ORAS OU I'm bad with names, but here's a team. [Updated 4/16]

So I've been working on a new team after spending a few months playing on and off. I wanted to put Charizard in it because he is my second favorite pokemon, and I haven't used him much since he came back to OU with X and Y. And since my first competitive Charizard back in gen 4 was a Sunny Day one, I decided to go with Mega Charizard Y as an homage to that. I started there and built my team around him.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

As I said above, I built this team for this guy. I always mega evolve him right away and the the sun going. Fire Blast boosted by the sun is trouble for anything that doesn't resist it. Solar Beam Hits several things that resist fire and the sun negates the charge turn. Focus blast is for those handful of pokemon that can take the first two attack, its also useful to use on a Tyranitar switching in. Roost keeps it alive.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

With 4 mostly offensive Pokemon I needed some defense, after looking into some cores, I decided to go with Slowbro and Clefairy, and they have worked well for the most part. Slowbro can deal with most physical threats and keep himself healthy with the combination of Slack Off and Regenerator. Scald is decent STAB, carrying the chance of crippling with a burn. Psyshock allows him hit Pokemon that have higher so def. Calm Mind replaced Thunderwave and gives him the power to sweep through teams.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunderwave
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock

Clefable is a fun Pokemon. Magic Guard can supply it with pseudo status immunity if it happens to get burned or poisoned, as well as making a nice pokemon to send into leech seed. Soft-Boiled is for reliable recovery, but I've been thinking about Moonlight instead as it would get a boost from Charizards sun. Thunderwave replaced Flamethrower on this set to help control speed and Moonblast is for STAB. Stealth Rock might seem a little odd when I have Defog, but its not crucial to the team, but it has come in handy.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

This guy replaced Latias as the defogger. With more attack power, and replacing Flamethrower on Clefable, I opted for Hidden Power Fire over Roost, And it does help deal with things like Ferrothorn and Bisharp. Draco Meteor is is his hard hitting move while Psyshock allows him to hit high Special Defense Pokemon.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch

Tyranitar replaced Bisharp as the Pursuit Trapper, and I have not regretted it at all. With the ability to hit harder and take hits he certainly does his part. Pursuit ensures the opposing pokemon will go down, or at least take a hit. Stone Edge is powerful STAB that will take a big chunk out of what doesn't resist it. Superpower gives me an option against steel types like heatran, or even other Tyranitar. Crunch is his final STAB move to be used when the opponent probably wont switch out.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Excadrill replaced Terrakion, but I'm still on the fence with this one. In the sand hes a beast with over 600 speed and the ability to do damage even without Swords Dance. Earthquake is STAB, along with Iron Head which is great for dealing with fairies that might give the rest of the team problems. Rock Slide gives great coverage , giving him a weapon against flying types. Swords Dance is for boosting attack, but I've probably used it once in all the testing with it, I'm considering replacing it with something else.

The team has definitely performed better since updating. But there's still issue, mainly Excadrill. If he's in a position where he doesn't need the Sand Rush boost he does amazing. However I find most if the time he doesn't get the boost, and in those handful of battles where he actually needs the boost I find myself having to go out of my way and wasting time to get Tyranitar out first. Thats why I'm thinking of putting Terrakion back in, or maybe a whole new pokemon.

Also here's a Replay of the team in action
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-359022347

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

One obvious flaw for Charizard is his Stealth Rock weakness. Among on the Rapid Spin and Defog users, Latios won the spot, mainly for her special bulk combined with the ability to hit hard. The combination of Draco Meteor and Psyshock allow her to hit both sides of the spectrum. Roost allows her to heal off life orb damage and keeps her alive in case she needs to use Defog more.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

I was torn between Weavile and Bisharp for this spot. In the end I went with Bisharp because his steal typing allows him more opportunities to switch into Latios or Latias. Defiant is also a plus as he always enjoys an attack boost. He also can counter Chansey which is a plus. Knock off is his go-to STAB move when the other 2 aren't advantageous, Knock Off is strong secondary STAB. Sucker Punch is powerful priority for faster threats. And last but not least is Pursuit which can take out many pokemon that flee.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head

This guy is a powerhouse, and the blistering 519 speed granted by choice scarf often catches people off guard allowing him to finish teams off. Close combat and Stone Edge are powerful STAB options, with one ore the other being able to OHKO or seriously dent most Pokemon. Iron Head gives him a pwerful option against fairies. The last slot was originally Rock Slide, but I changed it to X-Scissor to deal with bulkier Psychic types such as Celebi. In testing it appears to not be strong enough to merit usage, so I'm considering changing it again.

Last edited:
Hey Spidy, this team is pretty solid, so I'll only be suggesting minor changes to try to improve your team's focus and how it functions.

