Project OU Theorymon

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Super great defensive slate, bringing stall to the equation.

Cressilia + Fairy/Ghost typing

And we're back! Cresselia just managed to squeeze past Shaymin, making it this week's winner! Don't worry Shaymin fans, I'm sure it'll be back for another slate.

Cresselia + Ghost / Fairy-typing - 17
Shaymin + Grass / Fairy-typing and Flower Veil - 14
Doublade + Bulletproof - 4
Mandibuzz + Unaware - 1

Next, a quick PSA. Nature Power is being removed on Meloetta. As it turns out, adding a strong STAB priority move to a wallbreaker with a priority set up move is problematic in practice, and the number of reliable answers to it is pretty small once you consider its decent movepool that allows it to cripple or kill most of its checks as they come in. It will retain Prankster, which will still allow it to retain access to some neat options like Heal Bell, Perish Song, and Substitute.

Onto the next slate!

+ Flame Charge
+ Normal / Fairy and Play Rough
+ Recover
+ Bug / Ground and Earth Power

Have fun! :)

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
imagining tauros' design as a fairy type......(puke)

tauros and cofag are pretty straightforward

flame charge honchkrow: k so flame charge just can't be for the fire coverage right??!!! brings us to the speed aspect, and idk if speed is mandi's problem.
it's outclassed as a burd by talon obviously, and sometimes staraptor on bird spam cos of the immediate stronger damage output, and imo that's all that makes it "bad". flame charge doesn't let it get past lando, chomp, hippo etc. which are it's checks

bug ground epower yanmega: the new stab coverage is obvisouly for tran and klefki, so the main draw is in its typing. not getting down to half life every time coming in on rocks is cool, but idk what else there is to it besides that(beating tran+not dying to rocks)

cool slate imo, hurts my tired brain forcing me to think

btw credits for the slate? or is it whole from the council(which would be kinda sad for a project that's so much community based ._.)

Recreant edit: We don't put credit in the slates anymore. A lot of the time submissions get really backlogged and it takes days to find who submitted them cause some people only send it to one council member

to those who don't skip past this part: come to the ps tmon room, cool to discuss shit, i'd hope it to explode every new slate but it dead :[

Last edited by a moderator:
Cofagrigus + Recover: nice. Boring, but effective, this move is exactly what the mummy wants to have. Ghost types needs more love despite Knock Off being so useful and used. In my opinion Cofagrigus needs another buf to be effective. Near to be playable, but -still- it isn't enough.

Yanmega as Bug/Ground + Earth Power: really good. The worst thing concerning Yanmega's viability was its horrid typing weak 4x to SR and a LO attacker which comes into play at 50% HP is a problem. Ground typing brings an immunity to the table + 3 resists and 4 2x weaknesses but a Ground STAB is really valuable to get past many threats in OU. This is easily my favourite pic.

Tauros as Normal / Fairy + Play Rough: Fairy typing is really always solid, both offensively and defensively. Great submission, but I don't see the flavour behind this choice, so I say "next!".

Honchcrow + Flame Charge: strange addition. Flame Charge alongside Sucker Punch seems interesting to create convincing 50-50 situations in particular at +1 Atk. If the opponent lets this monster get +1 Spe...things turns nasty for him unless priority. Simple addition, but effective; maybe another buff would have made it more convincing to my eyes.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Honchkrow
Isn't the point of running a fire move on honchkrow that you can hit ferro without taking iron barbs damage? Flame charge patches up krows mediocre speed but it almost never gets the free turns to set up considering how fragile it is and how quickly it gets worn down due to LO recoil. Its also still very easy to revenge kill with priority, which is quite unfortunate.

Tauros
Okay im really not understanding what fairy typing does for tauros like at all. If anyone can explain i'd appreciate it.

Yanmega
No longer sr weak which is good. It has some utility as a late game cleaner running something like bug buzz+earth power+hp ice or ancient power+protect. Ground typing also makes it immune to twave so its sweeps cant be halted by stuff like keys or thundy as easily. Pretty cool overall.

Cofagrigus
I probably like this one best. Its main problem as a wall before was reliance on pain split, but now its a solid physical wall with wisp, a solid ability, toxic spikes, and good bulk. I'm really a fan of this one and it seems like a great mon for more defensive teams. Could run something like rocky helm or lefties with wisp+shadow ball or hex+recover+filler where filler is a shitton of amazing moves like haze, knock off, disable, destiny bond, toxic spikes, calm mind, or nasty plot. You could also run a more dedicated calm mind set with something like cm+shadow ball+hp fighting+recover, but thats up to you.

