Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why am I a mod of this forum? (Agora)
every moderator has mod powers here, with the idea being if you add/change staff you can update that sticky, in addition to just generally coming in and moderating once in a while. it's to avoid having dedicated moderators where there don't need to be any.

Whenever I have tried connecting to Pokemon Bank recently I have been getting Error Code 001-0502 consistently. I am able to connect to the store and internet browser, but not Bank. Any advice?

Long post, so please bear with me. I actually have two questions, but before asking them I'd like to make a few observations:

1ª: Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I looked at the other subforums and read their descriptions and threads but none seemed to fit my questions, so I decided to post here.

2ª: I know it is strictly forbidden to discuss about ROMs here, and I neither want to talk about them nor do I want the answer to be about them, but since one of my questions revolves around their use, I'll need to mention them. If even that much is not allowed either, again, I apologize and the Mods may delete my question.

With that being said, I ask:

Question 1: Back in Gen IV it was common to use .pkm files to distribute and trade pokemon. Back at that time, there were Giveaway threads here on Smogon in which the OP would upload the .pkm file and post the download link, so that people could download them. That was normal until Smogon decided to forbid pokemon distribution by this method. Back when it was still allowed I download some of these files and used the program "Legality Checker" to check them before sending them to my SoulSilver cartridge. My question is: is Legality Checker really hack proof? Can I be completely sure that the pokemon is not hacked if it says so and safely transfer it to my cartridge? Or was there some kind of "high quality" hack that could fool it?

Question 2: Is it considered legal / legit to use pokemon transfered from ROM files played with an emulator on PC? I intend to do some breeding/Soft Reset/Pokeball Color Matching on SoulSilver (and later transfer them to Y) and I would like to know if this is considered OK among the community. Does pokemon obtained through this method allowed to be traded/given away here on Smogon? Please, bear in mind that I HATE any kind of cheating, so there would be no use of cheat codes, AR, Pokémon Edit and not even the use of Save State feature. The game would be played normally, like one would on a physical cartridge.

And before someone advices me to buy the original game instead, I actually do own a original SoulSilver cartridge, but it has an already completed game with some legendaries caught and some event pokemon that I would like to keep, so deleting it is not a option. And I can't transfer them to my pokemon Y cartridge either, because I don't have pokemon Black / White to chain trade them. I live in Brazil and last year Nintendo has officially "pulled out" of my country due to high tariffs on electronics, so they don't sell their products here anymore, which means no pokemon Black or White anywhere. I'll be getting it from an US online store in the future, but can't afford it right now, since, as I write this, 1 US$ is worth almost 4 times my country's currency. For example, the last copies of Pokemon X / Y that are still on the market are being sold for about 78 US$.

Thank you and sorry about the long post.

So, I downloaded the pokemon showdown app and created an account there for showdown. But after I exited out and tried to log back in, it said that someone was using my username. I tried to log in on the computer too, but it said the same thing. Does anyone know if I can recover my account?

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hey, DimensionGaming! Welcome to Smogon!

I think your question would best be suited in the Pokemon Showdown SQSA thread because it relates to that. However, I think I may be able to help you with your problem. Was the username registered? And did you use the username on a different IP and perhaps forgot to log out?

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Long post, so please bear with me. I actually have two questions, but before asking them I'd like to make a few observations:

1ª: Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I looked at the other subforums and read their descriptions and threads but none seemed to fit my questions, so I decided to post here.

2ª: I know it is strictly forbidden to discuss about ROMs here, and I neither want to talk about them nor do I want the answer to be about them, but since one of my questions revolves around their use, I'll need to mention them. If even that much is not allowed either, again, I apologize and the Mods may delete my question.

With that being said, I ask:

Question 1: Back in Gen IV it was common to use .pkm files to distribute and trade pokemon. Back at that time, there were Giveaway threads here on Smogon in which the OP would upload the .pkm file and post the download link, so that people could download them. That was normal until Smogon decided to forbid pokemon distribution by this method. Back when it was still allowed I download some of these files and used the program "Legality Checker" to check them before sending them to my SoulSilver cartridge. My question is: is Legality Checker really hack proof? Can I be completely sure that the pokemon is not hacked if it says so and safely transfer it to my cartridge? Or was there some kind of "high quality" hack that could fool it?

Question 2: Is it considered legal / legit to use pokemon transfered from ROM files played with an emulator on PC? I intend to do some breeding/Soft Reset/Pokeball Color Matching on SoulSilver (and later transfer them to Y) and I would like to know if this is considered OK among the community. Does pokemon obtained through this method allowed to be traded/given away here on Smogon? Please, bear in mind that I HATE any kind of cheating, so there would be no use of cheat codes, AR, Pokémon Edit and not even the use of Save State feature. The game would be played normally, like one would on a physical cartridge.

