(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The move Scald. This move is right up there on my most hated move ever. So what does this do? It has a decent base Power while also having 30% chance to inflict a Burn. Doesn't sound too bad, right? The only type of Pokemon which cannot be burned is hit for Super Effective damage by this. Plus, because of the high chance of burn, Scald allows you to basically deter all Physical attackers unless they carry a Lum Berry. Just use a Special Attacker then? Problem is only a small selection of Pokemon can tank Scalds and they are all relatively passive and hates taking an additional 12% of damage per turn because of the Burn. All these factors made Water types incredibly annoying to face as they can simply BS you out of a win because of the chance of Scald crippling your sweepers.

Further adding to to my annoyance, there was simply no need to introduce this move since we already have Surf which does comparable damage. They also haven't learned anything since they introduced Steam Eruption (which is a signature move) but is even more retarded. It's as if Sacred Fire isn't stupid enough, now we need to deal with Scald and "Super Scald"

Steam Eruption and Sacred Fire are ok, they're signature moves used only by 3 pokémon.

Scald however is learned by every (?) water type. It's almost as stupid as everyone learning Toxic (hey look I'm a fluffy normal pokémon TAKE THAT SUPER TOXIC POISONING!). I agree Scald should have been ~60 base movepower. Scald should only have been given to water types that "make sense" learning it (e.g. no ice/water).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It annoys me a lot that Pidgeot got nothing new moveset-wise with the Mega, specially giving its barren movepool. Frickin' Blastoise got Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse and it makes no sense, Hera got Rock Blast (ok), Ampharos got Dragon Pulse (ok too),etc etc.

No Boomburst (make a lot of sense, shock wave boomburst), Focus Blast (doesn't make sense but look at others), Nasty Plot (also doesn't make sense), not even Icy Wind (lol?) or Extremespeed (a bit subpar in a special mon but yeah).

Now plz gib a ground-type Focus Blast called Sand Tornado or something (it actually makes sense, Mud Slap/Sand Attack anyone?) :P

They didn't even took the opportunity to fix the level learnset (lv 38 wing attack lolz).

Yeah this annoys me greatly, I'm partial as Pidgeot is my favourite pokémon but I think I have some point (even if minor).

Steam Eruption and Sacred Fire are ok, they're signature moves used only by 3 pokémon.

Scald should only have been given to water types that "make sense" learning it (e.g. no ice/water).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It annoys me a lot that Pidgeot got nothing new moveset-wise with the Mega, specially giving its barren movepool. Frickin' Blastoise got Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse and it makes no sense, Hera got Rock Blast (ok), Ampharos got Dragon Pulse (ok too),etc etc.

No Boomburst (make a lot of sense, shock wave boomburst), Focus Blast (doesn't make sense but look at others), Nasty Plot (also doesn't make sense), not even Icy Wind (lol?) or Extremespeed (a bit subpar in a special mon but yeah).

Now plz gib a ground-type Focus Blast called Sand Tornado or something (it actually makes sense, Mud Slap/Sand Attack anyone?) :P

They didn't even took the opportunity to fix the level learnset (lv 38 wing attack lolz).

Yeah this annoys me greatly, I'm partial as Pidgeot is my favourite pokémon but I think I have some point (even if minor).
Scald is not learnable by Water/Ice types though. As for Pidgeot, it has 100% accurate Hurricane. Aerodactyl doesn't even get anything (no, Aerial Ace doesn't count while Elemental Fangs are piss weak). Audino only gets the typing change and shitty Ability.

Scald is not learnable by Water/Ice types though. As for Pidgeot, it has 100% accurate Hurricane. Aerodactyl doesn't even get anything (no, Aerial Ace doesn't count while Elemental Fangs are piss weak). Audino only gets the typing change and shitty Ability.
I didn't check that out in Scald, at least some sense, but still too many pokes learn it.
Yes, I agree Aero should have gotten more things too just like Audino, Pidgeot is not alone.

Pidgeot got 100% Hurricanes, Aero got stronger contact moves, yes they got something from their ability (hi Mega Gallade lol), but others abilty and movepool improvements to match the new ability and/or typing.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wish Sucker Punch had a higher priority. I'm sick of seeing it go after some enemy's Extreme Speed (which is just as powerful, by the way) and seeing that annoying message "But it failed!"
Also, Emboar gets Scald. Why.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I wish Sucker Punch had a higher priority. I'm sick of seeing it go after some enemy's Extreme Speed (which is just as powerful, by the way) and seeing that annoying message "But it failed!"
Hmm, after looking at the Priority brackets placing Sucker Punch in a higher tier leads to some problems. Looking at the move itself, I think the idea is that the user waits for the opponent to attack and just as they're about to does a "Surprise Attack" (it's Japanese name). So it makes sense why it has increased priority (+1) over all normal moves. But then we get to +1 which is the bracket for Quick Attack & clones (plus a few others). Here if the user is faster they'll still attack the Quick Attaker first, but probably have less time to do so/be taken by surprise themselves. This is shown as a faster Quick Attacker will hit the user first. Then when you get to +2 which has Extreme Speed (and Feint) the opponent moves unnaturally fast thus the user has no chance to attack it.