This is a bit of personal opinion, but I find Bisharp to be a subpar Pursuit trapper since it can't safely switch into the stuff it aims to trap, outside of maybe Chansey which it doesn't get off a lot of damage on with Pursuit. A lot of the time trapping Latios comes down to a 50/50 between Pursuit or Sucker Punch since if it switches into a Draco Meteor it can potentially die to the next one. For a much more consistent and reliable Pursuit trapper, and an member that compliments Charizard-Y by helping it break stall and balance, I think you should run Choice Band Tyranitar > Bisharp. Tyranitar when equipped with a Choice Band has insane power, and can OHKO the Latis with Pursuit whether or not they switch out, assuming they take Life Orb recoil or Stealth Rock damage. Its Pursuits against a switching Chansey also takes roughly half its health, which helps Charizard-Y a lot in stallbreaking since Chansey it usually the only thing on stall that can deal with it. It also 2HKOs a majority of stall staples.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 292-345 (45.4 - 53.7%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 266-314 (88.9 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 240-284 (75.2 - 89%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Mega Slowbro: 210-248 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 135-160 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 166-196 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 241-285 (61.3 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
Next, since your team doesn't have a win condition, I think you should run Calm Mind > Thunder Wave on Slowbro. This not only provides you with a win condition, but it also helps you beat Calm Mind Clefable after dropping Bisharp. Since you have a Choice Scarf Terrakion on your team, you don't really need Thunder Wave on Slowbro since it can check M-Pinsir and Charizard-X well enough to make up for it. You should also consider Thunder Wave > Flamethrower on Clefable for extra speed control. Flamethrower does have utility though since it helps you bait in and potentially take out stuff like Ferrothorn and both Scizor formes to support Calm Mind Slowbro. If you do want to run Thunder Wave on Clefable, you can consider Hidden Power Fire on your Lati instead of Roost / Recover so you can still support Slowbro in winning with Calm Mind late game.

Since you have Tyranitar and Clefable to check fast electrics reliably enough, as well as Clefable (to an extent) and Slowbro to check Keldeo, you don't really need Latias at all. Latias' niche is mainly lies in it having Healing Wish and extra bulk, but since you're not running Healing Wish and don't need the bulk, I think you should definitely run Latios > Latias for more sheer power. Lastly, X Scissor has no use on Choice Scarf Terrakion, especially since your team has Choice Band Tyranitar and Charizard-Y to take on the stuff it aims to hit like Celebi, Slowbro, and the Latis. So, for more accuracy on your Rock STAB so you don't get screwed over by a Stone Edge miss, you should run Rock Slide > X Scissor on Terrakion.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Recover / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave / Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch

Hope i was able to help!

p2

Banned deucer.
edit: celes beat me to it :(

hi, nice mega zard y team, but i have a couple of suggestions for you. the first thing i would change cb tyranitar > bisharp. this gives you a more reliable pursuit trapper since bisharp is prone to getting picked off by random hp fires and i don't particularly like it as a pursuit trapper anyway. tyranitar also brings sand which means that it can reset the weather for charizard, giving it 5 turns of sun whenever it comes in, instead of a potentially very limited sun duration. and because i suggested tyranitar which brings sand to the team, you can use excadrill > terrakion. excadrill functions as a sweeper with sand rush and i'm not too fond of the role terrakion fills on this team anyway, but this maintains a revenge killer which this team needs. it also brings an electric immunity so you don't get too pressured by the likes of mega manectric and raikou which can be annoying to face. i would also consider changing latios > latias, mostly because the set you are using on latias is outclassed by latios when it comes to offense. the main reason to use latias over latios is for the little extra bulk and healing wish, but i don't feel this team actually needs the bulk, so why not latios? latios does the same thing except it's much harder to switch into and the likes of clefable can be 2hkod if its slightly weakened. also if mega slowbro is an issue for you, just run toxic on anything, you've got excadrill and slowbro which can afford to run it, on excadrill it cripples common ground type switchins like landorus-t as well as other stuff like slowbro and tangrowth, while on slowbro it still helps to weaken stuff like talonflame and charizard x.

sets**

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic / Swords Dance

changes in short**
tyranitar >
bisharp
excadrill >
terrakion
latios >
latias

hope these changes could help and gl with the team

I love it when people who post in my rmts agree :)

i love band ttar, yet somehow when looking for a pursuit trapper, he completely slipped my mind, definitely gonna try him out. one question though, mainly to p2, what does important threats does 176 speed evs outspeed? i have hard times with speed tiers at anything below 300 @_@

gonna try latios too of course, with hp fire, if i find he deis to soon though, ill switch it to roost or recover

i was thinking excadrill when teambuilding, but i ended up not using him due to him being unlikely to get a sand rush boost, but now with ttar, ill try him too

also gonna give slowbro calm mind and see how clefable does with thunderwave

thanks for the help guys ^_^, ill let yall know how the team does and update with what i decide to keep

p2

Banned deucer.
176 speed on ttar lets you outspeed adamant azumarill but it hits around 202-203 speed so you can also outspeed the majority of mega venusaur too since it usually aims for 200 speed to outrun azumarill too.

Team turned out a lot better, updated thread with changes

Ended up using the lower speed on tyranitar, seemed to frail without the hp
dunno if the EV spread is gonna stay like that, i need to look and see what i actually want to outspeed vs what i can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)