Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why…? Why does it have to be a stupid cat?? I fucking hate cats!! And to make it worse, I really like owls! But I always choose the Fire Type starter…

I hope Bank is available before any important battles like in ΩRuby. If not, I'll have to wait until the Daycare is available to try my luck with the GTS (insert sarcastic laugh here).

I really don't want to spend a lot of time stuck with Kitty Litter.

I, honest to God, hope you don't mean something like this:

Do we really want another "too much water" review/meme/whatever?

*Ahem* I wish I had the money to buy both versions. The Moon Legendary looks so good… But I always buy the "red" one
well maybe it will evolve into a tiger

I have to say it again, because people aren't seeing it
Solgaleo is a Pyroar clone

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'm calling it now, we have flying fighting rock as over superior typings instead of compensating.

Grass flying

Fire rock

Water fighting.

Just think about it, volcanic stones like obsidian are jet black just like Litten, in a region known for its volcanic activity Litten could work. On the water starter if it goes from seal to Elephant seal I can see it going water fighting given that those guys fight for their harems.

Just think of it, fire water grass with composite rock flying fighting.

Esmeya brought this up to me, but I like the fact that Litten is SE on Rowlet. Because fire cats beat grass birds, you see.

I'm also thinking that Litten'll go either Poison or Dark down the line, but it's way too early to make any speculations on typing, at least in my book. (Though Norne 's ideas of rock sounds pretty cool.)

(Also do you guys have an idea of what Lunaala is based on? Because a buddy of mine was thinking it's based off of dreamcatchers, but it couldn't hurt to have more opinions!)

I see a problem with the region
a) Its tiny, so I assume there are more parts to the region and we have only seen part of it
b) Half the island is a city (equivalent of Honolulu)
c) It is an equivalent of Oahu
d) There only seems to be that one city, and the rest is a lot of routes and forest
e) That's an interesting idea, but it is questionable on how there will be 8 gyms and multiple cities...
f) This is a region similar to Hoenn

In other news
Litten Litleo
both are fire type cats

Rowlet Rufflet
both are too similar

Leafage??????
this name though

gf running out of ideas?

This again helps me in the argument that it is best if no more new pokemon or moves are created and new games should have new regions, new mega evos, and new characters but thats it

Last edited:
Want a possible justification for that? Rowlet is a Grass/Flying bird. Popplio is a seal, which historically has led to a secondary Ice type. Now, which type sort of forms a type triangle with Ice and Flying, being weak to one both offensively and defensively and hitting the other super-effectively?

Given that Leafage is Rowlet's starting move, and mentioned in the exact same terms as Ember and Water Gun... I wouldn't hold my breath. If anything, making a dual-type move and then giving it a base power of 40 would be a bigger disappointment than a Special Vine Whip.

Never mind the argument of simplicity: Anything presented early in the game will be as simple as possible, to ease new players into the mechanics. Having the first Grass move you encounter be an exception to how Grass moves usually react, would be pretty bad design. Dual-type moves are very complex, and better suited for a much later encounter.
Pls no, now I can't unhear that, I mean Blaziken is my favourite pokemon but after Emboar I just hate the fact :(

I see a problem with the region
a) Its tiny, so I assume there are more parts to the region and we have only seen part of it
b) Half the island is a city (equivalent of Honolulu)
c) It is an equivalent of Oahu
d) There only seems to be that one city, and the rest is a lot of routes and forest
e) That's an interesting idea, but it is questionable on how there will be 8 gyms and multiple cities...
f) This is a region similar to Hoenn

In other news
Litten Litleo
both are fire type cats

Rowlet Rufflet
both are fire type cats

Leafage??????
this name though

gf running out of ideas?

This again helps me in the argument that it is best if no more new pokemon or moves are created and new games should have new regions, new mega evos, and new characters but thats it
Rufflet and Rowlet both fire type cats? ;)

Meanwhile, Zygarde is now bawling in a corner as it remains forgotten by GameFreak and the fans.
I'd assume Zygarde would get development in either Su/Mo, or even the next game after. It has a lot of attention in the anime, and there's nothing stopping Game Freak from trying to tie in Kalos' legends with a different region's, non?

