Unpopular opinions

I'm just gonna assume this is an unpopular opinion because no one really talks about these games. While on the topic of spin-offs, I LOVED Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Alamia and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. The latter would probably be in a list of my top 5 favorite games of all time. PMD had an amazing story with twists, tragedy and was just downright epic. It also had a huge post game which opened up many new dungeons to explore, some of which expanded the story further. It even had side-stories that further developed some of the minor characters. So much content!

The gameplay was so good too. So many tense moments in this game.

• Getting low on pp and hp and just desperately hoping for an elixir, apple or staircase to appear around the corner.
  • Stepping into a monster house and hearing that dreaded music that just screams danger.
  • Barely laying a dent on primal dialga at the end of the game, just knowing you're going to be in for a long epic fight. UGH SO GOOD.

Acting like a fucking fanboy wow. I don't know if I'm being blinded by nostalgia but I can go on and on about this masterpiece man. Losing my copy still keeps me up at night lol.
I'll just repost something I said earlier because I'm to lazy to type it again :p

I think the best game in the franchise is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, a side game. A big factor for me is the story. I feel like Sky has a greater emphasis on story than main series games and other side games (last played Pokemon Ranger a long time ago so I can't comment on that). Sky certainly has it's moments, such as when you're pulled into an apocalyptic, depressing future of the planet's paralysis, when it's revealed Dusknoir is actually a villain, when you technically die at the end of the main game, that has a strong impact as well as your watching your partner emotionally collapse after your death or watching the baby Manaphy get dragged into the sea away from the only two Pokemon it knows and regards as parent like figures without understanding why? The list could go on, really. I also like the game play of Sky as well. I like the way moves are adapted into a dungeon crawler and enjoy them having range. The game is also quite long. Almost all of the characters have interesting or quirky personalities and I enjoy the dialogue in this game more than any other. The music was also spectacular, only being beaten by a few other tracks in the main series.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I haven't come across a lot of people that said they liked the Ranger games, but I also haven't come across many that they hated them, either. I think fans are largely apathetic about that spin-off series.

People do love the shit out of Sky, though, so liking it isn't really an unpopular opinion.

I haven't come across a lot of people that said they liked the Ranger games, but I also haven't come across many that they hated them, either. I think fans are largely apathetic about that spin-off series.

People do love the shit out of Sky, though, so that's not really an unpopular opinion.
It's a shame my last experience of the Ranger games was when I was really young. And of course people love the shit out of Sky! Even if IGN gave it 4.9/10 (I guess ORAS wasn't the first BS review :p)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

People do love the shit out of Sky, though, so liking it isn't really an unpopular opinion.
The rangers games seem to be popular in Japan from what I observed.
But not like as popular as mystery dungeon.

I like the concept of the Ranger games, but I'm not really coordinated enough to play them well enough. I'm a weird guy who doesn't have enough coordination to draw loops fast.

I recently played Ranger (bought 2nd hand) for a shiny Manaphy. It grew on me but I found it brutally difficult, aggressively railroady and forcing the player to rewatch cutscenes after a failed boss battle was a very definite faux pas.
What kinda killed it for me is that you simply do not get a moment to simply expore until you reach the postgame. Realising the assists that work for you at your own tempo would've been nice, rather than the frantic scurrying for usable mons you needed to do to beat the Flygon/Salamence/Charizard/Entei boss battles.

Haven't played the sequels though, they might've fixed it?

I recently played Ranger (bought 2nd hand) for a shiny Manaphy. It grew on me but I found it brutally difficult, aggressively railroady and forcing the player to rewatch cutscenes after a failed boss battle was a very definite faux pas.
What kinda killed it for me is that you simply do not get a moment to simply expore until you reach the postgame. Realising the assists that work for you at your own tempo would've been nice, rather than the frantic scurrying for usable mons you needed to do to beat the Flygon/Salamence/Charizard/Entei boss battles.

Haven't played the sequels though, they might've fixed it?
You actually got a Ranger I cartridge with an unredeemed Manaphy egg? How much did that cost you?

Oh. I guess I'm with the minority side of Ranger vs. Mystery Dungeon: I've played only of the former series and none of the latter. I played the first two Ranger games, with the first one played with a friend and the second (Shadows of Almia) owned.

To throw my opinion out here on the Ranger series,
Do I like the Ranger gameplay mechanic? Of course I do--it's fun and feels rewarding to try to capture Pokémon using a method that takes more effort than just selecting moves from a menu. Of the games I played, Shadows of Almia (Ranger 2) is much more fun and forgiving than Ranger 1, since Ranger 2...
  • does not require one to have to capture a Pokémon with a single stroke of loops, which is where the difficulty in Ranger 1 stems from.
  • has the Steel Poké Assist, which, in my opinion, is the best Assist in that game.
  • has the Dragon Poké Assist, which lets you "Drop a Draco" (actually a generic meteor but is still awesome).
Do I like Ranger 2 overall? Well, it has its ups and downs...actually thinking about it almost everything about it is a combination of hit and miss for me.
The missions and side missions can either be really fun or very dull, no single character in the game stands out unless its his or her time in the spotlight, and the Almia region's landmarks range from being nothing noteworthy to me wishing these were included in the main Pokémon games (shoutout to Almia Castle!). The Pokémon themselves were my favorite part of the game--they look cool, they all have unique behaviors when in the midst of a capture, and all of them are immediately useful because of Field Abilities and Poké Assists.

