Smogon Tour 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
For what little my opinion actually matters in this, but I am all in favor of restricting the time players have after a a challenge is issued until the opponent actually accepts the battle. As a host, I find it's a major annoyance that player spend 10/15/20 minutes doing who-knows-what before trying to play. Smogon Tour is live, and while I get you can't spend forever sitting at your computer waiting for your opponent you shouldn't be off doing something else while you're still in the tournament. It's not all that unreasonable to expect both players to be able to play in 5 minutes or so when they get challenged.

Though, on the time-since-challenged policy, you don't actually get a timestamp when challenging someone, so I don't know if a screenshot of the challenge window is feasible (not having timestamps enabled/faking the timestamp by pming them eariler). If this is the route taken, you'll probably need to include the lobby chat in the "proof" for a reference point and pm your opponent right as you challenge them/shortly afterwards. And require people to have timestamps on if they want to make this claim at all.

why would you need to do all these things?
All you need is basically implementing disallow spec and puting a restriction on replays (save replay only if both players agreed)

Last edited:
Reactions: e7e

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Smogon official tournaments, especially Tours, are fun because of the clueless spectators saying dumb things in the chat. Why would anyone suggest taking that away? Maybe build an additional team or two. That'll help mitigate the counterteaming issue.

Or ask me nicely for my Zapdos and Mandibuzz team. You can use that every game and still win.

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Just use 100 alts and change your teams. you can copy teams everywhere nowadays or just build your own teams.
I always found watching the battles of many people at the same time the most entertaining thing in STours.

Disabling replays during stour could be a cool alternative tho.

Last edited:
Oglemi I like your idea but there's an even easier one. When a battle ends a replay link is provided only to the two players involved in the battle. These links act as a log that the player keeps similar to pastebin logs in the past. The two players involve can either keep this replay or ignore it. Other people who want the log can only get it if the two players involved provide it. If they don't then the people can just be satisfied with Copy pasting the log into a pastebin like the old times.

Basically remove the ability of searching for a replay and finding it.

I was rushing (Cause tour thread was going up real soon) so I didn't read through the thread just the Oglemi post since it alerted me (since he quoted me). But yeah what leftiez said.

tehy

Banned deucer.
what if the smogtours lobby just had a 'room tournament' going, and the players in said room tournament were the people who signed up on forums?

(i know right now the tournaments script can't fuck with b03 or anything, but that would be a nice functionality to add in anyhow)

This might seem rude but I dont see any problem. Just use more teams, it aint possible that people still use the same team for the whole tournament and then cry cuz got cteammed. Thats a 'punishment' for not being versatile. Also you can use alt and let your opponent use one too. That usually works to R1-R3. Yeah at least reduce time people have for challenge but there may be some issues, like, what if the hoster has made something wrong with bracket or a player has a urgent (and actual) need to go to bathroom or else? Can this feature recognize players who have still to wait their previous round oppos due to stall vs stall? #bringback15mintimelimit
I believe we could set a timer whose end allows tour hoster to decide, case by case, to dq a player who have not started yet his match.
Let spectators and replays be alive, this sort of whine happens due to lazyness in picking up different teams
Also there's people like Ciele or xtrashine who have won a Tour just using 2 teams

Last edited:
Also cteamming is a double edged weapon since counterteams usually suck facing totally different playstyle they expected. I mean it's like a player known for just using stall teams whines because his opponent brought a team composed by just stallbreakers and wallbreakers: it's just his own fault. Being unpredictable on teambuilding is part of a tournament player skill imo

Last edited:
I agree it's a stupid complaint. We all have the same resources, use em how you choose. You can ct just as much, or just use different teams. + watching other games and replays is what makes st fun honestly, way more than just my own games that's what I look forward to. I'd go further and say ban playin on stupid alts.
I want to see that masterclass and tdk are playing, not go scanning through the battle list for -insert soccer player- vs "despair eternal"
Just cuz you wanna get away with usin the same lazy balance 7 times doesn't mean everyone else should lose out

We can go back and forth all day about this topic but it gets us no where.

There is no right or wrong. I agree that watching the best play pokemon is enjoyable and its fun watching a live tour. But everything you said is from a spectator's perspective. What about the player? Is he really having fun when he has to worry all the time about counter teaming? I dont use alts so I can keep using the same lazy balance for 7 rounds. I use my best chance of accumulating points for 7 rounds. If the same team wins me games then so be it. Regular season just gets you to the main stage. You can allow spectators for semi final and final of live tours. Thats when the players are satisfied with the points they earned that day. The spectators also get to watch the most important games of the day.

Yeah let's just all hide under alts, not too much of a problem. Even better, let's play under alts on a separate server. Log off the account so I can scout out replays, can't be challenged so this suggested battle accept timer can't start, and when I am ready I will log back on. "Everyone can counterteam so you can too", not knowing who to challenge half the time, and being accused of counterteaming when I make a play or happen to have the right mons, really fun. Can't believe so many people care to watch pokemon battles that the players can't get one tiny compromise in this toxic tour environment and are just told to deal with it. I guess since I don't really care to spectate that much I wouldn't understand just how great we have it now huh...

i think the best solution is there being a buffer in the replay viewer for a few hours like you said but the replay being fine still if you have the link for it

that way you can immediately post replays and show them to friends but you can't get cted in tour

Seeing as I clinched play offs without even playing the last 2 weeks which include my two best tiers, I figured I should remind you:
This isn't an explanation but It's true that sometimes I don't care about the play offs, but facts are facts:

I have made 4/4 of my last Play off attempts DESPITE NOT CARING. The only smogon tour that I didn't make the play offs in that last 5 seasons was the one I got banned in (season 19), in which i didn't play a single game.

edit: That being said, take note world, This will be the first smogon tour where I will actually give a damn. Lets see if y'all can handle me.
Expect me to be top 5 seed when im done with BW and DPP. I know that isn't a position worthy of my skill but It will have to suffice since I performed pretty badly in ORAS and BW this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)