Bracket wise here's the problem. To do what you want it to do you'll have to move around more than Sucker Punch. If you just placed Sucker Punch in the +2 bracket a faster Extreme Speeder (or Feinter) will still hit it. In that case you'll have to either move Extreme Speed (and Feint) down to +1 or move Sucker Punch up another bracket. But here's where there's another problem as +3 is where Fake Out (the guaranteed first hit + Flinch move), and Quick Guard (wide Protect for Priority moves) is. They have to move those moves up to +4... which would place Fake Out on the same bracket as Detect, Protect, King's Shield, and Spiky Shield. And if we move those up... actually I think everything would be okay, but see how many Moves you'd need to adjust just to assure Sucker Punch would attack before Extreme Speed (unless you're alright with it being on the same Priority bracket as it, even though faster Extreme Speed Pokemon will still hit it)?

Though going over the Priority bracket, I kind of realize its a bit of a mess, and it's all because of Fake Out. Fake Out is in the same bracket as Endure and Quick Guard, which means a fast Fake Outer could potentially be able to knock out an opponent about to use Endure or hit one that's about to use Quick Guard. Looking at it that ways Endure and Quick Guard should be +4. But of course Fake Out is more meant to be a scaring move, you startle the opponent first and I guess then get a quick hit in (otherwise it doesn't make sense why it makes contact or even do damage). So if that's the case shouldn't Fake Out be increased to +4 (and Detect, King's Shield, Protect, and Spiky Shield to +5)?

Also Feint is another one that has a slight problem as its suppose to remove the effects of Protect and variants but this has resulted Fake Out and Extreme Speed might not being able to benefit from its effect (unless that was the point of having some risk when using those moves). Honestly I think the whole Priority bracket needs a redo with them deciding how some of these moves work and adjusting it and everything around it to match.

Huh, this came out way longer than I thought it would be.

Starters being so obscenely elusive.
In any given Pokémon game, you tend to run into less than 5-7 trainers with the starters and it always bugs me.
Why don't more trainers have them?
Where does the regional professor get these mons from?
Why are we the only ones to receive these pokemon?
All these questions nag at me every time I play the games. And, I know the starters are there to encourage trading, but why doesn't GF create a post-game wild location for a few past gen starters...
Except in Platinum, did we fight trainers with starters except our rival ?
I can remember the Piplup camper girl next to the eterna forest and the Monferno ace trainer next to veilstone (that might only be in Pearl and Diamond).
I'm not trying to say that all Elite 4 members are on par with one of the most well-known movie villains of all time. I'm just saying that they're a bit more memorable than random youngster you fought on Route 206.
Are there even youngsters on Route 206?
I do think they should build up more of the E4's characters like the gym leaders. That is why I liked Flint. (Although they didn't really develop him THAT much)

I can remember the Piplup camper girl next to the eterna forest and the Monferno ace trainer next to veilstone (that might only be in Pearl and Diamond).

I do think they should build up more of the E4's characters like the gym leaders. That is why I liked Flint. (Although they didn't really develop him THAT much)
Gen 4 made sure to give trainers - significant or otherwise - all three stages of each starter; that's because it's built in a way where Pokédex completion = seeing every Pokémon - which includes all the starters. So yeah, there's a trainer with Piplup, one with Chimchar, one with Prinplup, one with Grotle, one with Monferno, one with Torterra and one with Empoleon. Turtwig was given to Gardenia and Infernape to Flint.

I should also note that I wasn't necessarily saying that the Elite 4 and Champion we have right now is done particularly well; but it would be an absolutely massive downgrade to just replace them with random trainers. Unless that's a small gauntlet that ends in your rival it just goes against the very meaning of Climatic in every way.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Earlier people were talking about an 'ORAS gentleman.' What did this guy say and why are people so angry about it?
At the Battler Resort there's a Gentleman who essentially says that there are Pokemon which are better than others and if you want to succeed you'll have to use those Pokemon. It's pretty much the opposite of what the Johto Elite Four member Karen said about "true trainers" using their favorites to win. Many competitive battlers have taken his words as GF admitting there are Pokemon which are superior over others.