I always thought most Ranger fans probably felt in some way similarly: that the series is good and all but does not deserve high praise due to a number of flaws that prevent it from being great.

You actually got a Ranger I cartridge with an unredeemed Manaphy egg? How much did that cost you?
This reminded me that I never redeemed my own Manaphy egg out of Shadows of Almia yet...or the Aura Sphere Riolu...or the Darkrai...or the Shaymin (which can't be transferred but would like regardless).

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Making the Manaphy egg redeemable only once per cartridge (regardless if you restart the save) was dumb and completely unnecessary. I mean, if you're gonna release a game that can be played through within a few hours, and burns through the DS's touchscreen and several screen protectors, at least allow us to redeem the most valuable aspect of the game more than once.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Making the Manaphy egg redeemable only once per cartridge (regardless if you restart the save) was dumb and completely unnecessary. I mean, if you're gonna release a game that can be played through within a few hours, and burns through the DS's touchscreen and several screen protectors, at least allow us to redeem the most valuable aspect of the game more than once.
Adding onto that, Pokemon Rangers: Guardian Sign locking Deoxys behind a multiplayer level was also dumb and completely unnecessary. And to compound the error, only the mission leader gets the Deoxys and it only gets the special move if you capture it in one of its forms which its constantly switching between (Meteor Mash via Attack Forme). Like I would have been alright with it if it was just a difficult mission to complete on your own, but no, there's a point in the mission which requires two players to stand on a switch to open up the area of the mission. And I think that Deoxys is also one per cartridge (yet anyone not the leader, even if they have an unredeemed Deoxys, doesn't get one). Oh, and it's local Wifi the mission and a 2 and a half star difficulty.

And just in general I hate it when GF tries forcing multiplayer stuff on us to complete something. Like I'm okay if you get a bonus from multiplayer stuff like with the O-Powers, that's optional and you don't need it, but then we get something like the Medals in Black 2 & White 2 which has Medals requiring you to do multiplayer stuff and a bit of it required local Wifi.
And another thing about Medals, you can no longer 100% it anyway. Some Medal stuff required the Dream World, so that's another faux pas; don't base any 100% collection thing on a service which may not be around after that generation.

I don't think this could be called unpopular; everyone here agrees most likely.

How good are the pmd games on the 3DS? Didn't pick them up because they didn't seem to have the charm of explorers of sky.

If they are as good, I'll sure as hell get them at some point.

How good are the pmd games on the 3DS? Didn't pick them up because they didn't seem to have the charm of explorers of sky.

Gates to Infinity seems almost universally hated; people liked Super when it came out and then I heard like nothing about it.
Do we have a PMD discussion thread actually? It'd make sense.

As Kurona said, PMD: Gates To Infinity is hated by almost everyone. PSMD has received decently well, but most fans seem to agree that PMD2 is the better game. To hard to call PMD1 VS PSMD, though.

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion but my reason might be.
I hope the games from now on keep at least the basic idea of secret bases of ORAS. I don't give a damn about collecting plushes or accessories, but I sure like having Blissey trainers around to lower the time of grinding.
There are already over 700 Pokemon and if I happen to catch or breed them again because another nature is better on it or other game mechanic changes...I don't want to sit around 2 days leveling something to lv50 or 100.

In fact, I hope the number of Pokemon increase to 6 per team on a base.

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion but my reason might be.
I hope the games from now on keep at least the basic idea of secret bases of ORAS. I don't give a damn about collecting plushes or accessories, but I sure like having Blissey trainers around to lower the time of grinding.
There are already over 700 Pokemon and if I happen to catch or breed them again because another nature is better on it or other game mechanic changes...I don't want to sit around 2 days leveling something to lv50 or 100.

In fact, I hope the number of Pokemon increase to 6 per team on a base.
Or... they could bring back that triple battle restaurant with the Audino that also pays out insane cash in balm mushrooms and can be challenged infinitely.
That is, to date, by far the best place to train in Pokémon.

Gen3 was my least favourite in Pokemon. There I said it. I always found the Pokemon in Hoenn very uninteresting and it was a massive disappointment after playing Gen2 which was like the greatest thing to ever happen. Gen1 always has nostalgia value but Gen2 was just perfect in so many ways. I also loved Gen4 and didn't like Gen5 :P

Reactions: JES
Gen3 was my least favourite in Pokemon. There I said it. I always found the Pokemon in Hoenn very uninteresting and it was a massive disappointment after playing Gen2 which was like the greatest thing to ever happen. Gen1 always has nostalgia value but Gen2 was just perfect in so many ways. I also loved Gen4 and didn't like Gen5 :P
I sorta agree. I mean, after playing Crystal, Sapphire felt incomplete. Kanto and Johto were missing, and I'd have dreams of finding a hidden additional region, complete with even more, powerful Pokémon at scary-high levels, and an additional 8 gyms to challenge, on quite a few occasions. Emerald was better though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 12)