Ability Unity!

Damn, I had hoped it wasn't the Inheritance one because Stall is still a thing and doesn't change much on that side. Like, there are still enough Pokemon to Inherit from to keep Regenerator and Unaware.

It also lets Gale Wings still have Moltres + Braviary / Staraptor / Chatot.

This is kinda why I wanted that 1 or 2 ability clause for each team but I guess TI decided

Baton Pass clause, though. You can't pass a boost in Speed along with another boost, and I'm not sure how helpful those boosts would be for Smeargle itself.

Anyway, I agree regarding an eventual Chatter ban. That move, along with Gale Wings, is almost on par with the hax brought by Serene Grace Skymin, which is very easy to abuse and can grant you virtually unlimited momentum. So I support the Chatter ban.
hmm I passed more than just speed to my hoopa-u and totally swept this person's team. (granted I had a ton of luck with misses and confuse, it still shows how the stats were passed)http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/abilityunity-353584667

Planet Crusher (Darmanitan) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Belly Drum

1516 Attack with 475 Speed after a Belly Drum. XD
Smack Down kills Flying-types like Moltres.

Machamp-Mega (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- Trick

Spamming Hyperspace Fury makes you even harder to take down, and hits through Protect. :)

Was feeling the Brave Bird Blues, and figured making a bird spam team would add a little sweet to my salty. More productive than BMing people on ladder, at any rate. Anyway, I found this set to be an amazing support mon for birdspam, and probably other forms of HO (but mostly birdspam for reasons I'll mention).

Accelgor @ focus sash
252 HP / 252 Spe Timid
Ability: Mold Breaker
Spikes
Encore
Bug Buzz
Final Gambit

Accelgor gets Mold Breaker from Pinsir, which lets it drop spikes right past magic bouncers. ( Encore them too ). Birds mostly hate bulky rocks and steels, who typically hate spikes and have low HP, which is why this works so well with them. Both spikes and final gambit mess with their counters badly. FG is also great for blocking rapid spin and defog, or removing mons who use them altogether. Encore is great for momentum.

With Regenerator / Unaware / Magic Bounce stall being so tough to deal with, this kind of absurd offensive pressure is basically necessary. I can't see balance or BO breaking those teams, unless they just forgot to pack an answer to your wincon bulky setup sweeper.

Something fun to do with Prankster:

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Thanks to Riolu, all pure Fighting-types get access to Prankster. What came to my mind was using Conkeldurr as an abuser of the SubPunch combo. It abuses the combination very well with 101 HP Substitutes (which is what the EVs are for) and its unrivaled-by-any-non-Mega-Fighting-type Attack stat. Knock Off is for coverage and utility; Drain Punch is somewhat filler but potentially allows Conk to gain back HP for more Substitutes.

Other abusers of Prankster SubPunch:
Much faster but weaker and more frail; packs U-turn but no other notable options (not to mention no Knock Off)
Faster and slightly bulkier on the special side, but does not get Drain Punch (for some reason)
Faster and with nice special bulk, but very frail on the physical side and lacks Drain Punch
Slightly bulkier but slower and weaker Hitmonlee, except it has Drain Punch but no Knock Off
Higher HP stat but weaker and with poor all-around bulk (and no Drain Punch)
Good all-around bulk and Pain Split, but it's weaker
Faster but slightly weaker and more frail; also gets Pain Split
The fastest abuser who can also use U-turn or Baton Pass

(Note: Conkeldurr, Hariyama, and Throh are the only ones on the list with 101 HP Substitutes. Gurdurr as well, but Gurdurr < Conkeldurr.)

The unfortunate thing about this strategy in general is that it gets destroyed by birdspam and Pixilate Hyper Voice, not to mention there is no pure Fighting-type with reliable recovery (the closest match being Throh and Sawk with Pain Split), but I thought I would share it anyway.

