(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

header said:
Things that annoy you in Gen 6 (Now contains ORAS)
That I still think Gen VI RNG abuse is around the corner leaving me paralyzed to claim any Wondercard or wild Legendary.
All you need is an emulator which will be coming out soon... right guys?

It's okay, Torkoal. I didn't forget you.
Sorry Torkoal, I forget you because I have some issues with you even in-game:
(1) The defensive concept is really good, but Fire is 2x weak to Water, which is the most common type in every region (I suppose). Not to mention the fact that there is a huge section of the game with battles on water. 2x weak to Water doesn't mean a lot if you are able to outspeed your opponent to burn him, but 20 base Spe says "you have to stomach an attack before doing anything".
(2) Huge competition coming from Numel (which can evolve, thus being more attractive for newer players because evolution is a part of the beauty of this game) and from Cameruptite, which enables the megaevolution.

Despite these things which holds it even in-game, Torkoal is adorable in the anime!

In Platinum, there is Chimchar as starter, Ponyta quite early in the game, Houndour + Magmar (later in the game) and -maybe- not else. 4 picks but all are quite usable/strong for in-game standards. I can accept a small selection of Fire pokemons but -please Game Freak- pick good choices.
I love the possibility to run monotype teams in-game.

Last edited:
(1) The defensive concept is really good, but Rock/Fire is 4x weak to Water, which is the most common type in every region (I suppose). Not to mention the fact that there is a huge section of the game with battles on water.
Torkoal is pure-Fire, not Fire/Rock. Understandable mistake though as Torkoal's design suggests it would be Fire/Rock and it's a mistake that a lot of people make because of that.

that said though, I agree that it's not by any means perfect; its typing still leaves it vulnerable to Water-type moves which are extremely common particularly in the Hoenn games, and it's also very slow even for in-game standards which sort of hinders its effectiveness a bit. still better than Magcargo though

Torkoal is pure-Fire, not Fire/Rock. Understandable mistake though as Torkoal's design suggests it would be Fire/Rock and it's a mistake that a lot of people make because of that.

that said though, I agree that it's not by any means perfect; its typing still leaves it vulnerable to Water-type moves which are extremely common particularly in the Hoenn games, and it's also very slow even for in-game standards which sort of hinders its effectiveness a bit. still better than Magcargo though
I find it funny too, because in the TCG, outside of the odd Delta Species stuff, only two Pokemon were given the wrong typing: Lugia (water type in the HGSS sets) and Torkoal (fighting type). Even TPCi sometimes forgets that Torkoal is pure fire type.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The reason why Ice Pokémon are found so late in the game is probably because of the "wilderness factor" of Ice. You only find them in the deepest caves, or on the highest, snowblown mountains. Very rugged, hard-to-reach terrain which wouldn't serve early-game, when you're walking through meadows, forests and even gardens. The games are meant to start in your back yard and take you through increasing levels of wilderness. Game Freak seems to think snow and ice only forms in the most extreme locations there is, hence why Ice Pokémon are usually relegated to late-game wilderness.

We talked about the lateness of the Ice type on IRC recently, and found out that Cold Storage with Vanilite is the earliest available Ice type in the games - just before the 5th gym. A possible contender is RBY Shellder, found in Vermilion Harbour (available via Good Rod, which may be acquired before beating Erika) which may then be evolved into Cloyster with a Water Stone from Celadon Dept. Store. GSC also lets you find a Lapras on Fridays, by backtracking to Union Cave after getting Surf. This means you can have an Ice Pokémon before you progress beyond the 4th Gym city, but it's not as readily available as Vanilite is.

Considering that XY even gives you Dragon types - traditionally the most overpowered type - before even the second gym, it just makes an example of how screwed over and poorly executed the Ice type is in the core series games.

EDIT: I realized after writing this that Amaura can be revived from the Sail Fossil even before the second gym in XY. Still, it's a very optional Pokémon, and you won't see it in wild encounters. I still hold onto Vanilite being the earliest, wild Ice Pokémon.

The reason why Ice Pokémon are found so late in the game is probably because of the "wilderness factor" of Ice. You only find them in the deepest caves, or on the highest, snowblown mountains. Very rugged, hard-to-reach terrain which wouldn't serve early-game, when you're walking through meadows, forests and even gardens. The games are meant to start in your back yard and take you through increasing levels of wilderness. Game Freak seems to think snow and ice only forms in the most extreme locations there is, hence why Ice Pokémon are usually relegated to late-game wilderness.

We talked about the lateness of the Ice type on IRC recently, and found out that Cold Storage with Vanilite is the earliest available Ice type in the games - just before the 5th gym. A possible contender is RBY Shellder, found in Vermilion Harbour (available via Good Rod, which may be acquired before beating Erika) which may then be evolved into Cloyster with a Water Stone from Celadon Dept. Store. GSC also lets you find a Lapras on Fridays, by backtracking to Union Cave after getting Surf. This means you can have an Ice Pokémon before you progress beyond the 4th Gym city, but it's not as readily available as Vanilite is.

Considering that XY even gives you Dragon types - traditionally the most overpowered type - before even the second gym, it just makes an example of how screwed over and poorly executed the Ice type is in the core series games.

EDIT: I realized after writing this that Amaura can be revived from the Sail Fossil even before the second gym in XY. Still, it's a very optional Pokémon, and you won't see it in wild encounters. I still hold onto Vanilite being the earliest, wild Ice Pokémon.
Lapras is also obtained relatively early though. (right after Morty in GSC, free Pokemon at Route 12).
Seel is also one you can obtain. Right after Koga.

Vanillite is indeed the earliest non conditional ice type in the game, and honestly a very good Pokémon for all its worth in ingame teams thanks to its good BST and decent move pool.

