Monotype Teambuilding Competition Week #6: Dragalge + Beedrill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Wanka for winning week 5! You're in the hall of fame for 2 weeks straight!
I saw some really nice teams this week, keep up the good work everybody!

Now, for this week's theme... (sorry for the lack of good gifs)

Dragalge, and...

Beedrill!
This week's teambuilding deadline is 5/10
This week's voting deadline is 5/13
Thank you to everyone who participates, and good luck!

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.

Beedrill-Mega (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Drapion (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Battle Armor
Jolly Nature
- Ice Fang
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
- Focus Blast

Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Dragalge (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

Mega Beedrill is the first Pokemon in this core. Pretty standard set. Protect is there for getting a free mega, Poison Jab is a STAB move and hits really hard with the Adaptability boost, then we got U-Turn for secondary STAB which helps gaining momentum and Drill Run is there to hit things like Heatran and other mons that resist Beedrill's two STAB moves.

This team has two scarfers, Drapion being the first one due to it's access to moves that I really wanted on this team. Rock Slide is there mainly for Mega-Charizard Y which all Poison teams struggle with and also Flying types in general. Ice Fang also hits Flying types as well as Ground types, notably Garchomp and Landorus, although Drapion is pretty weak so damage on those two is needed or Drapion can be the one to get off damage for something to revenge. Knock Off is there for STAB and utility of course because it knocks off the opponent's item which is always appreciated. Earthquake is there to to hit Fire, Steel, Steel and Rock types.

Nidoking is a very powerful wallbreaker with Sheer Force and Life Orb with great coverage moves. I had to put Stealth Rock on it because I couldn't fit Nidoqueen on the team, I really wanted to keep the Amoongus which I'll get to later. Sludge Wave and Earth Power are Nidoking's two STAB moves which hit very hard and and are great for wallbreaking. Flamethrower is there to provide Fire coverage for the team because it lacks it but mainly something to hit Mega Scizor with. Stealth Rock is the final move because hazards are always nice. Ice Beam was the move I originally would've went with but I already have two Ice moves on the team as it is.

Gengar is the second scarfer. It carries HP Ice for the same reason Drapion carries Ice Fang. Both Landorus forms and Garchomp are very big threats and both are bulky and fast. Shadow Ball for STAB, also something to hit Ghost types with because they resist Poison. Most mons on the team carry things for Steel types or mons that resist the other two moves, so Focus Blast is obviously the last move, very useful in certain match-ups. And Trick is the last move to cripple walls or set-up mons, nothing more to say about this move.

This is a Mega Beedril based team obviously, meaning Mega Venusaur isn't there to make Water and Ground users' time miserable. That's why I decided to add Amoongus to help out with these two match-ups and made it physically defensive because 1. Ground is more of a physically offensive type and 2. It takes a hit from +2 Mega Scizor at full and can Spore. I put Sludge Bomb over Clear Smog because the biggest set-up threat to Poison is Mega-Scizor and that won't affect it. HP Fire or Foul Play are decent options on Amoongus to deal with Mega Scizor because after Spore it has to switch to Nidoking and Flamethrower which means the opponent can sack a mon to sleep and come back in. On most Amoongus sets there isn't any recovery, Regenerator is usually it's form of healing up. However a lot of times, mainly vs Water and Ground, you're gonna want to keep Amoongus in and not switch around so that's why I put Synthesis in there.

Dragalge is the last Pokemon on the team and the second Pokemon of this core. I already have Nidoking as a special wallbreaker and there's also Gengar who hits on the special side so I decided to make this a specially defensive Dragalge with Toxic Spikes. Draco Meteor and Sludge Wave are it's two STAB moves and even without investment it hits decently hard with Adaptability (fun fact, both Pokemon in this core have Adaptability), and Scald is there to get some burns obviously, and also some Water coverage. I thought about HP Fire on this but I decided I'd rather burn Mega Scizor because it eats HP Fire, especially if it's a bulky variant. Toxic Spikes are there for whittling down the opposing team and picking up kills easier.

Last edited:

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Protect / Drill Run
- Knock Off

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

Nidoking @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earth Power
- Superpower
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 224 HP / 240 Def / 4 SpA / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play / Synthesis
- Stun Spore

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam / Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Ice / Energy Ball

Skuntank @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 228 Atk / 136 Def / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Crunch / Pursuit
- Defog

This has to be by far my favorite core that I've built for this competition! Mega Beedrill is personally one of my favorite megas, and its a ton of fun to built around.

