League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hauntzer's engage seemed really poor in that last teamfight game 5, the rest of the team was right outside dragon pit and he jumps in past the river bush and tries to 1v5 in mid lane until the team showed up... His ult was actually great but it didn't look like TSM properly capitalized on it.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Brief thoughts on the mage update:

- Brand's new time bomb on passive is fun, but he's noticeably worse at poking since Q and passive deal less damage now. The updated ulti is incredible though, possibly broken.
- Malzahar kills baron too quickly lol
- Cassio E change is very much welcome. Now you can use E + Rylai to set up W or Q and then chain Es afterwards :). Cassio W feels super clunky though (set range -__-)
- New tear/seraph + rod/zhonya price drop + Kassadin = yay :D
- Vlad E feels really weird and doesn't seem to hit as many targets as the tooltip implies. Q empowered heal is crazy. I was at 10% HP and it brought me back to ~50% in just one use.. It's entirely possible to go from 1 HP to full with a 4-5 man ult + empowered Q

Last edited:

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
velkoz skill floor just got a lot higher because his ult tickles unless you deconstruct them beforehand, meaning aspiring velkoz players will actually need to (gasp!) hit skillshots to do damage

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
velkoz skill floor just got a lot higher because his ult tickles unless you deconstruct them beforehand, meaning aspiring velkoz players will actually need to (gasp!) hit skillshots to do damage
  • Life Form Disintegration Ray (R)
    • Damage increased to 550/800/1050 + (1.0 AP) from 500/700/900 + (.6 AP)
??????????

I mean yeah it can no longer proc his passive but the rewards for deconstructing an enemy first (literally E+W) are fucking ridiculous

Ampharos

I understand that, I'm just saying the damage on non-deconstructed targets, speaking as someone who's played it on PBE, feels really underwhelming compared to on live.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Viktor's E feels super clunky w/ the PBE changes, although being able to oneshot casters at lv.7 once again is great. Still would like them to reduce the delay because 1.25 is ridiculously slow. The delay on live is kindof bs fast but this is just silly.

Also he doesn't need waveclear buffs.

Ult does a ton of damage but ticking every 2s is kinda awkward.

Despite his greater damage output I don't like these changes. Riot did a great job making most other mages feel more smooth overall, but this one's just disappointing.

Maybe they want to make tanky viktor a thing idk.

Last edited:
RIP Viktor 2016.

To be honest, a lot of riot's recent changes don't make a lot of sense (the qss nerf in 6.9, the changes to dragon, Ekko, etc). I'm not all that surprised anymore.

Ampharos

Hopefully the QSS nerf means that we're gonna see long-term nerfs to a lot of the champions that benefit from this nerf (coughzedcough). I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt there for now.

The Dragon changes I actually like - competitive games are gonna be a lot more volatile and fun to watch early, which is good, and it adds a new layer of strategy to Dragon in general, which IMO has been feeling very lackluster as of late. The RNG aspect is unfortunate, but the alternative (making them spawn in a set order) would just force the meta to become "whichever comp abuses the first dragon spawn the best".

Not sure which Ekko changes you're referring to, so can't comment on that.

The one change to be revealed recently that I unequivocally dislike is the jungle timers thing. As an Amumu main I'd rather not get bodied every time my blue spawns, thanks. It just doesn't make any sense from a design standpoint - why give someone information about the enemy team that they've in no way earned. Dragon and Baron timers being global, I understand, because those are definitely NEUTRAL objectives. Your red and blue buff are not neutral, at least not earlygame, and there's no reason the enemy jungler should get crucial information like that. I mean, it gives them so much more than just when you took red/blue (your path in general, your clear speed, etc etc) that I legitimately don't understand Riot's reasoning.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Thing about Dragon and Baron is that their buffs are easily noticed once anybody on the enemy team is in sight. Outside of the initial 60-90 seconds of the game, it's rare for literally nobody to be in sight so you should almost always know exactly (+/- a few seconds) when they die anyway. That's not true of the jungle camps, a jungler on their initial clear may be seen late or not at all with their initial buffs. As you stated, it gives a lot of information on what the enemy jungler is doing for no reason. Later buffs aren't always grabbed on timer and the person who gets them might base or lay low for a bit and you have only a vague idea of when their buff camp was cleared. rito wtf r u doin