Want a possible justification for that? Rowlet is a Grass/Flying bird. Popplio is a seal, which historically has led to a secondary Ice type. Now, which type sort of forms a type triangle with Ice and Flying, being weak to one both offensively and defensively and hitting the other super-effectively?
I know you're just playing devil's advocate here but, I think the discussion somewhere in this thread about Litten becoming fire/rock has some merit. Volcanic rock in a Hawaiin region seems very plausible. Everything in the description of Poplio leads me to believe it's fighting with the talk of its acrobatic movements. Then we have a different type triangle:

Grass/Flying=>Water/Fighting=>Fire/Rock

That works just as neatly...

Please

Also am I the only annoyed that now I'll have to teach the dictionary in my phone not to autocorrect all these new names? .-.

I feel like we will be surfing a whole lot less than we would imagine. I feel airplanes or ferries will the main form of transit in this region. I mean as we know this island looks like it only has maybe one or two cities on it. That's a bit too early to give us a 90 BP water typed move. Plus, it'll get monotonous to travel between islands by surfing constantly. Especially if we're talking about a game with a real sense of scale like this game might actually be.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
ALOHA!

FINALLY got through all the comments! But all for a good reason, finally GF's teasing has come to a (temporary) end as they finally gave us our first peak of Sun & Moon! And though I promised to be salty... I couldn't help but squee in childish delight at seeing the Legendaries and Starters. But I think I can be allowed that, because after my first initial watch of both trailers I went into observation mode. But there's something I need to address, by the definition I set for myself, I'm just suppose to be "meh" to the news. But I just can't, at least not completely. So instead I'm going to go into this with both a "sugary and salty" mood, sort of a pro and con where I tell both my excitement and my criticism. Sugary will be in dark blue, salty will be in dark red. Though honestly you're probably done of me talking so let's get to it:

0:15:
"The All-New Adventure You've All Been Waiting For!". Pokemon Z!? "Pokemon Sun & Moon". Oh...
0:20:
Hm, the playable male trainer's (and later on the female) default appearance honestly looks bland. Like I know they subtly confirmed customization but still Calem & Serena still had that "Playable Trainer" vibe to them other protagonists had.
0:24
OH MY ARCEUS! They're using the in-battle graphics as the overworld graphics too! And the overworld isn't grid-based, it's like actual terrain! THE POKEMON WORLD LIVES (and looks beautiful, especially the later shot of in the city)! Does this also mean that now all trainers will have a model during battle instead of their stock art except for a few notable trainers?
And now we put to rest the last graphical resemblance the 3D games had with the sprite games. While I'm excited they're using the in-battle models now and you have free movement, at the same time I'll miss the grid and the "chibi" overworld models. Can't exactly explain why, and it just might be the genwunner in me, but one thing that comes to mind that when they switched from overworld to in-battle models it sort of like telling your mind when to switch modes from an adventurer to a battler. Not a major problem, but might feel strange at first, especially with the free roaming. Also, now that we're using the in-battle models, hey GF, what about them walking Pokemon?
1:01:
Wow, that "region map"! Or rather part of it. Being this region is taking heavy influence from Hawaii and/or other Polynesian islands it only makes sense that the region will be a chain of islands. Though from the looks of it instead of giving us one map art we might get one for each island (and maybe one that's pulled further away with less detail)... or this is one REALLY big and detailed map.
If its true this is going to be a series of islands than 7.8/10, TOO MUCH WATER. Okay, joking aside it would mean, similar to Hoenn and the Sevii Islands, Surfing is going to be a major part of the game (like they'll probably have a ferry service between islands but what about all the secrets?). Pokemon is going to really need to update their water environment game. Make it more enjoyable to Surf around (and to Dive if they include it), vary the water biomes, give us stuff to do in the water (and maybe either decrease encounter rates or have different water areas (clear/light blue water is "safe", sea blue is encounter waters, and dark blue is divable or other kind of encounter like Double/Horde)).
1:03:
Oh look, the Strange Souvenir's cousins! Also does the running animation look a bit wonky?
1:06:
Hm? Odd they put emphasis on that NPC. Rival (or at least one of them)? EDIT: Oh, I think it's the mother! Evident from the Japanese trailer.
1:17:
Well this is no doubt a rival. Not much to say though he sort of reminds me Barry, sort of aloof (at least the few seconds that we see).
Please GF, one or two rivals is fine but don't overload us with 4 like with XY. Compare the rival's character development of XY (very little with more put on Serena/Calem & Shauna) to ORAS (while May/Brendan didn't get that much, Wally sure did).

