Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot be the only one sold on the Moon version due to the cover legendary. The design I find to be much more interesting than Sun's legendary which just looks...meh.

Whatever it's called, it looks like a vampire. So fitting. And I love it.

I cannot be the only one sold on the Moon version due to the cover legendary. The design I find to be much more interesting than Sun's legendary which just looks...meh.

I am personally a fan of regal things so the lion is appealing to me. Of course, the over doneness of fire lions is a point against it. That being said, I am going to hate the bat if it is a dark type/remotely evil. The whole dark-night-evil thing is over done to hell in back.

So with today's reveals, we now have three avian starters, one per type.

Torchic was first, in Gen 3.
Piplup was second, in Gen 4.

Now we have Rowlet in Gen 7.

And 3 + 4 = 7...

Definitely doing a play through utilizing these three together. Their types are pretty complimentary, and Torchic + Piplup are my favorite starters of their respective gens. I'm hoping Rowlet becomes a speedy physical attacker as a counterpart of sorts to Sceptile.

Considering their main concern is always viability/playability within the game, there may be a lot of water routes, but Rowlet's Grass/Flying typing probably indicates much, much more Grass and Bug types to fight against. It's hell trying to get through forests/jungles with pure Grass so the secondary STAB was probably just deemed necessary (Game Freak could have easily designed/left Rowlet as a pure Grass type without any explanation other than "it stays on the ground").
I was just thinking this as well, what with Charmander's metal claw in Fire Red and Chespin's Rollout. I'm guessing the early forest will be chock full of bugs while the mid game features grass types galore. And with it being another island region ala Hoenn, we can probably expect a lot of water types too. Rowlet is shaping up to be quite promising.

Finally got a chance to see all of this on my lunch break. While all three starters look pretty cool, I'm definitely on team Rowlet. Best burd, bravest burd.

The legendaries looked alright. I don't know why but the sun-lion is just underwhelming me, I don't hate it but it just seems a tad generic to me. Well, anime generic to me. I'll give it some time, see if I change my mind. Luna-bat in concept sounds even less creative, but despite myself I love the design of it. And that small clip of it's orbital laser attack looked really cool and well animated, so I find it creative in function even if boring in concept.

And Hawaii won the region-guessing, sorry Barcelona/Mediterranean. Still, I do really love the tropical theme. Getting a little annoyed by some of the speculation going on (Hawaii doesn't have snakes so we won't get any snake pokemon, Rowlet will get Gale Wings because it flies silently, and many many more examples. I know it's new info but let's be chill about this) but that's nothing new. Just remember that Hawaii is definitely the inspiration, it doesn't have to be a direct representation. They could pull from any part of Oceania or the Caribbean too, and add stuff for gameplay purposes (like an Ice Cave just so you can catch ice-type pokemon, like the Seveii Islands or Hoenn).

Just like how Unova took aspects from the American Southwest, New Jersey, and other locales despite being based on New York.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fire Jiji Litten is like the best Fire-type starter ever

Also if we're really gonna start legendary type speculation, I think at the very least the Moon legendary is going to have Fairy as one of its types, seeing as Moon-related moves like Moonlight and Moonblast have a tendency to be Fairy-type. I personally hope for Dark/Fairy (I just want a Lati-busting typing) but I think we're at the very least safe from having a repeat of Yveltal and safe from another case of Fire/Fighting rehash.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Leafage turned out to be one of those moves that counts as both Grass and Flying, given that it's a exclusive starting move for a Grass/Flying-starter.

Or maybe that's just me having more faith in Game Freak than it just turning out to be a special-move Vine Whip variation.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Why is Lunaala the best thing revealed today?

Seriously this thing had possibilities out the ass and they outdid themselves lol. I am in love with this legend. Just need an official name.

Am I the only one that didn't find the starters all that? Wasn't rly impressed at all at first glance compared to this gen (Fennekin), Gen 5 (Snivy), and Gen 4 (Piplup), but Rowlet has to have the biggest fanbase I've seen lol. Maybe they'll grow on me / final formes will change that.

YES! REAL INFO! I'm so psyched now, the region looks beautiful so far and while the starters initially were like "whut" for me, I've warmed up to all of them pretty quickly, even everyone's black sheep Popplio. The legendaries are both super cool too, I love the sort of celestial theme going on with the night sky head things. Makes me think that the story is going to center around the evil team trying to mess with heavenly bodies (the sun and moon specifically) for some reason.

