Pokkén Tournament

Nia (the annoying announcer lady) gets new skills or something you can unlock. Serebii wasn't clear on what these do.
I'll let him know: the changes give a boost to the Synergy Gauge or Support Gauge at the start of a round. The main one I use maxes both support Pokemon for rounds 2 and 3.

You better commit a lot of time on this game before giving the final verdict. Not be the kind of reviewer that only plays it for an hour and judge it because I just watched Shofu's review on this game who committed more than a week on this game so far. I'm gonna watch GameXplain's review next.
I've beaten the story mode (took about 10 hours) and I'll put similar time into the online once the servers are live before rendering a score.

When I first saw this game I was underwhelmed, but it's had positive reviews from what I've seen. IGN gave it 8/10; Gamespot gave it a 9/10; Eurogamer gave it a Recommended. I might pick this up in a few weeks, but my wallet's still reeling from Super Mystery Dungeon and Bravely Second

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, so I'm looking through the playable fighter's and I noticed there's a bit of a Battling Style imbalance. There's 6 Standard, 4 Power, 3 Speed, and 3 Technique. Being there's 16 fighters that's easily divisible by 4. I'm sure it doesn't really matter, just seems a bit strange.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Apparently, Shadow Mewtwo hurts itself whenever it uses a Special move. Combined with it having the lowest HP of all fighters, it sounds very difficult to use. At least it can heal itself with Recover.

I'd assume it makes up for it in power, if its Burst attack is any indication of the thing's strength.

(seriously, if you haven't seen it, go look it up.)

Apparently, Shadow Mewtwo hurts itself whenever it uses a Special move. Combined with it having the lowest HP of all fighters, it sounds very difficult to use. At least it can heal itself with Recover.
Sounds like an "Akuma" styled superboss style character. I assume his boss version won't suffer that problem.

it doesn't. It also from what I've seen, has 1000 HP.
They always tend to nerf "superboss" characters. Either they suffer some side effects they didn't as a superboss or their attacks are too weakened. I am somewhat glad to hear that it's still superstrong at least...even if it can't really take many hits.

Also, i just realized, I feel sorry for the people that got early copies. Now that pokken's out in japan, all the ARCADE players are now online. And of course, that's going to change the pecking order of ranked matches. Poor youtubers in the top spots.
Quite frankly, i reeeally want this game, it looks simple on the top, but seems to have a LOT of depth to playstyles and characters.

Yeah Shofu got owned by a Suicune the other day. I have been messing around with Machamp with the AI at Super Hard. Really good. I got the physical copy so I have the Shadow Mewtwo card.

Karxrida

Apparently Support unlocks aren't random. Good to know.

I'm going to try to pick this game up later, it looks simplistic enough (in comparison to other fighting games) for me to enjoy.

Shadow Mewtwo's Burst isn't all that powerful. Looks to be about the normal. Looks like Tarzan, hits like Jane.

I've been playing Pikachu Libre all day and hes a lot of fun, on Red League rn and done a few online matches

if anyone wants to play pm me :O

*grumbling about Amazon shipping* Should have just bought it at Gamestop on release.

Either way, have fun guys. I'll join you in like a week then.

Karxrida

So... Um...

I was just getting my physical copy at GameStop, and the guy at the counter said Pokkén was getting its own amiibo. Dude even showed me a picture.

So yeah. That's a thing. Can anybody else confirm this?

So... Um...

I was just getting my physical copy at GameStop, and the guy at the counter said Pokkén was getting its own amiibo. Dude even showed me a picture.

What Pokemon was shown on the Amiibo?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So... Um...

Nothing online about that (except fake images of them just pasting the in-game art on an Amiibo stand). I see articles about all Amiibo being supported by the game, but that's referring to the old Amiibos.

But with that said, if Smash can release an Amiibo for every fighter than I think Pokken can do the same with its 16 fighters. I'm sure there would be people who would want to get an Amiibo for the Pokemon who don't have one yet. Heck, I'm surprised Pokemon hadn't already jumped onto the Amiibo wagon, they could even reuse the molds they had for the TFG.

Nothing online about that (except fake images of them just pasting the in-game art on an Amiibo stand). I see articles about all Amiibo being supported by the game, but that's referring to the old Amiibos.

But with that said, if Smash can release an Amiibo for every fighter than I think Pokken can do the same with its 16 fighters. I'm sure there would be people who would want to get an Amiibo for the Pokemon who don't have one yet. Heck, I'm surprised Pokemon hadn't already jumped onto the Amiibo wagon, they could even reuse the molds they had for the TFG.
As someone that knows stuff about figuring collecting, scaling up to larger figures (and even worse scaling down to smaller figures), wouldn't work one bit.

Though to be fair, they could just take the Smash Bros. Amiibos, put a new base on them and tada that's a quarter of the cast done.

I heard that Gamefreak was reluctant to join the Amiibo game. Don't remember where though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As someone that knows stuff about figuring collecting, scaling up to larger figures (and even worse scaling down to smaller figures), wouldn't work one bit.

Though to be fair, they could just take the Smash Bros. Amiibos, put a new base on them and tada that's a quarter of the cast done.
Ah, but that was back in the time you would have to find a way to enlarge/shrink the actual mold. But now that we have 3D printing they just need to scan the figure into the computer, enlarge/shrink if needed, clean-up and add any additional details they deem is needed, and "print".

Also it would be pretty cheap for them to do that and I don't think a lot of people would be happy. If they make Amiibo of the playable Pokken fighters they'd want the Amiibo to not only be in the pose of the fighters but also to look like them (especially with the textures).

Ah, but that was back in the time you would have to find a way to enlarge/shrink the actual mold. But now that we have 3D printing they just need to scan the figure into the computer, enlarge/shrink if needed, clean-up and add any additional details they deem is needed, and "print".

Also it would be pretty cheap for them to do that and I don't think a lot of people would be happy. If they make Amiibo of the playable Pokken fighters they'd want the Amiibo to not only be in the pose of the fighters but also to look like them (especially with the textures).
To be fair, it's actually pretty stupid for them to rerelease Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Charizard amiibos since the rerelease amiibos don't sell well at all (the only Mario Amiibo that sold relatively well was Toad for instance) but we know they would if they were going to do it.

Also, as Gabe put it, Gamefreak IS extremely cautious about letting anyone else touch their IPs. It's why it took until just now for their 20th anniversary for there to be Pokemon jingles in Super Mario Maker.

Karxrida

>People still thinking Game Freak and TPCi are the same thing and GF is the reason why we're not getting amiibo instead of TPCi

What Pokemon was shown on the Amiibo?
I remember seeing Gengar, Machamp, Pikachu Libre. It also showed the Smash characters' amiibo being compared to their supposed Pokkén versions.

It seemed legit because the specific store I went to keeps an iPad at the counter to show you merchandise they don't have on them or is unreleased. I went to another store to try and grab the controller and asked the only guy there, and he didn't know what I was talking about. I don't know what the deal is anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)