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
If you want to /ds all monotype pokemon of a certain type, you can use this
/ds !water type, !normal type, !fighting type, !flying type, !poison type, !ground type, !rock type, !bug type, !ghost type, !steel type, !fire type, !grass type, !electric type, !ice type, !psychic type, !dragon type, !dark type, !fairy type, all
and remove the exclamation mark in front of the type you want

If you want to /ds all monotype pokemon of a certain type, you can use this
/ds !water type, !normal type, !fighting type, !flying type, !poison type, !ground type, !rock type, !bug type, !ghost type, !steel type, !fire type, !grass type, !electric type, !ice type, !psychic type, !dragon type, !dark type, !fairy type, all
and remove the exclamation mark in front of the type you want
Or ya know just go in team builder and type in the type you want and scroll down… much easier in my opinion.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Something fun to do with Prankster:

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Thanks to Riolu, all pure Fighting-types get access to Prankster. What came to my mind was using Conkeldurr as an abuser of the SubPunch combo. It abuses the combination very well with 101 HP Substitutes (which is what the EVs are for) and its unrivaled-by-any-non-Mega-Fighting-type Attack stat. Knock Off is for coverage and utility; Drain Punch is somewhat filler but potentially allows Conk to gain back HP for more Substitutes.

Other abusers of Prankster SubPunch:
Much faster but weaker and more frail; packs U-turn but no other notable options (not to mention no Knock Off)
Faster and slightly bulkier on the special side, but does not get Drain Punch (for some reason)
Faster and with nice special bulk, but very frail on the physical side and lacks Drain Punch
Slightly bulkier but slower and weaker Hitmonlee, except it has Drain Punch but no Knock Off
Higher HP stat but weaker and with poor all-around bulk (and no Drain Punch)
Good all-around bulk and Pain Split, but it's weaker
Faster but slightly weaker and more frail; also gets Pain Split
The fastest abuser who can also use U-turn or Baton Pass

(Note: Conkeldurr, Hariyama, and Throh are the only ones on the list with 101 HP Substitutes. Gurdurr as well, but Gurdurr < Conkeldurr.)

The unfortunate thing about this strategy in general is that it gets destroyed by birdspam and Pixilate Hyper Voice, not to mention there is no pure Fighting-type with reliable recovery (the closest match being Throh and Sawk with Pain Split), but I thought I would share it anyway.
One cool thing that sprang to mind is that Throh (maybe others, but I can't remember) gets access to Prankster phasing a la Circle Throw, thanks to Resttalk.

I probably won't have time to play the rest of the month, so I thought I'd share a team that I used to climb the ladder. I lost my first battle with a completely different team, but even including that early hiccup, I've peaked at 18-3, 4th on the ladder, and an Elo of 1320. I then played 2 more games a few days later to reach 20-3, 6th on the ladder, and an Elo of 1349.

Peak One
Peak Two

Anyway, here's the team. Feel free to steal it, steal parts of it, counterteam it, or do whatever you want with it. I won't stop you.
Chesnaught @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch
- Spikes

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Roar

Charizard @ Charizardite X
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Chesnaught is very similar to OU Ferrothorn, except it has better recovery and synergy with this team. It handles nearly all physical threats in the Suicune/Chesnaught/Skarmory core, and it also forms a GWF core with Suicune and Char-X. I lead with Chesnaught 9/10 games, and it pays off in all of them. Be wary of other status- and KOff- users.

Suicune fits into the previously-mentioned physically defensive core and GWF core, notably being able to switch in and out, all the while spreading status and dealing chip damage. Suicune is especially helpful against Magic Bounce Mew, who it can status with Scald, and physically defensive Fire-types, who it can wall.

Charizard usually serves as the team's wincon against other stall teams, as well as a check to Mega Sableye and Magic Bounce Mew. After a SD, it terrorizes most of the slower parts of the meta with its dual STAB moves. All around, an excellent Pokemon, but I've considered replacing it with stallbreaker Mew.

Sylveon is the team's cleric and setup check. The EV's are tailored to optimally handle Contrary Sceptile, Illusion Mega Absol, and a number of other potent threats. It also forms a Dragon/Fairy/Steel core with Char-X and Skarmory, which is kinda neat.

Skarmory is a godsend to this meta, in which ~half of the teams you'll come up against have at least one Gale Wings bird. Skarmory whittles away at their health, Whirlwinds them out when they try to sub, and eats up hits with Roost. Not even Staraptor's Close Combat can break through this thing. Goddamn. Also, it has useful defensive synergy with the rest of the team and can provide Defog support. However, it sometimes struggles to find the time to Defog against certain teams.

Chansey eats up special hits all day. It often struggles to operate efficiently against Magic Bounce Mew teams, but it's still a useful Regenerator pivot to use in conjunction with Suicune.
Overall, this team has been extremely successful in the developmental stages in the metagame. It's struggled a lot with Magic Bounce Mew and Adaptability Tentacruel with Knock Off, but nevertheless, it usually comes through in those games anyway.