0:01:
Aw, hitting your right there in the nostalgia.
Pulling out the ol' nostalgia to manipulate our heart string, ay?
0:05:
It's interesting the Japanese trailer is story based (a Japanese kid moving to Hawaii and connecting with his fellow classmates through Pokemon), it's touching and resonates the message that the 20th Anniversary had been about: Pokemon is not just a kid's game but has become a social and bonding experience over multiple cultures and people. We may look different, speak different languages, and have different beliefs and customs, but show us a picture of any Pokemon and, though it may have a different name, it's the same Pokemon and everything that it makes up.
But message of togetherness aside, while an interesting way to reveal the game also doesn't show that much about the game. Honestly I think they should have released both trainers for all audiences.
0:59:
CUSTOMIZATION CONFIRMED!
Hey look, we can finally be black instead of ambiguously brown. Hair color seems still seems to be limited. Would it be that hard to let us choose skin and hair color separately?
1:02:
So... anyone want to translate this? Also before you get excited about finally being allowed to not wear a hat, looks like the playable character just moved in... WAIT A MOMENT. Is the story of this trailer going to be the story of the game? Playable character originally from Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh and moved to Alola?
1:47:
Just wanted to say this cutscene is cute, us picking up our starter after picking it. :)
2:05:
Oh, its mystery girl from the international trailer... though now that we get a better look she's much more older... she's the player's mother, isn't she? Well that's one mystery solved. Also, in the background you see a Meowth, possibly hinting that the player is originally from Kanto.
2:07:
Blink and you'll miss it! Trainers seem to now stand behind their Pokemon. Neat!

STARTERS:
Rowlet:

Hmm, a plant owl Grass/Flying starter, that's interesting. Hey, Tropius and Hoppip family, how's that going for ya (especially those weaknesses)? I find this one okay, nothing outstanding but can't say I don't like anything about it. I like the grass bow tie and the additional art of it turning its head is cute. It's description certainly opens up moves it can have from sound-based, increase priority, kicking, and leaf-based. But I do have to question where on the stat scale is it? From what it sounds like it's physical which honestly limits it a tad as the best Grass- and Flying-type moves are Special (and with Rowlet's design I find the Physical moves it could have being limited, especially for Grass-type moves). Overall I think those who pick Rowlet will have an interesting experience ahead of them.
Litten:
WOOT, Fire-type time. Unfortunately I'm not too keen on it. It just looks bland, but it's attacking animation is funny with the hairs on the back rising (and the tips turning red). It's description is where it shines, oily fur and uses "fiery hair balls" to attack (I want a move called that now). It sounds very much like the Special Attacker which, though stereotypical, is where Fire-types do the best. The idea of it becoming a Fire/Poison-type is interesting, though I'm holding back my expectation lest it becomes Fire/Fighting (yes, I'm reviving that joke). I'll be picking it anyway, and here's hoping it oily, highly flammable fur is more awesome than gross!
Popplio:
The best starter of this group in my opinion! I like the design, I like its description, and I think it'll make for a good Water-type. Sure it's sort of borrowing from Oshawott (or rather its final evolution, Samurott), but Oshawott through most of its time is an otter while Popplio will be a sea lion (though I do wonder if it'll turn into a big otter or something else for its final evolution due to Samurott). Sounds like it'll be a fast mixed attacker, maybe more on the Special side (and being its a bit of a performer maybe a bit of a selection of status moves). Whatever trick Popplio has, I'm sure it'll be a treat for those who pick it.

