Game of Thrones [thronies rejoice! XD]

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what a shitshow

Why ruin Dorne, why even include Dorne? If this is what you are going to do with it, there wasn't any reason to have it. Talk about completely deviating from the source material. This is Full Metal Alchemist Anime levels of off the rails.

If you need any more proof of absolutely terrible writing, look at Dany's ship situation. Last seasons throwaway line about getting the ships meant that a certain character was probably not going to in the show. But now it seems like yes he will be. They can't plan ahead for the life of them.

I'm only going to watch this show out of some slight curiosity, and so I can figure out how the books will go when they are finished in 20 years with GRRM on life support.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
There was a post here earlier that mostly revolved around insulting users above, and probably would have been responded to in kind.

But in case he comes back and checks, I think I could try a more neutral answer as to how a show could maybe be considered one of the "best ever" but also be really shitty show right now.

Most adaptations don't have "strict guidelines" at all to make sure they are faithful, and that's something that at various points Game of Thrones actually excelled at. Season 1 is about as perfect an adaptation as it could possibly be, save for having a bigger budget, a few better actors, and Ned's internal dialogue. And Game of Thrones is based on some of the best source material of our day and age. You also have some of the best possible actors for certain roles, especially Tyrion, who I know many people imagined as that actor for years before a show manifested (on the other hand, characters that are LOVED in the books like Jon and Daenarys get a lot of hate and it's not coincidence that their actors are fairly wooden). TV is better than it ever was before, but it's still not so fully realized that a half-decent adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire couldn't be considered one of the best shows, even if it's still leagues below Breaking Bad or The Wire.

But now it's not a question of whether the show SHOULD change things or not... there is nothing left to change. The show outpaced the books. Even if GRR gives guidelines as to where it should go, we know that he's trying to make the books different from the show now, so he's giving "not good enough" material that won't have the years of work he normally puts into it. And then that has to be turned into a good show by Benioff and Weiss, and I've seen enough interviews with them to know that they've never really gotten what GoT was all about. For them and HBO, it's a perfect medium to have lots of violence and nudity, which is now cemented in the public's perception of what GoT IS as well. So when they do new stuff, it's one of those two things, or it's just BAD. 10 minute beetle scene, for instance. So the more the show has to rely on their creativity, the worse its going to be. And frankly, half of season 4 and all of 5 didn't have the best source material to draw from anyway.

But this is American TV, and this is not unusual. Almost all shows, even the best ones, get really bad before being eventually canceled. Dexter is still one of the best shows ever, and everyone knows its final seasons are dogshit. HBO original True Blood was never that faithful to its source, and did a good job of that, but eventually sucked too. Even The Wire had a bad final season, which I think might make Breaking Bad the only American TV show that ended while good. You can't shout "but it won awards" forever and expect the show to be good just as long.

Was that Ramsey almost showing remorse but "having" to do what he did so he can keep his mad dog persona well alive in people's memories should they attempt anything? That Karstark is also plotting very heavily against him. And yeah he doesn't need Sansa anymore, which means he's looking for another bride lol

From what I gather there are two theories regarding the ending:
  1. Melisandre actually revives Jon in exactly the same way that Thoros of Myr revived Beric Dondarrion in season 3, which was alluded to by Melisandre in this episode and also falls in line with Thoros only gaining his ability to resurrect people after losing faith in the Lord of Light
  2. Jon warged into Ghost after being stabbed at the end of season 5, and Ghost waking up at the end of this episode is Jon's soul returning to his body
Overall theory 1 makes more sense and is most likely the direction that the show is taking, but I personally like theory 2 a lot better despite the inconsistencies (Jon's eyes never turned white, Starks are only all implied to be wargs in the books).

Season 6 seems messy and fast-paced so far so I'm a little apprehensive about where it goes.

a third theory I heard of yesterday was that Bran was the reason Jon came back and not Melisandre. no details or anything cause I heard it from Tesung who heard it from a friend, does anyone know of this?