Some issues I've had: Certain Pokemon on this team have difficulty using certain moves. Notably, Skarmory's Defog, Sylveon's Heal Bell, and Chansey's Stealth Rock. It may be worth considering the possibility of dropping Chansey's SR in favor of Heal Bell, replacing Char-X with stallbreaker Mew, and running SR over Brave Bird or Whirlwind on Skarmory. Then maybe you could add Psyshock to Sylveon to bop Tentacruel, but idk.

I would've saved replays, but most of my good matches ending in my opponents' forfeiting.

Attachments

Still trying to understand how much this meta can arouse my curiosity. A couple things I noticed playing around the lower-middle ladder:
- balance is the prevailing style
- Magic Bounce, Regenerator, GALE WINGS are everywhere
- Suicune, Snorlax, Mew are amazing, they can run just too many sets!
- Prankster is not that broken, or at least not as much as I would have thought. Maybe it becomes more threatening in the upper ladder
- surprisingly (to me) weather setters are uncommon

At last I'd like to point out a probable bug: Showdown says this Alakazam set is illegal

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Counter

Magic Guard and Counter are marked as incompatible, but Alakazam can obtain them from itself or from Reuniclus too. Can someone check this?

Want to get the most out of your Calm Mind Florges?

It's a pretty simple set, in normal play, taking advantage of Florges naturally amazing SpDef to run max physical and turn into a deadly sweeper.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis

BUT.

In this meta, there's just one thing that makes this set more deadly.

Our friend Slurpuff is kind enough to lend us his Unburden ability.

Now, with an actually useful ability, this already powerful defensive sweeper can instantly become an offensive machine.

and our set becomes....

Florges @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Remove the threats and happy sweeping.

lepton

im fragile, but not that fragile
is a Tiering Contributor

Entei @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extremespeed
- Stone Edge
- Protect / Howl / Bulldoze

I have been having a ton of fun with this set on the ladder. Guts gives Entei a Choice Band boost with the ability to switch moves, so it becomes one of the best revenge killers in the tier because Espeed out-prioritises gale wings. Most switchins are crippled by a Sacred Fire burn, which is amazing.

Now that Prankster has been unbanned, Mandibuzz can get it from Murkrow. Its bulky af, which is really helpful in this meta, and now it has priority healing, as well as priority taunt. If hazard removal is not needed, it can also provide knock off support or spread toxic.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog / Knock Off / Toxic
- Foul Play
- Taunt

Another fun mon is Tentacruel, who gets intimidate from Qwilfish

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / idk Def / idk SpA / idk SpD / maybe 4 Spe or 20 to hit the 241 benchmark
Calm / Maybe Bold / Maybe Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald
- Giga Drain

The EVs can vary pretty largely based on the team. Even with intimidate, you might want some defense investment because it's still not very bulky physically. It's special defense is already really high without investment, so you won't have to fully invest in itunless you want it to take specs + weather boosted hits or something. You also might want at least some special attack investment.

If you wanted to make a defensive core with them, Sylveon synergizes well. It gets unaware thanks to Clefable. A bulky ground type would round out the core, covering Mandibuzz and Tentacruel's weakness to electric. Poison Heal Landorus-Therian/Gliscor would fill that spot and provide Stealth Rock support, so would something like Water Absorb Swampert who also covers Mandibuzz's rock weakness. Sylveon's Wish would help to heal the likes of Tentacruel and Swampert who don't have Healing moves of their own.

CB Drought Entei flat out OHKOs anything that doesn't resist Sacred Fire and 2hkos most that aren't immune. Scary, but birdspam gets it.

not sure if this is intentional but when i try to use defog + static zapdos (inheriting from emolga) it says its incompatible because its using static as zapdos' hidden ability which is incompatible with defog instead of getting static from emolga

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
not sure if this is intentional but when i try to use defog + static zapdos (inheriting from emolga) it says its incompatible because its using static as zapdos' hidden ability which is incompatible with defog instead of getting static from emolga
The Immortal

Speaking of Zapdos, I tried a nice prankster set for prankster defog and roost, however 4MSS is very unfortunate because you either have to forgo coverage or not run twave. Prankster Defog is very nice, however.

I also had a really cool idea last night and came up with a threat. Gonna get some replays when I can and will later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)