirate:

Last edited:
Well since we don't have much to go off of. I guess Earthworm playing is still pretty hype. Anyone see anymore highlight games for week 1?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
what is this thread you trying to encourage team reveals for shame

anyway i expect the following outcomes for week 1 (can we do predix here lol)

• [RUIN] idiotfrommars vs. Lavos Spawn [WOLF] ifm tends to use the same team all the time. that said, it's a pretty darn good team, lavos seems to have the opposite tendency where he overthinks things a bit, plus ifm has tiba backin him up so... yeah
  • [CRYO] Colchonero vs. Isa [SCTR] apparently colch redeemed himself in wcop but idk, isa seems to have gotten pretty decent at gsc and he has a better old gens core to test with imo
  • [CONG] giara vs. Mr.E [FLCN] idk who giara is but he seems like he would've been a decent player who played before i was poke-born. idk tho, i worry he might have warthog syndrome, and MrE is no pushover, circlejerk aside.
  • [SHRK] Conflict vs. Earthworm [TGRS] no way worms isn't rusty and conflict has m dragon to test with.
  • [BIGS] d0nut vs. Picollo [RAID] the namekian is mightier than the pastry. should i even know who this donut guy is? lol watch him be the next blue eon
yeah i know it's weird for me to be commenting and not playing. but spl is too much stress and too much time. i might pop in to comment on logs every now and then tho.

curious but do people actually play test and practice against teammates? that's pretty tryhard. i didn't realize pokemon's so tryhard. aren't we a community guys? transparent knowledge?

edit: just visited spl forums. damn this shits serious. how's there no prizepool yet? TWITCH?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
cumulative stats, in total:
Body Slam: 20-24
Return: 2-3
Double Edge: 22-17

Body Slam: 1-3
Return: 0-0
Double Edge: 4-2
Body Slam: 0-3
Return: 1-0
Double Edge: 3-1
Body Slam: 1-1
Double Edge: 4-3
Body Slam: 3-1
Return: 0-2
Double Edge: 1-2
Body Slam: 3-1
Double Edge: 2-4
Body Slam: 3-3
Double Edge: 2-1
Body Slam: 3-3
Return 1-1
Double Edge 0-1
Body Slam: 4-4
Return 0-0
Double Edge 1-1
Body Slam: 1-2
Return 0-0
Double Edge 3-2
Return 0-0
Double Edge 2-0

~~~~~~~~

Looks like no one likes return but Mr. E...

2 games with only one lax present (picollo wks 2 and 9), 6 games where a Snorlax was present but never used STAB move (d0nut wks 2 and 7, Colchonero wk 3, Picollo wk 4, giara wk 6, Bomber wk 9)

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Goddamn Conflict got robbed that match. As many props as I want to give EW for bringing the good Kanga set, the only thing standing between him and an inevitable loss to Toxic + Spikes was a timely crit on Heracross. Not to mention that if Conflict had used the standard Suicune version of that team, EW goes from having a 1/16 chance to a flat-out 0% chance of pulling away with that one.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Sleep Talk Umbreon is pretty legit.

I'm not sure I could recommend non-Drill Peck Skarmory.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I feel like that's something that could be better done by a mon that isn't relying on a fairly heavily-resisted single type of attack. Like the hundreds of Normals that can do it including Snorlax, Heracross who loses to the same big two offenders (Zapdos and Skarm) but without all the other baggage (Raikou, Tyranitar, Steelix, etc.), even Machamp. WW does its own cool things in conjunction with Curse anyway that much fewer mons can emulate.

I did consider using a mono-attacking Steelix week 1 in a similar vein though, using Iron Tail as my STAB of choice since it doesn't have immunities like EQ. Of which note, "Skarm set" Steelix with Curse/Roar/Rest is probably cool. Not that Steel is a great attacking type either but for Steelix's purposes, it does at least hit Eggy and is still super-effective to TTar. Kind of a bummer against Raikou in particular but it can barely touch you anyway and at least you underspeed it for the Roar.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
Well the idea is not to sweep with Skarm. It'd be akin to Charm/Rest/ST/(I presume Toxic and not Growl lol) Umbreon, where the main idea is to be able to take Sleep from Lax/Egg or just be harder for Lax or Wak to abuse while asleep. You lose out on Phaze powers but the idea is that Curse lets you muster up enough resistance to force them out.

cumulative stats, through wk 3:
Body Slam: 2-7
Double Edge: 11-6

Double Edge: 4-2
Body Slam: 0-3
Double Edge: 3-1
Body Slam: 1-1
Double Edge: 4-3

~~~~~~~~

Looks like no one likes return but Mr. E...

1 game with only one lax present (picollo wk 2), 2 games where a Snorlax was present but never used STAB move (d0nut wk 2, Colchonero wk 3)
can you recount using matchups rather than pure w/l (e.g. de vs return, de vs bs, etc)? or at least use ties in the event both teams are using the move. i'm assuming a lot of the games were de vs de, which is a +1 for w and l in this method, which is not that useful.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
can you recount using matchups rather than pure w/l (e.g. de vs return, de vs bs, etc)? or at least use ties in the event both teams are using the move. i'm assuming a lot of the games were de vs de, which is a +1 for w and l in this method, which is not that useful.
well, yeah the vast majority of games are double edge dittos. iirc there was only one Body Slam ditto and Return's win was against Body Slam, which would leave Body Slam 1-5 in games vs Double Edge so far. I think. Not particularly motivated to count again.

Bughouse

The real story is that it doesn't seem to make a big difference either way haha, but sure you can take it how you want to take it

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Body Slam is obviously the best because sometimes it just automatically wins you the game, which neither DE nor Return do.

Seriously, is the coolest thing anyone did all SPL my Week 1 Zapdos kill with Icy Wind + Ice Beam Cloyster?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)