Last edited:
Tauros
Okay im really not understanding what fairy typing does for tauros like at all. If anyone can explain i'd appreciate it.
STAB on Play Rough which is the other theorymon buff.
Normal/Fairy is the typing which makes Wigglytuff so good: good defensively and offensively. Wigglytuff has other problems preventing it to be effective in higher tiers, but Tauros has a nice stat distribution (including a base Spe of 110).

Tauros is now weak to Poison and Steel, so Earthquake is perfect for coverage and there is always Zen Headbutt.

Last edited:

HailFall

STAB on Play Rough which is the other theorymon buff.
Normal/Fairy is the typing which makes Clefairy so good: good defensively and offensively.
clefairy isnt part normal. im saying what specifically does tauros actually get out of this that would make it ou viable. Its stats are still only meh and fairy typing doesnt do much for it besides add dragon immunity. im asking because im not sure if theres something specific fairy typing offers it that helps tauros out significantly. it seems like a very weird buff to me and im trying not to pass judgment because i suspect theres something clever about it im not thinking of

+ Flame Charge

Interesting boost. When you get kill using this move, you get Dragon Dance effect. Also - Nice coverage against Steel types.
But... I'm not sure this move is enouth good boost for this pokemon. I think he need one more buff, but I'm not sure what a buff he could take for gaining value in OU...

+ Normal / Fairy
+ Play Rough

This is actually my submition, so I could write reason why this typing and this pokemon.
First thing what is worth to note is he know Earthquacke and Zen Headbutt. Two usefull moves what can hit Poison type and Steel type super effective.
Also - He have that Sheer Force, what boost Play Rought by that x1.3 times.
He have movepool what is boosted by this abillity, what makes him really viable pokemon. Stats also are really good. Expect useless sp. atack, what he doesn't need anyway.
Also - no damage from Life Orb is also nice bonus.
New typic clearly for offesnive preference - what Fairy type can't hit super effective, STAB Normal or coverage will hit harder.

I feel this pokemon could be interesting pokemon in this metagame.

+ Recover

Cofagrigus have really nice bulk. 58/145/105 stats are really desant. Mummy is fantastic counter against all Scrappy users and physical sweapers in general, what gain value from abillity what they have.
Sheer Force, Touth Claws, -ate abilities... they all means nothing after first landed hit, because after that they MUST switch for recover their abillity, when they don't carry any coverage.
With Will-o-Wisp he can even more boost his defensive stats, making him one of those Ghost, what CAN take not STAB Knock Off really easy.
With this buff, he gain last element what could make him fantastic tank.

I love this proposition

+ Bug / Ground
+ Earth Power

Hmm... Speed Boost with immunity to Electric type and with one of the best offensive type...
This + Flying moves what becomes just good coverage moves make him much better sweaper, who also lose his weaknes to Stealth Rocks.
He could also go instead for Psychic. With STAB Ground and Bug types, Psychic fill nearly perfectly his coverage against all pokemons (only Skarmory resist STAB + Psychic).
We also could go for Ancient Power, what is actually good against all pokemon weak to Rock x4, but propably not enouth against just x2, where STAB, when not resisted, could propably hit harder.

I could propably vote for My Tauros, or Cofagrigus... But Yanmega also is interesting pokemon... Hmm...

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honchkrow + Flame Charge: I really don't see this so good, Fire type weakness are a lot common, Flame Charge is really interessting, but I'm not sure if it is the best option to Honchkrow.
Tauros + Fairy Type and Play Rough: Fairy Tauros? Wut? Ok, it's a interessting option, but it's a little hard to see why it could get Fairy-type
Cofagrigus + Recover: Recover is the reliable recovery, a good option to this bulky mon to turn it into a more useful defensive thing
Yanmega Bug / Ground type + Earth Power: That is my favourite one in this slate, Bug + Ground coverage is really awesome, with HP Ice / Ancient Power a not bad coverage, no longer is weak to Stealth Rock, immune to Thunder Wave and any Electric-type move, Ground type coverage (just like HailFall and SpiderKoloPL said) seems awesome, and probably I'll vote on this.

Honchkrow + Flame Charge: This is my slate submission, so I'm gonna post the original explanation I gave for it, verbatim.