probably the same shit they were smoking when they came up with LOLDYNAMICQUEUE

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The delay on E is probably the biggest thing I'm not really liking. I kind of like the Q change if only because it makes a little more sense on Viktor's Hex Core having Mana behind it aside from just "I can spam more spells". IIRC, this also brings back the old Siphon Power where the shield increased when you augmented it (just in a different way). Removing the 40% damage reduction might make the E a bit more valuable though at least in teamfights that can have people lock down the opponent. The one change I like is the ult, though. The ult outside of its initial cast and the silence just felt weak overall (even when augmented) and increasing the tick damage AND decreasing the amount of time it takes to tick makes it really, really strong.

We'll have to see how the number tweaks go since it is a major overhaul of a lot of mages and Viktor is a bit lower in the priority. I think one thing to remember is, even though the E delay is much longer the impact of the ult is definitely not something to sweep under the rug in AoE comps.

The one change suggested unrelated to the Mage updates that's... really interesting is the Lifeline change on Sterak's. So now Sterak's and Maw's passive retains the same unique passive name, but have varying effects. I guess Riot wasn't happy with the Maw / Sterak's stacking.

Last edited:

Jibaku

As far as tweaks go, this is coming up:

E travel speed: 780 -> 1200. Aftershock speed increased as well
Aftershock delay: 1.25s -> 1s
Aftershock damage: 40-160 (+0.6 AP) -> 20-180 (+0.7 AP)

Changes look alright. The initial laser seems crazy fast (~morg Q speed iirc), and the reduced dmg at early levels is meaningless since you get upgrade at laser rank 3 or 4 anyways (base damage breaks even at 3). 1s delay -may- still be a bit long but with the insane damage potential (410 +1.2 AP lol) it's probably fine. Idk how fast the aftershock speed is but I'd imagine that it would be impossible to dodge if you're on its path once the explosion begins.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As far as tweaks go, this is coming up:

E travel speed: 780 -> 1200. Aftershock speed increased as well
Aftershock delay: 1.25s -> 1s
Aftershock damage: 40-160 (+0.6 AP) -> 20-180 (+0.7 AP)

Changes look alright. The initial laser seems crazy fast (~morg Q speed iirc), and the reduced dmg at early levels is meaningless since you get upgrade at laser rank 3 or 4 anyways (base damage breaks even at 3). 1s delay -may- still be a bit long but with the insane damage potential (410 +1.2 AP lol) it's probably fine. Idk how fast the aftershock speed is but I'd imagine that it would be impossible to dodge if you're on its path once the explosion begins.
Yeah, that alone looks a lot better than originally proposed. 1 second might seem long, but with the removal of the damage reduction I could understand it from a counterplay perspective. Would also make Rylai's that much more appealing to Viktor than ever before (especially with the current ult changes).

Any new changes to Malz since they announced his stuff? Right now I currently see he can clear Dragon within less than 5 minutes in the game and not even really needing a back. That W is really going to cause a lot of weird concerns - especially if, for some reason, it gives Malz power to solo baron.

Hey guys, I recently hit Gold. How hard is it to get to platinum from here? I've been stuck in Gold 5 for some time now. Any advice on climbing from those who have gotten past this elo?

Ign: mystiking

Ampharos

focus on last hitting, don't chase kills, and if you feel yourself tilting stop queueing and take a break

focus on getting better, not climbing ranks, work on your macro play, monkeying your way through ranks without regard to the minimap isn't gonna work forever.

and please do stop queuing if you're tilted.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Don't look now guys but we're getting a cute girl champion again

jesus christ it's been over two and a half years since jinx

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Played new Viktor. The E change is definitely weird and the upfront burst on the Ultimate is kind of missed, but if the enemy can remain in the tick or remain in the zone of the Evolved E it is nuts what he can do.

Rylais Viktor is your friend fam. Don't forget it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)