Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Is there a specific definition for the term "team-archetype" that is used in the tiering policy framework?
The point in the framework that uses this term is relevant to the current suspect, but I found it slightly ambiguous (does it mean very general archetypes like offense/balance/stall or more specific types of team like Rain or Trick Room?)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What's the best Raikou set atm? CM seems nice for balance breaking, AV seems like hard to use and specs is easy to predict
CM is the best set. AV is bad. Specs is really cool for wallbreaking, although I tend to prefer LO and Magnet over it.

What's the best Raikou set atm? CM seems nice for balance breaking, AV seems like hard to use and specs is easy to predict
CM is generally the most threatening but depending on your team, a set that makes use of Volt Switch can also be extremely useful. Choice Specs is the most effective set for a Volt switcher.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
CM is generally the most threatening but depending on your team, a set that makes use of Volt Switch can also be extremely useful. Choice Specs is the most effective set for a Volt switcher.
CM+Volt Switch is also pretty legit for its ability to function effectively throughout the match and is generally good its ability to handle a range of matchups.

So, I left smogon around the time when Mega Lucario/Mega Gengar/Greninja was banned (whichever was later of the 3). Not because of it, but just kinda fell out. So I look back to my old tier (OU), and I'm left wondering "what the hell?" Shadow tag banned? Baton pass? Why?

Was Wobb that OP? Or was it Shadow Tag? And even after the nerfs (ghosts being able to swap things like U-turn/Volt switch) was it that OP?

Thanks for the help

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
So, I left smogon around the time when Mega Lucario/Mega Gengar/Greninja was banned (whichever was later of the 3). Not because of it, but just kinda fell out. So I look back to my old tier (OU), and I'm left wondering "what the hell?" Shadow tag banned? Baton pass? Why?

Was Wobb that OP? Or was it Shadow Tag? And even after the nerfs (ghosts being able to swap things like U-turn/Volt switch) was it that OP?

Thanks for the help
Shadow Tag was banned because of Gothitelle. The council decided to suspect Shadow Tag instead of just Gothitelle because both Wobbuffet and Gothorita also have the same unhealthy characteristic in that they could easily trap and remove both walls (like Chansey, Heatran and Skarmory) and Stallbreakers (like Togekiss, Manaphy and Clefable). The whole discussion about the Shadow Tag suspect can be read here.

Shadow Tag was banned because of Gothitelle. The council decided to suspect Shadow Tag instead of just Gothitelle because both Wobbuffet and Gothorita also have the same unhealthy characteristic in that they could easily trap and remove both walls (like Chansey, Heatran and Skarmory) and Stallbreakers (like Togekiss, Manaphy and Clefable). The whole discussion about the Shadow Tag suspect can be read here.

Got it. Thank you. And can you also give me the BP ban? When I was last here, Smogon was against "Complex bans" So they were trying to keep drizzle but ban swift swim on the same team, and a few other things. So why the combo ban on BP and a Speed+(other stat) move?

Again, thank you so much for the help

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Got it. Thank you. And can you also give me the BP ban? When I was last here, Smogon was against "Complex bans" So they were trying to keep drizzle but ban swift swim on the same team, and a few other things. So why the combo ban on BP and a Speed+(other stat) move?

Again, thank you so much for the help
Baton Pass was discusses in this thread. I think the main reason why it was complex banned was to minimize the collateral damage of healthy Baton Passers (for example Celebi). If I remember correctly denissss made a few posts about what exactly needed to be banned, those posts sum up the ban pretty well.

That makes sense. I think the decision was kinda dumb and unfair for killing an archetype of team, but meh.

Thank you very much for your time

Martin

The Suspect Test is confusing
I punched my GXE (74.8) into the equation and got an N-value of 112. What do I do with this number?
That is the number of battles that you will require to get reqs with your current GXE score. Basically, 74.8 GXE needs 112 battles in order to reach 2700 COIL.

Hi guys :)

I would like to get some help regarding the Endless battle clause... Is Recycle and Berry Juice banned along with everything else? I checked the rules and it had nothing about it, only things like Leppa Berry and what not

Thanks

Martin

Hi guys :)

I would like to get some help regarding the Endless battle clause... Is Recycle and Berry Juice banned along with everything else? I checked the rules and it had nothing about it, only things like Leppa Berry and what not

Thanks
The combination of Sturdy, Recylce and Berry Juice is not banned because it does not allow for the creation of an endless battle. This is because both players will eventually run out of PP, and without any way of restoring the Berry Juice user's PP or the target's HP when it struggles an endless battle cannot be created. Also it can be switched out of, with a key characteristic of endless battles being the ability to trap the target on the field.

Is there any merit to using Kyurem over Kyurem-B at all aside from a slightly higher Special Attack, or is it just better to run a different dragon altogether?

Martin

Adding to that, it also fits reasonably well on balance for the same reason, being able to easily stall out low PP moves like Gyro Ball and Stone Edge due to luring them with its typing and being able to stall them out with Sub and Roost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)