Bran can see shit (including the past) through the weirwood trees, because they are all connected and he can experience what they see / saw, warg into animals and weak minded people (warging into a normal person = bad for everyone involved), and sorta "whisper" to people near the trees in the present. There are 0 reasons to believe he pulled the power to revive Jon out of his ass, especially because nothing hints to that in the books or the show (the books heavily focus on Melisandre being at the wall and only seeing "Snow" in her flames [with the capitalized S, because fuck being subtle]), and why wouldn't the showrunners show Bran reviving Jon? They spent 5 minutes on Melisandre ritual, kinda silly to do for no reason and not show the real reason Jon is back.

Also @ Jon warging to ghost: They have refused to show any Stark not called Bran warging into their wolves, despite having countless chances to do so, why would they change that after 50 episodes? Just saying "Melisandre revived him" is much simpler and doesn't changes the outcome. Ghost waking up means that he felt something and woke up; it's a dog with dog senses.

I think the highlight of the entire episode for me was the Tyrion scene with the dragons. The thing that raised eyebrows for me was how the dragons reacted to his presence, they started to lash out against him but once they saw him they just stopped. If you aren't aware, there is a theory, albeit a little weak, that suggests that Tyrion is actually a Targaryen and is the son of the Mad King Aerys. From the books, the evidence is weak but since the show is deviating it's not out of the realm of possibilities the show might take. T

Also Tower of Joy for this week's episode.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think the highlight of the entire episode for me was the Tyrion scene with the dragons. The thing that raised eyebrows for me was how the dragons reacted to his presence, they started to lash out against him but once they saw him they just stopped. If you aren't aware, there is a theory, albeit a little weak, that suggests that Tyrion is actually a Targaryen and is the son of the Mad King Aerys. From the books, the evidence is weak but since the show is deviating it's not out of the realm of possibilities the show might take. T

Also Tower of Joy for this week's episode.
why would tywin keep him alive if he wasn't even his son, i thought he said the only reason he wasn't killed is because he is a lannister? is his mother still the same then?

why would tywin keep him alive if he wasn't even his son, i thought he said the only reason he wasn't killed is because he is a lannister? is his mother still the same then?
Yes, according to the theory Tyrion's mother is Joanna (Tywin's wife) and his father is the Mad King Aerys. Again I'm not saying this theory to be very strong but it would explain why the dragons reacted the way they did towards Tyrion, it might be the direction the show takes and not the books.

I also linked a video in my last post that explains the theory and its potential holes, I'll link it again though.

Poor Rickon :( Oh well, more fuel to fire I suppose, unless Ramsey pulls a rabbit out of a hat and does something unusual

I was pretty underwhelmed with this latest episode. I don't think there was a scene in the entire episode that served another purpose other than to try and transition to future episodes. I feel like this has been happening more and more as the show goes on. Where it once was a mix of transition followed by action, we've been hitting a whole bunch of transitions recently and it's somewhat frustrating. Honestly, the only big thing to have happened in the three episodes of the sixth season was what happened to Jon Snow. Everything else is just setup, and slow set up at best.

In a lot of ways, I feel a lot like Bran in his visions. I want to stay and watch more, yet I keep getting pulled out right when the god damned interesting part is happening. I don't need to see another High Sparrow scene that leads nowhere. And while I love Tryion, I don't need to see him wise cracking and small talking with characters. Or Danarys completing things in 3 scenes that she could have done in 1.

I mean, they've set up a great season with a lot of things that are about to happen. I'm excited for them. But it's kind of a downer to get through an entire episode and not get very far story wise. Especially when there are only 10 episodes in a season...

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SHAGGYDOG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Good chance that was just a regular wolf and Umber is planning on betraying Ramsay. Absolutely refused to make oaths, small wolf's head when we know grey wind could fit over Robb a year previous timeline, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)