I came to realize what was so lacking in Battle House. We don't get to rematch the chatelaines unlike Frontier Brains back then in continuous streak. I kinda wish to face them again in each 50 steaks just to get these ribbons and listen the cool music without sacrificing hundreds of streaks....

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
It really annoys me how some "first route" Bug-types get Sleep Powder and some don't. Really if some bugs have the ability to sprinkle sleeping powder on their opponents (like Vivillon), why can't others (like Dustox)?

Can I complain more again?

I am quite an interior designer, apparently, and loves Amie so much. Problem is, there's no way to show off the decorated PokeAmie room. At least I am content with a dreamy room I have made for my Pokemon, but I kinda wish I can show it off to other people too like Secret Bases....

Earlier people were talking about an 'ORAS gentleman.' What did this guy say and why are people so angry about it?
To be precise, it is this.
"It's one thing to enjoy leisurely battles, but real battles can be a severe trial. Truly strong Trainers sometimes must be prepared to choose Pokémon that can win rather than their favorite Pokémon."

There had been quite a debate as well, apparently. After playing BS-Triples, I came to hate this quote, along with Karen's, despite owning competitively decent Pokemon myself, along with loved ones, since this split the fanbase even worse and I'm sick of that wars. Just my silly opinion, but... one thing that Pokemon lacks now is other means of Pokemon's purpose other than battling, like the difficult Contests we had back then. Maybe if they can somehow, one day made anime's Trypokalon (Pokemon Showcase in English?) in games, or anything, that can give reason to exist for some other Pokemon.

Last edited:

I am quite an interior designer, apparently, and loves Amie so much. Problem is, there's no way to show off the decorated PokeAmie room. At least I am content with a dreamy room I have made for my Pokemon, but I kinda wish I can show it off to other people too like Secret Bases....

"It's one thing to enjoy leisurely battles, but real battles can be a severe trial. Truly strong Trainers sometimes must be prepared to choose Pokémon that can win rather than their favorite Pokémon."

There had been quite a debate as well, apparently. After playing BS-Triples, I came to hate this quote, along with Karen's, despite owning competitively decent Pokemon myself, along with loved ones, since this split the fanbase even worse and I'm sick of that wars. Just my silly opinion, but... one thing that Pokemon lacks now is other means of Pokemon's purpose other than battling, like the difficult Contests we had back then. Maybe if they can somehow, one day made anime's Trypokalon (Pokemon Showcase in English?) in games, or anything, that can give reason to exist for some other Pokemon.
Or do something similar to the Pokèathlon from HeartGold and SoulSilver. Just have a nice variety of different things that can give all Pokémon a place to shine. As long as it is more involved that Musicals. Cause that sucked. It would have been a waste of time if it wasn't for me being able to make Albert the Jellicent wear a top hat and a cane.

Or do something similar to the Pokèathlon from HeartGold and SoulSilver. Just have a nice variety of different things that can give all Pokémon a place to shine. As long as it is more involved that Musicals. Cause that sucked. It would have been a waste of time if it wasn't for me being able to make Albert the Jellicent wear a top hat and a cane.
Eh, I saw Musicals and I was like, meh. Getting a trainer's star there is like completing looooong checklist. What I dreamed is a non-battling competitive field like difficult Contests in the past (How I was proud with my contest master Flygon back in Emerald). Maybe even make it something that other forgotten Pokemon like Pikachu clones shine brightly when they can't in competitive battles.

Alas, I have never tried Gen 4 games to know what PokeAthlon is, but I saw that certain Pokemon has certain stats in some challenges. Maybe that could be one of it.

Looks like I'm a natural complainer, am I?

Another thing. I like to see Pokémon's personalities and thoughts. Won't it hurt one to see their Pokémon feeling not good of what one did when one asks the memory girl? I find it sad when it see this Jirachi thought she suffocated when I received it, or my previously especially precious Espeon with many memories hated it when it changed her nickname at the name rater, or others thinking of stupid things on trivial moments like using an item on them.

Looks like I'm a natural complainer, am I?

Another thing. I like to see Pokémon's personalities and thoughts. Won't it hurt one to see their Pokémon feeling not good of what one did when one asks the memory girl? I find it sad when it see this Jirachi thought she suffocated when I received it, or my previously especially precious Espeon with many memories hated it when it changed her nickname at the name rater, or others thinking of stupid things on trivial moments like using an item on them.
Um... what?

What pokemon did this 'ORAS gentleman' have on him? There's no point in listening to him if his pokes are crap...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What pokemon did this 'ORAS gentleman' have on him? There's no point in listening to him if his pokes are crap...
Umm... you do know that Battle Maison trainers have "random" teams, right? There are criteria for what Pokémon they may choose, but they don't have a set team of Pokémon. They're having a quite excellent discussion on this in the Maison thread right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)