I'm calling a couple things now. First off, like other people have said, the island shown in the trailer won't be the entire region. It's just not big enough and has like, literally one major town in it. We need at least 8 towns for gyms, and even being generous with other things on the map there just isn't enough there. We'll almost certainly be traveling to other islands. The question is just what kind of travel it'll be. I'm hoping that they either keep the surfing to a minimum by using ferries or something in order to prevent another "too much water" Hoenn scenario or that they at least find a way to spice up the water routes so they don't all feel exactly the same like they always have before.

Other thing I'm calling: BOTH Hala and Kukui are going to be the regions' Pokemon profs. We'll be getting two instead of one this time around. They are both named after trees, one's got a lab coat and the other gives you your Pokemon. They both fit and I see no reason why we can't have two regional profs. They can be a part of a research team or something perhaps. Other possibility is that Hala is the champion and is filling and Alder-like role. I mean, Alder is named after a tree too so that could work. I'm still betting on dual Pokemon Profs though.

I'm really looking forward to more in the coming weeks and months! There's nothing quite like the build up for a new game. I can only hope they throw us another crazy ass mystery to debate about like they did last gen with Sylveon's typing.

Wait, so guys. I might be completely off on this, but in the trailer, does the moon legend change forms? Check this out.

There are definitely distinct physical differences between the legendary in these two images. For instance, the pickaxe-shaped bone thing at the bottom gets horizontally lengthened, considerably so, to make the outline of a circle. Same with the four star-shaped dangly bone bits in the first image. The "horns" in the head area are filled in. Are these changes all attributable to the pokemon just moving around? (edit: or "flexing" or something like that? They look very much like bone to me so I don't see that as being likely.) I don't think so. I think, maybe, the second form here is a mega, or some new forme change à la primal reversion.

Am I just going crazy?

I'm actually considering getting Moon now. When I saw Solgaleo and then Lunaala I immediately thought "Well, I don't like Moon now." but as I look more at Lunaala the design is really elegant and pretty, and the fan art! I might even get Popplio just to warm up to the little guy, who I'm also starting to appreciate.

Wait, so guys. I might be completely off on this, but in the trailer, does the moon legend change forms? Check this out.

There are definitely distinct physical differences between the legendary in these two images. For instance, the pickaxe-shaped bone thing at the bottom gets horizontally lengthened, considerably so, to make the outline of a circle. Same with the four star-shaped dangly bone bits in the first image. The "horns" in the head area are filled in. Are these changes all attributable to the pokemon just moving around? I don't think so. I think, maybe, the second form here is a mega, or some new forme change à la primal reversion.

Am I just going crazy?
Excuse my double post, but I kind of have an explanation.

I think what is happening is that Lunaala's yellow parts are actually contracting/extending for battle. For example, Litten has these red bits come off the back during an attack. I think what happens is these parts extend to form an awesome circle of death for the attack.

I am
I don't like Solgaleo cause its a pyroar clone
Go Rowlet

Excuse my double post, but I kind of have an explanation.

I think what is happening is that Lunaala's yellow parts are actually contracting/extending for battle. For example, Litten has these red bits come off the back during an attack. I think what happens is these parts extend to form an awesome circle of death for the attack.
That's possible, but don't they look exactly like bone? Bone would fit well with the moonbat aesthetic and bone's not supposed to be flexible.

I saw these right before I fell asleep. My reactions:
1) I'm not the biggest fan of Popplio (though I do like it better than Oshawott), Litten is rather cute, but Rowlet...that is so cute and lovable! I love birds, with owls being my favorite and it makes me happy to see a new Owl 'mon after what, 16 years? And it has a good chance to be a decent 'mon. I think I'm going with Rowlet this time. Plus, starting with a Ground immunity sounds awesome.
Also, look at this:

Hoothoot, you have been replaced. Also, I might have a new avatar after I figure out which of these three to pick.
I also hope that I get a female one so I can name her Minerva.
2) Moon's legend looks AWESOME. Sun's looks like a Zoid.
Good lord now that I have coffee in me, the only thing I see when I look at the Sun legend (Solgaleo, anyone??) is freaking Liger Zero from Zoids...

I'm not the only one!
Luckily, my preference for the Moon legend corresponds with my desire for Moon anyway (I love night).
3) Poké-Hawaii CONFIRMED! And IGN thought that ORAS had too much water.
4) Character customization returns!!!!!
5) So I get to start with an Owl starter the same day that Fantastic Beasts is released in theaters. That sounds like a fun day.