Anyways, Beedrill was the 1st mon in the core, because its so fast I didn't necessarily need to run a Scarfer (although, I was trying to fit in this cool Toxicroak set, but my dreams were crushed when I saw that I used up my last slot and forgot Skuntank rip). He in itself can sweep Psychic entirely bar Victini, and be able to outspeed dangerous threats like Scarf Gardevoir, Scarf Togekiss, Scarf Chandelure, ect (basically it outspeeds base 80 scarfers by merely 1 speed point). U-Turn is used over X-Scissor to keep momentum. I put Knock Off on it over Drill Run because I like it's utility better, and it does more damage (in case like a nearly guaranteed chance to OHKO Chandelure, I'd much rather that take).

Dragalge is the 2nd mon in the core, and acts as a Special Wallbreaker/Handy Fire Switchin. With Choice Specs slapped on it Dragalge is insanely powerful, being able to threaten a bunch of mons with STABdaptability Draco Meteor (even mons that resist it)! HP Fire is to cover mainly Scizor, as he can threaten the team in particular, and Focus Blast is generally for Steel mons that resist both its STABs.

Next I have Nidoking as my Mixed Attacker/SR setter. Superpower gives it a new-found range of coverage it didn't have before, being able to hit Air Balloon Heatran and Cradily with little trouble (also not to mention is great to deal with Chansey). The rest of the set however is pretty self explanatory.

This is my own Amoongus set I tailored a while back for a Poison Core Challenge I did a while back (unfortunately I was beaten out rip). Dual Status is pretty fun, you can spore 1 mon, get it to switch out, and Stun Spore the switchin, I love it! Giga Drain is mainly a general Grass Attack so I can do some damage vs Water and namely Keldeo. Foul Play is to deal with mons that feel they can boost against it. Regenerator is a great ability, especially for recovery, so I felt Synthesis wasn't needed.

Gengar acts as my fast Special Attacker/Sweeper. The cool thing about it is that it can take on many roles/fill in holes where coverage is needed most. Here I made it LO to give it more firepower, considering it's speed is already at a high level. Sludge Bomb is preferred here over Sludge Wave because I think the 30% poisoning chance us much better than a mere 5 more base power. Dazzling Gleam is coverage for Dragon and Dark types, and HP Ice is to check Landorus I, Garchomp, and Dragonite.

Skuntank was chosen over Drapion for 2 reasons: 1, Priority (and a reliable Victini check), and Hazard Removal. I like to run LO to boost it's attacking power up a pinch, I personally don't see a need to run Black Sludge. What's really nice about it though is Aftermath, which allows it to deal 25% damage upon dying to a Contact move--pair that up with Sucker Punch, and it can help cripple many dangerous threats to the team! You could honestly run Pursuit over Crunch to Pursuit trap, but, to me I liked a general Dark attack that doesn't have a chance of failing/low BP (plus, I don't mind the -defense effect it often has, makes it easier to wear down certain mons along with Poison Jab).

I just want to take a moment to give a huge thank you to 6TI for taking on this project, I know its probably a lot for you, but I just wanted to tell you you've been doing a great job! :)

Last edited:
So apparently I am physically unable to use a goddamn calendar.
The teambuilding deadline for this week is 5/11, not 5/10.
The voting deadline for this week is 5/14, not 5/13.

Next week's poll is up! Choose between Grass, Ground, or Flying for next week!
The poll will end in around 6 hours or so.

e: Poll has ended!

(prntscr wasn't working, so I can't link the screenshot. Sorry)
Next week will be grass!

Last edited:

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...

Beedrill-Mega (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Scald

Skuntank @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Flamethrower

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Acid Spray

Roserade @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Extrasensory
- Sludge Bomb

Ok so for the core Dragalge and Beedrill Mega, i used a somewhat offensive core with Toxic Spikes support, when i originally made a team around this core it was similar to Dece1t and Confluxx 's cores, so i decided to change things up a bit.
Mega Beedrill's role is basically physical powerhouse, it helps vs psychic and outspeeds threats like scarf Togekiss and LO/Specs Lati@s.
Dragalge is the second part of this core, Dragalge helps vs Mega Charizard Y and returns alot of damage with Adaptability
Roserades main goal is to counter hippowdon, seismitoad and other ground threats that poison has a hard time dealing with.
Hazards + Hazard Control
Levitate, helping the team out with EQ spam, except mold breaker Excadrill which is not as common now a days as Sand Rush.
The Psychic Immunity :)

I dont really main poison, but i guess you can say i tried my best. This team isnt perfect, still has many threats like Victini, Excadrill, Garchomp etc.

Good Luck to everyone Competing!

Last edited:

Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

Skuntank @ Life Orb
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mega Beedrill is a very strong pokemon, it provides a nice speed and power to the team, outspeeding and OHKO'ing a lot of pokemon that threaten poison such as scarf togekiss, scarf gardevoir, , etc. Poison Jab and U-Turn are its STAB moves which gain a boost thank do adaptability. Knock off can be replaced by drill run but the utility it provides is better in my opinion.
Lastly, protect is used to Mega safely, however, sometimes it will be very obvious so you can take an advantage of that ;)

Skuntank is the psychic immunity. I went for an offensive life orb variant as it can hit pokemon as hard as possible with sucker punch (mostly psychic types), also, the combination of Sucker Punch and Aftermath lets you take down big threats such as Staraptor (Scarf/Band), Darmanitan, etc.
Fire Blast is used as a lure for some steel types such as Skarmory, Scizor, Bisharp and Ferrothorn.