Solid mixed attacking power, a powerhouse of an ability, and enough coverage to keep itself afloat in the meta (only on paper), but its piss-poor defenses, bad speed and lack of useful boosting moves outside of Nasty Plot (which it can't even use well, due to no synergy with Moxie and lack of Hurricane/Air Slash) let it down immensely. Flame Charge seeks to remedy that by giving it a helping hand against faster threats, thus ensuring that it doesn't need to rely on Sucker Punch all the time (which is one of its biggest issues in OU, after everything I just mentioned).

It's not overly powerful without a Moxie boost, but the speed boost ensures that you can't just whip out an offensively-oriented Dark resist and force it out, since Brave Bird still hurts at +0. What really sells this is its utility as a powerful Pursuit user that doesn't need to rely on a Choice Scarf to answer things like Latios effectively. Furthermore, unlike Bisharp, it offers role compression as a sweeper and Pursuit trapper, since Scarf or BandTar obviously can't boost up, and SD is far more used on Bisharp than Pursuit, and are rarely combined (and even then, they don't offer the speed that Honchkrow can with Flame Charge). Flame Charge, in terms of the coverage it provides, is also largely the same as Heat Wave, but the only thing it sacrifices is the OHKO from Heat Wave after SR on 200 SpD Mega Scizor, and that requires a Naughty nature and not Adamant.

Obvious downsides are that it can't get past Lando-T/Chomp/Hippo, but it has Icy Wind for the previous two on the switch (which is a guaranteed 2HKO even with an Adamant nature), and it has absolutely no business staying in on Hippo anyways. Its weakness to priority is rough, but there's not much that's able to be done about that with moves/abilities alone, considering Gale Wings is a stupid mindless buff, and priority users are often gunning for the revenge kill rather than risking a switch-in into a successful prediction (read: Weavile, Azu, Scizor).

Cofagrigus + Recover: Ah, now this is the slate change I was looking for. Mono-Ghost is a surprisingly effective typing, and Recover only seals the deal by making it a full stop to ability-dependent physical attackers. Nice and meaty counter to a huge number of Fighting-types and Band users (ex. Azu) in the tier, but definitely still balanced due to its low base HP and somewhat lacking SpD. Personally, I wish it got some coverage as well, to make up for its piss-poor offensive presence (something like Focus Blast or Flash Cannon), but that's kinda just hopeful thinking. Hyped for this one.

Tauros -> Normal/Fairy + Play Rough: I like the addition of a move that benefits from Sheer Force, and Normal/Fairy sounds nice, but I don't think it fundamentally solves what's wrong with Tauros in the first place, that being the fact that it has solid coverage, but it's forced to use its absolutely horrendous SpA stat to make use of it. It has chronic trouble with bulky Rock and Steel-types, which Play Rough does nothing to solve (hell, it even makes it weaker to Steel-types, given things like Bullet Punch), and is just too weak against physically defensive things like Lando-T and Slowbro because of its poor type coverage on the physical side. Its stats actually aren't that big of an issue considering that it has 100 base attack to Feraligatr's base 105, and they're both Sheer Force users. Tauros also has the honour of being the fastest Sheer Force user in the entire game. I can see Fairy coverage helping against things like Keldeo, Terrakion, and a good number of Fighting-types aside from that, since Zen Headbutt does not OHKO either of them and STAB Play Rough does. Personally, I would have given it a more convincing move choice for OU, like Flare Blitz / Icicle Crash or something. Fairy's nice, and actually gives Tauros a niche, but I don't think it's a big enough niche to matter due to how hard it is to pull off and how reliant it is on revenge killing.

Yanmega -> Bug/Ground + Earth Power: I think I remember this from a slate long past, and I don't have too much of an opinion on it. I like the TWave immunity, rocks mitigation and Heatran-killing power, so I genuinely think that this can take off. Ancient Power, while it helps against Flying-types, doesn't seem like the most reliable of moves to run due to low power and PP, and it also suffers from being weak to Aqua Jet and still taking a lot from resisted Ground moves due to its poor defenses. Overall, I'm on the fence with this one. I love its coverage and typing boons, but the limitations in those same things hold it back for me.

With the Fairy Type on Tauros, he loses the fighting weakness ... But I don't think it will help him ...

Honchkrow : What does Flame Charge bring vs Heat Wave ?

Cofag with Recover is too classic

Yanmega is probaby the better solution

Honchkrow + Flame Charge: This is my slate submission, so I'm gonna post the original explanation I gave for it, verbatim.