Didn't see any proof of Mega Evolutions in the two videos.

Really hope GF didn't ditch them.
We saw only five Pokémon, three of which are the first stage of three, so they can't Mega. Don't make assumptions.

Couple things:
2) I think Heatran being post-game is extremely likely, given Hawaii and Kilauea and all that lava jazz. However, we have seen Heatran in Gen 6 through ORAS post-game captures.
Heatran was also in Black 2 and White 2, what's your point?

Evil Team ideas: Well, in Moon, they could always try crushing the Alola region with the Moon.

There are definitely distinct physical differences between the legendary in these two images. For instance, the pickaxe-shaped bone thing at the bottom gets horizontally lengthened, considerably so, to make the outline of a circle. Same with the four star-shaped dangly bone bits in the first image. The "horns" in the head area are filled in. Are these changes all attributable to the pokemon just moving around? (edit: or "flexing" or something like that? They look very much like bone to me so I don't see that as being likely.) I don't think so. I think, maybe, the second form here is a mega, or some new forme change à la primal reversion.

Am I just going crazy?
I'm 99% sure it's Luna's signature move.

Lunaala (Solgaleo too) has to be the best legendaries I have ever seen. GameFreak really outdid themselves this time and made real quality Pokemon.

I wonder if they're even going to have bad guys in this generation. There's a huge possibility that they've shifted from that possibility and instead the Box legends are the bad guys (in a sense) themselves. For example, what if Lunaala was trying to make night permanent in Moon and Solgaleo trying to make day permanent in Sun? Then the hero(ine) buts in and saves the day by confronting the legend and capturing / beating it into submission. Or maybe they've decided to make the evil villains actually evil? In the last few generations I've found the villains to be very underwhelming, as they just didn't seem to be that scary / evil / lethal. If Gamefreak could possibly make an awesome plot this generation my hope for them will be reignited.

I've also been wondering if they're a trio this go around too. Like Yveltal / Xerneas / Zygarde and Kyurem / Zekrom / Reshiram. I'd find it very weird and suspicious that the two boxart legends are based off the sun & moon, so where is the Star legendary / mythical <- (i'm betting it's a mythical)? Maybe that's something they'll reveal later.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
-Magic- : As per the trademark leaks that were right on the money for the Pokemon in the trailer, the only unaccounted for Pokemon is something named Marshadow. Could very well be our third legendary! Maybe its based off the eclipse.

Rowlet seems like a pokemon with promise. Its final evolved form going to be placed in pu for sure though. 4x weakness to ice and stealth rock is not good

Maybe Marshadow will be based on Mars? It would fit the heavenly body in the night sky theme, I guess. Probably wishful thinking, you'd think they'd go with Venus if they were going to do a third heavenly body since it's the third brightest object in the sky. It does fit the name though.

I'm 99% sure it's Luna's signature move.

Lunaala (Solgaleo too) has to be the best legendaries I have ever seen. GameFreak really outdid themselves this time and made real quality Pokemon.

I wonder if they're even going to have bad guys in this generation. There's a huge possibility that they've shifted from that possibility and instead the Box legends are the bad guys (in a sense) themselves. For example, what if Lunaala was trying to make night permanent in Moon and Solgaleo trying to make day permanent in Sun? Then the hero(ine) buts in and saves the day by confronting the legend and capturing / beating it into submission. Or maybe they've decided to make the evil villains actually evil? In the last few generations I've found the villains to be very underwhelming, as they just didn't seem to be that scary / evil / lethal. If Gamefreak could possibly make an awesome plot this generation my hope for them will be reignited.

I've also been wondering if they're a trio this go around too. Like Yveltal / Xerneas / Zygarde and Kyurem / Zekrom / Reshiram. I'd find it very weird and suspicious that the two boxart legends are based off the sun & moon, so where is the Star legendary / mythical <- (i'm betting it's a mythical)? Maybe that's something they'll reveal later.
Lysander literally talked about wanting to commit genocide, and had started up a machine that drained the life of a bunch of pokemon. Also in X, after you beat him for the final time, he tries blowing up the hideout with you in it in an attempt to kill you. Ghetsis ordered Kyurem to kill you, among other things involving N. The villains for the past two gens have been rather evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)