ORAS UU The Gimmick -- Creative UU Team. Ranked #43 currently; 1649 Elo

Proof of Peak

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 12.51.51 AM.png

Hi, I'm Panther from Pokemon Showdown. I love using creative sets and under appreciated Pokemon, so I made a team to cater to that interest. It has been fairly successful so far, and they are all lots of fun to use. Here is my team!

Importable

1. Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Superpower
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head

Oh man, Durant is so fun to use. This is one of those Pokemon that is literally never seen in UU, but is still very effective. 109 is a very clutch speed tier, being able to outpace things like life orb Meinshao and Darmanitan, Arcanine, Entei and Infernape. Having hustle in tandem with hone claws makes this thing's damage output terrifying, and allows it with hone claws to break through things like Slowking and Forretress (with superpower). Superpower is used in order to not be walled by mega aggron, as stone edge is really sketchy without a hone claws boost and is generally not worth it. I like to preserve Durant late game as a cleanup Pokemon.

2. Chesnaught @ Assault Vest
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Chestnaught, while mainly used as a defensive spikes setter and a check to the likes of Crawdaunt and Swampert, is very capable offensively. An assault vest patches up its shoddy special defence, allowing to survive hits likes Nidoqueen's flamethrower, scarf Hydreigon's fire blast, and other strong special hits. This surprise factor alone is enough to take a hit from these threats and KO them with earthquake and drain punch respectively. In terms of the moveset, drain punch is needed sustain given the lack of leftovers; wood hammer is used as a more powerful secondary STAB and is great for nailing Suicune, Vaporeon, Jellicent and other fat water types. Earthquake is valuable coverage on the likes of Entei and Chandelure, which I notice enjoy switching in on Chestnaught, and stone edge is used to nail zaptos on the switch. The EV spread is used to maximize Chestnaught's overall bulk and attacking prowess, and bulletproof is used to switch in on things like choice locked chandelure, for example. His main role on this team is to be a tank: take a hit and threaten the opponent out with strong STAB and coverage. He is also used as a swampert check, which this team needs.

3. Slowking @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

This Slowking set is meant to force switches through the pressure of future sight, and is meant to switch in on the likes of nidoqueen/nidoking, salamence, crobat, as well as predicted resisted hits in order to either retaliate with a super effective move or predict a switch and use the appropriate coverage. Regenerator is chosen in order to allow Slowking to do this throughout the match, and choice specs is chosen in order to maximize its damage output. Future sight applies huge pressure and forces switches, which is especially useful with hazards up; furthermore, it serves as a way to gain momentum against the opposing team. Scald is used because it's the best move in the game, and ice beam and fire blast round out the coverage, hitting things like Salamence, Hydreigon, Roserade and Forretress super effectively. The HP investment grants Slowking as many switch in opportunities as possible, and maximum special attack investment ensures that he hits as hard as possible.

4. Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hazard stacking makes complete sense on this team, given the offensive pressure Slowking gives with future sight and the switches that forces. I considered adding Forretress, but its lack of offensive presence makes it a huge momentum drain on an offensive team like this one, and the ability to check Suicune is appreciated on any team given its popularity in the current meta. In terms of moves, sludge bomb and energy ball are used for strong STAB, OHKOing Whimsicott and leaving a serious dent in Suicune. Spikes is present for the aforementioned hazard stacking, and HP Fire ensures that I am not walled by other hazard setters like Forrettress. The EV spread is again simple: Speed and attack are maximized to hit as hard and fast as possible, with a timid nature preferred to outpace Nidoking and Mamoswine, as well as specs Chandelure. Finally, natural cure ensures that it can check Suicune more effectively, as it prevents it from being worn down by scald burns.

5. Arcanine @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat

Another commonly used defensive Pokemon that has forgotten offensive prowess makes an appearance on this team. This team is vulnerable to wallbreakers such as Entei and Chanelure, and needed a fire immunity. Given how 99% of Entei's and roughly 70-80% of Chandelure's are scarfed or specs (the last 20% is the rare calm mind variant), Arcanine makes for a great Pokemon to switch in on predicted fire-type attacks and gain momentum through the forced switch (as most Entei's and chandelure's are choiced). A choice band is used to secure neutral KOs after a flash fire boost, as well as 2HKO Suicune and Slowking (beating it if it tries and switch in) with wild charge. Extreme Speed is amazing priority that can't be passed up, and close combat is used to hit Snorlax and especially Porygon2 harder (the latter of which likes to switch in and get a flash fire boost). The EV spread is used for maximum wallbreaking capabilities, with 252 speed EVs being sufficient to outpace things like Jolly Mamoswine; a jolly nature really doesn't outpace much more, so an adamant nature is preferred.

6. Metagross @ Custap Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash

Step aside Azelf, a new suicide lead makes your presence not needed. This is a really fun lead to use and the idea behind it is that you first setup rocks, do as much damage as possible with your two STAB attacks, and hopefully explode if you take a hit and are at low HP. This ideally leaves a scenario in which I have rocks up, have done some damage, and killed an opposing Pokemon with explosion. Explosion is great to stop rapid spin, as well as almost always OHKO an opposing Pokemon. Zen headbutt and meteor mash are mandatory STAB, hitting most neutral Pokemon hard; stealth rocks is what makes this Pokemon the lead and is mandatory on every team; and explosion is used to take out an opponent when at low HP. The EV spread maximizes attack in order to allow explosion to hit as hard as possible, and max HP investment allows metagross to serve as a check to Florges and Whimsicott should it not explode in the second turn.

Threats List

Scarf-moxie Salamence.
If my chestnaught is weakened, then I usually have to sack a Pokemon in order to safely bring in Slowking and OHKO it with ice beam. If it manages to get to +2, then a loss is almost certain.

Non-choice banded Entei.
I know Entei carries a choice band 99% of the time, and my team can handle these variants effectively. However, the remaining 1% that carry lefties or a life orb are a huge threat. This is so because I nearly always swap Arcanine into a predicted sacred fire assuming the choice band. If it's not banded, then my Arcanine gets destroyed by stone edge, and my Slowking must then take unwanted damage in order to kill it.

That's the team! Any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading and have a nice day! ^_^

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Nothing about the team yet, but as for the formats of your RMTs I would really suggest using the import/export format for the moveset and EVs. The one you have currently is hard to read(maybe it's just me on mobile but idk) and it will make the team more appealing so that more people will want to rate it. Also it improves your chance of getting nominated for RMT of the Week. Team looks good and really fun. You need an importable. Gl with the team

Nothing about the team yet, but as for the formats of your RMTs I would really suggest using the import/export format for the moveset and EVs. The one you have currently is hard to read(maybe it's just me on mobile but idk) and it will make the team more appealing so that more people will want to rate it. Also it improves your chance of getting nominated for RMT of the Week. Team looks good and really fun. You need an importable. Gl with the team
Thanks for the feedback. I looked on my phone and the formatting was sketchy at best. Fixed now.

Firstly a proviso, I am not an experienced team rater, but having played a few matches with the team, I have to say I have found it very slow and therefore almost every Poke needs to absorb a hit before attacking. Hydreigon, Salamence, Chandelure, Zapdos and Darmanitan have been pains to face. Metagross plays like a HO lead, but the rest of the team is too slow or weak for HO. My suggestion is to rethink what playstyle you want, and if not HO replace Metagross with a bulky SR like Mega Aggron who can also provide speed control with Thunder Wave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)