2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That match definitely made me anti-Rooney. I just don't think he can fit into the team at the minute, with Alli filling the number 10 role extremely well - he is by far the most creative player England have at the minute and should definitely start in a central attacking midfield role. Kane should definitely play in the number 9 role as well, there is no-one who poses as much of a goalscoring threat as Kane in the England squad. The two are very used to playing with each other every week at spurs, so we already know they make an excellent partnership. Nevertheless, Roy Hodgson will inevitably go back to Rooney once he is fit and, not wanting to drop Alli, will play one of them out of place just to accommodate them both. Always the same thing with England managers - trying to get all our best players on the field at once even when it doesn't work (Lampard+Gerrard syndrome). I really hope Roy has the balls to drop Rooney

That match definitely made me anti-Rooney. I just don't think he can fit into the team at the minute, with Alli filling the number 10 role extremely well - he is by far the most creative player England have at the minute and should definitely start in a central attacking midfield role. Kane should definitely play in the number 9 role as well, there is no-one who poses as much of a goalscoring threat as Kane in the England squad. The two are very used to playing with each other every week at spurs, so we already know they make an excellent partnership. Nevertheless, Roy Hodgson will inevitably go back to Rooney once he is fit and, not wanting to drop Alli, will play one of them out of place just to accommodate them both. Always the same thing with England managers - trying to get all our best players on the field at once even when it doesn't work (Lampard+Gerrard syndrome). I really hope Roy has the balls to drop Rooney
And once England lose in the quarter finals of this major tournament like they do in just about any tournament the stories will more or less go either why didn't rooney play or rooney shouldn't play, depending on what Hodgson does. It's so predictable that I hope england do well without rooney and other big name stars just to destroy the narrative

Holy shit you guys need to chill with the pessimism. We outplayed a strong German side for the vast majority of the game, looked creative, fresh and quick, scored a worldie in Vardy's goal (Kane's wasn't too far behind), and all with a team with an average age of 24. Our future looks bright, stop acting miserable.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Holy shit you guys need to chill with the pessimism. We outplayed a strong German side for the vast majority of the game, looked creative, fresh and quick, scored a worldie in Vardy's goal (Kane's wasn't too far behind), and all with a team with an average age of 24. Our future looks bright, stop acting miserable.
I do agree our future looks bright with a line up of players such as Kane/Alli/Sterling/Stones/Barkley/Dier/Shaw all under 22, but manodelrey is right about the media thing. No matter what an England manager does, when we get knocked out a tournament he will get loads of backlash no matter what he does, and I just don't hold out hope for use getting past the last 8. I really hope they can this tournament, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've been optimistic before when Owen put them 1-0 up against Brazil in 2002, and then I've watched them get knocked out in the quarters on penalties in 3 major tournaments after that. We had an amazing squad from 2002-2006 yet we just don't seem to manage to get past the last 8.
So again, I predict the quarters for us this time around, unless we somehow manage to avoid one of the bigger teams at that stage.

Well for starters my pessimism comes from the fact that I am actually a USMNT supporter not england, so I can somewhat objectively look at it from outside the realm of the England hype culture. I wish Englands manager had the balls to sit some of the star players he has to play a proper team that might actually do something for once.
But in all seriousness I can't talk shit since our national team is being fucked sideways by Sunil Gulati and Dan Garber but they point fingers and blame Klinnsman and somehow our fanbase believes them (or just wants to believe them)

Italy vs. Germany
Holland vs. England

Fuck how am I supposed to watch? :( There's only 15 minutes between them

Edit: Also we sit on top of our qualifying group but a win over UAE would be nice, I hope they extend for Bert and don't annoy him with pointless demands otherwise we'll get raped by Australia or whoever is waiting for us next round.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Anyone else absolutely shocked when Ronaldo appeared out of thin air to score the winner?

Been away for a while. Only thing I can say is: my fantasy team has gone to shit. That is all :D

I just want to fast forward the season and have all the questions answered. Will Leicester make it? Will Barcelona win CL? Will Van Gaal be sacked? And bring on the Euros!

Been away for a while. Only thing I can say is: my fantasy team has gone to shit. That is all :D

I just want to fast forward the season and have all the questions answered. Will Leicester make it? Will Barcelona win CL? Will Van Gaal be sacked? And bring on the Euros!
Yes, Probably, Who knows, wait your damn turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)