And before someone advices me to buy the original game instead, I actually do own a original SoulSilver cartridge, but it has an already completed game with some legendaries caught and some event pokemon that I would like to keep, so deleting it is not a option. And I can't transfer them to my pokemon Y cartridge either, because I don't have pokemon Black / White to chain trade them. I live in Brazil and last year Nintendo has officially "pulled out" of my country due to high tariffs on electronics, so they don't sell their products here anymore, which means no pokemon Black or White anywhere. I'll be getting it from an US online store in the future, but can't afford it right now, since, as I write this, 1 US$ is worth almost 4 times my country's currency. For example, the last copies of Pokemon X / Y that are still on the market are being sold for about 78 US$.

Thank you and sorry about the long post.
Hi there! Sorry I'm not too familiar with Smogon's Wi-Fi scene but may I redirect you to Wi-Fi forum's Simple Questions thread. More likely you'll be able to get an answer there :) Wi-Fi Forum Rules might also answer some of your questions.

Welcome to Smogon~

Hey, DimensionGaming! Welcome to Smogon!

I think your question would best be suited in the Pokemon Showdown SQSA thread because it relates to that. However, I think I may be able to help you with your problem. Was the username registered? And did you use the username on a different IP and perhaps forgot to log out?
Ok, I will post my question there too to see if I can find an answer there. To answer your questions, it was not registered until I registered it on the android app, and I did use a different wifi then the one I use on my computer. I did not logout, but rather just exited the app, which might have caused my account to go into a limbo where it is still logged in, but the app thinks I am logged out (if that makes any sense). Either way, thanks for helping! :)

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Greetings fellow Smogon members,

I wanted to ask a question:

I recently wanted to reply to a post in a thread here on Smogon and while typing my reply I noticed that somebody had already answered that question slightly before me.
I then proceeded to erase my message and left the thread.
However, when I came back later to read some of the new posts, I noticed that my draft from earlier was still there.
Is there a way to get rid of that draft? I've logged out and wiped the cookies, cache and logged back on just to see that it's still there.

Did anybody else had this happen before?

Thank you in advance for reading, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Greetings fellow Smogon members,

I wanted to ask you a short question:

I recently wanted to reply to a post in a thread here on Smogon and as I was typing my reply I noticed that somebody was faster than me and already answered that question slightly before me.
I then erased the message I was about to type and left the thread. However when I later came back to read more of the new replies, I noticed that my draft from earlier was still there.
Is there a way to get rid of that draft? I've logged out and wiped the cookies, cache etc, and logged back on just to see that it's still there.

Does anybody else had this happen to him or her before?

Thank you in advance for reading, much appreciated.

Best greetings.
Happens to me all the time. Fortunately, the fix is easy! All you have to do is delete all the text and then press 'Save Draft' using the button shown below:

Excuse how bad I am at circling things XD

Threw

cohiba
For some reason I can't PM a certain user. They don't have me on ignore or anything (I'm not entirely sure what this function does, but I can comment on their wall and participate in group PMs with them, if that rules it out) but every time I enter their name into the "Start Conversation" box, it just says, "You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: [User I'm Trying to PM]". What can I do/where can I go to resolve this issue?

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For some reason I can't PM a certain user. They don't have me on ignore or anything (I'm not entirely sure what this function does, but I can comment on their wall and participate in group PMs with them, if that rules it out) but every time I enter their name into the "Start Conversation" box, it just says, "You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: [User I'm Trying to PM]". What can I do/where can I go to resolve this issue?
There's an option where you can block all pm's and vm's as well. Only smods, admins, and gmods can pm/vm them

Hi there! Sorry I'm not too familiar with Smogon's Wi-Fi scene but may I redirect you to Wi-Fi forum's Simple Questions thread. More likely you'll be able to get an answer there :) Wi-Fi Forum Rules might also answer some of your questions.

Welcome to Smogon~
Thank you for the tip, Sandshrewz. The Wi-Fi Forum Rules indeed answered one of my questions. Guess I didn't looked enough into it. I'll do a little more digging about the other question before asking there, though. Thanks again.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
~Question 2 snip~
Many users have Pokemon that have been RNGd/Captured on Emulators. They are fine to be traded as long as you say that they were caught on an
Emulator, but some users may not value them as highly as Pokemon that were caught entirely on retail.

Many users have Pokemon that have been RNGd/Captured on Emulators. They are fine to be traded as long as you say that they were caught on an
Emulator, but some users may not value them as highly as Pokemon that were caught entirely on retail.
Oh, I see it. Thank you for the clarification, Legofigure11.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Once you leave a convo you can no longer be readded to the same convo. You can try adding the user, and it'll seem like it worked, but the user themselves cannot see or respond to the convo like they once could.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)