Gengar is very useful. He acts as the ground immunity that prevents the earthquake spam and also, with it's high speed and coverage, it is very effective as a revenge killer.
You could use the same set with life orb to check ground teams better, however, it leaves the team very weak to scarf pokemon, mainly Dragon types.

Due to its bulk, it is a reliable check to pokemon such as Scizor/Mega Scizor and Bisharp, which can clean the team otherwise. It has Stealth rocks and roar to phaze out enemies to weaken them with stealth rocks and prevent the set-up.

Tentacruel is mainly used as the hazard control of the team and set up toxic spikes to make bulkier teams easier to break. Acid spray lets it force out set up pokemon such as Suicune, Sableye, etc.

Dragalge does heavy damage with its STAB moves when it is using choice specs. Draco Meteor and Slude Wave are used as its STABs and hit everything very hard. Last moves are for coverage (Mainly for steel types).

Last edited:
Team (sorry still mastering BB codes)
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpA
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed / Sleep Powder

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Drill Run/ Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 232 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Confuse Ray
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Skuntank @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Defog

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Description
Venusaur-Mega: Yeah, hate on me for a double mega team lol. Aiding in matches that require a bulkier mega, Mega - Venu saves Poison from a Ground massacre, and can take on Fighting, Water, and Steel better than Mega Bee. Its speed tier gives it an advantage over Amoonguss, as it forces a non-invested Speed Mega Sciz to BP instead of Bug Bite in order to hit before HP Fire, which at +6 only has a chance to OHKO at full (though you'd have to whittle it down a bit). EVs give it a bit more power with a solid defense to tank Ground attacks, and moveset is standard, with Leech Seed to heal its teammates/itself and draining opponents faster. The Sleep Powder option is there to cripple something on a Fire matchup on a Chlorophyll boost, since it's likely Mega Bee will be used for that round.

Mega - Beedrill: The first part of the core, Mega Bee aids as a powerful attacker with a speed tier outspeeding scarf base 80's, killing or severely damaging most of your Psychic and Dark threats with its Adaptability boost. EVs give it maximum power, Protect gives way for the Mega and scouts, U-Turn allows it to hit and run, Poison Jab is a strong STAB, and Drill Run is a great coverage move for types that would otherwise resist the other moves. Knock Off is there to stay in while still hitting Psychic for something, and on an un-mega'd match can get rid of an item or two before dropping dead. Did I mention it's great death fodder too when not mega'd? :I

Dragalge: The other piece that the team centers around, this Dragalge will break even the bulkiest of walls for this team. Draco + Sludge decimate Pokemon that don't utterly resist it, and Focus Blast covers Steel and Normal to puncture them. HP Rock, while most prefer Fire, surprises people into giving me needed KOs in dangerous threats such as Volcarona. EVs and Specs give it the formidable power it needs to wreck havoc.

Tentacruel - With access to some of the most annoying moves possible, Tentacruel supports the team by whittling down teams to pick off later. T-Spikes wear bulkier teams and teams that don't have Steel or Poison to bypass it, Scald burns those that don't poison, Confuse Ray grants an extra status to deal with and some time to heal with Sludge, and Acid Spray breaks up some very SpDef oriented mons for either Tenta or its teammates to kill. The EVs make it a SpDef wall itself, and the extra bit of speed allows it to confuse or try to burn Adamant Bisharp, which when setup can 6-0.

Skunktank - The Psychic immunity, this skunk lends a hand to Bee in trapping and priority killing. The one - two combo of Pursuit and Sucker Punch tears Psy and Ghost a new one and takes out weakened but faster opponents, with Life Orb to further ensure the KO. To prevent a physical wall or Steel type to fully dominate, Fire Blast takes control to burn it to the ground. Defog gets rid of pesky weardowns that can otherwise let the opposition take charge and win the game. EVs let it take a bit more, while maximizing its strength.

Gengar - The final member, and a Poison staple, Gengar is the versatile, high-speed Special Attacker that spinblocks the T-Spikes and is immune to Ground. I chose to have another LO in order for more damage output, but it shortens its frail lifespan in the process. In exchange, it enhances HP Ice (covering Ground), Shadow Ball(STAB), and Focus Blast (good Steel/Normal coverage). Thunderbolt I tossed in to get a pseudo- BoltBeam going.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I made a new thread for this since I took over from lax. Everything here will be moved to there, and voting for this week will be moved there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)