LEGENDARIES:
(Really, you didn't name the Legendaries? Though the trademark names are probably them, I'm just going to stay generic just in case)
Sun Lion:
I like how it looks, but it doesn't feel quite right. I'm getting a sort of Eastern vibe from it, like some says it looks like Liger Zero from Zoids but it more reminds me of the brush gods from Okami. Also, we just got off of a generation that had a fire lion and this gen's fire starter is another fire feline! While it looks much grandeur than Pyroar (and probably Litten's final evolution), still had they saved the idea of a fire/sun lion for this gen I think it would feel much more unique. I also like the subtle similarity contrast between them, with them having a constellation head dome where their eyes (and logo on their forehead) is but instead of their version color it's the other (so Fire Lion has a blue sun and Moon Bat has a orange moon (though you could barely tell)).
Moon Bat:
I really like this design... so it's Moon version for me! Unlike the Sun Lion this design feels more unique, maybe not Hawaiian/Polynesian either but I can't place it basis on anything else. The skeletal-like body (which is just an upper torso) is what really makes it stand out, everything else just adding onto it (and the void-like dark body goes well with its constellation dome head). One may say it looks a bit humanoid, but I think it does enough to prevent it from looking that out of place. Also its Signature Move looks more devastating than Sun Lion's.

Alola: Just a quick comment here since I talked about what I wanted to about the region in the trailers, really with the name? "Alola"? A bit on the nose there, GF. :P

Kukia & Hala: Hmm, well it certainly seems like both are playing part of the Professor role. It could be similar to the Professor Junipers, Hala is a senior Professor while Kukia is the "active" Professor. Or Kukia could be Hala's assistant, Hala being a more casual Professor while Kukia "follows" the dress code (as long as you're wearing a lab coat it doesn't matter what you where underneath even if it's nothing, right?). I'm going to reserve my judgement for now until we get more clear info.

Leafage: Simply called "This Leaf" in the original Japan, I disagree with it being based off "Leaf + Plummage" due to that. As for it being a Special attack, eh, maybe? Honestly, being it's compared to Ember & Water Gun, it's probably not going to be anything noteworthy anyway. Though if it is the Grass-type Special move to Vine Whip, where is the Physical equivalent for Ember & Water Gun?

CONCLUSION:
Now this is the info we've been wanting! Video showing gameplay, introduction to the Starters, and a glimpse of the Mascot Legendaries. It's nice we finally got it, but that's my issue with it, it's something we should have had already. Okay, fine, they didn't want to show us when they announced Sun & Moon, but should have been give to us the month after. When teased with news from April's CoroCoro this should have been released just before/alongside it. While I'm super excited for this news and seeing the first glimpse of a new generation, well, there's a reason why some of this text is blue and a good bit of it is red.

Now some comment responses:

New Chinese names are assigned to the original 151.
In which, sometimes, the Hong Kong name is used, whilst sometimes the Taiwanese name is used.
There are also cases where 2 names fused to each other,
but there are also cases where neither are used.

I hope the negativity in Chinese speaking countries can settle down as soon as possible.
The negativity is horrid.
Oh, that's pretty neat. Wonder why they made the name decisions they did.

What negativity?

Notice anything weird? Namely, in the one part you can see in the CoroCoro? That's right, something's missing, and I'm not talking about the green 7. Where's Solgaleo's foot? In the CoroCoro, we can see an area roughly 1/3 of the box height and 1/3 of the width. Meanwhile, Solgaleo's foot can't be more than 20% from the bottom left corner of the box, so it should be clearly visible in the washed out CoroCoro version. In other words... CoroCoro wasn't just trolling us with the "lens flash ruining the picture" (ignoring the fact that the streaks of light don't match up at all with a camera flash); the boxes themselves were total BS. Now, if you look, there is indeed something in that position in the CoroCoro boxart, but its colours don't match Solgaleo's foot at all. I'd wager that's a part of the Japanese logo we saw.
I kind of figured the image they used for CoroCoro was blank form the get-go. As you said, even with the flash we would have still made out side details (and probably even dark markings through the flash). Also why didn't the CoroCoro reporter at least tell us what the Legendaries looked like? They were still trolling, but it's because GF wasn't ready to give out Pokemon Sun & Moon news.