Solid mixed attacking power, a powerhouse of an ability, and enough coverage to keep itself afloat in the meta (only on paper), but its piss-poor defenses, bad speed and lack of useful boosting moves outside of Nasty Plot (which it can't even use well, due to no synergy with Moxie and lack of Hurricane/Air Slash) let it down immensely. Flame Charge seeks to remedy that by giving it a helping hand against faster threats, thus ensuring that it doesn't need to rely on Sucker Punch all the time (which is one of its biggest issues in OU, after everything I just mentioned).

It's not overly powerful without a Moxie boost, but the speed boost ensures that you can't just whip out an offensively-oriented Dark resist and force it out, since Brave Bird still hurts at +0. What really sells this is its utility as a powerful Pursuit user that doesn't need to rely on a Choice Scarf to answer things like Latios effectively. Furthermore, unlike Bisharp, it offers role compression as a sweeper and Pursuit trapper, since Scarf or BandTar obviously can't boost up, and SD is far more used on Bisharp than Pursuit, and are rarely combined (and even then, they don't offer the speed that Honchkrow can with Flame Charge). Flame Charge, in terms of the coverage it provides, is also largely the same as Heat Wave, but the only thing it sacrifices is the OHKO from Heat Wave after SR on 200 SpD Mega Scizor, and that requires a Naughty nature and not Adamant.

Obvious downsides are that it can't get past Lando-T/Chomp/Hippo, but it has Icy Wind for the previous two on the switch (which is a guaranteed 2HKO even with an Adamant nature), and it has absolutely no business staying in on Hippo anyways. Its weakness to priority is rough, but there's not much that's able to be done about that with moves/abilities alone, considering Gale Wings is a stupid mindless buff, and priority users are often gunning for the revenge kill rather than risking a switch-in into a successful prediction (read: Weavile, Azu, Scizor).

Cofagrigus + Recover: Ah, now this is the slate change I was looking for. Mono-Ghost is a surprisingly effective typing, and Recover only seals the deal by making it a full stop to ability-dependent physical attackers. Nice and meaty counter to a huge number of Fighting-types and Band users (ex. Azu) in the tier, but definitely still balanced due to its low base HP and somewhat lacking SpD. Personally, I wish it got some coverage as well, to make up for its piss-poor offensive presence (something like Focus Blast or Flash Cannon), but that's kinda just hopeful thinking. Hyped for this one.

Tauros -> Normal/Fairy + Play Rough: I like the addition of a move that benefits from Sheer Force, and Normal/Fairy sounds nice, but I don't think it fundamentally solves what's wrong with Tauros in the first place, that being the fact that it has solid coverage, but it's forced to use its absolutely horrendous SpA stat to make use of it. It has chronic trouble with bulky Rock and Steel-types, which Play Rough does nothing to solve (hell, it even makes it weaker to Steel-types, given things like Bullet Punch), and is just too weak against physically defensive things like Lando-T and Slowbro because of its poor type coverage on the physical side. Its stats actually aren't that big of an issue considering that it has 100 base attack to Feraligatr's base 105, and they're both Sheer Force users. Tauros also has the honour of being the fastest Sheer Force user in the entire game. I can see Fairy coverage helping against things like Keldeo, Terrakion, and a good number of Fighting-types aside from that, since Zen Headbutt does not OHKO either of them and STAB Play Rough does. Personally, I would have given it a more convincing move choice for OU, like Flare Blitz / Icicle Crash or something. Fairy's nice, and actually gives Tauros a niche, but I don't think it's a big enough niche to matter due to how hard it is to pull off and how reliant it is on revenge killing.

Yanmega -> Bug/Ground + Earth Power: I think I remember this from a slate long past, and I don't have too much of an opinion on it. I like the TWave immunity, rocks mitigation and Heatran-killing power, so I genuinely think that this can take off. Ancient Power, while it helps against Flying-types, doesn't seem like the most reliable of moves to run due to low power and PP, and it also suffers from being weak to Aqua Jet and still taking a lot from resisted Ground moves due to its poor defenses. Overall, I'm on the fence with this one. I love its coverage and typing boons, but the limitations in those same things hold it back for me.
I'm really not sure about Honchkrow, you list of a couple of awesome features but none of this is really new. Honchkrow has already icy wind, it provides role compression already (Not sure how 4-attacks Bisharp can't sweep since it has defiant) and Flame charge doesn't help with its counters.