(1) The defensive concept is really good, but Rock/Fire is 4x weak to Water, which is the most common type in every region (I suppose). Not to mention the fact that there is a huge section of the game with battles on water.
(2) Huge competition coming from Numel (which can evolve, thus being more attractive for newer players because evolution is a part of the beauty of this game) and from Cameruptite, which enables the megaevolution.

Despite these things which holds it even in-game, Torkoal is adorable in the anime!

In Platinum, there is Chimchar as starter, Ponyta quite early in the game, Houndour + Magmar (later in the game) and -maybe- not else. 4 picks but all are quite usable/strong for in-game standards. I can accept a small selection of Fire pokemons but -please Game Freak- pick good choices.
I love the possibility to run monotype teams in-game.
There's also Flareon, which I still maintain is a decent in-game 'mon. I mean hell, it's better than half the other eeveelutions in Platinum.

Well Espeon does get to shine early, the other ones have a really though day.
Yeah, Espeon seems to be the only consistently good Eeveelution. Just used a Vaporeon in Platinum... it really struggles early due to not having a water move and having to rely on Bite. Jolteon isn't much better in that regard - meanwhile, Flareon doesn't care that it's only got bite because it's also got 130 attack.
And the other three are just shite.

I'm not gonna lie, umbreon was solid in platinum for me. It had a pretty good move pool and although it's offensive presence isn't ideal, it's defense more than makes up for that.

Umbreon was the only dark type in GS so yep, my bias is strong with him as he was the only dark type that we could use in ingame runs at the moment dark was introduced.

Seriously...talk about poorly thought.

Umbreon is OK in Platinum, only because it is brutally shielded by staraptor, there are many instances in wich umbreon stats became lackluster.

Great synchronizer though.

Umbreon is OK in Platinum, only because it is brutally shielded by staraptor, there are many instances in which umbreon stats became lackluster.
Close Combat may disagree with you, but I'm generally fine with Umbreon because i like tankish teams.

In DPP I'm annoyed by wild Abras. You have the Pokeballs and you want to catch this thing: good luck trying to catch a Pokemon with Teleport so early in the game.

Close Combat may disagree with you, but I'm generally fine with Umbreon because i like tankish teams.

In DPP I'm annoyed by wild Abras. You have the Pokeballs and you want to catch this thing: good luck trying to catch a Pokemon with Teleport so early in the game.
Chimchar gets Taunt at level 9. There you go. Hell, Sinnoh makes it easy for you in that regard.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Honestly they could place Icet-types in caves and I don't think anyone would raise an eye. I can easily see Snorunt (who are said to head into caves when its warm outside), Cubchoo, Jynx, Swinub, Delibird, & Sneasel. Also if they bring back seasons than during Winter & Autumn they could have Ice-types appear on all affected routes.

That's what I was saying, umbreon is really good as long as you have staravia-raptor not that umbreon was great vs raptor.

Umbreon has a really hard time on the road from 3rd to 5th gym excluding Fantina and staraptor just boosts umbreon utility to the sky until it reaches the safe threshold of lv 36 then he keeps being a really valuable Pokémon for the rest of the game except vs Cyrus.

Honestly the money better synchronizer there are in the 4th gen are psychic and umbreon really breaks that mold with access to mean look.

While doing an ORAS Nuzlocke I noticed something little that annoyed me. Kyogre's Dive Hitbox is far to big. It's a pain to navigate through enclosed areas underwater when Kyogre gets stuck on absolutely nothing

(1) The defensive concept is really good, but Fire is 2x weak to Water, which is the most common type in every region (I suppose). Not to mention the fact that there is a huge section of the game with battles on water. 2x weak to Water doesn't mean a lot if you are able to outspeed your opponent to burn him, but 20 base Spe says "you have to stomach an attack before doing anything".
1) Why on Earth would you leave in a Fire-type against a Water-type 99% of the time (exceptions being things like Thunder Punch/Grass Knot Infernape, etc.)? Hell, this is why I always have a Grass-type on my team when I'm playing through the game.
2) Cameruptite is only available during the story of Omega Ruby. Alpha Sapphire players have to wait until the Battle Resort, which is AFTER the Delta Episode (the reverse it true for Sharpedoite).
3) I'm currently using Torkoal right now and she's not as bad as you would think. Honestly.

Chimchar gets Taunt at level 9. There you go. Hell, Sinnoh makes it easy for you in that regard.
Yes, but Chimchar is not mandatory for everyone and/or for every playthrough.

1) Why on Earth would you leave in a Fire-type against a Water-type 99% of the time (exceptions being things like Thunder Punch/Grass Knot Infernape, etc.)? Hell, this is why I always have a Grass-type on my team when I'm playing through the game.
2) Cameruptite is only available during the story of Omega Ruby. Alpha Sapphire players have to wait until the Battle Resort, which is AFTER the Delta Episode (the reverse it true for Sharpedoite).
3) I'm currently using Torkoal right now and she's not as bad as you would think. Honestly.
(1) Yes, but a big part of the plot in-game takes place in the sea, so you are playing with one less pokemon most of the time unless you are filled with Potions and Revives. Base 20 Spe is not kind to it because it has to stomach an attack before doing something.
(2) This doesn't mean anything. Can't you trade it from another OR/AS playthrough, can you?
(3) It is not bad (at least, Torkoal has the stats focused mainly on Def), but it is not great, either. The lack of an evolution (or of a pre-evo) makes this thing less attractive to newer players: the beauty of the game is the possibility to evolve (sometimes megaevolve) monsters. Being a defensive pokemon is nice even for me because i like tankish teams, but a fast Fire type with Will o' Wisp can tank hits well without being so slow and with better offenses.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)