Flight Rising Pokemon discussion people have also noticed another thing. Litten's tail seems to be rather sharp, and they're taking it as a possibility of it becoming a chimera or manticore. Both of which would be pretty awesome, but I honestly see it as just a bit of tail floof.
Oh not that rumor again. They the same thing was said about Litleo. The end of the tail is suppose to have a shape of a flame in a form of roughed hair. Honestly the Litleo one seemed more plausible because at lease Litleo's tail was a different color and looked a bit like a scorpion stinger.

I'm curious what Popplio's final typing will be? Dunno what typing clowns/jesters would be related to or maybe he'll be pure Water. Maybe he'll be Water/Fairy? I could see that since Mr Mime is a Psychic/Fairy. Also yes by my avatar you can see I'm team Popplio.
Or, you know, pure Water.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Leafage turned out to be one of those moves that counts as both Grass and Flying, given that it's a exclusive starting move for a Grass/Flying-starter.

Or maybe that's just me having more faith in Game Freak than it just turning out to be a special-move Vine Whip variation.
Who says it's a Signature Move?

Meanwhile, Zygarde is now bawling in a corner as it remains forgotten by GameFreak and the fans.
I remember Zygarde :(

#TeamMoon #TeamLitten

Rufflet and Rowlet both fire type cats? ;)

duly noted

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did anyone notice how the characters in the games are closer in appearance to the cutscenes from ORAS ad XY?

duly noted

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did anyone notice how the characters in the games are closer in appearance to the cutscenes from ORAS ad XY?
I thought that the characters in general looked a lot better, and a lot cleaner, in the scene were the main character is running through the city, he runs past a guy next to a car/truck idk, and the model looks really crisp and I was more blown away with that more than anything to be honest, which is a bit strange

I know you're just playing devil's advocate here but, I think the discussion somewhere in this thread about Litten becoming fire/rock has some merit. Volcanic rock in a Hawaiin region seems very plausible. Everything in the description of Poplio leads me to believe it's fighting with the talk of its acrobatic movements. Then we have a different type triangle:

Grass/Flying=>Water/Fighting=>Fire/Rock

That works just as neatly...

Please

Also am I the only annoyed that now I'll have to teach the dictionary in my phone not to autocorrect all these new names? .-.
I am the one saying that, live near the Chichonal, an active volcano and there are loads of obsidian stones, heck weapons made of obsidian can actually destroy steel and behead horses with ease.

So yep I know of this stuff, if alola is based on volcanic islands then using a stone fire starter isn't farfetched at all, picture obsidian claws on a flame engulfed tiger, now that's metal as fuck.

Also elephant seals are badassery incarnated.

Last edited:
I thought that the characters in general looked a lot better, and a lot cleaner, in the scene were the main character is running through the city, he runs past a guy next to a car/truck idk, and the model looks really crisp and I was more blown away with that more than anything to be honest, which is a bit strange
Yes Cause they are the same as the ORAS cutscenes

Regarding new abilitys
Pixilate, Refridgerate and Aerilate were given to types that have a lack of decent attacking moves
I could see Germinate happening to give grass types a boost

Even though they share literally nothing in common other than looking like lions
No they have the same mane style and the same body style. the only difference is the coloring and added minor designs

Please don't gang up on me if you're a part of this crowd, but...

I don't get the hate for Popplio. I've personally wanted a seal-esque starter for some time now and I fail to see why peeps don't like Popplio.

Mind you, I have no issue if you don't like it, but this quite honestly bugs me...

Did you know that lions look a certain way? Shocking
no the style though

Please don't gang up on me if you're a part of this crowd, but...

I don't get the hate for Popplio. I've personally wanted a seal-esque starter for some time now and I fail to see why peeps don't like Popplio.

Mind you, I have no issue if you don't like it, but this quite honestly bugs me...
Its because of the ball on its nose. I always liked how the pokemon were natural-looking, but unless a pokemon is specifically man-made, to be related to a human thing makes it kind of uncool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)