I'm never going to run flame charge on Honchkrow, it's already got 4mms between; Sucker punch, roost, dark pulse, brave bird, pursuit, superpower, heat wave and icy wind. And to emphasis on Flame charge versus Heat wave.

Skarmory

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 88-104 (26.3 - 31.1%) -- 9.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Life Orb Honchkrow Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 250-294 (74.8 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Scizor

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Flame Charge vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Mega Scizor: 203-244 (59.1 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Life Orb Honchkrow Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor: 307-364 (89.5 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Ferrothorn

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 203-244 (57.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Life Orb Honchkrow Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 286-338 (81.2 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

TL;DR Adamant 252EVs Life orb Flame Charge does 7,6% less than 4 EVs Life orb Heat wave

But this isn't your point. Your point is that it can use Flame charge, then it would outspeed faster threats, but honestly, this isn't enough and it's not the way we should boost Honchkrow.

Here's boost that you could give Honchkrow, and this is just me listing stuff of the top of my head:

Gale wings + Hurricane
Oblivion wing
Prankster + Parting shot
Magic guard
Guts
Illusion
[/hide]

Tauros is pretty amazing. A Play Rough boosted by Sheer Force and Life Orb is incredibly hard to switch-into and when you examine it's coverage options (mainly Fire Blast) solid switch-in's a pretty limited to the most sturdiest of tanks. Between Rock Climb and Play Rough it's going to be a great wall breaker and offensive check to quite a few threats.

I like Yanmega. It solves quite a few issues it has as a cleaner or special wallbreaker with Tinted Lens. Earth Power is bomb coverage in tandem with Bug STAB. It'll be a pretty potent cleaner, which is much better imo to define a niche for it.

Cofragrigus is pretty straightforward, give a wall without reliable recovery what it wants.

Flame Charge Honchrow is pretty confusing flavor wise and imo not much of a buff. I see it helps out with its speed, but it doesn't really give it an outstanding niche to set it apart from other Flying-types. I see the idea was Moxie + Flame Charge = deadly but it just seems too subpar imo. Another boosting option would have been much better.

All in all, Tauros will probably be the Dark Horse of this slate going off the above posts, but it's getting my vote since its a really solid buff for it since its practically borderline viable and needed this extra push.

Tauros -> Normal/Fairy + Play Rough: I like the addition of a move that benefits from Sheer Force, and Normal/Fairy sounds nice, but I don't think it fundamentally solves what's wrong with Tauros in the first place, that being the fact that it has solid coverage, but it's forced to use its absolutely horrendous SpA stat to make use of it. It has chronic trouble with bulky Rock and Steel-types, which Play Rough does nothing to solve (hell, it even makes it weaker to Steel-types, given things like Bullet Punch), and is just too weak against physically defensive things like Lando-T and Slowbro because of its poor type coverage on the physical side.
I'm actually gonna take exception to that -- with a pretty standard set of LO with Rock Climb, Play Rough, and Earthquake, Tauros can actually 2HKO most of OU's Rock- and Steel-types. From there it can pack an uninvested (Naive) Fire Blast to 2HKO Skarmory, Mega/Scizor and Ferrothorn (though tbh it should just switch out of Mega/Scizor afterwards), Ice Beam to take 69.3-81.6% off of defensive Lando-T (and 2HKO Garchomp without contact damage), or Zen Headbutt for Mega Venusaur and getting some extra damage in on Gengar and Amoonguss (notably nabbing the OHKO on the former).

You're right in that it does lose to Slowbro and Hippowdon (esp. Megabro), but Tauros can do enough in that last moveslot so that its weaknesses can be covered up pretty well by the rest of your team. If it runs Ice Beam, for example, it pairs nicely with Magnezone by luring in Ground-types while Magnezone steps on the necks of Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, as well as Slowbro, and generally they just do a good job of wearing down or trapping each other's checks. Except for Hippowdon but whatever.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
i did ctrl+f "sab" but apparently none of you have figured it out yet.......fairy play rough tauros can ohko msab after rocks

HailFall

i did ctrl+f "sab" but apparently none of you have figured it out yet.......fairy play rough tauros can ohko msab after rocks
>getting rocks up on msab
That aside it still doesn't exactly make it a good stallbreaker when they can just send out spd skarm (the most common set) and wall you. I don't rlly see the value in it and I'm also very confused if people are saying these things ironically or not because they make no sense to me?

The flavor of the buff doesn't really fit and play rough doesn't let tauros do a whole lot it didn't before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)